Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Original thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936256

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is a thread about people who get really weird, angry and controlling about people not eating exactly what they eat, or just not obeying them at dinner in general. Militant vegans, militant carnivores, hypocritical vegans and carnivores, people who keep the salt and pepper shakers in a cupboard at all times and clearly only begrudgingly take them out on request for a guest to season a single plate with and immediately put them away afterwards... you probably know what I mean. Somehow everyone seems to have an experience with someone who gets incredibly, awkwardly and embarrassingly mad that someone else doesn't adhere to their incredibly arbitrary and white food rules. And not just because goons are all fat fucks. Let at it, bitch about these weird fuckers.

This was a fun thread about yelling past each other about weird eating habits, meal rules, and broke-brained people who only drink mt dew and beer instead of water and fall into shocked silence when you suggest anything that isn't some form of fried chicken or cheese pizza. Dig in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Some highlights from last time

Weird family meal rules

naem posted:

my sisters husbands parents, her in laws, host a weekly sunday brunch and expect all 4 of their sons, their spouses, and the grandkids to attend EVERY WEEK.

This isn’t christmas, this isn’t a special event, this is just, Sunday. EVERY Sunday.

They also expect anyone at all related who is in town to also attend, and get FURIOUSLY upset if you don’t. Like, red faced, trying to restrain themselves from assault level anger.

They also serve really bad food in tiny portions and have all these unwritten rules like:

-only one teaspoon of scrambled eggs per person. there are 15 people in this room and we cooked less than one egg per person so, literally a teaspoon.
-one teaspoon of refried beans out of the can that were microwaved two hours ago (everyone in this story is white fyi)
-you get two tortillas, you’re only allowed to put fillings in one
-salsa?? yeah it’s on the table but don’t, you know, have any, ok fine but not A WHOLE TEASPOON? They’ll literally gasp in shock. Might was well take a poo poo on the table.
-two very thin lozenges of a non-breakfast sausage. TWO!!
-Four (4) individual corn chips
-you can not be as tall as Old Dad, or have wider shoulders
-NO EYE CONTACT
-Old Dad and Wife get to Talk, attempts by others to converse are interrupted
-why are your shoulders so wide, stop, being a person there in your chair politely you, guy as tall as me you, who I invited
-Old Dad is the biggest man in the world

ok everyone, have your ration of food? is there food left no one is eating? Is it more food than was taken to eat? Ok good. No one gets that. That’s not eating food.

The HOST and HOSTESS now get coffee, there are two cups worth of coffee and we get it and don’t offer anyone else, because you are children. In your thirties. Children don’t get coffee. My mom? Their age? No coffee. Why would we offer anyone coffee. This is our house. We are the money people (they are not money people)

If you break any of these rules then ELDERLY DAD will literally growl at you with all the feeble rage that a 70 year old who still hasn’t inherited the million or two he’d hoped for yet can muster.

Offers to, go potluck style in the future or bring a starbucks coffee thing for everyone or acknowledge this weird food situation at all, any attempts to feed growing children sufficient amounts result in physical threats of violence and loss of future salsa rights

All their adult children and their wives seem resigned to their fate after a decade but i’ve refused to go after a few of these visits and literally said gently caress off to their face after being yelled at.

All four of the sons have weird food issues, one eats entire sheet cakes regularly and another only eats hamburgers but never finishes them and makes a show of being disinterested in the last third of each burger. One of them rearranges the furniture to the exact way it looked when he was a kid and glares at anyone getting in his way.

also my mom is about as well off as they are at this point I’m not sure where the self importance comes from

Drinking water? Like from the toilet???

Cheesus posted:

I was like this for a long time.

Growing up, my parents owned a small grocery store and our house was attached to it. Among the biggest problems of being a teenager with unfettered access to junk food was from the age of 9-18, I'd only drink Mt. Dew, Verifine fruit punch, and the occasional milk. I'd drink water on infrequent camping trips once or twice a year but that was it. If the liquid wasn't sweet, I wouldn't drink it. Only after college did I start to voluntarily ween myself from the poo poo but it was a long process in my 20s and 30s going from sugared, artificial sweetener, seltzer to get to water.

Even once I was able to get a "taste" for water, it took a few years to "drink" enough. It's only been in the past year that I've actually been drinking an ounce or two from the bathroom faucet when I wake up in the middle of the night to pee.

How I managed to get to 47 without diabetes or major kidney damage, I don't know.

I'm not terribly emotional about a lot in this lovely world, but seeing parents who transition their kids off breast milk/formula to soda is heartbreaking to me.

Pirate granny

Internetjack posted:

My grandma, RIP, was a plate mooch. She'd have her own plate of food but would always want a bite off everyone else's for whatever strange psychotic reason. Especially at restaurants.
Meek and humble voice from an 80+ year old, "Oh can I try a bit of that?" to everyone at the table. It wasn't a one-off, it was 6-10 times per meal for decades, and it drove people nuts.

As a joke, one of her sons bought her a telescoping fork as a gag-gift. Mistake.
This was like handing a harpoon to Ishmael. She just stopped asking and started plundering plates from that moment forward. She'd carry that thing like a Texan with an open-carry .45 at a BBQ. It was insane, food being speared and stolen from about 4' across the table.

At her funeral, it was held up in memory of her, and everyone had a good laugh.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IT IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE TO WALK INTO A RESTAURANT AND STARE AT SOMEBODY FOR 15 MINUTES WHILE YOUR FRIEND WHO WORKS THERE GRIEFS THEM OVER THEIR ORDER CHOICES, NO PROB BUB.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

pirate granny is my new god

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm apparently such an rear end in a top hat about my meat and cheese only soft shell tacos that the manager recognizedme after I hadn't been in there for a year (pandemic) and literally screamed at her employees not to get lettuce in my tacos. I don't recall making a scene but I am sure I terrified her somehow as I make it clear that I will politely be a huge bastard if they gently caress up my tacos

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I want an update from naem on that situation to see if it's still equally bonkers.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
Breakfast must be consumed with orange juice.

Lunch and dinner must be consumed with ginger ale.

Desserts and sweets must be consumed with whole milk. No substitutes.

These are the rules of my former room mate. It didn't matter how much time I had spent preparing a meal, or what time of day it was. If the beverage rules were not followed, the meal could not begin until he returned from the store with his beverage, which required a two mile walk on his part.

Oh, almost forgot that pizza required a side of hot giardiniera. Easy enough when ordering a pizza, not so much when cooking a frozen one, which also required doctoring in some fashion(extra cheese, garlic). No quick and easy with that rear end in a top hat, ever.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
A friend once gave me the crazy eyes when I said that I put rice on beans instead of vice-versa (it's a brazilian thing)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

I want an update from naem on that situation to see if it's still equally bonkers.

yeh, I had forgotten all about that.

I say just growl back, but louder. make pops your bitch

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

A friend once gave me the crazy eyes when I said that I put rice on beans instead of vice-versa (it's a brazilian thing)

it's a brazilian thing to put rice on beans? or beans on rice?

Beans go on top, so the juices and what not can make it's way into the rice bed.

rice on beans just seems like it'd be some 'bleh' rice on top of beans.

I'm curious now. Do them side by side, at least.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Big Scary Owl posted:

I mean I'd definitely never speak to you again if I saw that, and I'm just some American.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

blight rhino posted:

it's a brazilian thing to put rice on beans? or beans on rice?

Beans go on top, so the juices and what not can make it's way into the rice bed.

rice on beans just seems like it'd be some 'bleh' rice on top of beans.

I'm curious now. Do them side by side, at least.

The usual thing is to have the beans on top yeah, but I usually separate them or have the rice on top. I like tasting them separately.

Decon posted:

I mean I'd definitely never speak to you again if I saw that, and I'm just some American.
:saddowns:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a young dude at my work has to fully deconstruct every meal before he can eat it. burger broken down into segments, meat/onions/other veg separated out of curry sauce, kebab arranged into small piles. I've never asked him about it because he has that kind of spree-killer aura

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I think it’s me, I was the food weird.

I grew up with food insecurity. My parents made drat sure we got a hot meal for dinner but often there wasn’t much of it. By end of the week we’d be “augmenting” the bits of casserole leftovers and soup with rice. My mom cooked a big pot of something Sunday and we’d eat off that for the rest of the week. I would babysit for ramen money since they were 10 for a dollar back then. School lunch was $2 and I was grateful for it.

As an adult this left me with a paralyzing fear of not having enough food. I love dinner parties and bbqs and potlucks and all. But I’ll cook… uh… a lot. Like, three main courses seven side dishes and four or five appetizers for a group of six people. Want to bring something? Dessert! So we’d have rafts of leftovers and I’d send people home with takeout containers.

This isn’t so bad, but I would do it at other potlucks too. “Well they asked me to make a side dish. So I’ll bring a bean salad, and I love making this sauce for it and that sauce goes well with bread so I’ll bake some of that and oh if I double the dough recipe I could use part of it for rolls if I buy some dried fruits to bake in them and I can make a second dip if I use the rest of the fruits mixed with cream cheese and” I’d show up with like 5 dishes and still be nervous. A strong aversion to waste (use that handful of leftover cherries in this other recipe!!) combined with crippling food insecurity meant I came with enough food for an army.

I’m better now thanks to therapy about my crap childhood. Sorry friends for seeming rude, like I did t trust you to cook!!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Tuggin to cakefarts rn

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i hate when people get real mad and jack off in the macaroni. it's like, what the hell, man?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My parents and family would rag on me for being picky since I always went straight for the Mac and cheese and rolls with butter and such instead of an actual entree but now I'm the one who eats weird exotic food and have been subsisting on sushi since I was a teenager and it turns out I just don't like Midwestern cuisine all that much!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hell Yeah posted:

i hate when people get real mad and jack off in the macaroni. it's like, what the hell, man?

I hate when everyone is sucking and loving on the macaroni, slobbing on the macaroni's knob and stroking their dicks off inside the macaroni, and then someone comes by to try and eat it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

deadeyez posted:

I'm apparently such an rear end in a top hat about my meat and cheese only soft shell tacos that the manager recognizedme after I hadn't been in there for a year (pandemic) and literally screamed at her employees not to get lettuce in my tacos. I don't recall making a scene but I am sure I terrified her somehow as I make it clear that I will politely be a huge bastard if they gently caress up my tacos

lmao at you seething through your teeth "if I find even ONE loving piece of lettuce in my quesalupa combo so HELP me..."

What those tacos lacked in iceberg they more than made up for in loogies

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Sometimes I go to subway and dont feel bad about myself

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
one time i was at a bus station in calgary and a guy tried to fight me cuz i looked at his bacon and eggs

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

deadeyez posted:

You. It's you. You're the worst person on earth.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Who What Now posted:

lmao at you seething through your teeth "if I find even ONE loving piece of lettuce in my quesalupa combo so HELP me..."

What those tacos lacked in iceberg they more than made up for in loogies

I hate fast food lettuce in my tacos. These already aren't great, I'm paying you pennies for a meals worth of starch and meat, please don't make them worse by adding a fistful of wet lettuce devoid of nutrients or texture. But still if they forget and give me lettuce I won't complain because picking it out takes less than 10 seconds lol.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I have a coworker who hates certain categories of food, but he doesn't hate them for their taste, texture, or anything really that can be directly sensed from the food, but rather the food's biological origin. Basically, he refuses to eat anything that contains mushrooms or crustaceans, regardless of how indistinguishable or undetectable these ingredients may be in the food. One time when we were served a dish that supposedly had mushrooms in it, he told me flat out that he doesn't care if he can taste, smell, or in any way detect the presence of mushrooms; he just didn't want to eat it because he knew they were in there, and the thought of that disgusted him. He even confided to me the story of a time where he started eating a dish, thought it tasted great, then after being informed that it contained mushrooms, immediately felt sick and refused to eat any more. Regarding crustaceans, this guy has no problem with seafood in general. I'd even say he's less picky than the average American (he eats sashimi, octopus, ikura, even uni) but he absolutely refuses to eat crab or lobster meat. His reason? They look like "bugs" which he hates, and therefore he finds the idea of eating them disgusting.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 28, 2021

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A chick called the cops on me because I ordered a vegetarian meal once. She got fired and the cop that actually responded got pantsed in front of the whole restaurant, utility belt and all.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
how big was his dick?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I can't eat crustaceans that are intact enough to still look like an animal. Crustacean meat? Great! Peeled shrimp with the tail on? Sure! Whole lobster? Yeah, uh, sorry, can't do it, it's looking at me

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

I have a coworker who hates certain categories of food, but he doesn't hate them for their taste, texture, or anything really that can be directly sensed from the food, but rather the food's biological origin. Basically, he refuses to eat anything that contains mushrooms or crustaceans, regardless of how indistinguishable or undetectable these ingredients may be in the food. One time when we were served a dish that supposedly had mushrooms in it, he told me flat out that he doesn't care if he can taste, smell, or in any way detect the presence of mushrooms; he just didn't want to eat it because he knew they were in there, and the thought of that disgusted him. He even confided to me the story of a time where he started eating a dish, thought it tasted great, then after being informed that it contained mushrooms, immediately felt sick and refused to eat any more. Regarding crustaceans, this guy has no problem seafood in general. I'd even say he's less picky than the average American (he eats sashimi, octopus, ikura, even uni) but he absolutely refuses to eat crab or lobster meat. His reason? They look like "bugs" which he hates, and therefore he finds the idea of eating them disgusting.

I don't eat mushrooms because I break out in hives when I do.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Devils Affricate posted:

I have a coworker who hates certain categories of food, but he doesn't hate them for their taste, texture, or anything really that can be directly sensed from the food, but rather the food's biological origin. Basically, he refuses to eat anything that contains mushrooms or crustaceans, regardless of how indistinguishable or undetectable these ingredients may be in the food.

Had a friend who had the same thing plus pigs. Because crustaceans eat poo poo, mushrooms grow in poo poo, and pigs live in poo poo.

But my friend was culturally jewish & religiously 100% atheist, so was obviously just finding some rationalizations to keep doing the dietary rules he'd been raised with. Shrimp bad, pigs bad, therefore mushrooms also bad because they fit a pattern.

I tactfully didn't mention that if you grow up in a rural farming area like I did, you know that everything else you eat gets a nice big helping of poo poo at some point. Cows are just as filthy as pigs. And you know it's spring when the whole town smells like poo poo because the manure spreading is happening. Every plant you eat was planted in a bed of poo poo.

Plus he wasn't hysterical or psych himself into being sick, so I didn't give him poo poo about it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Klyith posted:

Cows are just as filthy as pigs.

If what my ranching in-laws say about cows are true then there is a non-zero percent chance you have eaten a cow that has eaten a stray cat

Nature be like that tho

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PinheadSlim posted:

If what my ranching in-laws say about cows are true then there is a non-zero percent chance you have eaten a cow that has eaten a stray cat

Nature be like that tho

Gotta get protein from somewhere.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I mean, in the US, chickens are kept so poorly they have constant infections and are chlorinated to kill e coli, so... I know they're just these weird little birds, but nothing should be forced into a cage with its face burnt half off, unable to even get away from its own poo poo.

I'm not against an omnivorous diet at all, but dang.

Basically, if you eat meat here, you're eating an animal that's lived in its own poo poo, even if that isn't their natural mode of being.

Uh.

Weird diet things... uh... I have a habit of eating umeboshi straight, and when I had access to cheap tobiko would just eat it with a spoon like a freaky lil gremlin. I guess I just like condiments?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Crops are covered in poo poo and then they absorb poo poo through their roots like gross little perverts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
But yes, factory farming is abhorrent.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't eat mushrooms because I break out in hives when I do.

Understandable of course. The person I'm talking about has no allergies or otherwise negative physiological reactions to the food he refuses to eat.

Klyith posted:

Had a friend who had the same thing plus pigs. Because crustaceans eat poo poo, mushrooms grow in poo poo, and pigs live in poo poo.

But my friend was culturally jewish & religiously 100% atheist, so was obviously just finding some rationalizations to keep doing the dietary rules he'd been raised with. Shrimp bad, pigs bad, therefore mushrooms also bad because they fit a pattern.

I tactfully didn't mention that if you grow up in a rural farming area like I did, you know that everything else you eat gets a nice big helping of poo poo at some point. Cows are just as filthy as pigs. And you know it's spring when the whole town smells like poo poo because the manure spreading is happening. Every plant you eat was planted in a bed of poo poo.

Plus he wasn't hysterical or psych himself into being sick, so I didn't give him poo poo about it.

So, I've poked him on this topic a few times. I don't get the impression that there's any sort of cultural factor in play here. He's 2nd gen Taiwanese American, and I have other Taiwanese friends who don't express this sort of food aversion at all. In fact, they give him poo poo for it. There's no sort of rationalization on his part that gets applied to how the animals in question feed or dwell. He's just weirded out by mushrooms and bugs. :shrug:

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 28, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i used to say the same thing about crusteceans, but then my friend was like "bugs have goo inside, shrimp and crabs are made of meat. they're not bugs at all" and obviously we were extremely high but my whole attitude changed right there

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm judging you as well you herege.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

I'm judging you as well you herege.

:negative:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i used to say the same thing about crusteceans, but then my friend was like "bugs have goo inside, shrimp and crabs are made of meat. they're not bugs at all" and obviously we were extremely high but my whole attitude changed right there

I've actually tried telling him this. He's not a stupid man but his phobia is clearly beyond reason and seems to be focused on their exoskeleton. I've asked him about various animals and he just seems to despise all arthropods. Maybe there's a word for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

There is an older woman in my family, 65-ish, who has horrible eating habits and it stresses everyone out.

She will get hooked onto the idea of one food like lamb chops and eggs and just eat that only for months at a time.

Right now its Maltesers (malted milk balls).

She's often in a bad mood and has terrible health and often tries to remedy this with various food fads like mangosteen, camel milk, collagen powders, bone broth, etc. She's a snake oil salesman's dream.

She doesn't drink water. Mostly lipton sugarless flavored ice tea and non-sugarless orange soda. Chips.

Forget bringing her to a restaurant. Any sort of garnish gets pushed aside and she makes "eew! eew! shrieking noises" and pulls faces. I grew up being taught table manners and getting a jab in the ribs from grandma if I pulled faces at restaurants and its kind of embarrassing for everyone to have this adult woman in her 60s shaking her head at a sprig of cilantro.