Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
You thought it couldn't be done.

You thought it wouldn't be done.

You spineless worms all doubted our God-King Dana White's ability to reach down to the ocean floor and dredge up a brand new landmass fit for fisticuffs.

How very wrong you all were.

Fight Island is real. The infrastructure has been built. Many Bothans died getting us the plans, but that is simply the cost of doing business.

Now is the time for

UFC 251: USMAN VS MASVIDAL

Main Card - ESPN+ PPV, 10PM ET

Main Event: Welterweight Title - Kamaru "The Nigerian Nightmare" Usman vs Jorge "Gamebred" Masvidal

How they got here:

Kamaru Usman came to the UFC through The Ultimate Fighter season 21: American Top Team vs Blackzilians. He won 2 fights on the show by decision, then took out Hayder Hassan by arm triangle on the live finale. Since then, Usman has racked up an 11-fight win streak in the UFC, and 15 wins in a row overall. He's defeated the likes of Leon Edwards, Rafael dos Anjos, and Demian Maia, en route to dominating Tyron Woodley at UFC 235 to win the Welterweight title. Usman then successfully defended the belt against Colby Covington, stopping Colby in the 5th round with a barrage of punches to Covington's broken jaw.

Jorge Masvidal has been fighting professionally since 2003, though that's only if you don't count getting paid to beat up a dude named Ray in Kimbo Slice's back yard. Masvidal has been international from the jump, having fought in Costa Rica, Russia, and even the untamed wilderness that is New Jersey, and that was just his stint in Bodog. He's fought for Shark Fights and Sengoku, Bellator and Strikeforce, before finally joining the UFC in his 31st pro bout. Frequently a weight class jumper, Masvidal has stayed at welterweight for the last 5 years, racking up a 7-4 record at 170lbs in the UFC. He's currently riding a 3 fight, 3 finish win streak, comprised of a 2nd round KO of Darren Till in England, a 5 second flying knee destruction of Ben Askren, and a 3rd round doctor's stoppage over Nate Diaz to claim the Baddest Mother Fucker title, which as far as anyone is aware, is not on the line in this bout.

Co-Main Event: Featherweight Title - Alexander "The Great" Volkanovski vs Max "Blessed" Holloway

How they got here:

Volkanovski, a former 200+lbs rugby league player, is on an 18 fight win streak, with his only career loss coming from a fight in 2013 when he was a welterweight. Volkanovski made his UFC debut in 2016, with his first four bouts taking place in Australia or New Zealand. A decision win over the always tough Darren Elkins got Alex a PPV fight against Chad Mendes, and Volko won by 2nd round knockout. A decision win over Jose Aldo was enough to garner a title shot for Volkanovski, and at UFC 245, Alex defeated Max Holloway by unanimous decision.

Holloway made his UFC debut at 21, with just a 4-0 record. Max rebounded from that submission loss to win 3 in a row, before losing a pair of decisions in 2013. From 2014 to 2018, Max went on a ridiculous 13-win, 10-finish streak, including winning the interim Featherweight title against Anthony Pettis, unifying the belts against Jose Aldo, defeating Aldo in a rematch, and punching Brian Ortega's eye shut. Max went up in weight in 2019 for a chance to win the interim Lightweight title, but he fell short, again to Dustin Poirier. Holloway returned to 145lbs to defend the title for a 3rd time, beating Frankie Edgar, before losing the belt to Volkanovski in December 2019.

Vacant Bantamweight Title - Petr "No Mercy" Yan vs Jose Aldo Junior

How they got here:

Petr Yan hails from Russia, and tore through the Absolute Championship Berkut scene, defeating various types of Magomeds there, racking up an impressive 8-1 record, including winning and defending the ACB Bantamweight title. Yan made his UFC debut in 2018, knocking out Japanese sex fiend Teruto Ishihara in just under 3.5 minutes. Yan added 5 more UFC wins, including a great fight with Jin Soo Son, and an impressive head kick KO of Urijah Faber.

Jose Aldo is the best Featherweight. At one point, he was on an 18 fight win streak, half of which were defending the WEC or UFC title. However, following Aldo's title loss to Conor McGregor, he's struggled, going 3-4 since then. Currently on a 2-fight losing streak, one at 145 and one at his new weight of 135lbs, Aldo was chosen for this title opportunity for inscrutable reasons only Dana White's eggbrain can comprehend.

Strawweight - Jessica "Bate Estaca" Andrade vs "Thug" Rose Namajunas

How they got here:

Jessica Andrade came into the UFC back in 2013, when the only women's division was Bantamweight. Once the Strawweight division was established, Andrade won 3 straight, earned a title shot, and lost decisively to Joanna Jedrzejczyk. Jessica rattled off another 3 wins, including a decision over Claudia Gadelha, and a thunderous knockout of Karolina Kowalkiewicz, earning her another title shot, this time against Rose Namajunas. Despite a rough first round, Andrade won the title with a devastating 2nd round slam knockout. Andrade then ran face first into Zhang Weili's fists and knees in her first title defense, dropping the belt in 42 seconds.

Rose made her pro debut in Invicta, having gone 4-0 as an amateur (and Pat Barry's teenbride). She went 2-1, including a 12 second flying armbar, before becoming a member of The Ultimate Fighter season 20. Rose won all 3 of her TUF bouts via submission, leading to the live finale to crown the first ever UFC Strawweight champion against Carla Esparza. Rose lost that bout in the 3rd round via submission, having no answer for Esparza's wrestling. Namajunas went on a 3-fight win streak, including avenging her Invicta loss to Tecia Torres, before dropping a decision to Karolina Kowalkiewicz in a title eliminator bout. Rose rebounded with a submission over Michelle Waterson, earning her a title shot against Joanna Jedrzejczyk. Rose won via surprising first round knockout, and then successfully defended against Jedrzejczyk in a five round bout. Rose finally lost the title to Andrade, and took some time off to heal up.

Flyweight - "12 Gauge" Paige VanZant vs Amanda Ribas

How they got here:

VanZant was originally going to be one of the fighters on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter to determine a champion of the newly established Strawweight division. However, she was removed from the cast list when someone did the math and found out that the 20-year old VanZant was under 21, and due to the presence of vast quantities of alcohol on the show, Paige could not be allowed to participate. Instead, PVZ was signed directly to the UFC. In what would become a recurring issue, VanZant's debut was delayed due to an injury, but Paige still won her first 3 UFC bouts. After a bloody, one-sided submission loss to Rose Namajunas, PVZ defeated Felice Herrig with a highlight reel flying switch kick. Paige was then submitted by Michelle Waterson. A move up to Flyweight was announced, but before her debut at 125lbs, Paige pulled out of that bout, with another round of back injuries, plus pink eye, ringworm, sinus and ear infections, and I think swine flu. Paige lost her first fight at Flyweight, suffering a broken arm in the process, forcing her to sit out a year to heal up. VanZant made a triumphant return to the octagon, submitting Rachel Ostavich by armbar in January 2019, but she hasn't fought since then. Paige has had another pair of arm breaks (all on the same arm, best as I can tell).

Amanda Ribas's UFC career almost got derailed before it began. She was scheduled to take on Juliana Lima back in 2017, but a USADA violation for ostarine had a 2-year suspension hanging over her head. Ultimately, the sentence was reduced when it was determined that the source of the violation was a contaminated supplement. Ribas made her in-cage debut in 2019, submitting Emily Whitmire by rear naked choke. Amanda has racked up 2 more wins in a row, to put her current win streak at 4, with a 9-1 overall record.

Prelims - ESPN & ESPN+, 8PM ET

Light Heayweight - Volkan "No Time" Oezdemir vs Jiri "Denisa" Prochazka

Welterweight - Elizeu "Capoeira" dos Santos vs Muslim "King of Kung Fu" Salikov

Featherweight - Makwan "Mr. Finland" Amirkhani vs Danny "The Hatchet" Henry

Lightweight - Leonardo Santos vs Roman Bogatov

Early Prelims - UFC Fight Pass, 6PM ET

Heavyweight - Marcin "Tybur" Tybura vs Maxim "Maximus" Grishin

Flyweight - Raulian Paiva vs Zhalgas "Zhako" Zhumagulov

Bantamweight - Karol Rosa vs Vanessa "Miss Simpatia" Melo

Bantamweight - Martin "The Spartan" Day vs "Dangerous" Davey Grant

Lid posted:

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty days it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the red dome. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two monster-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. AND ITS ALL OVER. He loved Fight Island.

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
if anyone wants to add any pertinent or fun information, let me know and i'll plop it in

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for the thread LM! Many of us are super stoked for this one :getin:

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
boycotting this thread because of what you said about O'mAlley!!!! unacceptable opinion, my friend

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

This card should absolutely slay. Makes me miss having people over for the big cool cards, but I'll be happy to watch regardless.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Man, this card looks sick. Psyched for this one.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Rogan is doing Fight Companion tonight with Joey Diaz and Tony Hinchcliffe starting at 10pm est.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Who wants to bet a 1 Day with me? I got Usman.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I hate that this card is happening, but it's a good fuckin' card and I am excited for it anyway because I am a puppet

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i kinda think i would parlay tonight if i could afford to spare the money.

Ribas, Andrade, Yan, Volkanovski, Usman seems like one of the safest 5-teamers out there.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

JOHN CENA posted:

Ribas, Andrade, Yan, Volkanovski, Usman seems like one of the safest 5-teamers out there.

Eh I think Rose vs Andrade is still kind of a tossup, and Volkanovski has some kind of bad cut on his nose that might end up causing a problem in the fight. I agree about the other 3 though.

Thanks for the effort OP LobsterMobster!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Brut posted:

Eh I think Rose vs Andrade is still kind of a tossup, and Volkanovski has some kind of bad cut on his nose that might end up causing a problem in the fight. I agree about the other 3 though.

Didn't Max talk about having to do his training over Skype? I feel like that can't be good prep for 5 rounds

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty days it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the red dome. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two monster-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. AND ITS ALL OVER. He loved Fight Island.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

tyvm

I was going to do a "what do they bring to the table" for each fighter as well, breaking down their fighting styles, but i got lazy, lol

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

JOHN CENA posted:

Who wants to bet a 1 Day with me? I got Usman.

I'm down

Also Rose is gonna win then take the belt from Zhang

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I put all my money on various ways to bet Usman knocking out Masvidal, do me proud Style Bender.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Dave posted:

Usman knocking out Masvidal, do me proud Style Bender.

Wait what

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I'm hype

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

G-Hawk posted:

I'm hype

just an update many many many years ago we had a bit of a fight in one of these threads and i said something dismissive citing "like that guy in your avatar"

I now know that is James Harden

he will never get another MVP.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

JOHN CENA posted:

Didn't Max talk about having to do his training over Skype? I feel like that can't be good prep for 5 rounds

almost certainly gamesmanship

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

JaySB posted:

Wait what

Casual fan thinks two completely distinct looking Nigerians are the same black guy

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JaySB posted:

Wait what

haha whooops fruedian slip because buddy was talking about him

rest his guts posted:

Casual fan thinks two completely distinct looking Nigerians are the same black guy

I prefer dumb fan over casual because i've invested too much time into this v dumb sport

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
hey no worries, pal. I'm just still worked up about the fact that someone has the Mickey Gall to not like Sean O'Malley and it's boiling over

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nice suit Buffer

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

weed fighters are the best fighters

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

automatically root against anyone named any variant of Spartan

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ahhhh nothing like UFC on a hungover sunday morning.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BlindSite posted:

Ahhhh nothing like UFC on a hungover sunday morning.

get back in quarantine before you cause an outbreak

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

automatically root against anyone named any variant of Spartan

Nice right by Day

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I was watching tuf18 earlier this week sup Davey Grant

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I wish DC was doing commentary too. Bisbing and DC would be a fun team

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lid posted:

get back in quarantine before you cause an outbreak

Wrong state brah, QLD has like 1 case active and 0 transmission.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

camauro will win

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
10-9 Day; 10-9 Grant

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Day vs Grant is real good if you ain't watching yet.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

goddamn

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's dead Jim.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Bye

Brut
Aug 21, 2007