Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Previously on…[Mafia], a bunch of players played roles that left the game too early. Others had a ton of fun playing unique roles really well-suited for their playstyle. Rather than wonder about “what could have been” or reflect on those halcyon days of Mafia games past, let’s have a RE-DO! (A Semi-Open CYOR-like CubicalSucrose Concoction for 11 to 21 non-new players and as many Obs as Discord will allow)

Gimmick:
Everyone is playing a role they’ve played before in a previous game they’ve played (that I’m able to find a record of). Randomized alignments.

Upon sign-up:
1) Join Discord and I'll slot you into a confessional.
2) Cube will go back through your prior games and pick out 3 non-Vanilla roles that you’ve played in the past. Will try to provide a variety of options (i.e. not 2 trackers and a watcher). If you haven’t played 3 non-Vanilla roles you can’t play this one, sorry.
3) “The Hal rule (applies to everyone)” - At the same time, if there’s a role you’ve played in the past that you want to reprise in this game, let me know. I’m not going to go through 500+ Hal games to find 3 interesting roles, but if they remember a good one they can submit it. I reserve the right to veto really silly submissions.
4) You select one of the 3 provided or your self-submitted non-veto’d role. This is what you’re playing as.
5) Once sign-ups are closed and everyone’s roles are locked: You get assigned an alignment and are added to any relevant channels.

Public Alignment & Wincon Knowledge (Setup Spec):
- There will be a single scum team.
- Any 3Ps will be non-Survivor, non-SK/Arsonist/etc and have orthogonal wincons to scum and town.
- If the game has this many players, alignments will be:
11-14: 2-3 scum, 0-1 3P, rest town
15-17: 3-4 scum, 1 3P, rest town
18-21: 3-5 scum, 1-2 3P, rest town

Scum win when they have unassailable control over the vote.
3P win when they achieve their personal victory condition(s) (added manually, not a part of the original role selection process) (3Ps may or may not abscond upon achieving their condition(s)) (3Ps may or may not be a threat to town).
Town win when they have eliminated all threats to town.

Special thanks to:
Probably Iggy, Shell, and a bunch of others who have talked about the “curse of the interesting role.”
Quackles for sanity-checking some of the early setup implementation ideas.

Rule zero: If you ever encounter anything or anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable, threatened, abused, angry, or even unsure of how you feel, there are many people here, both within and outside of the SA Mafia community, who are happily willing to listen, provide support, and enact change to make the community better for everyone.
Here is a short list of only some of the people that other players have suggested as a resource that you should never hesitate to contact: Leperflesh and Antivehicular (probably the current Traditional Games Mods), VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Cloacamazing!, Opopanax, Sandwolf, Shellception, or whomever else you feel safer talking to!

Days will last 48ish hours, possible exceptions for weekends.
Nights will last 24ish hours.
Deadline will be at 23:00 UTC or 6 PM US Central. (Whoops Daylight Time fucks with things, we'll stay 6 PM US Central and whatever that means UTC, VF is accurate).
If all night actions are in before deadline, there are no objections from any players, and the mod crew is agreeable, the next Day may start early with extra time allotted in.

A CUSTOM set of mafia rules apply:
- Don't be a jerk.
- Discord is necessary for this game. Please JOIN THIS ONE
- Don't edit your posts (unless otherwise indicated).
- Don't copy/paste mod comms (unless otherwise indicated).
- Post “sufficient content” in a hammer-time-adjusted game day or you'll get a lurker warning (unless otherwise indicated). This is at mod discretion, but I intend to be relatively lenient. Don’t just spam posts with single numbers to hit a post count requirement, that’s not (necessarily) useful content. Don’t try to game this by being an intentionally-lurky scum. A second lurker warning is likely a modkill (then why am I calling it a "warning?" Maybe it'll serve as a warning to other players?).
- If you need to sub out, earlier notice is better. If you think it’s not a great time for you to be playing, please don’t sign up.
- Don't post after hammer (unless otherwise indicated).
- Don't post after you die (unless otherwise indicated).
- Finally, don't be a jerk.

(If anyone is interested in co-modding in any capacity, even just helping me provide role options, that would be appreciated, let me know)

There are a bunch of games in the queue and some of the role optioning will probably take me a bit, so not expecting this to launch super quickly.

1. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  2. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  3. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  4. Hyper Crab Tank
  5. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever)
  6. Illusionis (He/him)
  7. Johnny Keats
  8. JosefStalinator
  9. Maugrim (He/him)
  10. MockingQuantum (He/him)
  11. mycelia (he/him)
  12. Natural 20 (he/they)
  13. Nep-Nep (She/Her)
  14. Opopanax (He/him/opop)
  15. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  16. shwinnebego (he/him)
  17. Tired Moritz
  18. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)
  19. wologar (he/him/whatever)
  20. Your Personal Muse
  21. Zoya

[Unspoiled, potential replacements]
- Phuzz
- wins

(Maybe something with Azurelana figure something out if they join Discord)

Copying in mechanic info from the game-opening post. Anything in [Cube] brackets is text I've personally added, specifically for this game. The rest of the text should be a straight copy/paste:

NOTE! You all have played in a shitton of cool games. SOME of them have wacky mechanics! SOME of those wacky mechanics have made it into this game! SOME of those wacky mechanics are being used as RED HERRINGS for various reasons.

TWO additional wacky mechanics that MAY or MAY NOT be RED HERRINGS:

1) There will be a special mechanic for this game. The Duel. In the Scarlet Peach Blossom Sect any Core Disciple may choose once to duel with any other Core Disciple using ##challenge, although the challenged party always has the right to ##refuse. This will result in a coin flip by the moderator to see who comes out on top. While a challenge may not result in death, death is possible.

In other words, you get one challenge and can use it to challenge any other player. If that player refuses, you keep your challenge. The one who refuses may get a small penalty for refusing, representing a lowering of status in the eyes of the Sect.

[Cube]ONLY players are playing characters from that game may ##challenge in thread as a public day action. If they ##challenge someone who is NOT playing a "Core Disciple" (character from that game), the action will fail unresolved (and they can't ##challenge again until the next day).[/Cube]

2) :siren:The Logic System :siren:
In past AA games, I had set up a system where all players vote at night in secret for one player to be found guilty, and one to be found not guilty. The Guilty verdict would severely penalize a player, and the Not Guilty would benefit them.

It was cumbersome, plus there's no verdicts in AAI:ME, so I have changed the system to a Logic System. It's the same theme, you can either get benefits or penalties, but applied differently.

(1) Halfway through the day, the two players with the most votes will receive BAD LOGIC penalties! The two players with the fewest votes will recieve GOOD LOGIC benefits! Ties will be broken randomly.
(2) Players can switch from BAD LOGIC to GOOD LOGIC, and vice versa, via future votes. However, they are not eligible for result they currently hold (e.g. one player cannot repeatedly get BAD LOGIC).
(3) Knowledge of these results is sometimes hidden for balancing purposes. No BAD LOGIC will EVER result in immediate or delayed death.
(4) Good and Bad Logic results should not be used to infer alignment. None will confirm players as town or scum.
added 2/17 (5) After fewer than 12 players are alive, there will only be one player per day selected for GOOD/BAD LOGIC effects.

[Cube]If your role does not have LOGIC components to it, this does not impact you.[/Cube]

---
Day elims are majority hammer, it's possible to no-elim.

CubicalSucrose fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I was super excited until I got to the Hal rule

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Joining this game exclusively to get mad at it for not being mafia and then be modkilled and you can't stop me.

Will read the OP now but I will not leave the game no matter what it says.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
More like LAMEfia

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok I gotta try this, just don't make me a super Pokemon-trainer SK again cause that role definitely got used to its full potential

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Make me the super Pokémon trainer sk

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

- Any 3Ps will be non-Survivor, non-SK/Arsonist/etc and have orthogonal wincons to scum and town.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Do it anyway

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I really shouldn't sign up for this I'm currently modding my own game and there's a lot to do at work and

GIVE ME MY SERIAL PREACHER ROLE CUBE DO IT

(I'll also accept Befuddler Princess, Hallucinogenic Mushroom, Journalist, Journalist and Murderous Baby Seal Plushie).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i think i know what im gonna get tbh

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
I haven't been in enough games to sign up for this, but I'd be excited to watch it! And if there's anything I can help with I would love to help :)

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Ok

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yes

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i'm gonna regret signing up for this cuz i'm gonna be in too many games at once but i can't resist this

the most interesting thing about this angle is that, to some extent, we may be able to actually narrow down what a particular player's role is, by looking at their game history and seeing what the most interesting role they've had, that they'd be likely to want, that got cut down in its prime

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I’m excited because I don’t remember any of my roles so it’ll be like Cube is making up the roles for the first time

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This should be fun. I have access to all my roles except maybe for Opop's games but I'm not worried about that.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I can't play but I hope some of the people playing did some of my Mega Man games so you have some bugfuck roles to select from

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Signing up. I'll plan on submitting a past role proposal

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i will play

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

PhantomMuzzles posted:

I haven't been in enough games to sign up for this, but I'd be excited to watch it! And if there's anything I can help with I would love to help :)

Want to stay unspoiled as a possible replacement?

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Want to stay unspoiled as a possible replacement?

Oh sure! That sounds fun!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Still room here? I want a chance to troll Cube from a new angle

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Add me in

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I said I was taking an extended break but this seems like too neat an idea, and too bonkers of a setup, to pass up

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I think I should have enough roles to play, although since they've all been in the last couple months it might be a little unfair...But maybe that's fun? :thunk: So I'd like to play or be a potential sub if not!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I have been assimilated, accosted, assailed to play. And I shall.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

similar game idea for another time: mafia game consisting only of people who have modded games, and they have to play their own most outlandishly hellish role they've come up with in a past game

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Zoya posted:

similar game idea for another time: mafia game consisting only of people who have modded games, and they have to play their own most outlandishly hellish role they've come up with in a past game

A Prison Of Your Own Making... [Mafia]

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Zoya posted:

you can't just limit it to stuff we've already ran. I haven't even run a game with a Rellim yet

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Game

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds cool

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i wanna play... . ..

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

i wanna play... . ..

You're in, please join the Discord.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zoya posted:

Oh that sounds great. I was thinking about Fakeclaim Mafia, where you can pick any fakeclaim you have previously made and a role is created from it. Fakeclaim can be as detailed as you want, it can be the role you claimed in Space Opera, the Mathmagician from WizCon or it can just be Cube roleplaying as Bif.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

Oh that sounds great. I was thinking about Fakeclaim Mafia, where you can pick any fakeclaim you have previously made and a role is created from it. Fakeclaim can be as detailed as you want, it can be the role you claimed in Space Opera, the Mathmagician from WizCon or it can just be Cube roleplaying as Bif.

could I play as Cube roleplaying as Bif? how deep does the rabbit hole go?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

could I play as Cube roleplaying as Bif? how deep does the rabbit hole go?

as deep as you've actively fakeclaimed so you'd better put on your best "Cube roleplaying as Bif roleplaying as Cube roleplaying as Bif roleplaying as ..." impression in a game quick before that game gets started :v:

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I have never fakeclaimed.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well get started then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would love to play as Sir Mix-A-Lot from Butt Mafia, perhaps my proudest fakeclaim (and it worked!)