Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The novelisation of the movie Shrek.

A full colour coffee table photo history of formula one motor racing, despite never having watched or expressed an interest in formula one.

Book of creepy true stories that specifically had an illustration of a Madagascan man eating tree (this one owned though, nice work uncle whoever)

John Prebble's trilogy of historical books about the fall of the Scottish clans (still got these somewhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Art of Gormenghast; the Making of a Television Fantasy

A book about a show I have never seen or heard of

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Three copies of The DaVinci Code that one Christmas.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
The novelization of Speed 2: Cruise Control

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

regular mike posted:

The novelization of Speed 2: Cruise Control

lmao hell yeah

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
I wasn't gifted it, but I found at a thrift store the novelization of Face/Off and flipped around and found the scene where Nic Cage squeezes the choir lady's rear end. Very funny stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My aunt almost gifted me a book about how the attack on Pearl Harbor was totally a conspiracy by FDR because he wanted to embroil the US in a war that the US was already quite embroiled in by December 1941. Credit to her, she took me seriously when I explained why it was bunk and I think half the reason she even brought it up was because she wanted an opinion on it from her nephew who was Good At History.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yes, auntie, I liked Thomas the Tank Engine as a child. Please stop buying me any Goddamn book about trains.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
A book about building Lego guns. No Lego to build the guns, just a book of possible builds. Also I hate guns.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

my extremely mormon grandmother gifted me the twilight series, and because she was a passive aggressive psycho i had to pretend to enjoy them :smith:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Dog Tricks. Sorry mum, but yes I know dog tricks are fun and cool, but my dogs are greyhounds. Very very lazy greyhounds. They do not give a gently caress about expending energy on such trivial matters as tricks! :D I can try as hard as I want, but the most I can do is get them to sit/lay down and wait before eating.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'm reasonably certain that for my thirteenth birthday, all my relatives went to the nearest bookstore and said "I need a book for a thirteen year old girl". The results were dire. Most of the books I don't really remember any details of, they all blurred together into an indistuingishable sludge of "Main character is soooooo in love with the popular boy and tries to change herself to get his attention, but he's really a JERK and in the end she realizes this and gets together with her nice best friend who's been in love with her the entire time, hooray!". Honorable mention goes to the book about a guy who was so much in love with his classmate Luisa that he decided to change his name to Luis. It did not get better from there.

Only good book I got that birthday was from a great-aunt, who had very clearly just grabbed something from her own shelves because she'd heard I liked books and gave me "The Secret Garden". While this wasn't a very good book, it was still miles better than the rest of them, and since it was so old it looked kind of cool.

Fortunately my mother agreed with me that those books were horrible trashfires (and probably also felt that the message they were trying to convey was actively harmful), so from then on I mostly only got the books I asked for. There were a few exceptions, like when my mother gave me the first book of a fantasy trilogy (Kai Meyer's Flowing Queen trilogy, not translated into English and it's no loss) and I told her thanks, but the author writes terrible endings and I don't like him. I reminded her of this when she gave me the second book, and when I got the third book a few months later finally got her to admit that she'd liked the books and wanted to know how the story ended. The ending sucked, by the way.

As for a book I almost got because my mother knew I liked fantasy books, it was shortly before Christmas, the presents had already been placed under the tree, and I was chatting with my sister about books. I mentioned how I'd looked into the Artemis Fowl series and found it incredibly stupid. My mother said "I'll be right back", went to the tree, removed a present from it and left the room. Close one.

Most recent book that fulfills those criteria would be "Lessons in Chemistry". I like books, I'm a chemist, the book has received a lot of praise for telling about the struggles of a woman working in chemistry in the sixties. I really can't fault my family for thinking I would enjoy it, but I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters because the writing style is so incredibly terrible.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Oh man, don't diss Artemis Fowl

I mean, the first book. The rest are, well. not good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I had a copy of this, and the phrase "Mazel tov, Mr. Wiggly" remains an intrusive thought to this day.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

death cob for cutie posted:

You are not helping your case.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
RIP to every kid who read the first book in a series, liked it, then found out there are 20 more books in the series and they all stink, but you gotta know what happens

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

death cob for cutie posted:

Yeah the first was a pretty decent YA book. I think I quite liked the first... three? Then after that it seemed like they didn't have much of an overarching story anymore, beyond the author figuring it out as he went along. But yeah, I'd personally recommend giving the first one a shot at least, if you don't hate the genre

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Here In Cold Hell, which seems like part of a fantasy series but I'm not actually sure. I got a couple of ideas from it.

Eion Colfer seems really uneven at the best of times, but kinda trying?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I had a copy of this, and the phrase "Mazel tov, Mr. Wiggly" remains an intrusive thought to this day.
the picture of the "no dogs allowed" sign has a dog in front of it

I do think this is the one (the same relative bought me more than one book of funny signs......rip) that had the sign that said "please replace if moved" which is my intrusive thought.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah the first was a pretty decent YA book. I think I quite liked the first... three? Then after that it seemed like they didn't have much of an overarching story anymore, beyond the author figuring it out as he went along. But yeah, I'd personally recommend giving the first one a shot at least, if you don't hate the genre

The first is pretty good, I actually reread it recently (I reread books when I'm stressed. I'm chewing through the entire Foreigner series right now - about a book every three days. So that's my life right now.) - it's got an interesting modern fantasy theme going on, the final twist is interesting. It's not the most believable or fleshed-out thing but, hey, nobody bats a thousand.

The second book is also pretty decent. Not as good, but you might be hoping it's a dip until the series picks up again.

I'm not even going to look up a plot synopsis to remind myself of the remaining books. They ain't great.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A book on gardening berry bushes. From my dad. Who knows I live in an apartment and don’t have a garden.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’ve got a ton of wonderful, scholarly history books so of course whatever glossy piece of crap is in the front of 5 Below is a great gift.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

klaus schwab's covid-19: the great reset. if anyone ever cared to read it too, it is very boring and vague

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's "The Fly Gods Must Be Crazy Aliens" for me.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just remembered I got given the day my bum went psycho which I think caused some friction with the book banners in America recently. About a kid who's bum detaches itself in the middle of the night and runs off to join a guerrilla movement of sentient bums fighting for bum supremacy. There was a superhero team of bum fighters and one of the big baddies was a giant bum that lived in a swamp and had never been wiped

Even as a kid I remember reading the detailed descriptions of the bums communicating with one another by farting and thinking this authors working through some stuff

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Just remembered I got given the day my bum went psycho which I think caused some friction with the book banners in America recently. About a kid who's bum detaches itself in the middle of the night and runs off to join a guerrilla movement of sentient bums fighting for bum supremacy. There was a superhero team of bum fighters and one of the big baddies was a giant bum that lived in a swamp and had never been wiped

Even as a kid I remember reading the detailed descriptions of the bums communicating with one another by farting and thinking this authors working through some stuff

hahaha yeah I remember that! I never read it, but I was given the sequel (Zombie Bums From Uranus) and read that. An interesting read, that series :D

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Novelization of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Novelization of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

ooooh, me too - that wasn't too bad in the end, from what I can recall. Especially compared to the movie itself :v:

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
I used to read Dean Koontz when I was younger. I eventually outgrew him but for years afterward my mom would get me his books for birthdays or Christmas. I think I have like 4 or 5 of his hardcovers sitting unread on my bookshelf.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My Grandma gave me Dreamcatcher one Christmas.

For the most part my family realized they couldn't keep up with what I was reading (Not volume, just genre), and would give me Barnes & Noble gift cards, though. A few times I'd get a bunch of their old books with the understanding that I'd sell them at Half-Price Books and buy new poo poo for myself.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
An uncle who lived in northern California gave me a guide to identifying redwoods. Twice.

I lived in New York.

Vespertillian
Oct 9, 2012
"Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn From Them"

My grandma swapped it for the book of Nietzsche selections I was reading and I was driven mad looking for it until I found it hidden in her house a year later and she 'fessed up to trading the two while visiting to save my soul.

I was 22 and already had an account here, it was too late

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
My dad bought me a copy of a book called "Medical Mysteries" when I was seven or so, because I loved mystery puzzle books at that point. This was more about how Lyme Disease awas discovered, and the various aftereffects of living on a future Superfund site. I still refuse to walk barefoot on grass basically anywhere as a result.

Ellyndia
Mar 13, 2011

I was born ready.

My brother and I read the poo poo out of this book when we were kids. Got the updated version for my own kid.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Art of Gormenghast; the Making of a Television Fantasy

A book about a show I have never seen or heard of

It's a good show, worth a watch if you're into seeing the decadence of nobility collapsing in on itself.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Harry Potter

I never even read it lmao

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

When I was a kid my parents gave me parody books of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. They didn't really appeal to me at the time - I wasn't a big reader then but I think they got them for me because they knew I liked funnies so in that sense they were oddly thoughtful gifts. I sort of regret not enjoying them more, TBH, though I doubt they hold up with time.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Two collections of Jeremy Clarkson's newspaper columns called things like The World According To Clarkson. To this day I have no idea why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The Guinness Book of World Records, vols 1997-2006