Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Base game Minecraft is a simple game: Kill monsters, find diamonds, then kill a dragon.Turns out Minecraft is highly modable and you can get things from having Greek mythical creatures like cyclopes running around, tameable and rideable dragons, magic systems where you can create spells and giant factories. This thread is to be a megathread of different goons playing the different types of modpacks out there.

How do I modpack?

The easiest way is to use Curseforge and search for modpacks. It'll do all the work of downloading and setting up all the mods for you and will even pull up the proper Minecraft version if a modpack was made for an older version.

:siren: Be sure to go into settings and increase your allocated memory! The default memory is simply not enough for most modpacks. If the game lags or crashes, this is most likely the problem! :siren:

Contributing

Go ahead and post your video. Be sure to use [url = ]your title here [/ url] for the video's title.

Make a post as if you were making your own thread. I will then link to that post here, that way I don't have to keep up on every video getting posted and you can put up more info for your series!

:frogsiren: You can also do a SSLP! Just put your post in the test poster and link to that test post in the thread

The videos

Leal is trying out ALL the mods... in All The Mods 8!

FPzero is raiding vaults in Vault Hunters!

Jossar is advancing through the ages in SevtechAges!

Odd Wilson is minecrafting with a mod that has no name!

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Oh hey, this is a neat thread. I've been needing something to throw myself at for a while to work myself out of a creative rut. It's been a good few years since I touched this game, but it'll be worth a visit for nostalgia's sake. That, and I might have a somewhat unique perspective / set of modpacks to offer.

Would SSLPs be allowed here? I'll probably work in video format anyways, but I thought it necessary to ask. For some reason I'd rather spend 3 hours writing an update over spending 20 minutes on a video some days.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Odd Wilson posted:

Oh hey, this is a neat thread. I've been needing something to throw myself at for a while to work myself out of a creative rut. It's been a good few years since I touched this game, but it'll be worth a visit for nostalgia's sake. That, and I might have a somewhat unique perspective / set of modpacks to offer.

Would SSLPs be allowed here? I'll probably work in video format anyways, but I thought it necessary to ask. For some reason I'd rather spend 3 hours writing an update over spending 20 minutes on a video some days.

I updated the OP, if you want to do an SSLP make your post in the test post and link to that post in the thread

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I imagine it does given the name, but does ATM8 include Botany Pots? Those would be really helpful to get set up early for crop needs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It does! And since last time I played they made them even more powerful, cause they weren't pretty OP already. Instead of needing to put in certain upgrades for the pot, you just combine a hopper with a pot to make one that auto harvests. No need to put in an axe and either replace the axe as it gets damaged or use an allthemodium axe with the infinite durability.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Was considering running a sub-LP, but I think I've got too much on my plate right now and all the mods of the type I wanted to play didn't end up helping. Will be following all of these with interest though!

EDIT: *sigh* - I am nothing if not a font of bad decisions.
EDIT the Second: Eh, might as well make this a real intro post.

I haven't played Minecraft in years, but I keep feeling the urge to play similar games, so upon the brainstorming of this thread I decided I would try and get back into it, while using mods to bring the things I liked from those other games back into Minecraft.

SevTech: Ages is sort of the hybrid between the other two modpacks we've seen so far. It's a more traditional modpack in the sense of it still primarily being about typical Minecraft things rather than Vault Hunters' "set up and dump yourself into the ARPG" model, but it's more heavily focused on trying to curate the experience through the unfolding nature of its Ages compared to ATM's full kitchen sink. Also it's the first one of these that's actively trying to make the player's early game life more difficult by cutting off what you can do until you reach certain tech unlocks. On the whole it's closer to ATM though: certainly a whole bunch of magic starts getting involved really quickly once you stop banging rocks together to produce other rocks.

Be warned that my approach to all survival/factory games pretty much involves taking the messiest "whatever works" method and brute forcing it to success. I think the pack is going to eventually force me to start playing smarter (and I guess that sort of is the goal), but for example: one of the reasons this is a screenshot LP rather than a video LP is that it would be very boring to watch me die 20 times because I decided that I had to complete a certain objective right now, no matter what.

Table of Contents

EDIT the Final: As of Update 18/Age 4, I have concluded that the remaining grind necessary to finish the modpack is too excessive for my ability and time constraints and abandoned the LP. Enjoy what's here, but know that it isn't going all the way to the end.

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 0 - "To unlock Update 1, Please Craft an LP Stump"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 1 - "To cure your LP, First Immerse in Salt"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 2 - "Only through the Power of Darkness will this LP escape the Stone Age"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 3 - "The finest LP, forged of gleaming Bronze"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 4 - "H. LP. Lovecraft"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 5 - "This LP is driving me mad"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 6 - "Aquamarine in the Heavens, Black Quartz in the Earth, and LP in the Balance"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 7 - "LP Is Feudal"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 8 - "BetweenLPands"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 9 - "Forge the One LP, to Bind Them"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 10 - "Starlight CalliLP"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 11 - "LP of the Twilight"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 12 - "Weave an LP Round Him Thrice"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 13 - "LP Engine"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 14 - "HelLPowered"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 15 - "Double your LP efficiency by creating an entirely new set of Infrastructure"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 16 - "Customize your LP with Modular Construction"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 17 - "This is not The End of the LP"
Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 18 - "This is The End of the LP"

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 25, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Minecraft is a game that I have trouble playing on my own. It's fun, but for me every world kind of devolves into an eventual state of "well, what now?" pretty quickly. I love adventuring in games and finding things, but Minecraft isn't very good at that part. They add more and more stuff to the game but the adventuring aspects of vanilla Minecraft are usually a mile wide and an inch deep, and once you've beaten the Ender Dragon once there isn't really much else the game pushes you to do. I've never been much of a builder, nor have I been very good at setting my own goals. I was never the kid who, when faced with a box of Legos, created big things from my imagination. I always preferred to follow the instructions and build a cool thing. This means that unless I'm playing with friends, vanilla Minecraft just doesn't hold my interest like it used to. That's where modded Minecraft helps me so much, as many modpacks these days come with quest books containing a series of goals or a linear progression through their contents, or just change the game so much that it basically becomes something new entirely. The latter is where we're headed today.

Vault Hunters: 3rd Edition is a modpack for Minecraft that functionally turns the game into an ARPG. While building and crafting are still a major part of the game, the focus has been shifted onto adventuring into randomly generated dungeons, completing main objectives for experience, looting all kinds of unique materials, weapons and armor, modifying gear to be stronger, unlocking new abilities and talents, and then doing it all over again. The core gameplay loop is a lot of fun and it's consistently being updated with new features and quality of life adjustments. Overall I think it's a really unique experience, and I hope to show it off and have a good time doing so.

I'm playing a single-player world currently and that will probably remain the case because I don't have the capability to host a server on my own nor am I looking to right now. Playing at my own pace and whenever I find recording time is important to me. The pack itself can get quite long, going all the way up to level 100 and having a final dungeon you can eventually clear, but it is very unlikely I will actually stick with it for that length of time. The plan is to play until I feel like I've done or shown enough, or I get bored of it. Finally, I'm also trying to use this series as a way for me to actually take a bit more pride in what I build, because honestly I'm tired of living exclusively in wooden rectangles. It's time to branch out and make some visually pleasing builds along the way.

A quick disclaimer: This LP was actually not originally planned to be one I posted here on SA. I've recently been able to start recording and editing stuff again and felt like making this series for myself first and foremost as a calm and enjoyable experience getting back into the swing of things. It's only after having uploaded a few episodes and having a few members over on our LP Beach here tell me they thought I should turn it into an actual LP here that I made the consideration to do so. As such, please excuse a couple of things in the first few episodes:
-First is that I've already uploaded 4 episodes of the LP to my channel so this will be an unintentional mini-dump of sorts.
-Second is that because I recently started monetizing my channel I did insert a few standard calls to action and details about my channel's new offerings into some of these early vids.
I'm not asking anyone here to engage with the monetization on my channel and I'm not going to make any further mention about it here because I know that's frowned upon. I made sure to clear all these concerns with the mods before posting too. Going forward I will try to minimize or cut out that kind of talk from my vids since I'm gonna be posting them here.

Table of Contents:
Episode 1: A solo Minecraft modpack adventure
Episode 2: The hunt for Chromatic Iron Ore
Episode 3: Mineshafts & Monsters
Episode 3.5: I build a house and can't think of a better title
Episode 4: I'm not literate enough to progress!
Episode 5: The First Vault!
Episode 6: I'm already getting too greedy
Episode 7: :siren: The LP Police are coming after me! :siren:
Episode 7.5: I continue building the house and still can't think of a better title
Episode 8: Gray and Brown
Episode 9: My Desire Sensor is (unfortunately) fully engaged
Episode 10 & 11: Oops // Oh No
Episode 12: Elixir? I barely know her!
Episode 13: Bigger Pouches and Waystones!
Episode 14: An Extravagant Door
Episode 15: Subway Opinions
Episode 16: Chill bridge building session
Episode 17: The first vault "failure"
Episode 18: Candyland
Episode 19: Update 12 is here!
Episode 20: My computer tries desperately to stop me from playing
Episode 21: I'm finally Level 20!
Episode 22: A stressful Scavenger Hunt
Episode 23: Laying the Trading Hall foundations
Episode 24: Beach Cave Brawl
Episode 25: Mekanism's Beginnings!
Episode 26: The search for Black Opal Ore
Episode 27: I do some housekeeping
Episode 28: Odds and ends
Episode 29: When Bees attack!
Episode 30: Double Vault!
Episode 31: Farewell for now

FPzero fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 19, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

FPzero posted:

Minecraft is a game that I have trouble playing on my own. It's fun, but for me every world kind of devolves into an eventual state of "well, what now?" pretty quickly. I love adventuring in games and finding things, but Minecraft isn't very good at that part. They add more and more stuff to the game but the adventuring aspects of vanilla Minecraft are usually a mile wide and an inch deep, and once you've beaten the Ender Dragon once there isn't really much else the game pushes you to do. I've never been much of a builder, nor have I been very good at setting my own goals. I was never the kid who, when faced with a box of Legos, created big things from my imagination. I always preferred to follow the instructions and build a cool thing.

Ah yes, me in a nutshell when it comes to any sandbox game. I've tried playing both Terraria, Avorion and Mount & Blade and just generally struggled with making it last before that question inevitably shows up and makes everything come to a standstill. Hence why I generally avoid the genre as a whole.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah yes, me in a nutshell when it comes to any sandbox game. I've tried playing both Terraria, Avorion and Mount & Blade and just generally struggled with making it last before that question inevitably shows up and makes everything come to a standstill. Hence why I generally avoid the genre as a whole.

I've actually had a lot better luck with Terraria because the progression through the game is pretty long and by the final boss I've felt like I've played enough to be satisfied with ending it there instead of continuing on to build more stuff or whatever. It's a game I've come back to many times over the years and done multiple playthroughs with friends on, and every time feels different and enjoyable. Hell, it's one of the few games my brother and I come back to together still, even 12 years after its initial release.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oddly enough I just ended up feeling the same frustration with that like with every other sandbox game I've done. Maybe I should've gone back to it like watching the videos kind of made me feel like I should do.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've always heard things about Sevtech Ages and the opinions range from "enjoyable but grindy" to "definitely not my thing". There's a part of me that really likes that ultra-detailed earlygame grind that some packs choose to implement but that's definitely my own brainworms talking and I totally get why many wouldn't want to play a pack like that. Years ago I played on a goon server with a mod called TerraFirmaCraft that emulated this idea to a large extent: Torches that needed to be lit, different types of rocks for different tasks, most blocks affected by gravity so if you were tunneling you might need to put up mineshaft supports, a kiln for smelting ingots that required you to play a minigame to keep the temperature of the ingot consistent when smelting otherwise you'd end up with ingots of various finished qualities. It was a fun time but very much not for everyone.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

FPzero posted:

I've always heard things about Sevtech Ages and the opinions range from "enjoyable but grindy" to "definitely not my thing". There's a part of me that really likes that ultra-detailed earlygame grind that some packs choose to implement but that's definitely my own brainworms talking and I totally get why many wouldn't want to play a pack like that. Years ago I played on a goon server with a mod called TerraFirmaCraft that emulated this idea to a large extent: Torches that needed to be lit, different types of rocks for different tasks, most blocks affected by gravity so if you were tunneling you might need to put up mineshaft supports, a kiln for smelting ingots that required you to play a minigame to keep the temperature of the ingot consistent when smelting otherwise you'd end up with ingots of various finished qualities. It was a fun time but very much not for everyone.

Honestly, while things are generally a lot more involved, I wouldn't say SevTech rises to anywhere that level of crazy fidelity to reality. And by the end of the Stone Age, most of my initial difficulties have been pretty much already solved (or would be if I knew how to set up efficient farms). There is one exception, but it's not even the grind itself so much as it being located 2500 blocks away from my spawn point, and even that has mostly been overcome. Of course, the next Age comes with its own challenges, but just taking things one at a time.

I don't have enough experience to say, but I keep hearing people say that GregTech is more along the lines of the "this is intended to scare you away from the game" levels of complexity-mod these days.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fdKr1t3bTc

In this video I set up a bit of an autofarm, a semi Botania mana farm and start generating source. Nothing too wild right, just wanting to get things going and generating while I do other projects.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

All the Mods is a series of modpacks that have all* the mods in them. You can get a mix of magic and technology working together to produce an item called the All The Mod Star. The star lets you create items that basically give you creative mode powers like flight or infinite power generation. To get these items you need a gigantic amount of resources and then production lines to get everything going. For example, you'd need to get certain ingots that you can only get from mekanism (tech and factories) and other ingots from botania (grow flowers to generate magic for stuff). The pack does provide a quest book to guide you through things... usually. But there are plenty of mods in this pack that have no quest book or any sort of in game documentation. But I'll power through anyways.

As so much of this mod is pretty much "build a base to house the production line to make all these things", my videos wont really do much exploring or combat stuff. There may be the odd one but for the most part its going to be me showing how I build things to achieve the production required for the star.

*May not actually contain all the mods

Getting Started
Farms, mana and source
Squeezing a little extra
Refining storage and ores
Let's build the house!
Magic Harvesting and Power
Mob. Blender
Mob Dropper
Massive Farm Rework
Mystical Ag and Bees
Let's fight some bosses
--Let's Make a Kitchen
Gear Salvaging and Farming Endermen

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 15, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I sort of shadow updated the second part of the Stone Age, which was weird because this as it turns out, this is the proper Shadow update. Anyways, SevTech: Ages advances:

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 2 - "Only through the Power of Darkness will this LP escape the Stone Age"

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
SevetechAges looks pretty interesting. It's the sort of mod pack that I like conceptually. Not sure if I'd be able to stand the grind if I played it, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DoubleNegative posted:

SevetechAges looks pretty interesting. It's the sort of mod pack that I like conceptually. Not sure if I'd be able to stand the grind if I played it, though.

That is, sadly, the state of most minecraft modpacks.
Having to deal with worldgen RNG just not giving you what you need is a huge part of it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Still in the hyperfixation phase, got a couple days left before I settle down and put all my LPs on a more sustainable schedule in equilibrium with one another. Until then, enjoy a quality of life improvement update!

Oh yeah, and I smelt some metal, I guess.

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 3 - "The finest LP, forged of gleaming Bronze"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah I think the main thing I enjoy reading about Sevtech and packs like it is seeing the low-tech stuff that gets added. Yes, it only serves a purpose to make it harder to do basic things, but it's just interesting to see what ways people come up with a more "natural" progression in a stone age. That horse-powered mill is a perfect example, and those totem poles that give beacon effects in a radius actually sound really cool no matter what age you're in. Congrats on hitting Age 1 and making steady progress through it!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm ready to enter the vault! ...Except I need a book or two first and I have none. Time for a quick expedition!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Gonna have to save going insane for next update, but might as well do the setup for it now.

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 4 - "H. LP. Lovecraft"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FPzero posted:

I'm ready to enter the vault! ...Except I need a book or two first and I have none. Time for a quick expedition!

Village in tears as adventurer kidnaps citizens and livestock

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I finally caught up with all the updates posted here and really enjoyed them all, even if I'm always in a state of low-level confusion over what all the stuff in ATM 8 is supposed to actually do. Thanks for this megathread and all the content within!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for viewing! Time to go and add some more reading material:

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 5 - "This LP is driving me mad"

I was only slightly joking in the last post, was really starting to lose it during the big fight in this update and worried that I would have to abandon a part of the map that I really wanted to keep as safe territory to Shoggoths. Fortunately, that didn't happen, but it was a near thing.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 29, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Squeezing a little extra

Today I'll finally be processing all the ore blocks I've mined with my silk touch pick. Namely, I'll be squeezing as much ore as I can out of each block and then setting up a way to mostly automate doubling them, then smelting them.

TheFunPolice
Sep 10, 2022

There's some audio desync later in the video. Around 24:10, though it goes away later.
Do you plan to show off more of what you've done off-screen?

TheFunPolice fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 29, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheFunPolice posted:

There's some audio desync later in the video. Around 24:10, though it goes away later.
Do you plan to show off more of what you've done off-screen?

I did notice it and tried to fix it, but it was weird cause it wasn't simply the audio being a second ahead or behind, I think it was just in the recording itself at random times. It mostly happened when I would open chests, and there is a lag when that happens for some reason (I'm not even accessing say a netherite chest with thousands of items in it). It even lags when I'm not recording and open a chest. I'll try to keep chest opening off screen in the future.

As for the second question, it depends. If you mean exploring the different dungeons, then yeah. I just haven't actually done any dungeon delving or going into the nether and all that fun stuff. If you mean me mining or reshaping the land... no. It'll just be a straight 12 hour video of me walking from spot to spot, mining a few blocks, looking around to make sure everything has been levelled just right, and late 90s/early 2000s top hits will be playing in the background.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Introducing Timdhackin', otherwise known as "This Modpack Doesn't Have Cool Name".

Why doesn't it? Because it's a random assortment of vaguely adventure based stuff I threw together in a few hours for a little nostalgia trip.

I've got two other (real) modpacks to dive into later, though I'll probably stick to screenshotting those. At the very least, I'm not doing any industrial modpack stuff in video because I'm going to have to have wiki pages up all the time. I don't remember how most of that stuff works.

jar modding: still terrible 12 years later

updates
01: A Normal Let's Play of Minecraft in 2023
02: Obligatory (but Unusual) Cave Episode
03: Migration to Less Torrential Pastures
04: Final Days on the Surface

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 22, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh neat, will go look at that in a bit. Always glad to have more people playing, though you're certainly braver than I in also making a modpack yourself!

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 6 - "Aquamarine in the Heavens, Black Quartz in the Earth, and LP in the Balance"

Couldn't figure out how to split this one up, so everything just got combined into a longer than usual update that reaches the end of Age 1. I did say that once things got going, getting through the last third of the tree or so is a breeze!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The paper making step was kind of weird because they mention mulberry sheet, washi, and parchment, and parchment doesn't even involve plant fiber, it's specifically made from animal skin.

Not sure how putting the soggy bark on the drying rack gets you a mulberry pulp, as putting soggy (stripped and washed) mulberry bark on the drying rack IRL gets you washi. I guess there needed to be an in-game step to represent tree bark > wet tree bark > paper pulp > sheeted pulp > paper.

There may be a Minecraft mod out there that does this, but it would have been neat to have different kinds of in-game tree make different kinds of paper pulp for different kinds of spellbooks.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Jossar posted:

Oh neat, will go look at that in a bit. Always glad to have more people playing, though you're certainly braver than I in also making a modpack yourself!

"Modpack" might be stretching it, but I did try to put as much in as I could. Bravery is also an interesting thing to bring up regarding it...

i have no idea why the game is out to jumpscare me so much

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Odd Wilson posted:

Shoulda waited 2 more days to post :ghost:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's time to enter the first vault!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I brought my Drake posted:

The paper making step was kind of weird because they mention mulberry sheet, washi, and parchment, and parchment doesn't even involve plant fiber, it's specifically made from animal skin.

Not sure how putting the soggy bark on the drying rack gets you a mulberry pulp, as putting soggy (stripped and washed) mulberry bark on the drying rack IRL gets you washi. I guess there needed to be an in-game step to represent tree bark > wet tree bark > paper pulp > sheeted pulp > paper.

There may be a Minecraft mod out there that does this, but it would have been neat to have different kinds of in-game tree make different kinds of paper pulp for different kinds of spellbooks.
Some of this stuff is clearly meant to be an abstraction, but then why go through the trouble of having it be so detailed in the first place if you're just going to deviate from the process and end up with parchment? The final tier should've just been magic paper, since it needs Aquamarine (the Astral Sorcery mineral) anyway.

Odd Wilson posted:

"Modpack" might be stretching it, but I did try to put as much in as I could. Bravery is also an interesting thing to bring up regarding it...

Leal posted:

Shoulda waited 2 more days to post :ghost:
2spoopy4me :ghost:

FPzero posted:

It's time to enter the first vault!
Finally, the eponymous Vaults! My opinion on the loot thing is that it's fine, inventory tetris comes with its own set of challenges in terms of trying to make sure that you can determine what's the most important thing to grab and what needs to be left behind.

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 7 - "LP Is Feudal"

This very much feels like an update in which I just get everything out of the way so that the next update can be all about the Betweenlands. But hey, all progress is good progress, even if some stuff is flashier than others.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 1, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 8 - "BetweenLPands"

Despite my end of update complaint I do think it's interesting how, even moreso than some of the other mods, the Betweenlands gives you the option to just stop playing SevTech for a bit and then pop out of its particular subcontent ready to break the rest of the modpack over your knee.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I really wanted to like SevTech when I played it, but the realization that it was a bunch of other mods kludged together into something approximating technological progression soured me on it pretty quickly. Which is unfortunate because I don't think there's another modpack that does achievement-based gating as well as it does.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I really appreciate your LP Jossar, it's neat seeing the depths of Sevtech. I agree though, it seems like Betweenlands is a bit more standalone than the rest of the pack and is really just there to put an arbitrary gate on your progression. I also think a lot of these packs that add depths to the "primitive" side are most interesting in those early hours because you're dealing with restrictive solutions. Once you get to regular minecraft stuff again it's a little less interesting a pack really needs to integrate all its stuff well or you can lose interest "early".

By the way, I know you apologized on Update 6 that the update itself was extra long, but I honestly thought it was a perfectly fine length and would have zero complaints if future updates ended up that length for whatever reason. Getting to see more of what you're doing helps set the LP in stone and gives us a good idea of what's going on with your playthrough at any given time. Heck, if you're interested a simple base tour update would also be neat since I'll bet it's grown a fair bit since those early updates in the stone age.

I forgot to say something at the time but I also really appreciate your LP because of the massive nostalgia hit you're giving me from playing on b1.7.3. I didn't ever play with the mystic ruins mod you have in there, but seeing the game played this way just brings me back. Can't believe we used to be able to kill Creepers in 3 hits with a Stone Sword!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 6: I'm already getting too greedy

Second vault time and I need to pay better attention to what's going on!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FPzero posted:

I forgot to say something at the time but I also really appreciate your LP because of the massive nostalgia hit you're giving me from playing on b1.7.3. I didn't ever play with the mystic ruins mod you have in there, but seeing the game played this way just brings me back. Can't believe we used to be able to kill Creepers in 3 hits with a Stone Sword!

It's a big nostalgia hit for me as well, and seeking out that nostalgia is a big part of what modpacks I'm doing. b1.7.3 is a time I very fondly remember, from when the game was still strange, new, and growing in potential all the time. It's wild to pick up a Diamond Sword and just 2 shot anything again.

Mystic Ruins isn't something I played with during this era either, there were only a few I did play with in this time period. It was mostly only Aether, Twilight Forest, and a few little QoL mods. Younger me was no good at .jar modding and I didn't get deep into the modding scene until about 1.2.4. That said, over the years, I've gone back and revisited mods in the beta era more than a few times for those cool mods I'd wanted but never got updated.

I can always show more stuff off from this era once I finish this little adventure, though the trickiest part outside of just getting the .jar to not break is to even find the original mod pages that even tell you what to do. The vast majority of mods just have a barebones readme saying "throw it in the jar" and "don't distribute without permission." A number of other things like Titans, Dragons, more of the Mystic Mods, and the like were stuff I tried to fit in but kept running out of IDs. :v:

Otherwise, the two I'm covering next are Yogbox and Tekkit Classic.

I'll admit I haven't had any time to catch up on others' LPs in the thread, but I'll find the time soon enough. The next of my updates for this should be up in a few days, the part that always takes the longest is cleaning up the audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Bloody Pom posted:

I really wanted to like SevTech when I played it, but the realization that it was a bunch of other mods kludged together into something approximating technological progression soured me on it pretty quickly. Which is unfortunate because I don't think there's another modpack that does achievement-based gating as well as it does.
I will say that at least as far as the "feel" goes, to the extent that Minecraft wanders off into weird semi-magical territory anyway and thus we don't have an expectation of perfect verisimilitude, the packs have done as good a job as can be expected at simulating technical/age progression. But it is very much personal opinion on that front.

FPzero posted:

I really appreciate your LP Jossar, it's neat seeing the depths of Sevtech. I agree though, it seems like Betweenlands is a bit more standalone than the rest of the pack and is really just there to put an arbitrary gate on your progression. I also think a lot of these packs that add depths to the "primitive" side are most interesting in those early hours because you're dealing with restrictive solutions. Once you get to regular minecraft stuff again it's a little less interesting a pack really needs to integrate all its stuff well or you can lose interest "early".

By the way, I know you apologized on Update 6 that the update itself was extra long, but I honestly thought it was a perfectly fine length and would have zero complaints if future updates ended up that length for whatever reason. Getting to see more of what you're doing helps set the LP in stone and gives us a good idea of what's going on with your playthrough at any given time. Heck, if you're interested a simple base tour update would also be neat since I'll bet it's grown a fair bit since those early updates in the stone age.
Upon looking back in the game I realized that I was being a little unfair: at least some of the final progression for the Age may in fact be easier to acquire by going back into the Betweenlands while you're looking for the literal requisite gem and farming some more Octine instead. Especially useful for players that have gotten sick of punching out bosses after a certain point. But even then, that's still nowhere near as far as we're absolutely going to have to progress through said bossfight modpack in order to make it to Age 3.

Update length considerations duly noted. Not really much to show off in a base tour though. Apart from reorganizing the former Horse Powered Chopping Block room to have a bunch of miscellaneous chests, and whatever changes I've shown on screen, my base really does look exactly same as it did 2 Ages ago.

EDIT: Also, saw the new VH Episode.

I totally thought you were gonna run out of time on the vault and was panicking for the last 5 minutes.

EDIT the Second: Eh, managed to get out an update before I fall asleep: Let's Play SevTech: Ages - Update 9 - "Forge the One LP, to Bind Them"

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 3, 2023