Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

For most of us its the offseason and there is no reason to wait for the Canada division to catch up to post this thread. They will all end up here anyway. Time for your postmortems and predictions, your wish lists and insanely lopsided Eichel trade ideas, and most importantly your dogshit garbage.

Buffalo forever being Buffalo even 8 years later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40HfH1UiXo

For me I hope Chicago finds a buyer for Toews, even if he isnt broken and busted. Also hope they send Zadorov literally anywhere, even into space. Not sure how much else they can change for a rebuild considering the shortened seasons havnt really helped see which prospects are going to pan out and which arent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Please for the love of god fire David Quinn.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
The Buffalo Sabres are going to make the playoffs next year and I'm really excited about it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whatis posted:

The Buffalo Sabres are going to make the playoffs next year and I'm really excited about it

Stop this nonsense right now

I’m interested to see how Kevyn Adams handles his press conference tomorrow. He’s gonna roll in on a miniature fire engine like Stanley Spedowski. Hopefully he will make Mike Harrington drink from the fire hose.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m interested to see how Kevyn Adams handles his press conference tomorrow. He’s gonna roll in on a miniature fire engine like Stanley Spedowski. Hopefully he will make Mike Harrington drink from the fire hose.

lmao, did you see this poo poo he wrote?

https://twitter.com/DavidJCervi/status/1392139008113774602

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hard to be too beat up about missing in chaos season, but dang those OT losses hurt. If they'd have won like 25% of their games past regulation they're easily in.

Nice to see some kids develop, especially what should be the clader winner in Robertson (will lose to the guy with like 6 professional season under his old man belt). Oettinger looked good for the most part and is a bright spot with bishop probably being dead (he'll come back for 2 games then his taint will explode or something).

Hintz and Klingberg were both great and Miro, though I thought he'd breakout a bit more this year, had a good offensive outing all year. The whole defence was good all year, actually.

Gurianov had another good outing and the new top 6 is shaping out well. Joe loving pavelaki of all people had his best season in a while. Even Benn looked good in the last few weeks of play.

And, as always, Nill looks down on his failure of a team and proclaims: there's just nothing we can do to try to improve, this roster is perfect.

Big question for me is Bowness. He hasn't been terrible and his defensive structure is either good or Klingberg, Miro, lindel, and co are just really good at D (I'm honestly not even sure which it is). Holy poo poo he needs to learn how to play in OT though. You DO NOT try to score unless its 100% and you DO NOT do anything exciting or fun that could risk turning the puck over a single time. Unfortunately that Cinderella cup run probably extended Bowness and Nill's shelf life by a half a decade so more of the same unless next year is an unmitigated disaster (yay).

Not too beat up about it because of just all the everything that happened this year but this roster going into next year a bit older with radulov and Seguin back and more options in net and they'll probably bounce right back. Also helps to not have Florida Tampa and Carolina in our division (not that the central has been too much better lately, but I digress).

And, most importantly, this season gave us the holy grail of hockey sweaters: Tron-looking 90s-laser tag kickin rad alternates with a sex toy based threat sewn on.

Fuckin Rules

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 12, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1392490908776607746

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Panarin and Fox are going to love playing for Torts

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

oh no stop please don't go...

Honestly he's OK but yeah I think the team kinda needs someone else to take it to the next step. I think he has tried to teach the team and kids good habits and to play a "complete game" so to speak but other things I have been less than thrilled about and he seems to lack something to really have the team prepared for games. Part of that was having a very young and inexperienced team but yeah

Just hope the replacement won't be some lovely predictable retread. Also that they'll give the kids more responsibility...I get bringing along the kids slow but it's a bit tough that the top picks of the last few years were basically sheltered at all times

Kakko made huge steps from last year into becoming a very good defensive player and complete player all over the ice but Quinn still did not trust him and played far less responsible players over him in important situations. He could be a two way stud soon (:quagmire:) if his offense jumps up as much as his defense did last year, but he needs more top six icetime and power play time for that to happen, not to be sheltered.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Panarin and Fox are going to love playing for Torts

Bread legitimately did the first time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Smiling ear to ear right now.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Canada announced their World Hockey Championships:

Half these names are made up.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

That's the worst World Championships roster from Canada I've ever seen. I'm not looking this up but I assume Connor Brown would be the points leader of that group from the regular season.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, everybody knows "Brayden" is spelled with a "y."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Misanthrope posted:

Obviously fake players are the best part of the World Championships. Can't wait to see them lose to Germany.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Is Jack Eichel gonna recruit himself?

Well, probably...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

Are guys just unwilling to travel because of covid or what because that's one of the worst whc rosters I've ever seen from Canada

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

Are guys just unwilling to travel because of covid or what because that's one of the worst whc rosters I've ever seen from Canada

I'm betting that's a large part of it. I imagine the world hockey championships will have similar protocols to the NHL, so instead of flying around Canada all season and sitting in hotel rooms... now they get to fly to beautiful/scenic Riga and .... sit in hotel rooms.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Maybe there's a requirement to be fully vaccinated as well and these were the best of the players who already are?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Players have to also be tired as hell. I think it’s worth reminding, a bunch of times because it’s legit easy to forget, that this was a stressful, very compact season played during a pandemic where players could not always see their own team, let alone family.

Laine in the quote above is lamenting because the Jackets in part had a bad season, but honestly I don’t think we can blame any player for being like “ok, that was extremely difficult and exhausting, I need to stay home and see my family.”

Obviously with the exception of Crosby, who is a literal hockey robot.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That looks about on par with a Spengler Cup team

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spengler cup rear end lineup right there

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

All those players come with listed NHL clubs and I'm pretty sure about half are lying. Mario Ferraro played last season with the San Jose Sharks? Not loving likely.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
As I've gotten older I no longer have an encyclopedic knowledge of every team's roster and farm system, but I did recognize pretty much all those names, so I guess I haven't lost touch completely yet.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

As I've gotten older I no longer have an encyclopedic knowledge of every team's roster and farm system, but I did recognize pretty much all those names, so I guess I haven't lost touch completely yet.

I have certainly seen a picture of Justin Trudeau on the Danforth. So, of course, I do recognize that name. But the player is still fake.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I've been reading a bit about Lane Lambert and I think I want him to replace Quinn? I'm not really a fan of all the retreads out there aside from maybe Gallant.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You know it's still kind of incredible to me that Babcock sucked so much with the leafs that it killed his career like immediately dead in its tracks, not that he didn't absolutely deserve it but in a league that so obviously an old boys' club a coach that won the cup, and multiple gold and world medals, is basically unemployable seems to suggest something more than his record/public criticism is at play.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

You know it's still kind of incredible to me that Babcock sucked so much with the leafs that it killed his career like immediately dead in its tracks, not that he didn't absolutely deserve it but in a league that so obviously an old boys' club a coach that won the cup, and multiple gold and world medals, is basically unemployable seems to suggest something more than his record/public criticism is at play.

Some team is absolutely gonna hire Babcock as head coach in the next 2-5 years.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It's pretty unique to have a guy like Johan Franzen come forward and be like "that guy ruined my life." If it was just bullying Marner because Babs wanted the team to draft Hanifin instead or scratching Spezza in front of his family for his hometown opener to spite his GM for not signing a tough guy it would be one thing, but former Cup winners coming forward to say "hey gently caress that guy" carry a little more weight.

Sportsnet did bend over backwards to give him a platform for his redemption tour this season, so someone wants him back in the NHL, but he was so arrogant and unapologetic in those broadcasts that he probably set himself back.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Cocaine Bear posted:

Big question for me is Bowness. He hasn't been terrible and his defensive structure is either good or Klingberg, Miro, lindel, and co are just really good at D (I'm honestly not even sure which it is). Holy poo poo he needs to learn how to play in OT though. You DO NOT try to score unless its 100% and you DO NOT do anything exciting or fun that could risk turning the puck over a single time. Unfortunately that Cinderella cup run probably extended Bowness and Nill's shelf life by a half a decade so more of the same unless next year is an unmitigated disaster (yay).

I agree with most of what you posted, the team's underlying numbers were good this year and with better injury luck, a less ruthlessly compacted schedule, or winning some of those OT coin tosses they would have easily made the playoffs.

Bowness is ancient, I do kind of wonder what his game plan is going forward. Its nice that younger players seem to at least have a chance to break out and flourish under his coaching, that's not something that has been too common in Dallas for as long as I've been following the team. Really the next few years are going to be about how gracefully the Stars can transition from being a team where almost all the core players are on the wrong side of the age curve to replacing those contributions with the guys that are starting to filter into the roster the last year or two.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Furnaceface posted:

For me I hope Chicago finds a buyer for Toews, even if he isnt broken and busted. Also hope they send Zadorov literally anywhere, even into space. Not sure how much else they can change for a rebuild considering the shortened seasons havnt really helped see which prospects are going to pan out and which arent.

Even if he was healthy and there was interest, I doubt Toews would waive his NMC.

It sounds like they still like Zadorov (although there's no way they would say otherwise in public). Bowman mentioned he thought Zadorov was one of the team's top 2 or 3 defensemen. That's probably true, if only because the rest of the blue line featured 20-22 year old rookies and players who were old, injured, or a combination of both. Being one of the best defensemen on arguably the worst defensive team in the league is nothing to be proud of. My only hope is that the Stillman extension means they're ready to move on from Zadorov.

But yeah, their options are pretty limited. The massive NMC contracts (Kane, Seabrook, Toews) prevent them from completely rebuilding or aggressively adding to the roster to try and make another cup run. And while many of the rookies who debuted this year seem like they might turn into fine players eventually, most look like bottom 6 or third pairing guys at best. Assuming they do not make any major moves this offseason, I imagine the hope is that both Dach and Boqvist can stay healthy and take massive steps forward next year. They also may be putting way too much hope in failed draft pick reclamation projects, especially since Strome isn't exactly working out the way they thought. Maybe Borgstorm will be better, though?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

I've been reading a bit about Lane Lambert and I think I want him to replace Quinn? I'm not really a fan of all the retreads out there aside from maybe Gallant.

Prepare to be disappointed I think

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

Prepare to be disappointed I think

If it's Hartley or Babcock RIP.

Brooks is saying Gallant is #1 on the list.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

If it's Hartley or Babcock RIP.

Brooks is saying Gallant is #1 on the list.

I'd be fine with Gallant but I hear he was high in the running for the Kraken job.

MIght depend if he thinks starting with another expansion team is a good way to go or trying to mold a team of vets and young players into a competitive team is more attractive.
the downside is Dolan showing what a mercurial fucker he is might scare off some candidates

e: Babcock is probably the only one that I'd really hate. Not a fan of Hartley, as I recall he's also someone who called Scott Parker(?) a pussy for coming to him and saying "uhh I can't see straight and my head is hosed up from these concussions"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Some team is absolutely gonna hire Babcock as head coach in the next 2-5 years.

This, sadly. gently caress Babcock though, keep his rear end blackballed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ummagumma posted:

Even if he was healthy and there was interest, I doubt Toews would waive his NMC.

It sounds like they still like Zadorov (although there's no way they would say otherwise in public). Bowman mentioned he thought Zadorov was one of the team's top 2 or 3 defensemen. That's probably true, if only because the rest of the blue line featured 20-22 year old rookies and players who were old, injured, or a combination of both. Being one of the best defensemen on arguably the worst defensive team in the league is nothing to be proud of. My only hope is that the Stillman extension means they're ready to move on from Zadorov.

But yeah, their options are pretty limited. The massive NMC contracts (Kane, Seabrook, Toews) prevent them from completely rebuilding or aggressively adding to the roster to try and make another cup run. And while many of the rookies who debuted this year seem like they might turn into fine players eventually, most look like bottom 6 or third pairing guys at best. Assuming they do not make any major moves this offseason, I imagine the hope is that both Dach and Boqvist can stay healthy and take massive steps forward next year. They also may be putting way too much hope in failed draft pick reclamation projects, especially since Strome isn't exactly working out the way they thought. Maybe Borgstorm will be better, though?

I dunno about Toews. He was pretty vocal against doing a rebuild so I imagine he might waive to go to a more established/competitive roster like, say, Winnipeg or NYR.

The rest of it is still dealing with the Cup run contracts and constant downgrades to bring back old roster players that Bowman seemingly loves. Its hamstrung any true rebuild and leaves the team just good enough to miss out on high draft picks.

On the bright side I think the Hawks are fine in net at least. Having one of the worst defensive lineups in the league in front of them didnt really help numbers but Lankinen looked good for a rookie starter while Subban and Delia were both decent options for backup.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

is there any news to suggest Toews is gonna play again?
Last I heard was "no news" which is generally... not a good sign for an athlete playing again

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

https://twitter.com/MarkLazerus/status/1392484728012427266

So Toews is either back next season or dead, depending on the Blackhawks cap situation.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Isnt part of the issue with Babcock that teams would have to buyout part of his Toronto contract which is ludicrously expensive, or am i misremembering how that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Probably not. If he's getting 8 million or whatever it is, the Leafs are probably on the hook for all of it outside of whatever the Rangers or whoever would pay him per year.

So if he gets 5 per from the Rangers, the Leafs still owe him the other 3 to get him up to 8. Although this is a likely guess and not 100% for sure since no-one usually knows what's actually in coach's contracts.