Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!
Back July 18th!

Even though this is my first OP, I am extremely qualified to run this thing because unlike the rest of you I have met Richard Hallmarq in a Peet's Coffee.

(You try doing a selfie hoped up on 2 large coffees and twisting your neck to get to his level.)

We're to season 12 so you all know the drill:

The Contestants:
name: Alexander Pope (Gay Conan or Red Suede)

isn't that endearing: Q How are you described by your family and friends?. A Dead inside.

name: Alexandria Von Bromssen (sweedish chef d'oeuvre)

age: 38 hometown: Stockholm, Sweeden / San Mateo CA (South of San Francisco)
isn't that endearing: Q How did you end up auditioning for PR? A Applied once five years ago. They reached out to me this time and I went for it.

name: Angela Bacskocky (vintage pixie)

isn't that endearing: Q Nicknames? A Friends call me Angie. Family and British people, for some reason call me Ange. (I wanted to put in the rambling past jobs question but it took half the page)

name: Bradon McDonald (Plaid Brad)

isn't that endearing:Q Favorite past PR designer? A Patricia Michaels.

name: Dom Streater (the young one)

isn't that endearing:Q Current occupation? Past jobs? A Animal caretaker. Restaurant hostess.

name: Helen Castillo (tank-too)

isn't that endearing:Q Weaknesses as a designer? A Criticism for the way I look instead of acknowledging design strength.

name: Jeremy Brandrick (daddy duds)

isn't that endearing:Q Favorite past PR designer? A Anya.

name: Justin LeBlanc (The Deaf Guy)

isn't that endearing: My deafness has always influenced my design aesthetic, as I strive to provide a full visual experience in my designs. Q Favorite colors? A Grays.

name: Kahindo Mateene (Token PC -pattern and color)

isn't that endearing:Q Biggest fear as a designer? A Not being successful.

name: Karen Batts (Boca/golden girl)

isn't that endearing: (she used all these terms) epic, amazo, pet rock named Flounder, I’m so rad, dinosaur print, epic, boho-vintage glam perfection, Jamming on my violin, Pinterest, thrift store in Paris, epic… (I hate her already)

Kate - I never added her to this part

name: Ken Laurence (The Back Guy)

isn't that endearing:Q If you weren't designing, you'd be... A I honestly don't know! Maybe a motivational speaker.

name: Miranda Levy (Privet Page)

isn't that endearing:Q Places/cultures you wish you could design for? A I wish I could design dresses during the 1940s.

name: Sandro Mamanidi (The Russian Revenge)

isn't that endearing:Q Favorite past PR designer? A Dmitry Sholokhov.

name: Sue Waller (Carrie Dred-shaw)

isn't that endearing:Q Biggest fear as a designer? A Getting my work ripped off again…

name: Timothy Westbrook (unicorn)

isn't that endearing:Q Guiltiest pleasure? A I am comfortable enough with myself to not be guilty about decisions that I make. I think people who are ashamed of what they like to do are ashamed of a part of themselves. I am proud of all of my interests and do not live with guilt or regret.

Twist: This season they are bringing back one of three designers from previous seasons and fans will vote on who gets on the show. The winner will be announced on the premiere.

Lets refresh our memories:
Ra'mon - season 6, out episode 6
you know him as: the "genius" in cornrows who dyed a lovely green neoprene dress
"triumph": disaster:

Kate - season 11, out episode 7
you know her as: the girl who wore a tiara to the reunion show and proceeded to call Michelle and Amanda bitches while complaining that everyone thought she was immature. She was also tied to the hip to Tu.
triumph: disaster:

Valerie - season 8, out episode 10
you know her as: the girl with the head scarves.
triumph: disaster:

How to Vote: You can't because it closed on June 3rd. There was supposed to be a voting mechanism on the lifetime site, but I never saw it. Or you could have used Twitter using #RunwayRamon, #RunwayValerie or #RunwayKate. Now you only have yourselves to blame.

The Judges:

Heidi Klum - supermodel / producer

This is Heidi's way of being taken seriously in the fashion world while not giving up her true love of SHORT!, TIGHT!, and SHINY!
Heidi is a producer and her pets do not get kicked off (see Patricia season 11)

Nina Garcia - Fashion Director of Marie Claire / Fierce Bitch

Nina has a practical approach - would it photograph well? Would a woman actually buy it? Never give her a shirt and pants, Michelle! Also, your tears only make her stronger.

Zac Posen - Fashion Designer / Poor Michael Kors Substitute

… oh I'm sorry, did you say something over there Zac? No matter..
He needs to step up his critiques this season or be replaced by…

TLo!
A girl can dream. Tom and Lorenzo is an awesome site that does great recaps. We will all default to their designer nicknames within 3 episodes.

And finally, the reason we all still watch - Tim Gunn!
:allears:
Word is Tim gets to talk to the judges to tell them what he saw in the workroom for the challenge!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Tim Gunn discusses his elevated role in the proceedings of S12. This is required reading for the upcoming season.
- Tim will now offer workroom insight after the judges decide their top and bottom three.
- He also has :siren:A Save:siren: which he may or may not use once during the season.
- He unsuccessfully intervened during S10 (it doesn't specify for whom).
- The judges are not going to know whose garment they're seeing during the runway. In past seasons this was only true of the first episode.

Also, look at all the fashion!

Ima Giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Excellent OP Ima. In on this for what feels like the 6th time in 3 years!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I want to see more of the designing & fashion and less of the bitchfests.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

So, which of the three past losers got picked? Are they going to drag this out for the entirety of episode one?

That yellow dress that Heidi is wearing...the back of it is hideous. What on earth is that brown leather stuff running around the back?

Paper Gazelle
Oct 27, 2010
Lost interest after that whole Heidi + Tim Gunn vs the other judges. Can't remember which season it was, but it'd be fun to follow this season instead of watching reruns :)

EDIT: Meaning months after the show ended.

Paper Gazelle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 13, 2013

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I quit this show after finding out there were teams last season, but I'll give this season a chance. I just can't say no to Tim Gunn on my TV screen.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I quit this show after finding out there were teams last season, but I'll give this season a chance. I just can't say no to Tim Gunn on my TV screen.

Everyone I know hated the Team concept from last season. I only bothered to watch a few episodes. Hopefully, they'll avoid teams this time.

Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!
I kinda liked the idea of the teams... please don't hurt me!
The teams just had to have the same feel or colors and not a "mini-collection" as they usually did on the old team challenges. Plus the bad person on a good team thing was interesting.

Inveigle posted:

So, which of the three past losers got picked? Are they going to drag this out for the entirety of episode one?

That yellow dress that Heidi is wearing...the back of it is hideous. What on earth is that brown leather stuff running around the back?

I hope (for schadenfreude) that they have all 3 design and show for the first challenge. They have a regular "worst" and they are booted (not one of the 3) and then they kick off 2/3. Extra hilarity if the winner of the challenge was not the chosen one.

I think that the dress has brass on it. It's just in a shadow so it looks weird(er).

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hey Ima Giraffe! Here's a pic to put at the top of your first ProjRun post.

This image was meant to be used on the ProjRun billboards in Los Angeles but was banned. I cropped out half of the image to post it.

The entire uncensored image is at the link below with the article.
http://variety.com/2013/more/news/nude-project-runway-billboard-banned-in-los-angeles-1200560735/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Tim Gunn discusses his elevated role in the proceedings of S12. This is required reading for the upcoming season. Some choice nuggets:

- Tim will now offer workroom insight after the judges decide their top and bottom three.
- He also has :siren:A Save:siren: which he may or may not use once during the season.
- He unsuccessfully intervened during S10 (it doesn't specify for whom).
- The judges are not going to know whose garment they're seeing during the runway. In past seasons this was only true of the first episode.
- Being a judge on the S5 finale was "one of the most uncomfortable feelings I’ve ever had because I was having a tussle with ...[Kenley Hollins]. She was all full of herself about how she is winning and I was dubious about what she had been – what she was presenting."
- Despite considering himself "[a] dusty old scale-covered fart", he doesn't get the hubbub about the S12 promo photo.
- He wishes he could sit in on the model fittings, but it would take too much time.

I am now totally excited for Thursday.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I recall hearing something about Tim trying to intervene on behalf of a contestant a few seasons ago, but I can't remember now who it was.

Which season was it when Tim's video blog was finally shut down? Was that Season 8? Those videos were wonderful and I'm sorry I didn't save them!

metalheart
Jul 16, 2013
To be honest I really do not like shows that have people from the old seasons come on. I got seriously sick of it with Survivor. I hope she gets kicked off really fast.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
The new season long budget twist could have some interesting repercussions. I can't wait for someone to blow all their money 4 episodes in.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm convinced that with the designers having to budget themselves now, Victorya from season 4 is losing her poo poo.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I kind of hope at least one of the judges just cracks up when Timothy's poor model flails down the runway. I like his cassette-textile thing, but that's just silly.

metalheart
Jul 16, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

I kind of hope at least one of the judges just cracks up when Timothy's poor model flails down the runway. I like his cassette-textile thing, but that's just silly.

Did she refuse to do it or did they just decide not to do that? I already am annoyed by this guy with all the eye-rolling sustainable crap he keeps talking about.

Bradon's dress though--gorgeous!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Inveigle posted:

I recall hearing something about Tim trying to intervene on behalf of a contestant a few seasons ago, but I can't remember now who it was.

Which season was it when Tim's video blog was finally shut down? Was that Season 8? Those videos were wonderful and I'm sorry I didn't save them!

Yeah, it was season 8. It was great watching him vent about the episodes and people behind the scenes. It was in one of those where he dropped the line "crack-smoking judges" that he caught a lot of poo poo for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRBsq66bSTM

"C'mon Heidi, you're not really smoking crack...or are you? :raise:"

Goddamn I love this man. :allears:

Edit: What do you know, they do seem to still be up:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1568175653454&comments

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 19, 2013

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

As much as I would have loved Timothy to go, Angela's outfit just reminded me of a windbreaker jacket I had in 1993. And that's not cute.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh timothy is insane he burn toxic flumes for a dress and how is he not using a sewing machine or make-up. What is the deal with this guy! Taht russian needs to leave after that bathing suit!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

What the gently caress is this horseshit, Miranda gets a top 3 for not following the challenge rules?

E: Well cool, that was a total false alarm.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 19, 2013

Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!
I just got home from work so pictures up tomorrow (?)

I can't wait to see this special unicorn timmy in action.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Cannot wait for the context of Kors saying "YOU POOPED YOUR PANTS!" and Nina's "It's like you've got a foamy vagina!" from the season preview.

Gonna be a good-rear end season based on tonight.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Ima Giraffe posted:

I just got home from work so pictures up tomorrow (?)

I can't wait to see this special unicorn timmy in action.

My favorite part of the whole premiere were the reactions to Timmy - Alexandria's straight-up "The next winner of Project Runway needs to use electricity" or whatever the quote was, Tim Gunn's disgusted what-are-you-doing look at the walk choreography, and Zac Posen pointing out the burning synthetic fabrics things were all better than anything that happened during the entirety of Season 11.

For winners this season, my heart's telling me Alexandria and my brain's telling me (my snap pick for the season) Jeremy - Alexandria got kind of a villain edit for the episode even though the only person she really clashed with was Sandro (who looks batshit insane) and Jeremy got a really good edit + looking at his resumé on the profiles.

Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!
Oh good, Kate brought her tiara

winner! Bradon

Top Sue

Gorgeous, could have won

Ken

Love the ruffles as it went down the runway

Jeremy

Sporty Spice fierceness!

Alexandra

I like how the pockets give it a different color

Kahindo

It's a little conventional for unconventional material

Kate

It's a cute dress

Justin

It's a cute dress

Alexander

huh?

Dom

The skirt looks good, ran out of time for the rest?

Helen

Used the supplemental fabric to make an ugly dress

Karen

Shapeless sack and styled poorly.

Bottom
Miranda

Now go to your room and think about what you did!

Sandro

That poor model was getting sawed in half! Also I do I hear wedding bells for Sandro and Elena?

Timothy

I truly wish this last unicorn to be gone from our world. Oh, and Zach Posen had an excellent point on the fumes. Yea Zach!

OUT Angela

Sad Balloon

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

For winners this season, my heart's telling me Alexandria and my brain's telling me (my snap pick for the season) Jeremy - Alexandria got kind of a villain edit for the episode even though the only person she really clashed with was Sandro (who looks batshit insane) and Jeremy got a really good edit + looking at his resumé on the profiles.
I think Alexandria is just really swedish (brutally honest without sugar coating).

I'm sad to see Angela go. Not because she was talented, she was cute to look at.

Rapsey fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 20, 2013

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
I'm actually excited about this season, except for the returning contestant. And unicorn dude. Dear god he needs to go.

But they really made some great format changes. Love that the designers get more time - hope this sticks. Love that the judges don't know who did what during the show. Love that they can inspect the garments up close. And love love love more Tim Gunn being included! Now the designers just have to deliver.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ima Giraffe: Thanks for the recap and for posting all the pics of the outfits!

I had hoped that Miranda would have been out, just so I wouldn't have to look at her stupid hipster glasses and tattoo sleeves any more. When Tim tells you TWICE not to do something, you need to listen!

Ugh. Next episode looks like a lot of crap drama rather then the fun of designing outfits. Hopefully the main drama-maker will quit or get kicked off.

That said, I liked the changes made to the format. The challenge was fun and who doesn't like MORE Tim Gunn? :)

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I had no idea this was back, but I can never say no to more Tim Gunn

e: this thread (well, one of its ancestors) introduced me to TLo a couple seasons ago and I am forever greatful

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
Ugh, I kinda liked Timothy at first, but he is trying WAY too hard to be avant garde, and he's not good at it.

metalheart
Jul 16, 2013
That drat rating thing in the corner is bugging the hell out of me.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Unicorn's dress this week is just asking to be on couture people of wal-mart with boobs sticking out of those holes. Geeze Heidi, you should know that you don't wear a bra with that. You have just been shopping at Target too long.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Honestly, I am surprised they did not get more social sooner. This is a program that gets massive hits across social media.

Of the bottom two I thought Timothy has a nice message but needs to do more with his work. The sustainability aspect is nice but he needs to show more if he expects to last another week or two.

The contestants remind me of the one year when Tim said they picked people who were thin skinned.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
How the hell was Bradon not in the top three this week? Is this a joke?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
Out of the awful designs, I was the most annoyed by Miranda's(?): she basically did the exact same dress from last week-- form fitting, bare midriff, pointy shoulders-- except an ugly shade of blue instead of black. She was the one who didn't use the parachute material last week and should have been disqualified.

How did that awful Marie-Antoinette-after-her-clothes-were-ripped-up garment win? Why didn't Braydon, the guy who won last week, win again? (spelling? is that his name? I don't remember!)

The tatted up crying girl needed to be booted off. Even if she had perfectly executed the breast cups, that dress was just horrid. Her breakdown on the runway wasn't compelling reality drama either. Now, Timothy's drama is perfect, and I hope that kid makes it to the finale. L'oreal as sustainable, I-can-use-this-velvet-and-pretend-it's-from-the-trash, look at my white towels on a blue dress, the other contestants reactions to his work-- amazing.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Timothy's dress would not have been that bad except for the fact his top was backwards.

I do like how the judges get a close look at the top and bottom 6 although I would hope they expand the top 3 in the future. The close up allows them to see any construction flaws that were hidden in the hopes that they do not stand out during the runway walk. Now that they get a closeup any flaws will get exposed.

The judging may be a little off since the judges do not know whose dress is attached to each contestant. Hopefully that evens out as the season goes on.

metalheart
Jul 16, 2013
I just think it was bogus Jeremy or Bradon didn't win. Jeremy's dress looked like she was rising from smoke: beautiful!

Timothy makes me gag. Although I know he'll be kept on because of the drama he causes. His clothes are garbage, literally.

And the winning dress was trash, too.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Even by PR standards I'm not understanding the judging this episode.
I cannot believe Kate's dress won, I thought she was going to be in the bottom. Also crying-girl-who-can't-do-cups should've been gone.

Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!
Darn DVR decided it had enough of Unicorn's bull poo poo and refused to record this. I had to watch on lifetime's website like an animal.

winner! Kate

Of course this won… we've seen something like this before… the see-thru bodice from the "triumph" in the OP. Heidi herself raved over it only a few months ago. Zach even mentioned a perfume ad.

Dom

love the pattern and trim! I think it was shiny on the runway which brought it away form poolside couture. The edges of the trim were very rough

Sandro

SO ANGRY! Why isn't this producer steaming things for me!

Bradon

The jacket was the only not awesome thing

Justin

If he had used even slightly different colors on the layers, you would have seen the work, but all black meant it looked boring.

Sue

Scary Bradshaw likes her clothes as crimped as her hair

Ken

Neo-Dynasty

Alexander

I kinda love it.

Alexandria

Not enough detail to get it to the top. Well made otherwise

Jeremy

Something about this dress bugs me… proportions are kinda odd? Is that jersey on the main body?

Miranda

yeah. It's another 2-piece from the 40s.

Karen

Why did she make a blue sack? Seriously, that thing is so ill fitting on the top I'm wondering if she meant for it to be as ironic as her normal clothes. (I still hate her)

Bottom
Helen

You have a beyond puckered butt, your fabric is belch. But Cheer Up, you're not nearly as bas as Unicorn! Now turn to him and scratch him with those killer nails… atta-girl!

Timothy

Does anyone else want to go in on a group bitch slapping? His attitude is bad enough, but he has no style, no talent for execution, and has no idea how to flatter a woman's shape - not even a model's

OUT Kahindo

It did not look camouflage until it was layered. It was pretty lame, but you just don't impassion the viewers like Unicorn.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I missed the episode but wow, Sandro really bounced back to nail it. The judges/producers/whoever should stop toying around and hanging onto Unicorn, they had the decency to put Ari Fish out of her misery on episode 1 of her season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I guess kahindo should have been crazier or more of a drama queen. Her dress was the least bad of the bottom 3 and yet they sent her home.

• Locked thread