Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

This is pretty simple really, we're just going to design a dragon by committee. I'll post a choice roughly once a day, and y'all vote on it CYOA-style.

First up, what sort of tone is our setting?

A) Derivative Fantasy - Elves and dwarves and wizards and paladins. You know what you're asking for.
B) Pulp Fantasy - The stories may be derivative but the setting has a lot of room for imagination.
C) Fairy Tale - Stuff just sort of happens without much continuity. A lot of details sound impressive while being completely meaningless.
D) Magical Realism - A world just like our own... with one terrifying difference except for where specified otherwise. Toho films fall into this category.
E) Cartoon (Toyetic) - It's an excuse to mash action figures together. Think He-Man, Transformers, or Dinoriders.
F) Cartoon (Slapstick) - It's an excuse for ultraviolence without anyone getting hurt. Think Looney Tunes.
G) Other (write-in) - Every update is gonna have an Other (write-in) option. If Other wins a plurality, one of the write-in options will be chosen at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
E, because I haven't mentally aged past 11 and I still think dragons are cool.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
D.) LEt's get shadowrun with it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
E - Our Dragon has Kung Fu Action Grip!

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
D. Internet Dragons!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
D

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Gimme Pulp

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Drargon

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Damn it Squid! I'm a dragon, not a doctor!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Looks like we're going with Magical Realism, so the setting is straight-up Earth. But when and where will we awaken?

When:
A) Early Industrial - Sometime in the 18th or 19th centuries. The Age of Sail is yielding to the Industrial Age, civil society is getting its act together in Europe, and transnational institutions (mostly businesses) are coming into being. Human institutions are organized enough to become really efficient, but a dragon could still take on an entire nation without breaking a sweat.
B) High Industrial - From the second half of the 19th century up to The Great War. Mechanization is everywhere, powered by steam and maybe electricity. Railroads connect most cities and the world is getting used to the "nation-state" concept.
C) The World Wars (and the Interwar Period) - The wars are dangerous times even for a dragon, especially the second. The Roaring 20s, on the other hand, are a good time to hoard wealth and show it off.
D) The Cold War - The world is haunted by two spectres: the memory of WWII, and the rivalry between the USA and USSR. Nuclear threats loom especially large in the public imagination. On the bright side, telecommunications explode and mature, and it's the dawn of the space age. Godzilla and James Bond are both extremely Cold War franchises.
E) The End of History - It's the 1990s, the Cold War ended peacefully, and everything is gonna be great for humanity forever!
F) The Internet Age - Well, that didn't last long. 2001-present, and the near future.
G) Other (write-in) - Pre-industrial and far future aren't really in Magical Realism's wheelhouse, but feel free to get more specific.

Where, narratively:
1) Urban - We live in the city and deal with people every day. Good for a business mogul or a politician.
2) Suburban - We interact with the city, but stay hidden most of the time. Good for a gangster or warlord.
3) Rural - We steer clear of the city, preferring to interact with small communities. Good for a friendly neighborhood dragon or a less ambitious warlord.
4) Wilderness - We avoid people as much as possible, though they keep making that hard. Good for a hermit.
5) Other (write-in)

We need a geographic location, too! Nominate a city, state, or country to be our home. Anywhere in the world is fine.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
D1 - Eighties business dragon with serious shoulder pads

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 26, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
B4, rural England.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C2

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
C1 loving depressiom era dragon hell yes

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A2

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Benagain posted:

C1 loving depressiom era dragon hell yes

Yeah C1 seems cool

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
D5

Brought forth like a tulpa from the planet's fear of nuclear holocaust, we were birthed in an Anarctic Research Base

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C1 The Great Depression awakens something unseen since the middle ages.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
F1

We're a turbo nerd dragon that breathes hot pixels.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AJ_Impy posted:

C1 The Great Depression awakens something unseen since the middle ages.

Clearly we're a dragon whose horde consisted of stocks on the stock market, and the crash wiped out our whole horde.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Urban and World Wars have it, and the interwar period specifically. Next up is what sort of treasure we hoard, but that's going to have to wait for the morning because there's a lot of weird stuff going on during the Great Depression. :beerpal:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

It’s the Great Depression and we’re holding onto what we can, or maybe a bit before and … honestly, a lot of these are pretty stable assets so we’re not going to lose everything. Probably.

Anyway, what treasure do we value and hoard?

A) Lucre - The classic pile of gold and gems, or maybe cash.
B) Financial instruments - Stocks and bonds and the like. This one’s going to take the hardest hit.
C) Booze - A Prohibition kingpin?
D) Real estate - The market’s busted, but we can still lord it over people. Worst case, we can pose dramatically on top of our properties.
E) Hirelings - We’ve liquidated our hoard of valuables to hire an army of desperate laborers. We should put them to work on some project.
F) Loyal minions - We have a personal connection with our minions, and they’ll stick with us through thick and thin. Also they know what a dragon will do to rats.
G) Terror - Ha ha ha! Look at them scatter like ants!
H) Admiration - Nothing better than opening a paper and reading headlines about how great we are.
I) Gratitude - Making the world a better place, yielding a combination of H and J (but mostly virtue is its own reward).
J) Other (write-in) - A combination of two of these? An Iguanamouth Unusual Hoard?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
F, good help is everything.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Abyssal Squid posted:

C) Booze - A Prohibition kingpin?

Yes!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

J - WEAPONS.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
J- a zoo of paranormal animals like unicorns. Partly to keep the old animals going, partly to sell off unicorn blood, wyvern acid etc to industrialists for Mad Cash

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
C cuz booze dragon

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Slaan posted:

J- a zoo of paranormal animals like unicorns. Partly to keep the old animals going, partly to sell off unicorn blood, wyvern acid etc to industrialists for Mad Cash

Cryptid hoard! Cryptid horde!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

For what it's worth, C, F, and

Dog Kisser posted:

J - WEAPONS.

all go together like bread and butter, so we might not even have to choose one or the other.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
F

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
F

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
F

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

C. Let's be a Dragon Don.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

At this point it's pretty clear we run a bootlegging empire that also traffics in magical creatures and pieces of them, but keep voting and we'll figure out which aspect we value above all.

Votes for minions mean that that more than anything, we want underlings to rule over. Dealing contraband is just the means by which we recruit and retain them, for now.
Votes for booze or rare beasts mean that more than anything, we just want a collection to admire/savor. We're only filling out that collection with violent crime because some laws recently made the collections themselves illegal. Nerts to that!
Votes for weapons mean that more than anything, we just love killing people. Our private army of gangsters is our means to that end, and dealing contraband is how we support that.
Votes for [b]other options[b] are probably over-complicating things now, but if you make a good case we might be able to fit it into our business.

We're also learning more about our setting: going with the Prohibition/bootlegging angle means we're definitely in the United States, and with the magical creature smuggling we're probably based in a port city. Preferably away from the Feds and the East Coast, maybe New Orleans or Oakland.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Booze or Rare Beasts in Oakland

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

WEAPONS

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Rare Beasts getting trafficked over the lakes in Chicago like a true gangster

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Minions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane