Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm just gonna start off and say that Rogue Squadron for the N64 was fuckin dope and the sequel on the gamecube was hella trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSTDeathFlight
Jan 22, 2020
KOTOR is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

Worst would probably be Star Wars Galaxies after it was ruined w/ Jedi and CU. It felt and looked like Second Life with a Star Wars mod.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm just gonna start off and say that Rogue Squadron for the N64 was fuckin dope and the sequel on the gamecube was hella trash.

Hard disagree, Rogue Leader was rad. Maybe you're thinking of Rebel Strike?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 22, 2020

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Star Wars: Rebellion is my favorite Star Wars game of all time.

http://www.swrebellion.com/

Its an old quasi-X4 game from 1997, is UI is awful, the space battles are blocky and lackluster.... but the game mechanics make up all that.

The game starts with you as the head of the rebellion or the empire just as the first death star is blown up, and from there on is up to you how to proceed.

You recruit characters from the old EU, they get stats to accomplish missions like diplomacy, sabotage, etc.

The way you conduct yourself is up to you, you can invade planets with troops, only for the population to despise you, you can sway them to your course with diplomacy missions. Planets can rebel against your rule if they don't have enough loyalty (even against the rebels), you can crush the uprising with troops, or subdue it with commandos and heroes.

Speaking of heroes, you can capture enemy heroes as the rebels, to keep the empire without key figuers. Like wise the empire can capture or kill rebel heroes to do the same.

Heroes can die in space battles, ground invasions and in botched missions.

The game ends if the rebels capture corusant and both vader and the emperor.

The empire wins if luke and mon mothma are captured and their mobile headquarters (that is like cloud city) is destroyed.

Both sides can build unlimited ships and troops, as long as they have resources to build them AND maintain them, the later is very expensive.

The empire also can build unlimited death stars, but destroying planets is the fastest way for the empire to lose sympathy among the people of the galaxy son they are not recommended for that role, only to one shot capital rebel ships.

I could go on and on about this game, but i must stop now.

Its on steam and on GOG if someone is interested.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Hard disagree, Rogue Leader was rad. Maybe you're thinking of Rebel Assault?

Oh gently caress, I forgot about Rogue Leader. Rogue Leader was still great. Rebel Strike for the gamecube was trash cuz of the ground missions.

Speaking of Rebel Assault, I never played the first but Rebel Assault 2 had some poo poo rear end missions that took forever for me to beat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress yeah. I put so much time into this game. I should really get it running again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh gently caress, I forgot about Rogue Leader. Rogue Leader was still great. Rebel Strike for the gamecube was trash cuz of the ground missions.

Speaking of Rebel Assault, I never played the first but Rebel Assault 2 had some poo poo rear end missions that took forever for me to beat.

Oh yeah Rogue Squadron 3 was Rebel Strike.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I always liked Star Wars Rebellion but was always terrible at actually winning the game. :saddowns:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

What was the starwars game about the robots

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

people hate on the force unleashed but it was pretty good for a psp game

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

sean10mm posted:

I always liked Star Wars Rebellion but was always terrible at actually winning the game. :saddowns:

Once you focus on acquiring and keeping safe the core planets and gaining as much resources as you can, the other side cant keep up economically and starts to loose ground, fast.

The AI don't cheat at the economy, if they don't have planets with shipyards they cannot build ships, if they don't have refineries and mines, they can't maintain the ships they have and they start to lose them to maintenance shortfalls. (the ships, troops and star ships start to be scraped or destroyed automatically)

My favorite strategy is focusing on core planets first, i usually start with diplomatic campaigns with Vader and the emperor spreading propaganda to regain loyalty, once one or two of my core planets within each system without production facilities are fully loyal, i let them unprotected, (without garrisoned troops and planetary defenses or shields) making them prime targets for the rebels to invade, but as they are fully loyal, they are hard to keep in line for them, so once they capture the planet, i send a reasonable powerful fleet with planetary bombardment capabilities and kill off all occupation rebel troops.

Liberating an occupied that is fully loyal gives surrounding planets a loyalty level spike, sufficient to turn neutral planets to your cause, and bring rebel controlled planets to the brink of uprising, ready to be liberated in the same fashion. You just have to be careful not to destroy civilian targets while bombarding because obviously thatch not good for loyalty on that planet and surrounding ones.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dont Touch ME posted:

What was the starwars game about the robots

Star Wars Droidworks? The one where you build your own robots and control them in missions? That game also ruled but I think I stopped when there started to be enemy droids in missions that would mercilessly pursue you across the map and gently caress you up.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 22, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The three star wars maps in Counter Strike, one was tattooine and you could drive the big Jawa car or a speeder or a R2 unit, one was in space and you could (badly) drive around a tie fighter, and the Hoth map which had working turrets.

There was never anyone playing on them though so it was a rare treat to actually play against people on them.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Republic Commando was fantastic and still has one of the best squad systems I've ever seen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I tried to play Rebellion but it felt impenetrable. I'd be down for a modern remake with a better UI.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

I tried to play Rebellion but it felt impenetrable. I'd be down for a modern remake with a better UI.

There is a mod for star wars Empire at War that tries to be a remake, but the limitations of that game engine cant be overcome.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rebel alliance 2 was a mediocre if kind of fun arcade-esque rail game with real filmed cutscenes, BUT, there was a cheat code that enabled COMEDY MODE where there were mst3k characters at the bottom and subtitles giving goofy alternative dialogue, and bonus scenes like when you shoot a stormtrooper into a chasm it cuts to him falling with cartoon sound effects and holding up a "Yikes!" sign and blinking like a falling wile e coyote gag

e: wait it was rebel assault 2 not alliance

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 22, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, its UI was not great and the actual gameplay was unforgiving as gently caress. Especially when playing as the rebels

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Battlefornt 2 may have been the best videogame ever

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

C-Euro posted:

Star Wars Droids? The one where you build your own robots and control them in missions? That game also ruled but I think I stopped when there started to be enemy droids in missions that would mercilessly pursue you across the map and gently caress you up.

I was actually thinking of dark forces, but that sounds even doper, how did I never hear about this

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

Battlefornt 2 may have been the best videogame ever

It's just a lovely battlefield clone imo

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Actual fave would be a tough call between TIE fighter, KOTOR, and DF3: JK2: Jedi Outcast

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Dont Touch ME posted:

It's just a lovely battlefield clone imo

Its different. My only complain about that game was that you could no pilot large ships in space, am not talking about the capital ships but at least the anti fighter corvettes.

There were mods of Battlefield 1942 where you could fly a corellian corvette and a lancer frigate, those ruled!

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

Its different. My only complain about that game was that you could no pilot large ships in space, am not talking about the capital ships but at least the anti fighter corvettes.

There were mods of Battlefield 1942 where you could fly a corellian corvette and a lancer frigate, those ruled!

Other than heroes and that galactic map gamemode, it always felt like a stripped down version of BF2 with a star wars theme :shrug:

Wasn't that star wars mod inspiration for 2142's Titan mode?

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Dont Touch ME posted:

Other than heroes and that galactic map gamemode, it always felt like a stripped down version of BF2 with a star wars theme :shrug:

I don't know but it might have.

The galactic conquest mode was great, i loved the cut-scenes when you won, those where rewarding.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dont Touch ME posted:

I was actually thinking of dark forces, but that sounds even doper, how did I never hear about this

Did a little more research and it was actually called Star Wars: Droidworks:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Droid_Works

"Edutainment" is maybe a little simplistic, it was more like an adventure game where you could build different player characters to perform different tasks. Even if you never did any missions there was a huge test map inside of a hanger or Sandcrawler or whatever that was a lot of fun to gently caress around with. Now I kind of want to dig up my old disc next time I visit my parents...

alnilam posted:

Actual fave would be a tough call between TIE fighter, KOTOR, and DF3: JK2: Jedi Outcast

I've had a copy for Jedi Outcast on GameCube forever but didn't play much past when you first get your lightsaber, which seems like a really dumb place to stop. I think I bought it on Steam eventually, I should dip back in.

VVV Yeah I think it was the sniper guys, I couldn't figure out how to close the gap on them and thought "I'll come back to this" and then picked up Morrowind or something and welp.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 22, 2020

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its pretty hosed up that right after you get your lightsaber you have to fight a bunch of guys with grenades and sniper rifles

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

cuntman.net posted:

its pretty hosed up that right after you get your lightsaber you have to fight a bunch of guys with grenades and sniper rifles

I’ve grown fonder of the early segment in outcast over the years. Used to hate not having the cool powers or even the lightsaber for five whole levels, but there's a certain simplicity in starting off by shooting up an imperial outpost, and you basically don’t get opportunities to use guns later on

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the only good star wars game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YXPw4htnQ&t=122s

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
This was the best Star Wars game because it came with like a puzzle game and that was great.

They don't mention this """Tetris"""" in any of the movies so I assume it's part of the Extended Universe.

The actual star wars game that was in there was okay as well, not great but I remember enjoying it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Battlefront 1. The original one.

And the demo of dark forces.

But actually Star Wars: Episode One: Racer.
And Lego Star Wars II, it was pretty sweet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

All you guys who love Rebellion should know that Fantasy Flight did a pretty decent board game pretty much directly inspired by it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dont Touch ME posted:

battlefront played a lot different than battlefield though since it's third person oriented and you have goofy poo poo like the jetpack guys and droidekas

too bad both of these game series suck rear end now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

also i went back to battlefront and honestly its not very good in retrospect, you've basically only got generic rifle, generic shotgun, generic sniper, and one or two special dudes; plus the AI is terrible. republic commando really holds up though

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Rebellion/Supremacy is good but its no mother loving YODA STORIES!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Yoda_Stories

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

also i went back to battlefront and honestly its not very good in retrospect, you've basically only got generic rifle, generic shotgun, generic sniper, and one or two special dudes; plus the AI is terrible. republic commando really holds up though

I know! it even have a Rogue One expansion!, but i think that both are out of print now... so copies are pretty expensive now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That Fallen Order game was surprisingly good.

I also appreciate Republic Commando actually having an original, unique soundtrack instead of the same John Williams track.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

dudeness posted:

This was the best Star Wars game because it came with like a puzzle game and that was great.

They don't mention this """Tetris"""" in any of the movies so I assume it's part of the Extended Universe.

The actual star wars game that was in there was okay as well, not great but I remember enjoying it

Clone Wars singleplayer was whatever but the multiplayer kicked rear end. I have a lot of fond memories of running people over with the Hailfire Droid, and there was a cool co-op horde mode where you play as Jedi doing the coliseum stand from Episode II.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rebellion was great and I'm glad it got mentioned so early. I used to go with an outer rim strategy where I'd just try to find an empty planet with lots of building slots and make it my dedicated troop planet or shipyards or whatever.

Jedi Outcast is the better game but I had a ton of fun with DF2: Jedi Knight multiplayer back in the days of the MSN Gaming Zone. Especially fun were the various mods you could get for the game including a total conversion DBZ mod complete with flight and transformations for a lot of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Did anyone else ever play the custom level someone made for Jedi Outcast that was like a throne room and it throws more and more and more saber wielding sith cultists at you while playing music by iirc prodigy? I got really good at saber fighting playing that over and over again.

My preferred style was purple btw (slow but strong :wiggle:)

ty manifisto