Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Welcome to Stellaris 2!

This is a semi-open role madness game for 17 players, based on the popular genocide simulator of the same name.

The setup for this game is fairly complicated and will be explained more in the second post, don’t worry if you don’t totally understand as I am open to answering questions.

This game does not involve alignment changes but may involve some weird poo poo happening, please do not sign up if you are not okay with that!

Game days will be 48-72 hours, nights will be up to 24 hours. Deadlines after Day 1 will be set based on the previous hammer, early hammers are encouraged!

A discord server is setup to manage all the behind the scenes bits and pieces/OTT activity: https://discord.gg/HvYmyrKEn9

Standard mafia rules apply:

- Don’t be an rear end in a top hat.
- Do not edit your posts.
- Do not post about game business after the hammer, if it looks like I’m not going to be around when it drops feel free to remind other posters. This includes if auto-hammer does not fire for whatever reason.
- Lurker rules are as follows; you will receive one warning if you have less than 10 posts at end of day. You will then be modkilled if you fall below this a second time. This limit will be lowered to 5 posts if the day ends 12-24 hours before deadline and removed if it ends >24 hours before deadline.
- Do not directly quote role pm’s or other mod correspondence in thread or in any OOT channels unless given specific permission from a mod.
- Please do not post if you are dead.
- Please do not post if you have been targeted by any day actions until they have been resolved.
- Do not fake day actions.
- No replacements after D2.
- Flavour may or may not mean anything, alignments have been assigned randomly and/or anti-town players have been provided with fakeclaims.

Eliminations will be by majority vote, to vote for a player please use the format ##vote playername and ##unvote to unvote.
All commands must be placed within bold format brackets to be picked up by votefinder (e.g [ b ] ##vote ObamaAkbar. [ /b ], without the spaces).

All night actions will receive one of the following results regardless of their effect:

Your action was successful = Your action has successfully resolved.

Your action failed = Your action was blocked in some way and has not resolved.

Your action was partially successful = For actions with multiple effects. Some of the effects of you action successfully resolved, others were blocked in some way.

If an action is single use then it will only be depleted when that action successfully resolves. Killing actions that hit a protected player for example count as resolved actions and will be expended.

Actions that give you information will return results in the following rough format:

Your target visited PLAYERNAME.

:siren:You will not be informed if your action was redirected or interfered with in some other way. Rely solely on night action results at your own peril!:siren:

Players:
  1. b-minus1
  2. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  3. Green Wing
  4. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  5. hambeet (he/him)
  6. Hyper Crab Tank
  7. Idle Amalgam
  8. Illusionis
  9. Maerlyn (she/her)
  10. My Second Re-Reg
  11. saladscooper
  12. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  13. shwinnebego (he/him)
  14. SporkChan
  15. Tired Moritz
  16. wologar
  17. Yami Fenrir

Graveyard of Empires:

Day 1
Day 1 begins!
Sandwolf, Lolehndra Syndicate (Town-aligned), was destroyed Day 1.

Night 1
Maerlyn, United Domanna Republic (Town-aligned) and,
hambeet, Vetirisius Consciousness (Town-aligned) were destroyed Night 1.

Day 2
schwinnebego, Hiffnar Citizen Commonwealth (Town-aligned) was destroyed Day 2.

Night 2
wologar, Interstellar Mollarnock Hegemony (Town-aligned) and
Hal Insandenza, High Kingdom of Thrish (Town-aligned) were destroyed Night 2.

ObamaAkbar. fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Abilities in this game will be dictated by 2 main mechanics, empire ethics and empire personality.

Empire ethics are a representation of the mainstream ideologies within your empire, they effect how it is governed and influence the attitudes of its citizenry.

Each empire has 3 ethics points that must be invested at all times. Ethics grant you various limited use abilities and other boons as shown in the table below:

Essentially you can hold either 3 regular ethics or 1 regular and 1 fanatic ethic.

Ability limits are PER GAME, i.e. you cannot simply switch back and forth to gain extra charges. Abilities are also not retained if you lose an ethic (see below).

Each player will have set starting ethics but can choose to shift them at night. Shifting ethics is a free action but cannot be done two nights in a row. As an action it is unblock-able and does not register as a self-visit. Ethic shifts resolve after all other actions, with the exception of actions which force ethic shifts on other players and ethic cop.

Ethic shifting does however follow some rules. You can not hold the fanatic version of an ethic alongside the regular version as fanatic supersedes it. Most ethics also have rival ethics that cannot be held simultaneously. These are as follows:

Militarist <—-> Pacifist
Xenophobe <—-> Xenophile
Egalitarian <—-> Authoritarian
Spiritualist <—-> Materialist

Shifting towards another ethic will cause the loss or downgrade of one of your existing ethics, these mechanics are explained further below:

Shifting from 3 regular ethics

Scenario 1 - Shifting towards one of your current ethics. This ethic will be upgraded to the fanatic variant and you will lose one of your other regular ethics. Ethic lost will be decided by RNG unless one is linked to your personality, in which case that one will retained if possible.
e.g materialist, pacifist, authoritarian —> shift materialist —> fanatic materialist, authoritarian

Scenario 2 - Shifting towards an ethic rivalling one of your current ethics. The new ethic will simply replace the rival one.
e.g materialist, pacifist, authoritarian —> shift militarist —> materialist, militarist, authoritarian

Scenario 3 - Shifting towards an ethic not rivalling any of your current ethics. The new ethic will be adopted and will replace an existing ethic. Ethic lost will be decided by RNG unless any are linked to your personality, in which case they will retained if possible.
e.g materialist, pacifist, authoritarian —> shift xenophobe —> materialist, xenophobe, authoritarian

Shifting from 1 fanatic and 1 regular ethic

Scenario 1 - Shifting towards your non fanatic ethic. You regular ethic becomes fanatic and your original fanatic ethic is downgraded to the regular variant.
e.g fanatic materialist, pacifist —> shift pacifist —> materialist, fanatic pacifist

Scenario 2 - Shifting towards an ethic rivalling one of your current ethics. Your new ethic will replace the rival one. If the original ethic was fanatic then your second original ethic gets a free upgrade to fanatic.
e.g fanatic materialist, pacifist —> shift spiritualist —> spiritualist, fanatic pacifist

Scenario 3 - Shifting towards an ethic not rivalling any of your current ethics. The new ethic will be adopted and your fanatic ethic will be downgraded to the regular variant.
e.g fanatic materialist, pacifist —> shift egalitarian—> materialist, pacifist, egalitarian

:siren:If you have trouble understanding this please feel free to ask me what the effect of a shift will be before locking it in.:siren:

Personalities are traits that determine how your empire interacts with others. Each player will start with a personality that is linked to two ethics. Losing either of these ethics will cause your personality to become inactive, losing you the extra boon it grants. Essentially it works as an incentive to not shift ethics immediately once your current abilities are used up.

If you need clarification on how ethic abilities work please consult the following list:

Bulletproof (BP) - Block one killing action per charge. Includes any actions that are delayed/ take place during the day or are triggered by visits.

Juggernaut (Jug) - A killing action that is unblockable. Blows through random redirects, roleblocks and all forms of protection. Can still be redirected by bus driver or hide.

Hide - Chose another player to hide behind, all actions targeted at you hit them instead.

Random Redirect - An activated ability which causes all actions targeted at you to be redirected to another random player.

Bus Drive - Allows you to direct all actions targeted at one player onto another and vice versa.

Paranoid Gun Owner (PGO) - An activated ability that attempts to kill all players who visit you. Can be roleblocked. Killing actions will still hit you.

Extra Vote - Allows you to place an extra vote on one player during the day. Use the command ##extra vote in thread to activate. To rescind use the command ##extra unvote, this will not refund the extra vote.

Doctor (Doc) - An action that protects one other player from killing actions directed at them during the night.

Track - Track one player during the night, informing you of all players they visit.

Watch - Watch one player during the night, informing you of all players who visit them.

Ninja - A kill that is not seen by watch or track actions.

Roleblock - Prevents one player from performing night actions.

Jail - Roleblocks one player while also preventing them from being targeted by any actions.

Ethic Cop - Informs you of one player’s current ethics (resolves after any ethic changing actions).

Personality Cop - Informs you roughly what abilities a player’s personality grants. May return deliberately vague results.

Gestalt Consciousness - Certain empires do not have regular ethics and are instead ruled by a collective consciousness, while they don’t have access to normal ethic abilities they have a permanent passive watch on themselves that cannot be redirected or blocked.

ObamaAkbar. fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 24, 2022

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I played in the first one and it was pretty cool!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yeah fine whatever!!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Yes please

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I have been told to play this.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
It’s mind boggling to me that you can’t see starbases on the map, but then again, there’s no way to see all sorts of information on the map. Depending on the zoom level, it is either a star dotted collage of colored blobs or a confetti sprawl of tiny overlapping numbers and icons. Does Paradox think these tiny colored orbs are giving me the information I need when I’m colonizing planets? Am I really supposed to peer into this icon confetti to suss out whether I’ve discovered any precious engos vapor? Yes, that’s a thing. Engos vapor. There are many things like it that you’re supposed to discover and develop, and yet there is no way to find these things short of peering closely into the galactic confetti. But if the price of playing Stellaris is navigating a bad interface, that doesn’t set it apart from lots of games we play anyway. The trick is that we have to want to play the games badly enough to bang our shins against their bad interfaces. Stellaris fails at the crucial task of making me want to play by committing a cardinal sin for any game, regardless of genre, platform, or production values.

It is without personality.

not much to say here, this is like with all the other paradox "grand strategy games"... they add feature after feature after feature make the whole game a total unworking mess. nothing is realy explained, nothing makes realy sense. and even the most simple things are broken, the game is russian roulet at best, either you are lucky and everything works, or nothing works. like my last 4 games that I had to abandon because for whatever f...up reason paradox thinks, that an empire without a system controled, with occupied capital and the players war goals achieved still have some chance to win and drags out the war past the 100% war exhaustion. hm no thanks.
when you like such type of games, go for it, but be ready to be pissed a lot.
when you just like for some 4x game, avoid this one.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The above post is a sign-up.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I’ll play

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I'll play. I had to leave the last game I joined due to real-life emergencies, but am ready to get back to mafia! :)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Spoiled obs because I hate playing two Maf games at once and need a break.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
If you'll have me, I'll play!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I was told this game was cool and good and to sign up for it.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

do i have to actualy learn the rules

or can i just pretend that i'm playing regular mafia

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

shwinnebego posted:

As someone who bounces off a lot of the “mafia + other stuff” games, this is not that, this is regular mafia, the “extra stuff” is basically roles and modifiers. It’s very easy to understand, I personally vouch for it

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

shwinnebego posted:

I played in the first, it was not terribly complicated and a lot of fun so you should play!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Okay I'll play because I like role madness games

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

FINE

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

k im in

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

(i probably won't quickly familiarize myself with the entire setup though, i will vote for who i think is scum and use my night actions to kill bad guys and stuff, u can count on me!)

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

o wait so basically everyone is a JOAT but you can change the specifics of what your JOAT mix is

is that p much the game

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

shwinnebego posted:

o wait so basically everyone is a JOAT but you can change the specifics of what your JOAT mix is

is that p much the game

Essentially

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
this setup sounds fun i'm in

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Just a reminder to join the discord if you wish to play or observe: https://discord.gg/HvYmyrKEn9

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Yeah what the hell I've recharged my mafia hunger. I wish to be a space.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
Suddenly I find I have more time for mafia games! I'm in, but I want to be the psychic death-cult space whales.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Just in case this game starts today - I'm about to be offline until Sunday afternoon, brit time

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
This sounds like a nice and simple set up for my first mafia game in a decade, count me in.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Illusionis posted:

This sounds like a nice and simple set up for my first mafia game in a decade, count me in.

legend

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I think we're full!

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Green Wing posted:

Just in case this game starts today - I'm about to be offline until Sunday afternoon, brit time

Going to wait until Sunday to start this then unless anyone has any objections?

Also still waiting for Hal to join the discord (as usual).

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ObamaAkbar. posted:

:owned:

Also I'm fine with that

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ObamaAkbar. posted:

If you wanted to start it tomorrow I have no issue with that, Day 1 being what it is, but Sunday is fine imo too

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Start asap imo. D1 takes a while to get going anyway

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Okay as a compromise I could also start it tomorrow but will have to suspend lurker rules for green wing

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Okay as a compromise I could also start it tomorrow but will have to suspend lurker rules for green wing

I'm OK with Sunday.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Sunday is fine.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Would prefer an earlier start due to being somewhat busy saturday to sunday next week, but later is fine too, who knows if I'll even be alive by next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’m fine Sunday too