Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

What is this game?

Thea is what you get when you take a 4x game like Civilization, mix it together with a survival roguelike, then decide to mix it with card based combat, and then a bit of Slavic mythology for good measure. Now that might like quite the unusual combination, but somehow, it works.

Released a few years ago by MuHa Games, they've since released what looks like a more fleshed out sequel, but I've never played it so I can't give any commentary on that. I don't ever see a lot of this game mentioned, and I think a LP would suit it well.

How much Slavic mythology? Do I need to know any?

It's honestly pretty light on its mythology to begin with while including common fantasy races as well, so you'll be fine not knowing much. It's enough to give it a nice flavor, at least.

If you know a good bit about Slavic mythology and care to share some knowledge in the thread, by all means do so.

What's the gist of the story?

The first update is the short intro of the game, but the gist is that there was a giant tree acting as a pillar of balance to the world. Humans didn't follow the warnings, it got burned down and everything got covered in evil darkness for a long time. Now we're just trying to survive the post-apocalypse since the sun came back.

Oh, and we're a god looking to regain our power as we protect our last living worshippers. (Though we're never in control of our god, really, just its people.)

Sounds cool, but why are you LPing this?

Part of it's me trying to work my way out of a depressive funk, the other half is just me wanting to play this game some more. The thing is, this game burns out kinda quickly when you really know what you're doing, similarly to Civ, and it definitely loses lots of its magic when you know how to deal with every event perfectly.

The solution? Goons.

Does that mean-

Yes, there will be lots and lots of

:siren:Thread Participation:siren:

Everything from our god choice, names, and actions will be dictated by thread votes. In fact, since every villager is personalized you can sign up to be one of our dwarves villagers.

This'll all be done in SSLP, a few turns at a time, prompting for votes whenever it seems right. I'll mostly be playing it by ear and making adjustments while we go. A typical game runs to about turn 200-250, and for the first few turns, I'll hold the reins a little tighter so I have enough time to explain some basic mechanics, but that won't be for long. Regardless of what the thread runs us into, I'll do my best to play through it as well as possible.

There's also a good soundtrack and voice acting for the whole base game, but there's really no efficient way to link to it for this style of LP.

I'm also capturing it in the best size resolution I can without super-downsizing it. This game looks horrendous at 800x600, and really not great at any resolution lower than 1600x900, so I apologize ahead of time for the images not being the clearest things in the world. As I said, I'm playing this by ear, so if you ever have any suggestions for changes, go ahead and hit me with 'em.

Updates:
Update 1: The Book of Dark, (And The First Votes)
Update 2: It Begins (Turn 1 - Turn 4)
Update 3: Malicious Mandibles (Turn 5 - Turn 8)
Update 4: Silver and Gold, Curses and Construction (Turn 9 - 27)
Update 5: A Tale of Magics, Monarchs, and Motivations (Turn 27 - 38)
Update 6: Negotiations and Banishment Songs (Turn 38 - 50)
Update 7: Striga Hunter G (Turn 51 - 63)
Update 8: Piecing Together the Past (Turn 64 - 73)
Update 9: Piles of Treasure (Turn 73 - 100)
Update 10: Chartreuse (Turns 100 - 111)
Update 11: It Begins (Turns 112 - 150)
Update 12: Monster Dance (Turns 152 - 163)
Update 13: A Cosmic Quest (Turn 163 - 174)
Update 14: The Serpent of Chaos (Turn 175 - 185)
Update 15: Epilogue

Extras:
After-lesson 1: Researching in the Age of Darkness (And More Voting)
Bonus Update: Male Portraits 1-9

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 1: The Book of the Dark (And the First Votes)

"...and so, the Darkness came, claiming all that was bright and living in Thea!"

"When all hope was lost, after a century without light, the Sun rose once more!"

Thea awakened from her dark slumber, and You, along with her.

Life to its shy roots, yet death will not release its grip easily.

While the sun keeps some of the evil in check during the fleeting days, at night...

...the creatures of Darkness roam free and angry, unwilling to give up their dominion over the land.

With that being said, which god are we/ do we worship? Each god normally has a set of powers, though I do not have all of them unlocked. In the name of being fair, we'll play with the basic set at their normal power level, even if mechanically they're not too different at first.

There are two more on the list, Lada and Perun. Lada doesn't come up much, and I'll add her to the roster if we go for a second playthrough (she has a special unlock condition). Perun is the head of the pantheon and requires all the other gods to be unlocked first. That being said, he's basically godmode as far as I know. (I've never bothered to unlock him.)

Veles

"Veles, the Keeper of the underworld, Master of mystical powers and Guardian of souls. That was Your name, before the great Darkness - now, You are simply Veles, a lost god, trying to reclaim his might.

The gates to the afterlife are slammed shut, souls of the dead roam Thea and wreak havoc among the living. All you can do for now, is continue to guide Your ragged group of followers towards survival."

Initial God Bonus: Boosted research gain

Svarog

"The God of Sun and heavenly fire, the first son of Perun. When the Darkness came, it almost took your life, filling your very being with its curse! But, you held on to life and fell down to Thea to protect those of your worshippers who still lived. Providing small rays of sunshine and warmth for as long as you could, you ensured their safety.

You know not how the sun finally returned, but now that is has, you must shine a light and blast the way for your people and for Thea!"

Initial God Bonus: Boosted experience gain

Zorya

"Dual Goddess of the morning and evening stars, the Aurora, and the Guardian of the world-devouring hound Simargl. When the Darkness came, you chose to fall down from the skies and use what power you had left to protect your worshippers!

Now the Sun is back, but only a few of your people remain, hungry, weakened, and scared. It is time to rise up, whip your men and women into shape and have them fight for their future!"

Initial God Bonus: Boosted experience gain

Horos

"The Lord of Night and Master of the Moon! But even you were struck down when the cursed Darkness came and stole your mantle! Creatures of the night that were once yours, now serve you no more.

The sun and moon have returned and so now is the time to strike back, to take what was yours, and to guide your human worshippers into a better future!"

Initial God Bonus: Boosted ranged and physical damage at nighttime.

Mokosh

"The Mother Earth - life, birth, and nature are your domain! You were once the supreme Goddess, ruling alongside Perun, but now, now everything has changed. The Darkness devoured your beloved Thea and tarnished all life.

You kept a handful of chosen worshippers alive in the bosom of your power, but they are weakened, lost and scared. You must do all you can to restore balane and to keep your people alive!"

Initial God Bonus: Faster gathering speed

Morena

"The Goddess of Death and Rebirth, like the changing seasons, your domain is the wheel of time and progress. Although you feel that the Darkness was just part of the wheel of fortune, now that the sun returned, it is time to take another step forwards!

You did not stand guard over your worshippers during the Age of Darkness, but the small rabble that did survive has impressed you enough to warrant your protection now. It is time to bring the next era, so you must guide these people towards greatness!"

Initial God Bonus: Boosted research gain

Veles- Basically Charon, but more important
Svarog- Praise the Sun
Zorya- God of War, also deadly dogs
Horos- DARKNESS
Mokosh- Mother Nature
Morena- "It's all fate, and I could care less"

We also need to vote as to whether our surviving culture is one of Gatherers, Warriors, or Crafters?

And if anyone wants to claim a spot as one of the villagers, put your name in now as well. I'll only have 7 to start with, but we'll get more (and lose some) as time goes on. If you have a preference regarding your character's class (gatherer, warrior, or crafter), you can put that down as well. You can also specify male or female, but I have very little control over that. While we're playing, if you have anything in particular you want your villager to do, just tell me.

Being dwarfed villager-ed is on a first come first serve basis. I'll keep a list of those who have signed up on my side, but if I ever forget somebody, don't hesitate to remind me.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 31, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We're a tribe of warriors dedicated to keeping Veles busy.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Never heard of this game. Sounds interesting.

I'll be a villager. Gatherer or crafter, don't mind which (I figure warriors are more likely to die horribly).

Voting Veles and since he has a research boost probably Crafter.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We are a tribe of DARKNESS GATHERERS of Dark EMO darkness all is woe and all is dark

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I'm all for darkness. I'm putting my vote in for Horos and Crafters.

Edit: Sign me up as a villager.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 31, 2020

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Sign me up as a victim villager.

Also, we should absolutely be kicking rear end and taking names with Zorya and her Warriors.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We be Nature Gatherers. And why not, throw me in.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh, let's definitely go for Darkness Gatherers.

And throw me in as a villager as well.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Nature Gatherers, and I'll be a villager as well.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Dwarf me, I vote for Morena and crafters

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Darkness Gatherers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I love this game, it’s weird and wonderful.

Dorf me, please. Horos and gatherers for the clan.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

The current tally is:

Voting Tally posted:

God Choice:

Veles 2
Svarog 0
Zorya 1
Horos 5
Mokosh 2
Morena 1

Civ Type:

Warriors 2
Gatherer 6
Crafter 3
---

So Horos worshipping Gatherers is what we're looking at right now with a significant lead. I'll leave the voting open until tomorrow morning just to be sure, though.

In the meantime, all of our spots for villagers have been filled, and Fat Samurai is at the top of the naming queue.

I also forgot to open up a vote for something else, but it can wait until after the first real update as I can change it at any time.

Black Robe posted:

Never heard of this game. Sounds interesting.

I had no idea it existed until a few months ago when a friend and I were looking to find a new strategy game to play together. This series really seems to fly under the radar as searching it's name doesn't turn up much with a general search and only a single mention on this site.

It's a shame really, because this game has one of those unique formulas that by all means shouldn't work, but somehow they defied expectation and got it to work quite nicely.

Fat Samurai posted:

I love this game, it’s weird and wonderful.

Agreed :hai:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DARKNESS

CRAFTY DARKNESS

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We are Crafters who make good use of Mokosh's bounty!

I liked this game, but drat does the sequel blow it out of the water.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Obviously, we worship the Nightman* and prepare for war with the Dayman.

* Horos

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Morena, crafters.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I keep meaning to pick this series up because it got talked up in the Steam thread every so often, and I keep not getting around to it. Let's see if this LP can give me that final push.

Let's fight darkness with darkness, Warriors of Horos.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Veles

We always need more knowledge.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

:sun:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I cast my vote for Svarog and Gatherers. Let the sun blast a new path into the black (and also into anyone trying to post any kind of Solaire memes)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Far too late, I'm sure. But Warriors for Veles. Cause fighting for a god of necromancy never goes wrong, right?

One thing about the game that I super like is the art. It's super detailed for what amounts to sketches on cards.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mokosh, Crafters and I volunteer myself as a hapless villager.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I played this game quite a bit a few years ago, it'll be fun to see a goon playthrough.

Craftsmen, always take craftsmen, they can half-rear end the roles of the other two, but let you do things the other two can't
Veles, I haven't played him much

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 269: Unhooked from the Brothers

Hard to believe we've been at it this long, eh? Well, the votes are in and we've got a new subject next.

Anyways, we paizanos start hooked on the brothers as usual.

We've seen the intro before, no need to show it now.

We do however have a new intro to watch!

It has a great remix of the classic Legend of Zelda theme that I unfortunately have no way to rip.

Since that's not easy to rip, here's a fine subsitute.

You might also find this to be a suitable subsitute.

Zelda: This is the Triforce of Wisdom, Link.

Zelda: The evil wizard Ganon has the Triforce of power.

Ganon: Muhhuhuaha....huhuhuhueeeeaaaahaahahahahahahaha!

Zelda: Whoever gets both Triforces will rule this land forever!

Zelda: You must help me, Link!

Link: Hey, for you, Princess, I'll do anything!

*Swishy noise*

Link: Hah!

*Moblin spins himself out*

*In faithful form, these make the actual sound effects from the classic game on the NES*

Zelda: Nice job, hero!

Link: Hey! Excuuuuse me, Princess!

And that's the intro. Isn't it great?

Make sure to review it for every update for the rest of me covering this show.

Next week, we get to the actual show, even though the intro is just the best.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Votes are actually closed, by the way. We're going Horos and Crafters, which won by one point at the last moment. Edit: I also forgot that Normal difficulty starts you out with 10 villagers, not 7, so that means everyone's present in the first update!

Oh, I uh, forgot where the edit button was, but there's another song you'll want to listen to in order to have full understanding of the next episode.

Find it here.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 1, 2020

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was a nostalgia trip and a half and it was glorious :allears:

I loved that stupid show.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Huh, I actually own this game but never got anywhere with it. If the villager queue gets a space sign me up as some kind of sorcerer.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Shei-kun posted:

That was a nostalgia trip and a half and it was glorious :allears:

I loved that stupid show.

Hey, it was either that or Polly Pocket's Adventure as my April Fool's joke. Hell, I did that in under an hour because I forgot today was even April Fools.

I know a lot of people hate the show, but I love it for its flaws. It's dumb, corny, and has inconsistent writing but it all just makes it an endearing level of bad. It still has some drat good action scenes despite being 1 episode a week and being made at the same time as the Super Show.

Also that bomb jump / shield surf gif is just the best. The show just got so ridiculous sometimes.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Huh, I actually own this game but never got anywhere with it. If the villager queue gets a space sign me up as some kind of sorcerer.

Can do. We presently have one spot open as result of my miscalculations, but they're not a magic-user. We will probably get one at some point later on though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah most of the bad events can be circumvented by a good magic/folklore user. Good to have one.

Also gently caress you.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Drakenel posted:

Yeah most of the bad events can be circumvented by a good magic/folklore user. Good to have one.

Also gently caress you.

Magic gets pretty busted, especially when you've got gear that layers it on to stupid levels. Enchanted Bone and Moonstone just make it too easy.

Also I'm lame, I know.

---

Next update should be out sometime tomorrow or the day after. I don't have too much more to do, but I'm unsure if it's on the side of information overload. We'll just have to see.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 2: It Begins (Turn 1 - Turn 4)

Apologies for the impromptu April Fools update, here's the real update.

Votes from the beyond have decided that we shall be a crafting culture in worship to the former God of Darkness, Horos.

: After all, what better choice is there for this shadowy world than the one who knows the dark like the back of his hand?

Now, I'll have a decent bit to explain regarding as to what's going on, but the big thing about Horos's first ability is that it improves survivability at night, though in order to take advantage of it we'll need to be walking around blindly.

Oh, hey, Theodore. Apologies, but I think I've got it handled from here.

I'll try to keep it brief, though informational where I can. I might not succeed at doing that, though.

He normally gives you a tutorial at the beginning of every game, but thank goodness it's skippable. Regardless, he still gives you two tutorial quests that sometimes hand out some ridiculously good rewards.

In this case, he's handed us a bunch of Experience, (the book), and a decent bit of Science (the blue bottle).

-------------
Turn 1
-------------

Leave me be, Theodore!

Ah, there we are. You can see our expedition group standing next to the town, named by default Ostoya. On the side bar you can also see how much closer we are to a level up in experience or in science.

I've got a lot to introduce, so let's start with our goon villagers.

By picking Crafters as our village focus, we start with this setup of unit/class types:

2 Gatherers, 2 Warriors, 1 Ranger, 5 Crafters.

This means we're only guaranteed to have two good physical combat units, but we'll do exceptionally at social challenges. As to what that means, I suppose it'll need to wait until we reach actual combat.

First up is Black Robe, one of our crafters. Crafters are all about having a high natural crafting skill and some good social and mental skills to boot, though often lacking in physical ability (but not always, as we'll see soon).

With only 4 Strength but 10 Social and 4 Attractiveness, she'll be very good if we ever come across any difficult social challenges.

Note: Even though they're technically called attributes, I'll probably keep calling them skills anyways.

Next is AnAnonymousIdiot, one of our gatherers. Gatherers usually trade some of that natural Intellect and Speech skill that Crafters have for a little bit more strength and their Gathering skill. In the end, it only works out for them sometimes, but gathering is important enough to make it not matter whether they're combat capable or not.

Anonymous here doesn't really have an exceptional amount of stats, but 6 Gathering is very good to have start out.

Rocket Baby Dolls is our other Crafter left in town. He's actually got natural Distration and Leech skill as well as being as strong as our Warriors with 8 Strength. Strength not only determines your base damage in combat, but also how heavy of equipment you can wear. I'm probably throwing him on the expedition team as result.

Our last member back in town is Arzaac. She's got 7 Gathering and some high natural HP. Nothing else is particularly stand-out, but she'll be able to hold her own in combat if the town ever gets attacked by something minor.

Now, our other 6 villagers on the Expedition team are these. First up, we have Old Grey Guy as our only Hunter/Ranger. Ranger is a special subclass of Warrior that spends less time being swole and decides to have more utility skills, usually Traps, Animal Kinship, Perception, and Herbalism. They also get a good bit of gathering as well, so I really can't complain.

Aside from the very low Herbalism (which isn't too important) and Will, Old Grey Guy is by far one of the better starting Rangers I've seen.

...Far, far better than that one with 4 HP and 3 Strength.

Next up is Fat Samurai, the first of our Warriors. The natural traits of warriors usually makes them decently strong and bestows a bit of Tactics skill and HP at the exchange of having pitiful capabilities in the mind muscles. Oh, and they can wield two-handed swords in one hand, which is rad.

Fat Samurai is a pretty typical Warrior by all means, but has a natural skill point in Find Weakness.

Next, we've got Shei-kun. She's got a lot of stats in really minor values, which isn't helpful, but hopefully those'll grow with some experience. She also is one of our only two characters with the Medic skill, which is kind of a god-send considering we don't actually have a medic.

Only Warrior starts get those, you see. Hopefully we won't have to make use of it, but knowing this game, we probably will.

Pharnakes is another Crafter, whose notable traits are her high Stealth and Will for a crafter, as well as another natural point of the Medic skill. She also has an amber necklace which is currently poor quality, but gives 1 Armor, 1 Gathering, and also the Concentration special skill. That'll be important for any intellect or social challenges we come across.

Samovar is another go-to Crafter, though his Speech, Will, and Stealth are quite high.

And last but not least, is Toslava, who has not been bestowed a goon title. She's got some decent Attractiveness, some high Folklore and a good Intellect for this point in the game though she is somewhat higher level than some of the others.

With the introductions out of the way, I move the expedition back to the town and do a little re-organizing on my part.

Toslava gets swapped with Rocket Baby Dolls for now, and some equipment gets shuffled. I take a better spear from town, swap it with one of the expedition's iron pikes, and I give Fat Samurai the unused heavy armor. Shei-kun also trades an two handed axe with one of our crafters for their two-handed sword to make use of their natural ability. We're unfortunate enough to have no hammers, but I'll take the large number of spears.

I'll cover the basics of what makes each weapon different in the next update, but for now just know I did some swapping. I also swapped the expedition's dark wood supply with a small amount of normal wood. Dark wood's kinda useful for crafting in the early game, and I'm making the elective decison to keep it for now.

Here's the gathering screen, which shows what resources our town can gather from its surroundings.

Gathering rate is 10x the gathering skill for the main person working on gathering and half that for anyone assisting. If you have no gathering skill, it is 5 as the leader and 2 points while assisting. On lower difficulties, any extra work will carry over to the next turn, so a person doing 70 points of work for a 60 point job will layover an extra 10 points every turn.

It's not easy to explain. In short, really good gatherers or crafters can produce multiple in a turn if they're skilled enough.

Wood resources are consumed one per turn for every turn to keep the lights active. When it goes out, the town gathers and crafts at half speed, as well as significantly slowing HP recovery. This same rule applies to a expedition if they're camping. For the most part, this isn't hard to maintain with just normal wood or straw and can easily become negligble by the midgame.

I set Arzaac to work on this as she'll double produce every 5 turns.

Food is consumed each turn, one for every person. Without it, you starve. We can get 14 vegetables in a turn if I set Anonymous to it, so I do. We started with a decent amount of meat to begin with, but it won't last forever.

Having coal nearby is very nice as it's useful for crafting, though it's best if we get a good supply of base items first. This coal vein is very efficient at a rate of 16 pieces per gather, but its also 280 points to get. We're better off leaving it alone until we need it.

Next is the crafting menu.

I go ahead and queue up some jerky to be made in order to complete Theodore's request quickly. Its just 4 meat put together. The catalyst in all crafting recipes is basically fuel, and is lost in making the finished product. In our case, we're burning up a bit of wood to prepare our jerky.

Nothing else is presently worth making, so I set both Black Robe and Toslava to making jerky. Crafting works on the same mechanics as gathering aside from mixing materials and item quality, both of which I'll cover later when we can make something actually worthwhile.

For the moment, jerky takes 4 of our meat and turns it into 8 food items, essentially doubling what we had at the loss of 2 wood. It also counts as another variety of food, which is a mechanic I'll cover soon enough.

...There's a lot to cover overall. This game's a bit overwhelming at first, but not bad at all once you get the hang of it.

We can also build a Pasture. It'll generate at minimum 1 meat per turn, but can make more if it's made with better materials. It takes more wood and food to make than we've got right now, but it's an option. Pastures are kind of useless by the end of the game, and they typically get demolished to make room for more useful things.

Some buildings do stack, however, and the pasture is one of those.

With all that silly management out of the way, let's do a bit of exploring.

...And we're out of move points already. You normally get 5 move points a turn, and hills and forests cost a bit more to move through than open ground. This is a bit of a pain, but it's not as bad as being surrounded by a snowy circle of mountains.

-------------
Turn 2
-------------

Some jerky got finished, and our gatherers are doing their jobs. We also started with a science point that we haven't invested in anything yet. I'll get to that later.

Back in town, here's the first time I bothered to screenshot this menu- Supply Management.

It lets you limit what resources your people will eat or burn for fuel. In our case, I'm only letting our people eat our prepared jerky and burn our normal wood.

The reason I have our people eating only jerky is that bit on the side, the Food Bonuses. For having a variety of food in this game, your people gain increasingly stronger passive benefits. Each prepared food type counts as a variety, and making prepared food often doubles your stock, so it helps to ration out raw materials early to make lots of prepared food with it.

These restrictions are only for the town, by the way. All expedition teams have their own, which is great because they usually end up eating a lot of stuff they find along the way.

Back in the game, I move upwards some and open up the resource viewing mode. Any icon in color is something we can gather while any greyed out icon means we need to research the material first. Things we can't gather wont be visible on the map without this mode enabled.

The only thing I'm seeing presently that we can't gather yet is Spidersilk, which is a very good thread material. It's light and high quality, making it very good for accessories and light armor.

Next to us are herbs and mushrooms. Mushrooms aren't very notable, but herbs have a minor use in some events throughout the game, and besides, food variety. It'll be beneficial to carry a few, but despite being usable in recipes, they aren't edible raw.

For now, I'll go ahead and set our expedition to camp. Doing so counts as one move point, but sets us up a pseudo-town that can gather resources and regain health faster. As noted before, this does consume wood per turn, however.

I set our team to gather a little bit more wood first and then start on picking up some mushrooms. Having a Gatherer/Ranger or two with you on expeditions lets you survive on the road longer without having to return to camp. It'll also be the only way to gather rare materials that you have nowhere near home.

--------------
Turn 3
--------------

Immediately, we are bombarded with this message. We completed Theodore's lunch task and he's come to congratulate us. And yes, he does indeed take the food you make. Now he wants us to make a building. That can wait for a bit, though.

...But he's nice enough to give out some rewards for it. This is a really "meh" set of rewards, as I've had him give me end-game level stuff before. It's also a really

: You didn't let me do my tutorial, you see. I'm not in as a generous mood.

Yeah, yeah. Apologies, but I've got this.

...I think.

Anyway, back in town, I set our crafters to making some bigos now that we've got vegetables to make it with. Vegetables and vegtables can't be mixed together for a meal, unlike meat. Cost-efficiency wise, we'll get more meals out this way, and quicker since it's slightly faster to make.

I'd also like to note that Black Robe and Toslava are killing it in the kitchen, making 16 meals a turn and still leaving a little prep room.

--------------
Turn 4
--------------

Ah, what's this?

Oh, it's just one of the extra events. This game came with an extra selection of events you can add in, but they're all really minor and in my experience, aren't as interesting as the normal ones.

I'll have you all vote on how we handle these in just a bit, but for now, I'll be nice and the game is nice back to us. We get 2 XP and 1 Science, plus a permanent +1 to HP for Shei-Kun.

--------------
Turn 5
--------------

Actually, we'll leave it here for now. Next update, I'll show off the combat and then it's just a really loose hold on the reins from there. I'd show off the science points and research menus, but I've already dumped enough mechanics on the thread for today.

I'll be less informative in the updates after the first and keep the conversation more in-character. I'm presently just trying to hand out some info so that for those voting in the thread can get an idea of what's going on and being voted for, but this game is rather obscure and not everyone's familiar with it.

Speaking of votes, we've got a few more to go for.

First, what should our town be named? (15 Characters Max.)

Secondly, how should we approach events from now on? Shall we:

1. Play it very safe. Avoid taking wounds if at all possible and only fight if it's guaranteed.
2. Take only risks we think we can handle. Wounds are fine, as long as none of us die.
3. Go all in, all the time. We're not backing down from a challenge, if it rears its ugly head.

Lastly, how do we act? Do we always:

A. Do what seems to be the right thing whenever possible.
B. Always try to make the most profit of every encounter.
C. Trust only ourselves, and conquer anyone who seems to be a foe.

(I have to ask this because I can't pause when events show up, and since RNG isn't guaranteed, I can't save/load either. I also need this computer for other memory intensive programs, so leaving it up in the background is something I can only do sometimes.)

If you have any specific requests for your character or a name change, always feel free to say so. If you have any questions about what you see or what's going on, don't hesitate to ask.

Next Time: Malicious Mandibles and the Drums of War

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 2, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh man, early Spidersilk is such a welcome sight. Next step, gathering baskets for everyone!

Anyways, I'd go with 2A. Sure, we'll probably lose a few goons here and there, but we can always grow new ones in the cabbage patch.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm not reading that until all the timg tags are replaced by img.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Goatmurdered
2A

That having been said, seriously, stop using timg.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Aw, I'll take that last unnamed if that's alright? Thought I asked.

And 2A. It really does feel like not being a douchecanoe is the most profitable, which is an interesting twist on most game's morality.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Arzaac posted:

Oh man, early Spidersilk is such a welcome sight. Next step, gathering baskets for everyone!

Anyways, I'd go with 2A. Sure, we'll probably lose a few goons here and there, but we can always grow new ones in the cabbage patch.

We've got coal nearby too, which is a recipe for success. Spidersilk is really great when you get it so close by.

Here's to hoping we've got valuable metal nearby too.

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not reading that until all the timg tags are replaced by img.

my dad posted:

Goatmurdered
2A

That having been said, seriously, stop using timg.

Yeah, until a discussion with my friend brought me away from this for a few hours I was going to ask about that.

Apologies! It did not turn out looking nearly as passable as I theorized it would. I'll have it fixed in a bit, its only a quick replace job in Notepad++.

Drakenel posted:

Aw, I'll take that last unnamed if that's alright? Thought I asked.

And 2A. It really does feel like not being a douchecanoe is the most profitable, which is an interesting twist on most game's morality.

You might have asked, but the DF thread has taught me I occasionally miss them. Since EvilKing specifically wanted to be a magic user, I'll go ahead and put you in.

And I'll I agree to that feeling. My most successful file on this game by far was basically a refugee orphanage.

Edit: Huzzah, yon foule timg tagges have been verily replaced!

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 2, 2020

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My absolute favorite start was with gold in my cap circle (in addition to the regular starting stuff). Changes the early and midgame a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Really any form of extra x in your start city is such a boon. Doesn't matter if it's metal, stone, food, it's just another resource you have infinite access to without having to spend much extra effort.