Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Guys, is it just me or was anyone else baffled that when Darth Vader fights with Obi Wan in a New Hope that Obi Wan's robe seems to be indestructible? The lightsabre cut off an arm! It burns holes through trade federations doors!

Yet when it passes through Obi-wan's robe, it just sort of pushes it to the side and little. That robe should be aflame! What was it made of? Is there an EU book that explains the mystery of Obi-wan's robe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
More importantly, why did he never stop wearing his official Jedi uniform while he was supposed to be in hiding

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Official Jedi uniform is the asbestos robe over Stormtrooper armor, no helmet

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Asgerd posted:

More importantly, why did he never stop wearing his official Jedi uniform while he was supposed to be in hiding

its comfy

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For completly unrelated reasons I'm looking at that exact scene in the script and it's written as being in two pieces there. Maybe it just didn't film well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Asgerd posted:

same reason he activated his lightsaber in the middle of a crowded bar in a town crawling with Imperial troops

because he's bad at his job

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I bet it jerks him off like Master Chief's suit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's made of type-14 duracloth which as we all know allows lasers to penetrate it but does not lose its coherence when struck which makes it pretty useless as armor, which is why the stormtroopers wear flexiplassteel that blocks the lasers but kills you anyway

Turns out armor making is hard

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

ItBreathes posted:

For completly unrelated reasons I'm looking at that exact scene in the script and it's written as being in two pieces there. Maybe it just didn't film well.

Yes. I can't find it now, but the original take where Vader cuts him in half exists out there and it looks goofy as hell, although the robe does burn a little.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
its full of midichlorians

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The robe was a sentient being, there's an entire EU Novel about it called "Threads of Fate" or something.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

dudeness posted:

The robe was a sentient being, there's an entire EU Novel about it called "Threads of Fate" or something.

I wish I had some reason to doubt this.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Here's what really happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zeRHVwpEvY

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

We don't know. We never get to see the robe worn afterwards. It just falls about into a pile -- could be into a million pieces for all we know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He didn't become all that powerful after he was struck down tbh

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
if he didnt die he wouldnt have been able to tell luke to run away

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luke....try spinning.....that's a good trick

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I am not sure the thread will ever be better than this glorious post. Thank you. Thank you forever.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I bet it jerks him off like Master Chief's suit.

Wait what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

http://twitter.com/FeHilder/status/930644058216656896

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I read those three Halo books when I was horrible little teenager and I don't remember that at all, I must've suppressed the memory to protect myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

same reason he activated his lightsaber in the middle of a crowded bar in a town crawling with Imperial troops

because he's bad at his job

Obi-wan is a man who likes fighting, drinking, and loving and well, he took a vow of chastity and temperance

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I think this quote is at least partially fake but it's what I was referring to

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

a.lo posted:

We don't know. We never get to see the robe worn afterwards. It just falls about into a pile -- could be into a million pieces for all we know.

And then Vader just stamps on it with his foot like he thinks Ben just got real small and hid somewhere inside it.

Probably some one of the storm troopers had to pick it up and send it to the trash compactor.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
probably smelled really bad

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Barudak posted:

Obi-wan is a man who likes fighting, drinking, and loving and well, he took a vow of chastity and temperance

lmao

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Barudak posted:

rent boy had a rough go of things after getting clean and finding religion

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Thread stuck until I can figure out how to get all the sticky bits off this robe

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robi-Wan Kenobi

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The robe jerks him off

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

Robi-Wan Kenobi

Kenrobi

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Wanna visit his tailor if you know what I mean.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

https://youtu.be/dhcaMyNDwbE

It's the last like 7 seconds but yeah it looks like poo poo.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

ItBreathes posted:

https://youtu.be/dhcaMyNDwbE

It's the last like 7 seconds but yeah it looks like poo poo.

gently caress, you weren't joking. His torso sticks around as if it didn't realise the rest of him had gone.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Chris Pistols posted:

gently caress, you weren't joking. His torso sticks around as if it didn't realise the rest of him had gone.

His upper half became more powerful than you could possibly imagine for about a second

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Asgerd posted:

Red Letter Media think the robe is supposed to be hobo clothes but the prequels made them into Jedi robes. I think they already had become Jedi robes in the books and video games in the 90s though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Like everybody wears robes in Star Wars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roth posted:

Like everybody wears robes in Star Wars.

Except those goddamn droids, showing their circuits for the world to see. Disgusting

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the very rich and holier than thou monastic order wear designer hobo robes, or 'hobes' for short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone wears robes but only obi has that indestructible one. I want to read a story about it and what it gets up to before and after. I hope it is called “Robe, he Won’.