Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Completely Blind
Complete blindness (occasionally dubbed NLP, or “no light perception”) is incredibly rare. This happens when the connection between the eyes and brain is completely cut off. Either there is brain damage, the optic nerve has been severed, or the eyes have been removed. This doesn’t mean that people in these cases see black. They see nothing.

From a Reddit AMA from someone who was born blind and underwent surgery:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this mindfuck of a concept of seeing "nothing", I always figured that it was just pure black, but apparently it isn't??? What the gently caress???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They see the truth and also honest greeks

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Justice

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Its hard to fathom this because your little primate brain is so used to seeing what we are all able to see for years and years. Our brains control this for specific reasons to learn and move forward and whatnot.

Asking a bling person to "See" something we are explaining to them is the same way we try to comprehend us "Seeing" what a blind person sees.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Think of a sense that you don't have, OP. It's like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Turn off your monitor, OP.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When I was in elementary school we had a blind person give a presentation and answer all our dumb kid questions. Her answer to that one blew my mind: it's not what you see when you close your eyes, it's what you see out of your kneecap

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

When I was in elementary school we had a blind person give a presentation and answer all our dumb kid questions. Her answer to that one blew my mind: it's not what you see when you close your eyes, it's what you see out of your kneecap

that helps me imagine it better.

i can see how your hearing would get better in that scenario because you simply don't have as much info coming in. although now i'm wondering if that is a myth.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I always heard it as "what you see out of the back of your head" but yeah it's just nothing. It's the picture showing on a tv screen when it's turned off.

roomtone posted:

i can see how your hearing would get better in that scenario because you simply don't have as much info coming in. although now i'm wondering if that is a myth.

It's totally real and that's pretty much exactly the reason why, more of the brain's computing power can go into processing auditory input, and in computer terms the "core" of the processor that usually does visual tracking switches to auditory tracking instead
https://www.washington.edu/news/201...20Chang%20said.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 7, 2022

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

it’s probably like being dead but your brain still works

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

they see your good posts op

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

This still fucks my brain so hard. I wonder what it's like, I really can't imagine it even with such a clear explanation. It's so strange. It's similar to trying to explain colors.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah this is like trying to picture a new color, you can't its impossible. I never really though about it before though

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Big Scary Owl posted:

This still fucks my brain so hard. I wonder what it's like, I really can't imagine it even with such a clear explanation. It's so strange. It's similar to trying to explain colors.

Look up synesthesia.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7_WyB-GMnk

Kyle hill did a pretty neat video on super black materials. its like looking into the void.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

You should try kissing your own elbow.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

roomtone posted:

I don't think it is. Have you heard the story of Ben Underwood? The boy who lost his eyes at a young age and used echolocation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeFRkAYb1uk

Sadly, Ben died recently.

Also, my mother is albino. This also causes her eyesight to be so bad that she is legally blind. She could hear a pin drop at a The Who concert.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

To be blind is to see only divine truth

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

just imagine if someone asked you what its like to not be able to smell out pheromones.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

just imagine if someone asked you what its like to not be able to smell out pheromones.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

C-C-C-COMBO x3

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
the beatific vision

true salvation is staring at a solar eclipse

trumbo knows

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this mindfuck of a concept of seeing "nothing", I always figured that it was just pure black, but apparently it isn't??? What the gently caress???

Black is a color, to denote the information of absence of light. It's pretty easy to imagine the concept of seeing nothing, just pay attention at your own field of view with your eyes closed - there's a part where it goes from black to nothing. You can't see anything in the back of your head. It is even more hosed up because you don't even have a sharp distinction between information and no information, we progressively get less information density the further away from the center so you have a weird transition between black and "nothing".

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I sort of wonder if at some point the brain just turns off the concept of vision which is where the disconnect of this question comes from. Like you or I are trying to picture it as being in a completely lightless room but that's because we're used to vision and are trying to see even if we can't, gotta imagine a blind person's brain doesn't keep trying to see and focuses on other stimuli.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have a fun neurological disorder that when my brain gets overwhelmed it shuts down that processing part because it can't handle it. I mostly get it with auditory processing but sometimes visual (rarely).

It's a thing where if there's a tonne of sustained loud noise or light and especially if they're conflicting sources my brain sorts of breaks down and just gives up. And I just go deaf temporarily. I've only lost vision once when there was a poo poo tonne of strobe lights in different colours around at a show.

It's loving hard to describe. Silence is not the same as no sound. Walking down a silent street is fine and even relaxing. Walking down the road to get a soft drink at night goes from mundane to terrifying when you can't actually perceive sound. A group of dudes just laughing and having fun is normally whatever, but I can't hear so I don't know what they're saying, if they're laughing or screaming. I can't hear if someone is right behind me or next to me. Suddenly a key thing I rely on is just gone for a while.

The one time I went blind was the same. It's not silence, and it's not black. It's just absence. My experience is not the same as the one in OP tho, since mine is simply my brain refusing to process those signals. But poo poo it hosed up.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
A bright future as a religious text memorizer

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they are lying to us. they know we are not ready to experience what they have seen. they may be sightless, but it is we who are truly blind.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

I don't know, but I hear it is as dark as the inside of a Nazi's rectum.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Get really high sometime and keep your eyes shut for like 30 minutes or so, eventually you'll start feeling your other senses getting better.

You'll start sensing stuff like sound bouncing off of walls letting you know how far away they are without looking. Also when you touch things, your "memory" of when it felt like sticks around longer almost letting you map things by touch.

I imagine being blind is like that, but even better.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I often wonder if my deaf dog hears something like the tinnitus I have. It’s not real it’s a sound being generated by my brain. Gotta wonder.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Elentor posted:

Black is a color, to denote the information of absence of light. It's pretty easy to imagine the concept of seeing nothing, just pay attention at your own field of view with your eyes closed - there's a part where it goes from black to nothing. You can't see anything in the back of your head. It is even more hosed up because you don't even have a sharp distinction between information and no information, we progressively get less information density the further away from the center so you have a weird transition between black and "nothing".

im making myself really uncomfortable with my eyes closed trying to see the part of stuff i cant see, makes my stomache a little queesy to keep trying. i think i can almost see it but i cant tell what it looks like kind of like in between black and white but not any kind of grey or staticy lines that hurt

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

im making myself really uncomfortable with my eyes closed trying to see the part of stuff i cant see, makes my stomache a little queesy to keep trying. i think i can almost see it but i cant tell what it looks like kind of like in between black and white but not any kind of grey or staticy lines that hurt

Do not look into the face of god!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

also honest greeks

lol

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
If I was blind I'd just eat acid all the time. If I wasn't blind I'd also eat acid all the time

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm lost.

Dial911
Mar 18, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LORD AND SAVIOR!!!

Big Scary Owl posted:

I don't know why but this absolutely terrifies me to the core of my being, like I'm physically uncomfortable. If this happened to me I couldn't kill myself fast enough.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dial911 posted:

I don't know why but this absolutely terrifies me to the core of my being, like I'm physically uncomfortable. If this happened to me I couldn't kill myself fast enough.

I feel like that's pretty normal... We rely on sight so much it would be crippling for most people to lose it.

But I don't think I'd off myself just like that.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You shouldn't either. No one should.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dial911 posted:

imagine the time before your were born. its that

life is just a quick fever dream =]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Chinatown posted:

imagine the time before your were born. its that

life is just a quick fever dream =]

word