Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Welp I didn't think those maniacs at Warner Bros could do it, but it appears that they managed to make a sequel to a relatively large and successful movie intellectual property colloquially known as The Matrix.

Having seen it this morning, I would rate it as 'pretty good'. There's certainly more Matrix, and more Keanu, and more kung-fu. It seems like its more of an open-ended story than the original Matrix, so I would potentially expect a Matrix 5 rezestification

Keanu punches Neal Patrick Harris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

The matrix is back and only neo can stop him

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
John Matrix said “he’ll be back” and by golly he was right!

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
The Gaytrix

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Is Hugo weaving seriously not in this? Count me out tbh

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Operator, please suck me out of this convincing cityscape back into the robot necropolis. Thanks, have a good one.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Is Hugo weaving seriously not in this? Count me out tbh

no Hugo Weaving nor Lawrence Fishburne, although they have a literal Lawrence standin.

With the money flying around for these sorts of things, I'm really surprised they couldnt get them both back

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
What if we’re in the matrix right now?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
why would my nuts itch and my glasses be smudged in the matrix. it makes no sense

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Movie about old crackers abandoning their brain meds to pretend to do kungfu, somehow the premise is even worse than the original

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

runnypoops posted:

holy poo poo

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Ive always said someone should make a sequel to the Matrix

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought it was a pretty fun movie. It wasn't as stylish visually as the others but it was enjoyable and the overall story was actually interesting to watch.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

still can't get over they straight up named a character bugs

as in bugs bunny

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

I thought it was a pretty fun movie. It wasn't as stylish visually as the others but it was enjoyable and the overall story was actually interesting to watch.

I expected literally nothing, and ended up liking it. I would 100% watch another Matrix movie in the new Matrix series about The Matrix

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

are the original sisters still involved? or did they let someone else take over?

[edit] looks like only Lana Wachowski is involved but the reviews are better than the second and destroy the third.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 23, 2021

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I thought Neo and Trinity died in 3 is there a good explanation for why they’re alive again or is it just hand waved because there was some money to make?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Wendigee posted:

but the reviews are better than the second and destroy the third.

hallelujah lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Chrs posted:

I thought Neo and Trinity died in 3 is there a good explanation for why they’re alive again or is it just hand waved because there was some money to make?

They explain it but the real answer is because they needed them to be alive for the sequel to exist.

Also lmao Keanu is a terrible actor. But he's likeable and cool looking so it doesn't really matter at all. He says so many lines in an insanely weird way, with cadence that nobody would ever use.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

They explain it but the real answer is because they needed them to be alive for the sequel to exist.

Also lmao Keanu is a terrible actor. But he's likeable and cool looking so it doesn't really matter at all. He says so many lines in an insanely weird way, with cadence that nobody would ever use.

Keanu can be an OK actor but if you want to see his, and everyone else's absolutely worst acting job, watch Johnny Mnemonic. Well, ICE-T did OK. Maybe the dolphin, too.

Also they predicted what the internet would look like in 2021!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

runnypoops posted:

I am willing to accept that I might be in a fake reality, but the whole "machines use us for living batteries" idea just doesn't work. So the fake reality I am trapped in is definitely not "The Matrix".

That always bugged me about this setting. It's fine for just the first movie. It doesn't matter. He knows Kung Fu. There's guns. But the more in-depth you go and the more you build on it, the more the original premise cracks under the strain. The Matrix would, 100%, be a net loss on raw energy generation. There's no way around that, no matter how much technobabble you throw in.

There are so many other reasons why people might be trapped in a realistic simulation (either against their will, or maybe even originally with their full cooperation) and they picked one that makes no sense.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Neo is BACK
Trinity is BACK

and this movie is DEUCE in the middle lmao

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I am willing to accept that I might be in a fake reality, but the whole "machines use us for living batteries" idea just doesn't work. So the fake reality I am trapped in is definitely not "The Matrix".

That always bugged me about this setting. It's fine for just the first movie. It doesn't matter. He knows Kung Fu. There's guns. But the more in-depth you go and the more you build on it, the more the original premise cracks under the strain. The Matrix would, 100%, be a net loss on raw energy generation. There's no way around that, no matter how much technobabble you throw in.

There are so many other reasons why people might be trapped in a realistic simulation (either against their will, or maybe even originally with their full cooperation) and they picked one that makes no sense.

Although many machines essentially have consciousness, most do not have free will. That means there's probably not also a free-flow of information. Your typical robo-spider-womb-checker probably has no idea that the battery angle is just some bullshit some higher-up made to justify humanity's continued existence.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
I read all the critics reviews on rotten tomatoes. it's usually a good sign when none can't come up with a solid cutting dis. they're all confused how to criticize it. which means it's a "anomalous" success. no 2 criticisms are the same. I always look for a common thread and nobody knows the angle to attack it

fcc compliant bob fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 23, 2021

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

i watched it today and there wasn't enough kung fu

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
It was weird that they brought back Joey Pants only to have him silently eat steak for literally five minutes where we could have had more motorcycles and helicopters. They should have cast a younger guy to be Cipher Jr.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
im gaytrix

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I had a birthday a while ago and someone gave me a gift card to the movies which I thought was a weird thing to get during plague times. Anyway might go see this sometime soon. Or maybe kings man idk I'll keep this thread posted

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they don't have cypher. cypher was the secret ingredient that held it all together.

they don't even have tank.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
watching it just made me think how much better the first movie was because Elrond was such a great bad guy

this movie has no bad guy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The bad guy is the audience for helping this movie get made

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Although many machines essentially have consciousness, most do not have free will. That means there's probably not also a free-flow of information. Your typical robo-spider-womb-checker probably has no idea that the battery angle is just some bullshit some higher-up made to justify humanity's continued existence.

Some sort of hard-coded Asimov-style "though they've figured out a way to kill individual humans in the name of self-preservation and the bigger picture, they have to ensure humanity's survival and even a certain level of comfort and happiness, even if they do not really want to" thing would've made much more sense.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I don't know which Wachowski was responsible for the helicopter ending from Sense8 but basically there are way too many got drat helicopters in this movie. Like there's an Agent Smith but the real Agent Smith is all the helicopters they shoved into Act 3

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Colonel Cancer posted:

The bad guy is the audience for helping this movie get made

i change my vote - the bad guy is whoever OK'd the ROTM cover for the credits, poo poo is weak

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
kinda lost interest after 15 minutes and the three year old made us put on godzilla vs mothra

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

21 years later: Horde mode

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i threw up when neo said "i still know kung fu."

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Highlights: "I still know line delivery"
Dr. Horrible
You can fly, you can fly, you can fly
Tower Heist

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

That's just how he talks in real life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’m just so tired of all these Matrices