Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was it
Yes
No
Last good gta was san andreas (SA lol)
Goku
View Results

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Was it ever proven the SA Goon rank was about here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
There isaa secret code that lets you see the grand theft autos haveibg SEX together and I saw a boobs!!

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

not a checkbox poll, shameful

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yes. A pusher robot appears and chases you no clip around the map trying to protect you from the horrible secret of the stars until you level through

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"ALL U HAD 2 DO WAS BE PROTECTED, CJ'

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Muk Dumpster posted:

Was it ever proven the SA Goon rank was about here?
I remember hearing that a programmer at Rockstar was a poster around the time the game came out, and Vice City would be far from the last major game of the early 2000s to hide a nod to this place somewhere.

I think there was also another reference to us nerds in the promo push for Manhunt - I think it was a poster on a fake message board telling someone else to "go back to somethingawful" or something, but I haven't looked it up in a very long time.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There's tons of sa references in AA and AAA games around then, before, and after even.

Hell there was content in some of the original Everquest add-ons that came out just after ruins of kunark
So, whatever that was, velious? Maybe?
I remember hearing about that kinda after the fact though.
That's how I originally got introduced to this place in the early '00's was through an EQ community

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I think a goon did the script for one of the FFIV remakes and gooned it up a bit.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 29, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I think a goon did the script for one of the FFIV remakes and gooned it up a bit.

The GBA FF4 has Cid go 'your goons wrecked this place up something awful' at some point :v:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
My uncle works for rockstar and he told me but he told me not to tell you.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Doom 3 had SA open in one of the computer monitor tabs if I remember correctly.

Good god, that was a lifetime ago...

:Edit: I cannot find a reference to this anywhere. Surely I didn't dream this? I recall it also had Fark and being bummed that it was more prominently displayed...

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 29, 2020

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
the game zero wing made reference to the popular SA meme "all your base are belong to us"

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

a lot of games with gang members in them mention goons...

i love it!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PTA: Lice Clitty you say?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

GAYIDS posted:

There isaa secret code that lets you see the grand theft autos haveibg SEX together and I saw a boobs!!

your gimmick isn't funny

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I looked at the poll and it mentions San Andreas. I had to think for a minute because GTA4 seems so long ago. San Andreas came out in 2004, that's 16 years ago. That's more time than has passed since it's release than has passed since the games release and the era it was set in (early 90's).

Anyone else feeling old?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Valko posted:

I looked at the poll and it mentions San Andreas. I had to think for a minute because GTA4 seems so long ago. San Andreas came out in 2004, that's 16 years ago. That's more time than has passed since it's release than has passed since the games release and the era it was set in (early 90's).

Anyone else feeling old?

This is also true of Vice City.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Valko posted:

Anyone else feeling old?

I still remember the man in the green jersey I killed in San Andreas. The first man I killed in San Andreas, I ran him over.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Valko posted:

Anyone else feeling old?

I had this thought a couple years ago and brought it up somewhere (I legit don't remember if it was here or it came up at work or what) and I got a very impressive "So what" for a response :mad:

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
New vegas is the best game to immortalize the goon forums.. it contains the ycs catchphrase “talk about owned” and also 4 balls at the edge of a cliff, are featured

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
I remember getting it when I played and I see screenshots of it...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I recall that it was in between other ranks like SA Thug and SA Enforcer or similar which made me think it was more coincidence than anything

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
when i equip the unique YCS/186 gauss rifle in new vegas, im fondly reminded of the ycs death spiral where the whole forum was full of making GBS threads dick nipples and suchlike

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
SA invented the word "Goon" confirmed

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

You had to enter a cheat to even see the ranks and the SA Goon rank had a window of only like 10 points when everything else had a couple hundred or thousand point range so you had to try to get it or just get absurdly lucky. It was definitely an easter egg instead of a coincidence

EDIT:

500excf type r posted:

I recall that it was in between other ranks like SA Thug and SA Enforcer or similar which made me think it was more coincidence than anything

I looked it up. 1000 points even is SA Goon. 1010 points you graduate to a normal goon.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 29, 2020

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
hey OP, yes the SA Goon rank was a little funny we put in there back in the day lol. keep hunting!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I remember getting it when I played and I see screenshots of it...

Barely able to start and not completing a project. Clearly a reference to the forums.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Isometric Bacon posted:

Doom 3 had SA open in one of the computer monitor tabs if I remember correctly.

Good god, that was a lifetime ago...

:Edit: I cannot find a reference to this anywhere. Surely I didn't dream this? I recall it also had Fark and being bummed that it was more prominently displayed...

I remember this as well and it was before I had an account here so like fifteen years ago.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

SA invented the word "Goon" confirmed

You joke but I remember someone on this very forum saying "lol" originates from here and they seemed to really believe it.

LOL!

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You had to enter a cheat to even see the ranks and the SA Goon rank had a window of only like 10 points when everything else had a couple hundred or thousand point range so you had to try to get it or just get absurdly lucky. It was definitely an easter egg instead of a coincidence

EDIT:

I looked it up. 1000 points even is SA Goon. 1010 points you graduate to a normal goon.

Yeah its the only ranking to have such a small window to see it

http://en.m.wikigta.org/wiki/Criminal_Rating_(GTA_Vice_City)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
AdamD or something was the dev at rockstar that posted here and its definitely real

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The "SA" stood for "Saudi Arabia" since Mohammed bin Salman personally financed the game. Just a another fun Easter egg that our friends at Rock Star sneaked in.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Nobody has ever inserted an SA reference into video games

SA doesn't even exist

~imagination postin' station~

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Cyberpunk has a real good hidden Aatrek reference when my character's dong popped out in public

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Nicolas Winding Refn made his alliances clear with the Pusher series

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
tiberium sun was about mining tibs which was a very niche byob reference

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

the Super Monkey Ball series got its start in a Zybourne Clock-themed game jam

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite dumb conspiracy theory about a secret goon reference in a game was the fact that at the beginning of FFX-2 when you fight the villain's grunts they drop 100 Gil and a grenade and that this is supposed to be a reference to :10bux: and the SA grenade logo.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

fark.com posted:

"Though released to critical acclaim and regarded as one of the best games of all time, Red Dead Redemption 2 is not without controversy. One particularly tasteless feature allows you to graphically assault women NPCs. This is believed to be an Easter egg left by lead Rockstar developer Kirk Johnson, who says it pays tribute to the owner of Something Awful forums, Rich Kyanka."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Giving a knowing chuckle as you sneak into the Shinra building by climbing the stairs, a classic goon reference.