Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Hear so much about this topic on the internet all the time. Some saying that they paid their student loan debt why should others get a free ride. Some saying that forgiving this debt will make tax payers pay for it. Some saying that the interest rate in these debts is incredible so that you pay back double what you borrowed. Some saying forgiving this debt will help the economy. Any thoughts on this topic? Should there be talk about forgiving these loans? What about those in college right this minute? Future college students?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Money is fake

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If a bunch of millennials and gen z shitheads all of a sudden have their college debt paid off, they will have a lot more money to spend and inflate the economy! Got to inflate the poo poo out of the dollar!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I finally paid off my student loans last week. If this week they forgive all student debt, no takesies backsies if you already paid, then... good.
Nobody should be in debt tens of thousands of dollars for college. I'll be fine and I want other people to be fine too.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Money is fake

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Let’s double it just to see what happens

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Money is fake

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Put all debt holders in prison and make them work for free, that's the Merican way

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's cool and good to be tens of thousands in debt for the privelege of writing notes off board for several hours a week.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

trying to get my hands on some of this student debt before its gone

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

don’t listen to them OP. Everyone who paid off their student loans would have loved for them to be ‘forgiven’, and the only morally correct response is to absolve the loans. Anyone who is arguing otherwise is outing them self as a ghoulish vampire to be reviled, NOT the sexy kind (also a trick). Simply thank them for revealing themselves and never be fooled again.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm cool with debt forgiveness only if we transfer it to all the people who took video game courses.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I will take on all the debt of the world

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

hell astro course posted:

don’t listen to them OP. Everyone who paid off their student loans would have loved for them to be ‘forgiven’, and the only morally correct response is to absolve the loans. Anyone who is arguing otherwise is outing them self as a ghoulish vampire to be reviled, NOT the sexy kind (also a trick). Simply thank them for revealing themselves and never be fooled again.

Ah yes morally correct ideas form the basis of all US government decisions.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ah yes morally correct ideas form the basis of all US government decisions.

it should be and you should accept nothing less

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Free post-secondary education for all those who crap at work.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

hell astro course posted:

it should be and you should accept nothing less

Lol why don't you go vote about it

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lol why don't you go vote about it

this is the exact kind of moron to avoid OP.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I put off a lot of major life milestones to pay off my student loans and my wife did the same.

We're not loving ghouls, though, so my take is "nobody should have to go through what we did" not "gently caress you for daring to hope for a better world than the one i suffered through".

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Student loan repayment is effectively a federal tax. Someone making $40,000, with a monthly student loan payment of $400 is paying a higher effective tax rate (23.5%) than someone making $220,000 (23.3%).

Federal student lending just raised the tax burden on younger people so the rich could avoid getting taxed, and the legislation effectively wrote blank checks to colleges, leading to hyperinflated tuitions. If the legislation had capped what they were willing to lend, or only lend to universities that were forced to increase tuition at the same rate as inflation this would all be less of a mess.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Cs degree? I forgive you.
Engineering? U r forgiven.
English? We need time to work through some things. Forgiveness is earned not given.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hahaha underwater basket weaving am I right fellas?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I'm all for forgiving existing loans.

Nobody talks about what comes next though. Like unless we turn all loans into grants or just make college free (both good) we're just gonna have more student debt pile up again.

(also I paid off my own loans long ago)

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

make seeking a higher education a felony.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Only pay off loans used for STEM degrees.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Haha man but a billionaire's son might get free money and we can't have them abusing the system like that.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

also take all the money and cast it out to sea.

but start with debt forgiveness

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Sophy Wackles posted:

Engineers are among the dumbest overall people in the country, sometimes dangerously stupid to the point that they should be isolated from the rest of society, not rewarded. I should know, I am one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Student loans, I forgive you.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sophy Wackles posted:

It feels like the people who are complaining the loudest about the need for their student loans to be cancelled were also the same people who, while still in school, wrote self-righteous essays about how their liberal arts degree was just as valuable as a STEM degree.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

killer crane posted:

Student loan repayment is effectively a federal tax. Someone making $40,000, with a monthly student loan payment of $400 is paying a higher effective tax rate (23.5%) than someone making $220,000 (23.3%).

Federal student lending just raised the tax burden on younger people so the rich could avoid getting taxed, and the legislation effectively wrote blank checks to colleges, leading to hyperinflated tuitions. If the legislation had capped what they were willing to lend, or only lend to universities that were forced to increase tuition at the same rate as inflation this would all be less of a mess.

Isn’t the fed tax rate for an income of 220k 35%?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Never forgive, never forget. Have we already forgotten?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Haha man but a billionaire's son poor black person might get free money and we can't have them abusing the system like that.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
with the mere stroke of a pen i was able to completely cancel the Enterprise provided rental car coverage, at my own personal liability of course

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

LuckyCat posted:

Isn’t the fed tax rate for an income of 220k 35%?

the tax rate on income between $164,926 and $220,000 is 35%, but all that income beneath that is taxed at lower and lower rates, since the US has a progressive tax system. I'm pointing to their effective tax, or what percentage of their total income is being taxed.

In other words, someone making $220,000 pays the same tax amount on their first $40,000 so someone making only $40,000, but student loan dept means that person making $40,000 has an increased tax burden.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i want everyone itt to know i forgive them for having student loans

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

killer crane posted:

the tax rate on income between $164,926 and $220,000 is 35%, but all that income beneath that is taxed at lower and lower rates, since the US has a progressive tax system. I'm pointing to their effective tax, or what percentage of their total income is being taxed.

In other words, someone making $220,000 pays the same tax amount on their first $40,000 so someone making only $40,000, but student loan dept means that person making $40,000 has an increased tax burden.

Okay, but that doesn't avoid the main problem: Your premise that student loan payments are taxes is outright farcical.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, but that doesn't avoid the main problem: Your premise that student loan payments are taxes is outright farcical.

Your payment goes to the US Treasury, it's not differentiated between the government's tax revenue. The federal student loan monopoly was created to offset the cost for the ACA, and has just kept on trucking. It's a tax.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

On the one hand the government should not be bailing people out for their bad decisions. On the other hand the government has repeatedly bailed business out for their bad decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

we get boat we get go posted:

On the one hand the government should not be bailing people out for their bad decisions. On the other hand the government has repeatedly bailed business out for their bad decisions.

government funds bad decisions all the time its call defense research contracts