Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
The big bang created it. What was and still is around it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Your fat mother.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

Your fat mother.

yeah, she was once

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I heard it's just ever expanding and will never stop and that is too scary to think about so I just stopped.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Treecko posted:

I heard it's just ever expanding and will never stop and that is too scary to think about so I just stopped.

I didn't. I would like to know what is on the other side

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwwIFcdUFrE

i like the PBS Space Time videos, he has more about this subject. It's a good question to ask yourself, OP. And a good one to ask often.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The big bang created it. What was and still is around it?

Malformed question

How much does a circle weigh?

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Treecko posted:

If it helps you've got like at least 3 times the time between you and the dinosaurs than you and the end of the universe. Literally everyone, everything, and everything after that could ever possibly know about you and your everything will be long dead and gone before the universe ends.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The big bang was just all the stuff moving outward from a single point
The outside is all still just space, forever and ever
I guess, I'm not an astrophysicist or ever even read a book about it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Basically, space is part of the universe so there is no "there" anyplace else

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
More universe

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's a dude circling around in a car and he;s giving you the finger, OP.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
there is no other side, there is no 'outside' of the universe

you also can't really say the big bang created the universe. we can say that when we rewind time it seems there was a moment of infinite density that expanded into what we have now, but that's different than saying the big bang created the universe

IMO concepts of space and time only exist as part of whatever this universe is. if there is a larger context in which this universe arose from or within, that context does not necessarily have the same structures of space and time so it doesn't make sense to talk about 'before' the universe. everything we perceive and think and know is just a result of our nearly infinitely limited perceptions of this nearly infinitely small piece of this universe which in and of itself, from a different perspective, might seem like just an infinitesimal blip in some much more vast system

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

Basically, space is part of the universe so there is no "there" anyplace else

it stared somewhere therefor it must end somewhere. what is on the other side?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's nothing. We're expanding into nothing. It's undefinable space tbh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the center of the big bang is every point in space

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It's nothing. We're expanding into nothing. It's undefinable space tbh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

the center of the big bang is every point in space

i am pretty sure we know for a fact that isn't true

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
incorrect!

i won't link the PBS Spacetime video as i'm sure you can find it yourself given how curious you are but it's a pretty simple deduction

keep in mind when we look into the universe with telescopes and stuff and see stars from near the beginning of the universe, what we're seeing is just the old photons that took that long to reach us, it's not that things are actually older the further from earth they are

Mozi fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 10, 2022

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

XeeD posted:

If it helps you've got like at least 3 times the time between you and the dinosaurs than you and the end of the universe. Literally everyone, everything, and everything after that could ever possibly know about you and your everything will be long dead and gone before the universe ends.

You mean like 3 bajillion times?

I like this video a lot, he's real good at making music 🎶

https://youtu.be/uD4izuDMUQA

Really good to smoke weed to, too

https://youtu.be/TBikbn5XJhg

:350:

Truly awe inspiring to think about, weed jokes aside.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

XeeD posted:

Yeah that's why I stopped worrying about it just focus on the here and now.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Eventually after all life dies out, the universe will cease accelerating outwards, at which point gravity will begin drawing everything back into a single point. Then the energy stored in that point will once again explode everything outward.

Keep in mind I haven't read a single book or nary a Wikipedia article on this poo poo, though

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0

an apple

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i like penrose's idea of the aeons where the infinite future with nothing but photons (and therefore no way to measure time) is mathematically equivalent to the singularity at the start of a new universe. but that's just a philosophical attraction, no idea if it is correct or not

related cool thought - for a photon, no time passes between its emission and absorption, no matter the distance between. so for photon emitted at the big bang that never hits anything, infinite time passes instantaneously

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001

Laopooh posted:

You mean like 3 bajillion times?

Like I said, at least three times. Hell, you're probably three times closer to a living T Rex than a T Rex was to a living Stegosaur. Time is super hosed up like that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't care.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Other universes, op.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Smugworth posted:

Eventually after all life dies out, the universe will cease accelerating outwards, at which point gravity will begin drawing everything back into a single point. Then the energy stored in that point will once again explode everything outward.

Keep in mind I haven't read a single book or nary a Wikipedia article on this poo poo, though

This reminds me that recent equations and estimates state that the expansion of the universe started to speed up relatively shortly after the first primitive lifeforms on Earth evolved eyes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The thing that bugs me about the Big Bang is why there was anything to begin with

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also there’s nothing “outside” the universe. There’s just empty space until something fills it.

The question still remains as to why there’s even empty space.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Your fat mother.

Literally came here to post a variation on this, f u

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

me neither Vincent. It's jut fun to think about.

Peggy Edson posted:

Other universes, op.

Maybe. That would be cool

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Also there’s nothing “outside” the universe. There’s just empty space until something fills it.

The question still remains as to why there’s even empty space.

There's not even empty space. There's literally nothing until actual empty space fills it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

This reminds me that recent equations and estimates state that the expansion of the universe started to speed up relatively shortly after the first primitive lifeforms on Earth evolved eyes.

The guy who wrote I, Robot wrote a pretty good story about this

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jesus

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

XeeD posted:

There's not even empty space. There's literally nothing until actual empty space fills it.

that's not true at all. Dark space fills most of the universe, and we have very little understanding about it

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Smugworth posted:

I just read a wikipedia article about the big crunch
They said it was disproven because everything is accelerating away
But that's because we're in the crunch phase slowly making our way to the single point, I think

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
so one thing is some people talk about the multiverse but it's sort of a mistake to think of that as other universes outside of our own

there's the big bang, which we know as the point of infinite density which expanded into the universe we know today. but that single point may not have been the whole shebang, as it were. there may have been a larger thing that had many such areas of expansion

but you can think of those universes as more unreachably distant than somehow fundamentally separate or 'outside' of ours imo

(i am not an expert)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

I like him