Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Hello, Something Awful 'The Game Room,' I want to play run a game. Ten years ago, a Mafia-like based on the Saw film series was played. Many were tested. And now others will be tested as well.

Welcome to Sawfia! This... mm. This is a bastard game of Mafia for 9 players! If you don't know what 'bastard' means this may not be the game for you. But if you are fine with enthusiastically jumping into a woodchipper head-first anyway, a bastard game is one where normally verboten Mafia elements are present and possibly even embraced. Alignment changes? Old fashioned cults? Jesters? Terrible roles that alter your results and make you wander away from your chosen target? YES, THEY MIGHT BE IN HERE.

Questions and Answers:

Q: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
A: That's not a question, but I did warn you this might not be the game for you. You're not going to hurt my feelings any by passing on it, even if I would like it to get filled.
Q: This is a horrible idea and you're a jerk for trying to inflict any of these things on people. They were thrown out for a reason! What are you thinking?
A: :sigh: Look, I get it. I know they were thrown out for good reasons and all I can do is promise you that the elements I have in here have been tempered so that they don't completely splinter the fundaments of the social deduction game. Old-timey cults could mean deprogrammers or immune former cultists turned PGOs exist. Alignment changes might be voluntary, or restricted, or voluntarily reversible. Jesters might get shot or pulled off the stage by a Hook. Terrible roles might have counters. And so on. I can't promise I've done a perfect job but I have tried and I've thought things through as much as I can solo. It's possible whatever I've done maybe even is so small I didn't think a counter would be necessary, even if it's not something that would be kosher for a normal game.
Q: What is the capital of Nova Scotia?
A: Halifax.
Q: I don't want to play, but I want to observe. Anything wild going on with that I should know about?
A: mmmm. Well, since you ask, yes. Certain select players get to fully ascend after death to see what's going on behind the scenes. Non-players will have to live with the suspense of unspoiled... or they can play games themselves to win the right to see more behind the curtain. There will be no means by which you can innocently notice which players or observers are select or move up and you shall be shamed for the forbidden technique at minimum if caught.
Q: Will this spoil the SAW movies for me?
A: IDK if it'll spoil all of them for you but yeah, there will definitely be spoilers here for more than one of the movies.
Q: I'm bad with gore. Is this going to have really nasty stuff described?
A: There's going to be appropriate flavor text for the games and everything, but any descriptions of gore will be kept light.
Q: Anything else I should know about flavor?
A: It'll be personalized to each individual player with respect to their SA Mafia meta sins/piques. For instance, if I were playing I'd be put into a well that started filling with water just like I fill threads with posts and eventually drown the way I drown out discussion in an effort to get myself killed.
Q: Anything else I should know in general?
A: Yeah. There's going to be a minor audio component to the game as you may have guessed by the link above. If you can't or don't want to record your voice for an Internet game, lmk and we'll work it out.

Rule 0, the important one that overrules all other rules: First and foremost, we are here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Please make sure that at all times you put your own sanity and mental well-being first. If at any point you feel like you're having a bad time, like someone's taking things too far or you just need someone to talk to, please contact your mods or one of our many community volunteers. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, Cloacamazing!, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1. General mafia rules apply. If you are playing, do NOT discuss the game outside the thread or authorized OOT channels!

2. Please don't lurk. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. Communication is key - if something important is keeping you from posting and I can accommodate it, tell us! First time is a warning, second one is a modkill.

3. Do not edit your posts. If there is a big reason you need to do so, tell us first.

4. Do not directly quote private communications. Copying and pasting any kind of OOT comms into thread is not allowed. Neither is copying and pasting any kind of mod communication, including your PM, either in thread or in any possible OOT communication channels. This rule will be enforced, and infringing it will result in a modkill.

5. Do not fake day actions. If you have been affected by a day action, please wait for it to resolve before posting.

6. Don't be an rear end to people. You don't have to be all nice and friendly all the time, but if things get too heated, please disconnect, calm down and come back later. Again, mod team is here to ensure everyone has fun, but I'd particularly not like needing to tell posters to chill. Be mindful of the person at the other side of the screen!

7. There are no bastard mod mechanics here, not even ones I've joked about, not even ones I might in the dead of night wake up to in hysterics over. No cults, no alignment changes, no jesters, etc.

8. Days will be 36-48 hours long, depending on the usual of week/weekend landings and my schedule. Hammers are by majority as usual.

9. Everything game-wise will be managed or accessed through Discord; please join using the link at the bottom so that you can get settled in and set up.

Result language notes (shamelessly repeated from prior games):

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result other than those that require it, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.
5. You will be informed if there are any special conditions that may cause your action to fail that you could not reasonably guess in advance in your role PM. As such, please read your role PM thoroughly and ask questions liberally in your confessional; I refuse to be held responsible for any misplays you make because you didn't make sure you understood how your role works! If you are not sure what might be considered reasonably guessable in advance, I highly recommend reading this link and asking any other questions you may have as needed.

Signups:

1. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. Idle Amalgam
  4. Illusionis (He/him)
  5. Johnny Keats
  6. mycelia (he/him)
  7. SporkChan
  8. Tired Moritz
  9. Toalpaz (She/Her & They/Them)

Observers:

My Second Re-Reg
saladscooper

Replacements:

Timeline/Important Posts:

D1 opens!

Discord link HERE.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

FINALLY a game I can understand. sign me up. i will remember your [jesters]

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Please!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I'd like to play a game.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Looks like I'm obligated to play this one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm a good sport with bastard games ,yeah

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
As much as I'd love to play I cannot, but I will gladly observe

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I started after the bastard mechanics had been cut, but I wish to experience them.

Sign me up!

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Making bad decisions

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I am going to regret this

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That filled up really fast. If anybody wants my spot, post and I'll move to obs

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

That filled up really fast. If anybody wants my spot, post and I'll move to obs

You are the 8th player to sign up. MSRR is observing.

e: Oh, right, Keats said he wanted to sign up in the main Discord. KEATS GET YOUR rear end IN HERE AND SIGN UP PROPERLY MISTER

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Get out me loving spot

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Johnny Keats posted:

Get out me loving spot

code:
proper sign-up received
game will begin soonish

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

https://voca.ro/17GTh93JlXWr

D1 is now open! Deadline in Votefinder below.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (9): Cloacamazing!, CubicalSucrose, Idle Amalgam, Illusionis, Johnny Keats, mycelia, SporkChan, Tired Moritz, Toalpaz

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 23rd, 2024 at 4 p.m. CST -- that's in about 1 day, 20 hours.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Not scum

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I refuse to say that I'm town

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Game went from posted to started in...7 hours? I wonder if that's a record. I guess 9 players is relatively light. Might check against the wins' games from last summer.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Cube am I scum?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

Game went from posted to started in...7 hours? I wonder if that's a record. I guess 9 players is relatively light. Might check against the wins' games from last summer.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032770 - this one was 6 hours.

Johnny Keats posted:

Cube am I scum?

Did you see the movies? Basically everyone was. I'm feeling like something is missing this game though.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
I'm a cop, but I'm *not* a cop. If you catch my drift.

I refuse to say I am scum because it is I, the greatest town player that has ever lived.

After many a cold night, I contemplated when would be the time to lend my great, incalculable strength to town, and the stars did align in such away that it was revealed to me to be now.

I am TOWN SUPERSTAR. Reel in shock and awe, scum nerds. Suck it. Quiver in your self-righteous boots. (also like fr fr, if you're a cult leader. *double eyebrow raise*, holla atcha town superstar boy)

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Your first puzzle if to figure out if I'm scum. You have 4 hours. If you are wrong or you run out of time I will explode

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

Your first puzzle if to figure out if I'm scum. You have 4 hours. If you are wrong or you run out of time I will explode

Is this a real thing? poo poo like this happened in the old game that the OP referenced.

If Keats is scum and we say town, then we are "wrong" and Keats explodes. Good outcome.
If Keats is town and we say town, then Keats doesn't explode? Good outcome.
If Keats is town and we say scum, then we are "wrong" and Keats explodes. Bad outcome.
If Keats is scum and we say scum, then we are right and Keats doesn't explode, but we know that Keats is scum. Weird outcome.

Something this straightforward with a short timeline seems like it has to be fake. But this game has the bastard tag.

I will suggest that Keats is town.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I never take it on faith that Keats is town. I'm not about to start now.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

SporkChan posted:

I never take it on faith that Keats is town. I'm not about to start now.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

CubicalSucrose posted:

Is this a real thing? poo poo like this happened in the old game that the OP referenced.

If Keats is scum and we say town, then we are "wrong" and Keats explodes. Good outcome.
If Keats is town and we say town, then Keats doesn't explode? Good outcome.
If Keats is town and we say scum, then we are "wrong" and Keats explodes. Bad outcome.
If Keats is scum and we say scum, then we are right and Keats doesn't explode, but we know that Keats is scum. Weird outcome.

Something this straightforward with a short timeline seems like it has to be fake. But this game has the bastard tag.

I will suggest that Keats is town.

##vote Sugar Cube

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im so lazy I'm gonna say town Keats because he's gonna post for me

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Interesting cult recruiter claim right off the bat from Keats ##vote Johnny Keats

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
So should I read my role before posting, or...?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Anyway, ##vote Cube, I refuse to trust this man any more

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Anyway, I'm a death miller jester cult recruiter. Gonna read my role pm after breakfast.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Johnny Keats posted:

Keats, have you exploded already? It's been four hours

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
##vote Keats

I was promised an explosion by obvious scum Johnny Keats and it didn't happen.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Idle Amalgam posted:

I'm a cop, but I'm *not* a cop. If you catch my drift.

I refuse to say I am scum because it is I, the greatest town player that has ever lived.

After many a cold night, I contemplated when would be the time to lend my great, incalculable strength to town, and the stars did align in such away that it was revealed to me to be now.

I am TOWN SUPERSTAR. Reel in shock and awe, scum nerds. Suck it. Quiver in your self-righteous boots. (also like fr fr, if you're a cult leader. *double eyebrow raise*, holla atcha town superstar boy)

Like half the people in the movies are law enforcement, if I'm remembering right. It doesn't really go well for them. Except the one that's a bad guy?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
ACABG

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Chrisrt, that was fast, hello.

Keats is obviously 3P.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Personally I just assume that I'm the only town aligned player in this game and everybody else is some sort of scum or 3P. I find it saves time.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Also Keats is clearly a survivor-aligned votebomb who will explode anybody voting for him who is of a different alignment than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

Personally I just assume that I'm the only town aligned player in this game and everybody else is some sort of scum or 3P. I find it saves time.

Same