Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Every year and a half or so on the blood moon doors are shut, curtains are drawn and people hide in their homes. As the red light from the lunar eclipse reaches their doorsteps people do everything they can to keep themselves safe. For every Blood Moon some of those who are caught out in the light… turn.

The new being is called a Cobbold. Many are shunned from all but the most forgiving communities. Some Cobbolds remember where they come from, others do not. Many make the pilgrimage to warrens, tiny holes in the ground where they live with other Cobbolds, safe from those that would do them harm.

It has been close to a year since the last Blood Moon, and you have been living with a kind old witch named Magdalene. She has been bringing you food, clothing, and supplies. Under her watch you have not wanted for much. It hasn’t been an easy life, but for a while it was comfortable. Then all of that changed

Our story begins here in a tiny hole in the ground, your home. The den mother, Magdalene has rushed into your room and raised you from your slumber. “Rise, rise lovelies” she said in a gentle tone that sent shivers down your spine. “My home, which I so graciously allow you to stay in is under attack.” She rubbed her huge bulbous chin, “It’s time for you to pay your debt to me…”

“I would never ask you for this,” she said grinning ear to nonexistent ear, “But it seems violence is upon us, Quick, to your positions, we have naught but our teeth and claws, and the enemy is at our gates.”

The warren as it is right now, is at 2 rooms: a place to sleep, a place to cook and store food, and the front gate (though really it’s just a large piece of driftwood). You will need to defend yourselves to get through the night. So hold the line or your home will be lost.

This is a horde style game, much in the same vein as Dog Kisser’s amazing story “Break Down That Gate.” First and foremost, I want to thank him for creating such a wonderful story that inspired me to do much the same, but different. I don’t think I can match DK’s blend of seriousness and humor, but if you make this story with me, we’ll create something great together.

If you’ve played one of my games before, or voted in one of my CYOAs, you start with a free re-roll to be used whenever you like, but only one.

The Warren

In this game you’ll be one of many Cobbolds, cursed creatures that burst forth from the backs of meta humanity. You’re a member of a particularly small warren, almost 40 strong, some would say this warren is the smallest on this side of the continent. While I’d love to get 40 players, I don’t think it’s going to happen. Everyone who joins either picks an already made portrait, or makes their own with this tool Cobbold Creator. If you die, you’ll just have to pick / create again until either all 40 are gone, or the game is over.

Your community Needs a name. This’ll be the first group vote, group votes will always be predicated with “Group Vote” so you know what is and isn’t a group vote. This will be like the traditional votes that you’re used to.

Character Creation
Name
Anything you want, if it’s too long it might make the text on your portrait card hard to read, so keep that in mind.

Face / Gender
Use the following tool to make a Cobbold! Cobbold Creator

HP
You get 5, healing will be explained later, but it’s going to be difficult, this game is going to be a meat grinder, expect to make new characters occasionally.

Memories
This is something from your past that you remember it could be a job, like baker, or smith. It could be a particular skill, like whistling or fighting. As long as it’s important to your character it will be useful, even if it’s weird. Gives you +10 to a single non-consecutive roll.

Satiation
You are a cobbold, you feed yourself on the flesh of your enemies and the worthiness of your deeds. Whether through magic or metabolism, this creates tiny rocks that fill your stomach, and can be spent like currency with other Cobbolds. Some say the Satiation of a Cobbold holds ancient magics. You gain 1 Satiation per turn for posting. You can gain an additional 1 bile for posting a fan art or roleplaying in some way. You can not get more than 1 Satiation per turn.

Who were you?
Whoever you were before you hatched is largely unimportant. Through satiation you may be able to pull more memories from your past, what was important to you is yours to keep. Feel free to explore it more as the game goes on. I believe in drawing maps but leaving blanks for the players to fill in.

Ok but how do I actually play?
Your group can split themselves up to attack as many objectives as needed. You’ll know about how many you need to throw at a problem by looking at the difficulty. The number represents how many d100s will be rolled against you, the higher number wins. Everyone working on the same objective will add their scores together. Some missions can’t be helped by throwing infinite people at it, these will be noted by [ having brackets around them ] Finally, there’s a Danger Number that represents how many of the lowest rollers will get hurt.

Using our current situation as an example the conflict looks thusly:

Hold the Line 40d100 Danger 5

Your 40d100 vs theirs, and the lowest 5 Player Character rollers will take damage

Your home is currently under attack, there’s a number of ways that you can defend yourselves. Cobbolds are known for their ingenious traps, you can hold the gate to stop as many from them getting in, or rush them with your claws and teeth, or whatever you may think of! Roll 1d100 + any relevant memories you may have (adding +10) The 5 lowest rollers will take 1 damage.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
These are all of the rules for the game, you do not need to know all of these rules to play, it's merely a document that records everything so I can make sure to stay consistent in my rulings.

================================================================
What do I need to know to play?

You have a name, a memory, 5 HP, You have a portrait, either picked from a list or made through the Design a Mook

Certain Rounds are Votes you post to vote like a CYOA

Certain Rounds are Downtime You pick from the list of downtime actions and do it, roll a d100 in Orokos (Or don't, and I'll roll for you,) then you will get results with the next update. You can use your memory on these for a +10 bonus

Certain Rounds are Stratagems You pick from the list of Stratagems, roll a d100 in Orokos (Or don't, and I'll roll for you,) then you will get results with the next update. These could harm you or even kill you! Pay attention to the tags. You can use your memories on these for a +10 bonus

You can also get a Bonus to your Downtime, and Stratagem rolls by posting, this is called Satiation. 1 post = 1 satiation.

You can get a resource like money that you can use called Bile, by RPing or posting cool fan art. 1 fan-art / RP = 1 Bile.

Portraits

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 31, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The Fridge, all fanart goes on the fridge.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Lux Animus posted:

KittyEmpress posted:

AJ_Impy posted:

Junpei posted:

Barbed Tongues posted:

Slaan posted:

Cloud Potato posted:

Abyssal Squid posted:

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Weregoat posted:

Arcanuse posted:

Dog Kisser posted:

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 29, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hyde, A6, Boy.

HP: 5/5.
Memory: Organization (Hyde was a knight captain reknowned for his knowledge of military structure, tactics, and architecture, helping build bases and expand areas where needed. He's lost some of that, but he still knows how to bark orders and how to get the most out of people.)

"Let's move, move, move! We need a defensive parameter, STAT! Form a line, lock shoulder to shoulder! Let's go, people!"

Organize the troops!: 1d100+10 86

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Name: Sproggle
Face: D3 (Boy)
Memory: Painting
HP: 5/5

Sproggle's spindly limbs flailed as he jolted awake in his corner of the lair. Attackers! Enemies! Foes! They were coming to destroy the warrenhome! Yesyes, Destroy, smash, raze! They had to be stopped! But Sproggle was no fighter, he knew that. He was small and slight even for cobbolds, and while he was not afraid of blood (such a lovely red, carmine, crimson, a wonderful pigment, yesyes), his own blood was not nearly so pretty. No, this was a situation for cleverness, for thinking, for tricks. He skittered out the door and over to his most favorite mud-spot, where the rich sweet earth was black and pungent. Scooping up handfuls of the stuff, he began to smear it over the stone walls of the nearby cliff face, creating a large, dark circle.

After stepping back and appraising his work, he helpfully labelled it "COBBOLD HOEL (REALLY) ->"

A foolproof plan.

Paint a Fake Entrance!: 1d100+10 49

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 30, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

[Cobbold #39 posted:

]

Face: A2
Name------: "My name? [Unintelligible], but since that's hard to say call me [Cobbold #39]."
Body: Male, optionally a squat gremlin variant

HP--------= 5/5
Satiation-= 0
Memories--:
-Furious Trance
--"...Focus. Aim. Strike. Repeat. Again. Again. You are angry at me, yes? Good. Take your anger, aim, strike."
-- *crack*
--"There. Progress. The world is full of horrors, and there are far worse things you will face out there than my training. Now keep your anger heated and practice on the air while someone finds you a replacement dummy."

"...Ugh."

With a sluggish roll, #39 rolls off their mid-air cot, landing face first with an unpleasant thud.

Distinctly awake now, they get up, find the nearest club-shaped object and conk themselves on the head a few times to get amped up.

"Grrrr *thud* rrrrrr *thud* RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAA *thud*"

That settled, #39 charges towards the line, ready to go in swinging hard and fast!

Hold the line with a [Furious Trance]!: 1d100+10 80

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 30, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Name: Amelie
Face: B2
Memory: Yellow Journalism (using)
HP 5/5
Satiation: 0 > 1

Stop the presses! Cobbold hole under attack! War comes to the land!

Cobbolds hold the line!: 1d100+10 56

Slaan fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 30, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Name: Faust
Face: D1
HP 5/5

The enemy was coming. The enemy. Who was the enemy?

Faust squinted at his hands, the fine web of ritual scarring upon his palms, and then at the enemy again.

They had been here, before, had they not?

Memory: Occultism

Destiny is scarlet. Do not forget this. Do not-

It was time to spill blood.

Hold the line: 1d100+10 63

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Name: Syd
Face: B5
Body Type: Male
Memory: Metalworking (Using)

Syd rubbed his beady eyes and groggily got out of bed. Enemies? Well, he'd already made some bear traps earlier just in case they were attacked, so doesn't that count as helping out with defending the Warren? So it'll be fine if he just stands at the back and occasionally yells out some encouragement to the others, right?

Trust that the make-shift bear traps will do their job: 1d100+10 41

Astus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 30, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Name: Vek
Sex: Male
Health: 5/5 HP
Memory: Trapping (using)
Satiation: 0 -> 1+1 -> 2

Vek was a hunter, a trapper, and a furrier back in the before-times; back before he ever became a Cobbold.

He'd been out too late on a hunting foray under the full moon and he'd been caught out in the open when the red eclipse filled the sky. He'd transformed, then. With a beaked mouth, cat's eyes, curly horns and spiny scales, Vek was hardly human any more.

There were months of blood and carnage and running on desperation that followed, until primal instinct alone brought Vek to Magdalene and the other homeless Cobbolds. Together they had started building a new den together, underground.

On the night of the presumed attack, the warren was abuzz with preparatory Cobbold activity. Vek snuck outside the perimeter and checked that all their traps were in good working order. The traps were his duty, after all.

> Trapping to check on the horde's traps: 1d100+10 75
> Warren Name Vote: Home + Hole = "Hol'm"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 30, 2020

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Name: Sadie
Face: A7
Body Type: Female
Memory: Recklessness (Using)
Satiation: 0 > 2

Even before I became a monster, I wasn't exactly happy. I don't know what it was, but I attracted bad luck like flowers do bees. Eventually after enough things go wrong, I just stopped worrying about stopping it. So I just kind of embraced life in my own way, I got real numb to risks, and did a lot of stupid things. I'm not saying I jumped into any meat grinders, but I did get into a fair share of scraps a smart person wouldn't.

Becoming a Cobbold wasn't too bad for me, unlike some people. I mean, I had to run away from a horrible place that hated me, but what's different about that? Honestly, Magdalene and the rest of the Warren are the closest thing I had to family in a long time. I mean, I'm in constant pain from having my spines hit my ears and what not, but it's still probably a better life than before? Maybe? Yeah. I wasn't fooling myself either.

Still, it's the best thing I've got. So when Magdalene calls on me, I just ball my fists as best I can, to put my spikes out as I stand behind the gate, and wait for the first attackers to come to me. Tears run down as I stab myself in doing that.

Throwing myself into the line: 1d100+10 82

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Name: Carrick
Face: 1B
Memory: Audacity (using)
Satiation: 0 > 2

The spider-eyed, tricorned felinoid cobbold was perhaps the least likely leader the incursion of interlopers could have incorporated, but the simple expedient of shouting confusing instructions loudly enough and pointing can carry a lot of weight. Not quite enough weight, alas, but such was a cost of doing business.

Audaciously assume command of the invaders to lead them to their doom: 1d100+10 40

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 1, 2020

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Name: Needles
Face: A8
Memory: First Aid (unused)

With a slow blink, needles noted there were no injuries yet. Better go make some!

Protect and Serve - Hold the Line!: 1d100 65

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 1, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Basher

Memory: Breaking Things (In Use)
Satiation: 0 -> 1

I was clumsy. Accident prone. Too big, too strong, not careful enough. Everything around me eventually broke. Then one red night, the shutters broke.

Then I broke.

Now things break because I hit them with my head!

Charge! 1d100+10 = 43

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 1, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Name: Cobb
Face: C5
Memory: Cobbling

Being a conny-sewer of all things feet-wise, Cobb knows the import of a solid boot through the door when gaining entry someplace. And so, it stands to reason, a solid boot on the other side of the door will put an end to this palaver and Magdalene will calm down some. Cobb grabbed his boots and his hat and joined the front line.

Deploying anti-boot boot: 1d100+10 73

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 30, 2020

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Tine
Hp: 5/5 ; Satiation: 0>1 ; Memories: Leather-working

You know what this is? It's an AWL. It's for putting HOLES in things.

That means you, you little ******. I'm gonna **** you you up with this ****ING AWL.

AAAAAGGHH

Awl mastery: 1d100+10 68

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 1, 2020

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Name: Pudge
Face: E1
Memory: Martial Arts (using)
HP 5/5

Pudge rolled his head, feeling the joints in his neck pop. He let out a squeaky kiai and rushed into the brawl.

Time to stain my hands: 1d100+10 59

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 1, 2020

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Radican

Memory: Itching (in use)

Radican responded to the alarm by scratching her side absentmindedly. If there was one thing her life had taught her, it was that itching was really annoying! People will go out of their way to avoid getting an itch.

To that end, she started hauling out the her potted nettles and arranging them in a barrier.

Itchy nettle fence: 1d100+10 37 [whoops forgot to add Memory modifier]

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Saand

Memory: Hunting (in use)

Saand remembered little of their life before, but when the call went up, they fell silent and feel into bone-deep habits. Saand struck out of the Warren, hunting their prey in the dark places and waiting until the moment was right...

Hunting the Invaders: 1d100+10 98

Then they struck.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Yip

[Portrait under construction]

Memory: Hiding

Yip was small, careful thing. No good at traps. No good at eats. No fast. Just small, patient.

Hol'm was under attack. Other cobbols, they fight. Yip try to make so no fight happen.

Yip Hide Door: 1d100+10 = 83

Where was warren? Who know.

Ponken
Jun 22, 2007
Copy

Portrait: E3
Memory: Imitating (using)

Being very unoriginal Copy looked around after the cobbold that looked like it knew what it was doing the most and notice Carrick quite audaciosly giving commands so he quickly stood up near the other cobbold and started to imitate him.

Imitating Carrick: 1d100 75

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Babold
Memory: Charging
Portrait: C3

"SHYYAAAAARGE!" bellowed Babold, bravely breaking forth from beneath the warrens, bandana billowing behind their brazen body as they -

"OW poo poo FUCKDAMN AARGH," cried Babold, backing off bleeding.

Sallying forth: 1d100+10 20

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 2, 2020

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Don't forget to add yer +10 for using your Memory. :eng101:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The Cobbolds ~~Who still need a name for their group (No-one voted on a name, so vote for a name now!~~) could see the invading forces coming out through the trees, Magdalene slipped out and tried to hide amongst the shrubbery. The Cobbolds jumped into action, each with it’s own plan. The bulk of the forces stood outside of the main entrance, to stop themselves from being trapped with no way to escape. Torch light glinted off of sharp metal farming implements. The towns people were yelling orders to each other. They stopped in the woods, and a man’s voice pierced the night. “Alright Magdalene. We tire of your presence here, give yourself up, and we’ll only burn the Cobbolds.”

“Leave this place,” Magdalene yelled hidden in the darkness, “Only death waits for you here.”

Radican put up a fence in front of the door and placed her nettles around it, while Yip helped hiding the door. Cobb reinforced the door with a boot, and tried to hold the line.

Sproggle rushed out of the Cobbold entrance, and started to rub mud on the wall of the cave where the Cobbold’s had mined out their entrance, he smeared a new entrance. Some of the forces that came split off to follow Sproggle lessening the total forces that would be fighting at the main gate.

Carrick and Copy followed him and hid among the trees around the group. He tried to take command of the group and lead them into traps, some of the men fell, but the lead one quickly took control over his troop again. They stood on opposite sides of the group and screamed orders that led many of the men into traps, those that had followed Sproggle soon found themselves skewered “Silence” he roared into the woods, “Only follow the sound of my voice, no-one else.”

Vek checked the spike pits that had been dug around the main entrance, each carefully covered with brush, crossed sticks, and dirt. Seemingly hidden until touched on. As the forces rushed in they fell into the traps.Syd’s bear traps crippled many of the invading forces. They reacted quickly, pulled themselves into formation and started slowly approaching by tapping the ground roughly with scythes and pitchforks.

While they creeped forward Saand hunted. Like a panther stalking his prey he followed slowly behind, anyone who split too far from the group was grabbed, teeth gripped their throats there was no time to scream. A flash of crimson, and then death.

Babold, Pudge, Tine, Basher, Needles, Sadie, #39, Amelie, Faust and the rest of the horde clashed with the invaders. Babold nearly lost an arm as an old scythe was swung at him, but Sadie snapped through the farming implement with her claws. The Cobbolds were being pushed back, and it seemed the invaders were all around them. It was close though, for every inch they took, they would lose a man to a trap. The spike pits ran red with blood. Still they didn’t have much space to give, and they were being pushed into the cave, stinging nettles at their backs, and enemy forces to their front. Hyde yelled orders and got the troops to sidle around and flank, getting them out of a tough spot. They were still losing ground, Magdalene left the forest, and gave a loud croak. “You should not have come here Fools, now you will die. Your bones will be picked clean by my children. Your skin will clothe them, your mind will sustain them, and your younglings will never see their parents again. You have angered me. Suffer my wrath”

40d100 = (2104) + Magic Mist (100) 2204 vs Invaders in the night!: 40d100 2114

Her eyes filled with blood and it poured over her robes, it’s bright red color could even be seen from the smoke. A purple mist filled the battlefield, the Cobbolds could see through it, but the villagers could not. The tides quickly turned. Hyde was able to rip out the leader’s throat with his claws. He left the body to decay into the dirt and rushed the group, ordering everyone to charge. Tine quickly made work with his awl, ventilating their brains.

Magdalene fell over, and some of the horde ran over and tried to help her, carrying her back towards the cottage. Soon there was nothing but death left. The villagers retreated, and the Cobbolds were hot on their tails. Chasing them down in the forest. Others rushed Magdalene inside taking her to one of the unused bed. The mist floated heavily, and when it touched the bodies of the slain they quickly dissolved. It left nothing behind, only fairy circles and posies. The warren would not be feasting on flesh tonight.

Downtime
In between fights, and particularly after victories, the Warren will take downtime. During this period, Satiation can be exchanged, healing and repairs can be performed, and things can be purchased, (There is nothing to purchase right now, but there will be later.) Sometimes there are a list of actions that you can take to prepare. You can only do two actions / things during downtime. Any cool story or post during down time will gain +1 Satiation, you can feed the mind just as much as the body.

Healing
Cooking, Healing or Entertainment Memories can be used to restore HP. Healing is a Conflict between the healers and the wounded - their combined roll is rolled against d100 rolls representing the wounded. Success heals each wounded by 1 HP - and each 100 over heals an additional HP. Healing can only be performed in downtime while making camp. In situations in which SOME healing is possible, you’ll be provided a Closed Conflict - only enough time or resources to partially fix the wounded! The wounded never needs to roll themselves (I’ll do that).

Scouting
The scout action can be used during down time to provide for the warren. Soldiers with stealth, trapping, scouting, cooking, hunting, foraging or similar type memories will get a plus 10. Each person scouting rolls a 1d100 based on their roll; they either have success or failure. 00 - 75 you find something that hurts you. This can be an animal, a person, or even just falling out of a tree, whatever happened you failed your check. 76 - 80 you find food, everyone in the warren gains +1 Satiation due to your excellent hunting skills 81 - 90 You find something useful, this will generally be an item of some sort, or a cache of items though sometimes it can lead to special events, or even new strategies. 91 - 99 This will find you a high quality item, a lot of low quality items, or even possibly some magic (which is basically an item that costs satiation to use, but has huge effects.) This can also unlock Epic Strategies depending on when and where you are in the story when you find it 100+ This is considered a critical success, you will find something awesome. If you roll this message me on discord so we can chat about what you found. You have some say in this!

Downtime Options

These options are things you can split up the Warren to do, those options with the most votes will get the most of the faceless warren to help, if there is a tie, faceless Warrens will use the order of the listed Downtime Options to break the tie. These options only help, though there is still threat of damage or death, these options will make threats in the Strategy phase (to be explained later) easier.

• Chase down the remnants - Difficulty 5 Threat 2
    Magdalene once rested on the bed inside the warren croaked gently, “You need to get them before they reach the village, we’ll have more time to prepare if they do not know their army has failed.

• Set traps in the village - [Difficulty 5 Threat 5]
    “We could prepare for a battle by setting traps in the village and allowing them to trip them, weakening their defenses.”

• Assassinate the village elder [Difficulty 1] Deadly
    “Without an elder, the village would be considerably weaker, with no-one to lead them they would fall underneath our onslaught.”

• Set up more traps - Difficulty 10
    “Many of the traps were sprung and need to be reset, especially if we are to face a second siege once they realize the first has failed

• Rush the Village - Difficulty 40 Threat 15
    “We can get a head start and rush them in their homes, with the village gone, we would be able to expand our warren without worrying about another attack.”

When Expanding the warren, you get a permanent bonus based on the following: You get a +1 for a 0 - 20% contribution, a +5 for a 21 - 60% contribution, and a +10 for >=62% You will get a bonus based on your highest contribution whether that be a percentage of the satiation cost, or your action being used on it.

• Expand the Warren (Hospital) - Difficulty 20 Threat 1 Satiation 10
    “We need a place to tend to our sick and wounded, we should be careful though, digging is dangerous.”

• Expand the Warren (Ritual Room) - Difficulty 20 Threat 5 Satiation 10
    “I could use your satiation to do powerful magics, I all but used up the remaining I had stored, together we could better the warren.

• Expand the Warren (Workshop) - Difficulty 10 Threat 1 Satiation 5
    “We could build a workshop so that you may use your satiation to craft weapons and items of your choice.”

• What else do you want to do?
    “There may be other pressing matters on your mind, come up with strategies to take the village, or maybe you have an idea for a better way to expand the warren, the world is your oyster.”

:siren::siren::siren: There has been a change, you can only do two things during down time. You can only gain 2 Satiation this round:siren::siren::siren:

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 8, 2020

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Saand

Memory: Hunting (in use)
Satiation: 1 -> 2 -> 3

Downtime:
Saand wasn't terribly social, but they cared deeply about the others. Out they went to learn what they were facing...
...and found something they couldn't deal with alone.

Strategy:
Saand sank into the night, seeking out the village elder. Though it be near suicide, success would near-guarantee the survival of their allies and friends. A small price to pay, with a high reward. Saand crept into the village...
...and heard the dogs start barking. Curses.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 2, 2020

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Yip

Satiation: 1 -> 2

Hol'm was safe! But villagers knew Hol'm. What do? Dig! Always dig. Where? Dunno! Just dig!

Diggy Diggy Hole: 1d100+1 = 30

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Name: Needles
Face: A8
Memory: First Aid (using)
Satiation: 1 > 2 > 3

Downtime: Attempt to Heal
Healing Check (+1S, +10FA): 1d100+11 21

Strategy Vote: Expand the Warren (Hospital)
Needles makes the rounds, letting folks know healing was going to be tough without some physical support. It might take a while and be expensive, but a starting hospital will increase survival overall, and might allow the Matron to save her magic energy for offense, instead of new creations.

e: rules change note

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 2, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Name: Amelie
Memory: Yellow Journalism (CD)
HP 5/5
Satiation: 1 > 2 > 3 (downtime and strategy)

Amelie went straight to work hunting her next story. A real Journalist hit the street and pounded the pavement to find information. Amelie wasn't a real Journalist, more propagandist if she was being honest, but she could at least go through the motions!

Scouting for a story: 1d100 81

And she had the perfect idea for a story. An interview with the villagers themselves! She would ambush them and trap them in small alleys with questions like:

"Why are you such a warmonger?
Why do you think masks don't protect against cobbolism?
Do you follow the gold standard or are you some slave to the kingdom's fiat currency?
What hurts more, fang or claw?": 1d100 72

Slaan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 2, 2020

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Tine
Hp: 5/5 ; Satiation: 1>2>3>0 ; Memories: Leather-working (cooling)

Scouting: 1d100 8, if suitable

Tine secured the battlefield for useful Leather-working materials. Ah, one of the fallen.

The murder-hedgehog takes out a skinning knife and eyes their prize with an evil glint in their eye.

"No, we've not got a workshop to process this leather. It's pretty much useless as is. This is just for fun."

Maybe they should have paid more attention to their surroundings...

A human scout charged from the treeline.

"Agh! Begone meat thing!"

Seeing no cobbolds nearby, Tine flees.

---

Back below ground, Tine looked at their cuts and scrapes. Escaping those human scouts was easy, but they still got a good few hits in.

"This wouldn't have happened if we had some nice hume-skin armour, we need a workshop!

Expand the Warren (Workshop): 1d100 34+1=35

"If People help me on this, I'll contribute 4 3 satiation of the 5 needed, we'll be done in no time.

Hey Yip, you want to put that digging to use clearing a space over here?"

Tine offers up 4 3 satiation for the workshop

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 2, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hyde

Satiation: 1

Hyde stayed behind while others scouted, making sure things moved properly.

The carefree days of before where the group (Hyde had a cool name idea, Knights of the Blood Moon) had done what they wished were gone. They would need to focus and be strategic.

Hyde tried to get routes and stations and the like down, but people were too busy moving and panicking. Sigh.

Still, he couldn't be discouraged. After all, he did agree with one thing:

quote:

"This wouldn't have happened if we had some nice hume-skin armour, we need a workshop!

"If People help me on this, I'll contribute 4 satiation of the 5 needed, we'll be done in no time.

"Yes. I'm with Tine on this. We need weapons and armor if we're going to stand a chance. I'll help with that."

Hyde rolled up his sleeves and started drafting a plan for the workshop. How big it would be, where everything would go, where the supports would be, etc.

Let's make this workshop!: 1d100+1 30

I'm putting forward 1 Satiation for this.

Once he was done, it was time to get the place in order. No, not the workshop. The whole place!

It had been fine as a home, but now, it would need to be a fort. It would need to be organized and clean, everything with a place.

So Hyde got busy sweeping, straightening, cleaning, scrubbing, and labeling to make their home more efficient and easy to navigate. That started with a poster!

Cleaning, tidying, and straightening up: 1d100+1 72

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 3, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Name: Faust
Satiation: 1 > 3
Memories: Occultism (on cooldown)
HP 5/5

The Red Moon waxes.

The Red Moon wanes.

We are born of her syzygy. The middle children of a forbidden union.

Forgotten, forgotten. Forgotten we are.

We must remind her of her charge.

Downtime: Healing: 1d100+1 92 not because anybody is wounded, but because I want that Satiation
Strategy: Construct Ritual Room: 1d100+1 31

Theantero fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 3, 2020

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Name: Syd
Face: B5
Memory: Metalworking (on cooldown)
Satiation: 1>2>0 [Workshop cost]

Syd groans as he realize he needs to do the tedious work of reseting all of his traps, and replacing the ones that broke because some dumb villager stepped on it too hard. "Maybe some day I'll figure out how to make a trap that can move into position and arm itself on its own. Sounds like magic though, which is a bit too much effort for me..."

Well, maybe one of the villagers dropped something useful when they ran away? Oh, that thing over there looked nice...

Scouting while replacing traps: 1d100 97

Once Syd got back to the Warren, he heard his fellow crafter Tine ask for assistance.

WereGoat posted:

"If People help me on this, I'll contribute 3 satiation of the 5 needed, we'll be done in no time."

"It's about time we finally get some proper tools to work with around here! Anyone who still has some sense inside their heads had better help us out with this, unless you like being naked, unarmed, and living in a hole in the ground with a flimsy wooden door for protection." Syd side-eyed Babold and Basher.

Help build the Workshop: 1d100 50
Spending both of my Satiation points to finish covering the cost of the Workshop.

Astus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 3, 2020

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Babold
Memory: Charging
Satiation: 1 -> 2 (Downtime action)

"SHYYAAAAARGE!" bellowed Babold, running over the hills after the fleeing remnants of the village's militia.

Strategy: Chase Down Remnants: 1d100+1 43

"SHYYAAAAARGE!" bellowed Babold, running into camp after having run down a few forest animals on the way back.

Downtime: Scouting: 1d100+11 63

Babold was, generally, fond of yelling and running.

e: forgot the +1 from Satiation

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 3, 2020

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Yip

Satiation: 2->3

Downtime - Scouting
Someone yelled at yip to dig elsewhere, but Yip was easily frightened. Yip decided to go hide outside instead.

Yip Hide Outside: 1d100+1 84 (+10 if hiding is off cooldown??)

Hopefully no one would find Yip in the bokbokbox, over by the moolands. Sometimes, if lucky, there was 'Egg'. Maybe Yip lucky today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

[Cobbold #39 posted:

]

Face: A2

HP--------= 5/5
Satiation-= 1 > 3
Memories--:
-Furious Trance [Cooling Down?]
--"...Focus. Aim. Strike. Repeat. Again. Again. You are angry at me, yes? Good. Take your anger, aim, strike."
-- *crack*
--"There. Progress. The world is full of horrors, and there are far worse things you will face out there than my training. Now keep your anger heated and practice on the air while someone finds you a replacement dummy."

"Well, that was fun." says #39, flicking off a bit of angry peasant.

"...Huh? Names? How about Cobblin Horde? Sure we're cobbolds not cobblins, but you think some dirt farmers would know the difference?"

"Now let's get hunting!" :black101:

Strategy: Chase down the remnants! - Difficulty 5 Threat 2
Chase down the remnants! - Difficulty 5 Threat 2: 1d100+1 7

"oof eech ouch my bones"

Downtime: Scouting!
Scouting!: 1d100+1 77

Perhaps out of pity, perhaps out of luck, the forest permitted a freshly humbled #39 to find some much easier, and better tasting, prey.