Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Latest Update:

Layoffs and Layons.

------------------

A game of adventure. A game of romance. A game of beating people to death without resistance because they are too polite to interrupt your conversation. Welcome!

We're going to be playing one of the most beloved RPGs ever made. Based on the 2nd edition Dungeons and Dragons ruleset, Baldur's Gate is a grand-scale epic about one hero's quest to acquire and wear the gaudiest enchanted cotton beefy T's for a thousand miles in any direction.

But I've already played Baldur's Gate to death!

Oh man, me too. And good on you for playing this fantastic game. (un?)Fortunately we don't all have your good breeding, and by we I mean Bacter. Our homegrown hero will be playing through the game for the very first time, and you have a front row seat to see the ruins of his adventuring hopes and dreams.

But I've never played Baldur's Gate at all!

That's fine! In this thread Bacter is the only one we judge for being culturally backwards. As we progress through the game I will explain the mechanics, show off the secrets, the exploits, the easter eggs, and anything else worth seeing as we plant our muddy boots all over the Sword Coast. Don't worry, "most" of the worst cheating will take place in the non-canon bonus videos.

Why not play the Enhanced Edition?

The simple answer is Multiplayer Stability. That's right, we will be playing this game in full co-op mode, so netcode stability is kind of important. About a year ago the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was released onoff Steam to the mild acclaim of the nostalgics. Sadly it was released in a very dubious state. Among the Enhanced Edition's various legal and technical problems is a very unstable batch of netcode, and despite a year's worth of patches and our best efforts, we couldn't get the game to even leave the multiplayer menu without one of us crashing completely to the desktop. But don't worry! Very little has changed between the classic game and the Enhanced Edition, so you will be missing little. I may or may not point out various differences between the two editions as we progress through the game. I am not super familiar with all the changes the Enhanced Edition makes, so if I say something that doesn't apply to the Enhanced Edition, feel free to tell us. What we WILL be doing is playing in the improved Baldur's Gate 2 engine. Long before the Enhanced Edition came out, some enterprising modders ported the entire Baldur's Gate game to the improved engine of Baldur's Gate 2, and so we will be playing that.

I'd like to set up a multiplayer game too, but how can I play multiplayer if the Enhanced Edition is broken?
The fine folks at GOG have the entire series for sale for a song, patched to run on modern hardware without you needing to do a thing, and even have a step-by-step guide for how to play the original game in the sequel's engine.

Oh man, I can't wait until you get to Santa's Worksh-
Whoa there! We can't be ruining Bacter's surprise! This thread has a NO SPOILERS policy in place. Not even in tags! Feel free to talk about anywhere we've seen, characters we've met, game mechanics of any sort (but don't spoil exciting things like spells or cool magic items), or dungeons and dragons in general.

edit: New spoiler policy! Now that this is no longer a blind LP, feel free to post spoilers, just be polite to your fellow goons and put them in tags. Try to avoid spoilers about Baldur's gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal, since we haven't got there yet.

VIDEOS

Stats and early NPCs

CHARACTERS

Bactorc was born in uncertain circumstances and brought to Candlekeep by Gorion. When he asked about his childhood, he was told that he was brought there by the storc. Given that Bactorc was raised in a library, he could often be found with his nose in a book, and as such grew up as a bit of a dorc. He had few friends outside the priesthood, who taught him how to live the sacred life, such as abstaining from porc. But even while doing so, he never could keep his table manners straight - he has no idea how to use a forc. Still the priests found him useful for opening the sacred wine, his immense strength made him easily able to remove the bottle's corc. His favorite pastime is meditating in the shrine, admiring the sacred artworc.

Elfred Nobel is the inventor of elf dynamite. He and Bactorc are friends.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Reserved for future things.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Aye, things indeed!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Also reserved.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

More fantastical adventuring with Mzbundifund and Bacter? Dungeons and Dragons to replace Amulets and Armor? Joyous day! :allears:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Oh man. I'm pumped :dance: Had no idea about this!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Why aren't Elfred's ears pointed :colbert:?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You unspeakable racist.

He's a HALF-elf.

They were blown off in an elf dynamite accident

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Aw man, I saw a test video that was posted on Youtube through the subscription page and was beside myself with excitement. When Bacter posted the Guacamelee video I thought hope was lost, but both LPs are going to be so magical. Also, I've played and loved Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, but never played the first one. All around, this is going to be very exciting :allears:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This thread is going to be wonderful. :allears:

Mzbundifund, you spelled it "Balder" in the section about the enhanced edition

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
I never noticed how many people Cam Clarke voiced in this game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I know this got asked in in Sand Castle, and I don't think answered, but I've never played Baldur's gate 1, 2, any expansions, nothin'.

I've played Temple of Elemental Evil, Arcanum, plenty of RPGish games, I just somehow missed this one. This and Neverwinter nights.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever been stoked for a VLP of Baldur's Gate. Looking forward to seeing Bacter finally understand all the dumb jokes he's been hearing for years.

Also you missed the Party Control tutorial. It's nothing special but you do get a bunch of NPCs who don't appear elsewhere in the game.

Kloro fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 30, 2013

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kloro posted:

Also you missed the Party Control tutorial. It's nothing special but you do get a bunch of NPCs who don't appear elsewhere in the game.
And you can abuse character exporting to start with a nice wand, but if you're going that far you might as well massacre Candlekeep a couple of times and start out at level 3.

Am I the only one who persistently hears Winthrop's line as "my old gal's as clean as an ogre's arse"? I know it isn't, but my ears must be broken.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

chrisoya posted:

And you can abuse character exporting to start with a nice wand, but if you're going that far you might as well massacre Candlekeep a couple of times and start out at level 3.

You can also use character exporting to dupe items, which I guess is nice if you want to roleplay as spoiled nobles charging all your expenses to Gorion's trust fund. You can even get the perfect item for this right in Candlekeep.

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
Oh, yes! Friends and relations may shower me with gifts as today is my birthday, but they can't beat the gift of two of my favorite LPers LPing one of the best games ever created.

By some delightful twist of fate I just started playing this game again yesterday. I'll be following along, but there's no waiting for you to catch up with me. No one has that much patience.

The Pocket Savior fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 30, 2013

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Personally what I've always heard is "My ol' girl's as clean as an open arse".

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Bacter posted:

I know this got asked in in Sand Castle, and I don't think answered, but I've never played Baldur's gate 1, 2, any expansions, nothin'.

I've played Temple of Elemental Evil, Arcanum, plenty of RPGish games, I just somehow missed this one. This and Neverwinter nights.

Wow, that's practically uncanny. I've always considered the BGs and Neverwinter games to be the more 'mainstream' and commonly known of that genre.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
And there will be a Youtube Co-Op Let's Play of Baldur's Gate and it will be the best way to re-experience this game for someone who completed it more times than was really necessary and Oh My God there are three posts reserved this will be glorious. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I can't say that NWN1 has aged nearly as well as the BG series, and it's SP campaign was always... sub-par compared to this series, so no great loss there.

This should be interesting to see, the number of times I've wished to be able to replay the BG series with fresh eyes...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

chrisoya posted:

Am I the only one who persistently hears Winthrop's line as "my old gal's as clean as an ogre's arse"? I know it isn't, but my ears must be broken.

Being that I was a kid who didn't know the word arse when I first played BG, I've always heard it as "old vernarse". What's a vernarse? Must be some kind of horse I guess, there's a stable right there! Maybe some kind of antique furniture.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I love the decision to use that half-orc portrait from Neverwinter Nights. It looks like they took Inigo Montoya and gave him green skin (they might have literally actually done this).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm pretty certain that Reevor will never give you more than 5gp reward for rat slaughtering, even if you had 25 CHA and 20 rep. He's just that kind of tight-fisted dwarf.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
This looks like a fun LP, I played a lot of BG and it'll be funny to see someone unused to the wonkiness of the engine. That being said, the fact you picked a single class cleric is driving me nuts.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Glorious!

I've played "at" Baldur's Gate 1 but have never actually completed it all the way through - meanwhile, I've played the hell out of the second one. Not entirely sure why that is.

Is it too early to start mocking things like the novelization?

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
I remember playing* this game with my Dad when I was around 6 years old (I wanted to name my first character Lucifer, but he didn't go for it). I got the Enhanced Edition in a Steam Sale, but I haven't touched it yet.

I suspect this LP is going to be an enlightening experience for me.

*By playing, I of course mean making new characters and playing through the tutorial over and over again, because I was afraid to leave Candlekeep. This had the unintended side-effect of embedding every bit of spoken dialogue during the prologue into my subconscious mind.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I first played this game on a friend's computer after the first ever session of Dungeons and Dragons I ever played when I was 14.

I blame all the hours I've wasted playing and writing RPGs squarely on Baldur's Gate. I am so goddamn glad I played it and so looking forward to this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tried to play this; went ahead and got it and Baldur's Gate 2 and all the expansions in one go because they were cheap on GoG. Ended up not really getting very far, so this should be interesting and new to me.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

MegaGatts posted:

This looks like a fun LP, I played a lot of BG and it'll be funny to see someone unused to the wonkiness of the engine. That being said, the fact you picked a single class cleric is driving me nuts.

Is that a bad idea?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

As single-class Clerics go, Lathander is probably the best. As a class though it's stronger when multi-classed with a Ranger, Mage, Fighter or even Thief.

But you'll be fine, BG is winnable with any class and it's not as if you've screwed yourself entirely by going with something actually awful.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Bacter posted:

Is that a bad idea?
Ignore the naysayers! Bactorc is a trailblazer all his own. Single-class is all he needs, because he is the classiest dude around (in spite of what his charisma says)!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

sebzilla posted:

As single-class Clerics go, Lathander is probably the best. As a class though it's stronger when multi-classed with a Ranger, Mage, Fighter or even Thief.

But you'll be fine, BG is winnable with any class and it's not as if you've screwed yourself entirely by going with something actually awful.

Well, possibly not with the Monk (okay you caaaan do it, but god drat).

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

sebzilla posted:

As single-class Clerics go, Lathander is probably the best.

Helm sees all. Know that and be judged.

But, since Bactorc is not a mage, he's just life support for pre-fireball Elfred Nobel anyway. :v:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Bacter posted:

Is that a bad idea?

From a powergaming perspective, yes. The game is entirely manageable no matter what class you choose, though, and you have a wizard pal to do the powergaming for you! You'll be fine.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Well, possibly not with the Monk (okay you caaaan do it, but god drat).

With a party, no sweat.

Solo Monk in BG1 would be a bit rough, sure.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lotish posted:

Tried to play this; went ahead and got it and Baldur's Gate 2 and all the expansions in one go because they were cheap on GoG. Ended up not really getting very far, so this should be interesting and new to me.

Honestly even if the original game didn't capture your interest, it would still be worth giving BG2 a shot. The second game starts you as a real badass fighting against badass odds, instead of starting out as a level 1 chump from chumpsville (which can be a bit of a drag).

You'll miss out on "getting" a bunch of references to the events and characters of the first game, but it's still an excellent game even without those.

Or I guess you could wait for the LP to finish and pick it up from that point :v:

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Walrus Pete posted:

From a powergaming perspective, yes. The game is entirely manageable no matter what class you choose, though, and you have a wizard pal to do the powergaming for you! You'll be fine.

To be fair he's a half orc with 19 strength, I'd go with a fighter/cleric multi just for RP reasons. Really a single class Lathanderite is just an almost fighter cleric you have to activate a spell for. You could shadow keeper him into a fighter/cleric. I think it would save some hassle with how number of attacks are calculated and avoid some frustration. That being said the game is totally doable with one, and I have beaten the gave with most classes solo(with no xp cap that is). The trick with the monk is to grab all the easy xp quickly and level up fast because he's on the thief xp table, to actually use his stunning fist ability and rest when it's gone, and to use their faster speed to run and hide in shadows when things get harry. It's actually very hard for low level enemies to save against stunning fist and with 18 strength and oils of speed s/he can kill most things with one activation. Once s/he hits BG2 levels most things become a joke.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For someones first time through Baldur's Gate, a pure cleric is fine guys.

Lotish posted:

As somneone who did not take this advice because I'm a stubborn rear end, but realize it is all my own fault: Just start off with Baldur's Gate 2 and just get a general synopsis for the plot of BG1. It is an interesting as gently caress game, but BG2 is generally considered better because it kinda shaped the modern RPG audience into what it is.

Baldur's Gate 1 is like the swan song of the change of a generation between the golden box games and a new era.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahahahaaaa...

Good luck guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kloro posted:

It's actually unavailable in multiplayer mode. You can see the gatewarden run up to Bactorc, but he just gives him a generic "Hey go see Gorion" line instead.

chrisoya posted:

Indeed, this is a shameful suggestion. You don't need to resort to save file manipulation to get that wand.

Geop posted:

Ignore the naysayers! Bactorc is a trailblazer all his own. Single-class is all he needs, because he is the classiest dude around (in spite of what his charisma says)!

Well said! Bactorc isn't some powergamed collection of numbers, a mere stat block built to survive challenges he would never know are coming. He is a humble everyorc, with flagrantly metagamed statssimple beginnings, doing his best to meet the challenges of life as they come.

Comrade Question posted:

But, since Bactorc is not a mage, he's just life support for pre-fireball Elfred Nobel anyway. :v:

I hope by "fireball" you mean something else, because fireballs are gauche and cliche and I would be astonished if Elfred ever casts one.

--------------

Hey, remember Candlekeep? All those childhood memories! Before we say goodbye to it for good, let's have one last run of the place.

--- Important spells used this video (you should probably watch the video first) ---

Protection from Evil is really a decent effect. It adds a +2 bonus to armor and a +2 bonus to all saving throws. Its description says it only works against the attacks of evil creatures, but the game doesn't actually check for that, it works against the attacks of everything. The saving throw bonus is particularly valuable. Its main downside is it only lasts for 2 rounds per level of the caster, so it doesn't get viable until later, and only if cast immediately before combat.

Shield is a buff spell that grants the caster an armor bonus of 6 (the same as Bactorc's splint mail) for 50 rounds. It also provides immunity to a single spell, and that spell is...

Magic Missile! Magic missile is the traditional level 1 attack spell. It does 2-5 damage per missile, and fires one additional missile every two levels. The missiles are guaranteed to hit, are as long-range as your sight radius, and the spell has an instantaneous cast time. Its primary use is to disrupt casters who are attempting more complex spells with longer cast times, but at our low level, a decently-levelled caster can easily kill either of us in one shot with it. Hard-countered by Shield.

Chill Touch is the first of a large number of spells that replace the caster's weapon with a spell effect. Chill touch is a melee effect that adds a +4 bonus to-hit, 1-8 cold damage, and a -2 to-hit penalty to the target if they fail their spell save. It lasts for 10 rounds, which equates to 10 attacks. While it vastly outpaces any other options available to Elfred right now in terms of raw damage output, having to get right up on an enemy and stay there for multiple rounds is a terrible price to pay for such a frail class. It really only has niche uses, such as you see here.

Find Familiar is an interesting spell. It grants you a little magical pet with a variety of abilities. Only arcane casters can cast this spell, and only the protagonist can cast it, so Elfred will never get this in the canon playthrough. Exactly which pet you get and what its abilities are depends on your alignment, which is why I make note of non-canon Elfred's alignment this video.

• Locked thread