Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
:siren: As of June 2015, the DayZ Standalone is still poo poo-rear end broken. Will it ever be good? Who knows. Right now we've all (mostly) moved on to ARMA 3 mods. We're playing the following:

Breaking Point - closest thing to the OG DayZ that is available for ARMA 3. It's active and fun. Get it on the workshop and download the Breaking Point launcher. All you need for this is ARMA 3, but buying the extended edition on sale is a good idea.

Epoch - another ARMA 3 mod, base-building focused.

King of the Hill - has absolutely nothing to do with DayZ but it's still fun as hell. No mod required.

Get on Mumble to see what we're playing. We have a PGS thread that's covering all bases, title says Epoch but we talk about KoTH/BP/Battle Royale too. Mumble deets/PGS thread is in here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695643 :siren:

Anything below this line is about the broken-as-gently caress, bad standalone. You can read this if you want but the SA won't be good for months.

--------------- CUT THREAD HERE ------------------

:siren:READ THIS WHOLE OP!! It's got nice tidbits about increasing performance, staying alive, and most importantly: how to group up and play effectively with Goons:siren:
Also, keep in mind that when this first launched it was almost completely unplayable so the first few pages you'll see in this thread are full of people experiencing that. It's much more stable and fun now.

Finally after a development cycle that was delayed for over a year, the DayZ Standalone is out. And guess what? It's buggy as poo poo, but that's to be expected. This the warning you're greeted with on the Steam Store page:

:siren::siren:

What is DayZ?

DayZ is a zombie survival MMO "sim". I know, I know: zombies are a tired trope and have come to symbolize themselves in some sort of Ouroboros of bad game design. But trust me, this game is different. DayZ is a roguelike game where you must scrounge zombie-infested* towns for food and ammo and fend for your life against other players. This is the zombie game you've been dreaming of, and even though there's been copycats, no other game has been so good yet so broken as DayZ.

*zombie infestation not yet implemented

Why do you keep playing this? I heard it's garbage.

It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy DayZ. It is a roguelike, so you must be able to tolerate losing everything you've worked for after putting hours into the game. There's also a lot of running around in dark woods looking for beans, so you must also be able to tolerate tedium for little reward. The most riveting aspect of DayZ, though, is the PvP. No other game comes close to giving you the kind of adrenaline rush you get from engaging in player combat in DayZ. It somehow hit that perfect mark, and there's a lot of thrill in the chase. The easiest way to describe it is that you're literally hunting other other players, or people are hunting you. DayZ hit the perfect mark combining a unique atmosphere, zombies that cannot be ignored, and unrivaled player combat. Squad combat is fun and often leads to hilarious failure, but sometimes glorious victory.

Stealth, patience, and the will to die repeatedly is all you need to survive.

What's new in the Standalone?

First of all, the reason why it's called the Standalone is because you needed to have ARMA II Combined Ops to play the original DayZ mod. It's now released as a standalone game in its own engine made to handle an MMO-style game.

Here are the key features of the Standalone:

• Much greater hack protection - the info available to players is very limited and players cannot execute commands the sever must obey, therefore curtails hacking that plagued the mod
  • Reworked inventory system - drag-and-drop modern, sane inventory system
  • New animations - still a work in progress, but already the animations in the standalone look much better than the mod. Feels much less jankity
  • Reworked server architecture - the DayZ Mod tried to turn a military tryhard sim into a zombie MMO. The Standalone can now actually accomplish that task.
  • Clothing and uniforms - you can accessorize and play dress-up! This doesn't sound like much, but it does wonders for identifying friend or foe

I scored ISTP on my Myers-Briggs, what am I getting into?

Well one thing you can expect is

but really not all the time. Most of the time, when playing with goons, it will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKdgKO0CBg4

and sound like this

and if you like long range combat it will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuISzF1wDwo

most of all, we like to let our tips touch:

Is it worth $30 right now?

Currently, it depends on what $30 is worth for you. Don't count on it being on sale on Steam anytime soon, and according to Rocket, the price will go up as development continues, so right now this may be the cheapest you can buy into DayZ for quite some time. The game is very buggy still. If you can tolerate an actual alpha, and have the cash to spare, then go for it.

I get it, this is an "alpha", but it's still broken and I paid $30!

Yes, we get it. If you complain about bugs in this thread most likely someone will come back and say "it's an alpha". However, since it's public and available for purchase, it goes against every practical definition of the term "alpha". I can't stress this enough: If you buy this game it's buggy and broken, but it's a lot of fun to play if you're willing to overlook the bugs. It's easier to play if you play with Goons.

When will this game be good?

The game is already fun to play if you have the tolerance for an honest-to-god alpha. It's not a demo of the full capabilities of the game, nor is it even close to showcasing completed features. Things are being tweaked and added nearly daily, but here is a roadmap of short and medium-term development:

quote:

There is a great deal of topics dealing with this, so I thought I would confirm what we will definately be doing, and give some background why they are not in yet. List not exhaustive and will be added too as time allows.

More Zombies

Target delivery: Ongoing

We absolutely plan to have more zombies. To cope with the current total dynamic entity count of over 10000 we have had to make a great deal of optimizations. If loot is completely removed, we can easily run 4000 zombies in our debug builds. In the new year we will be optimizing the way we handle dynamic objects (such as loot) a great deal more which should give us significant savings - but the change was considered too risky to be done prior to alpha launch. If we had problems, we would have delayed the project further by months.

Multithreaded Server

Target delivery: Early 2014 Ongoing (lol)

To assist with increasing player and zombie numbers, we will be parallelizing the server architecture. Currently RV does offload some extra threads off to other cores, but this is for rendering and file handling - neither of which are issues for the dedicated server which uses no rendering and has a greatly reduced file footprint. This should provide some very, very dramatic improvement in performance where additional cores are available. Note, however, that this will increase the complexity of hosting DayZ - it may mean that we see a greater dispersion in the capacities of DayZ servers.

Respawning Zombies & Loot

Target Delivery: Early 2014 (lol)

Currently to have the server check if something needs respawning can cause an issue with performance. We did not want to go with a "scripted" solution for respawning, and it is expensive on server performance. Player spawning on the coast is conducted by the engine, and we are going to employ a similar process for managing zombie and loot spawn (possibly parallelized). This is a high priority task and zombie respawn at least is very close to being implemented.

Server Management Options

Target Delivery: Ongoing

Additional options for those hosting servers will be rolled out as soon as we can. We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc... In addition, we also want to provide passworded servers that will operate on their own shard of the database. This shard could be grouped, so that a group of passworded servers could operate on their own database. Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ to meet specific communities needs.

Animals & Hunting

Target Delivery: Early 2014 (welp)

The AI for animals is based on the new AI for zombies (some will notice the old local ambient animals making zombie noises and acting aggressively!). We have a cutdown version of this we will be using for hosting animals, including those from ArmA2 as well as new animals such as a deer. We already have the meat models made, and we have the basics of cooking. So this functionality is quite close. It does have an impact on the server, and at the moment we could only run about 300 animals per server without seriously impacting performance (until we have started additional server optimization).

Additional Anti-hack and Security

Target Delivery: Late 2013 (double welp)

We are working on additional anti-hack to supplement the implementation of VAC. We have been working closely with Valve for VAC as well as our other anti-hack partner. Details of this will be released shortly. The most important thing to remember is that anti-hack is really the secondary defense - the primary defense should be good architecture. We have already identified (and fixed) several key vulnerabilities in the three days since launch. There are more we know about and I am sure more we don't. The purpose of this early phase of alpha is to identify and fix those. As our architecture now relies on the server controlling and adjudicating everything, we can close off locally controlled functions and back doors - which is what we have been doing.

Cooking Gathering Resources

Target Delivery: Early 2014 (heh)

This is a system that was not completed prior to the alpha launch so is half-done. Additional work will be done and pushed when we can. This will include gas cookers (already ingame) and the creation of fireplaces. We will be allowing players to gather resources from the world, such as firewood, stones, etc... This will then be utilized by the existing crafting system.

Help, I'm starving and thirsty and bleeding and I don't know how to jump over a low fence!

First off, when you spawn you are extremely thirsty and hungry. If you stuff your face and drink a lot of water, you should be good to go for hours without having to eat or drink. The best way to do this is to do the following:

1. Eat first. Find food and eat it until it says you are "energized" in the inventory screen. If you don't have a can opener, you can use a knife, screwdriver, bayonet, or an axe to open the cans of food. However, you will spill some of the contents of the can out while doing so, so it's less efficient.

2. After you are "energized", go find a water pump and drink until it says you are stuffed. Be careful not to drink so much you start puking. Once you see the yellow "stuffed" indicator you need to stop consuming things. You will know you are hydrated when you see a "hydrated" status in your inventory in addition to your energized status

3. Carry a minimal amount of food and water with you. Unlike the mod, you don't have to eat and drink as much, so you're better off consuming everything you find and then keeping a can of beans and a canteen in case of an emergency.

Additional help with movement and inventory courtesy of a cheeky bastard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBcu49O4Xyk

Here's a nice video on first aid as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URJdMRrnypI&sns=em

More info on food poisoning and avoiding infection:

schizopol posted:

Preventing poisoning isn't as necessary right now, anyways cooking isn't properly implemented.

Try to avoid ruined gear, unruined clothing grants you significant resistances. If medical supplies are ruined, it isn't always permanent: IV's and the stuff which combines with them can be saved, but they must be joined with an unruined counterpart. These supplies should remain uncombined for as long as possible. Always check your supplies shortly after a firefight.

Where to find guns:

The easiest place to find guns is at airfields and military bases. However, the closest accessible bases from spawn are highly trafficked death holes so if you are new to the game we highly recommend avoiding them until you have a grasp on combat and evasion. Airfields are so chock full of weapons I'm not even going to bother listing where to find them.

However, there are slightly safer, non-military sites where you can find guns and ammo:

Firestations and Police stations (not pictured) - Very high chance to spawn pistols and pistol ammunition, the roof of the tower also has a great chance to spawn a pistol and some ammo and many people don't bother to check it out, the ladders are potentially dangerous and snipers often camp in positions overlooking these buildings and try to shoot at people on the roof or in the tower, so be quick about it and don't remain stationary for more than a second or two while inside them. Police stations have cop cars in front of them and have a little turret (as in the medieval definition of a turret) on top. Spiral staircase going up the middle.

School buildings - The top room at the top floor is guaranteed to spawn a firearm, has pretty solid chance to spawn 7.62 ammo and PU scopes. The top roof also occasionally spawns ammo and attachments. These are particularly worth your while as they might spawn any rifle in the game, including M4s which are otherwise military only.

Beige Mansions (green balcony) - Low chance of spawning a mosin on the first floor, either on the piano or on the shelves beneath the stairs, pretty good chance of fireaxes as well.

Red/Green (not pictured) two story houses - no chance to spawn guns but a pretty decent chance for ammunition. Also good for medical supplies. The green house is a dark green but the same model as the red house.

Wrecked Sedans - The blue ones for some reason seem to have a much higher chance to spawn mosins than any other variety. Sometimes they spawn fireaxes as well. wrecked vans don't spawn anything and are a waste of time.

Storage lockers - no chance of guns or ammo but a pretty good chance to find PU scopes, bipods and other attachments.

The shipwreck - found between Berezino and Guba bay, as previously discussed in this thread, has a chance to spawn rifles.

My performance is pretty bad

Again, early alpha and it's bound to improve with patches, but here's some tips from a jerk:

quote:

Additionally and perhaps more importantly, I've managed to significantly improve my FPS as well as achieve borderless fullscreen mode by following the old ARMA2 tricks.

in Documents\DayZ\ edit the DayZ.cfg file, change GPU_MaxFramesAhead value to 1, same for GPU_DetectedFramesAhead

for fullscreen borderless change WinX and WinY to 0, and WinW and WinH to your resolution. Change Windowed to 1.

Additionally, reducing the view distance seems to really help performance, in Documents\DayZ Other Profiles\%YOUR PROFILE%\%YOUR PROFILE%.DayZProfile edit "ViewDistance" to some lower value, I used 1600, some dude on youtube also recommends changing "SceneComplexity" to 150000.

If you still get choppy performance disable anti-aliasing and lower your 'rendering' settings.

I found a bug

Look for existing bug reports, and create new bug reports here: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/my_view_page.php

Map?

You got it: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

Ok, I'm sold and I want to play with goons!

Join us for fun times and singalongs!

We make friends along the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xodNfnIHcVA

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/21e31p/the_picture_i_promised_the_group_who_betrayed_me/

Get Mumble and join us:

Baby Cakes posted:

:siren: HEY! READ THIS POST :siren:

Thanks to the administrator of Kentucky Fried Server, Mustard Plant, he has given us a mumble instance of our own to gently caress about with.

I've divided the mumble into two major categories - one locational group for people on the same server, and a squad group for independent ops on different servers or people who just like squad channels. The location channels are divided into the major regions, and then divided further into the larger cities that define those zones. It's not strictly divided into quadrants, it's based on where players tend to gravitate.

It's a pain in the rear end to keep swapping channels, so join the channel of the city you are currently in or plan on going to. If you're just loving about in the general area, join the region's root channel. I've also included a general staging area if you want to idle there waiting for people to pop into the server.

I understand this presents a problem for newbies who are completely loving lost and have no idea how to read the map, so

:siren: HERE IS THE DANG MAP :siren: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus :siren: LEARN THIS MAP :siren:

Until everyone gets familiar with the map we will probably have newbies bouncing about. In the meantime, you can always use squad channels. Please give me feedback on how this works as you guys use it. I don't want to add to many channels, but I don't want to just divide the map into nebulous "North/South/East/West" zones either because players don't gravitate to quadrants, they gravitate towards cities.

One suggestion I do have is if you know where you're going and travelling alone, switch to the channel for the city you're traveling to rather than switching once you arrive.

:siren: THE MUMBLE SERVER ADDRESS IS AVAILABLE IN THE OP OF THIS PRIVATE GAMES THREAD :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606308

Please right click on your name and register to make sure you snag the username you want.

:10bux: And while you're at it, please donate to KFS as a thank you for hosting our Mumble! :10bux:

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonz2electricboogaloo

Since there's been a rush of new goons playing, there's a lot of newbies running around. When playing in mumble with goons, it's best to practice some loose comms discipline and effective communications to avoid friendly fire. Situations can turn from good to poo poo in about 3 seconds during player encounters, so here's some guidelines to follow to keep things tight:

quote:

1. :siren:GOON WIGGLE:siren:

When goons spot an unfamiliar player, you will hear them shout "Goon wiggle". When you hear this, mash the lean buttons (Q and E) alternately so your player wiggles left and right. I don't care if you know you're 200 meters away or that you're not the target. You WIGGLE. This avoids 99% of friendly fire incidents and has become one of our best practices. You use it too. When you see an unfamiliar player, DON'T say "who's this" or "hey who is the guy on the.." NO JUST SAY 'GOON WIGGLE'. It takes one second and is extremely helpful.

2. Keep comms clear when engaging in PvP

Goons will shout "check check" "mic check" "clear comms" or "SHUT UP" when something important is happening. When you hear it, stop talking and wait for all clear. This is the time when only important information about enemy player positions are communicated. Don't talk about what loot you're finding. Don't ask what backpack is bigger. Don't tell everyone you're dead repeatedly. Communication is the biggest advantage for groups, not numbers, and simple comms discipline goes a long way.
We're not looking for DELTA BRAVO ACTUAL COPY TWO NINER but basic comms discipline and knowing how to call a target even without distance will go a long way, and is not too much to ask.

3. Break into squads/fire teams of no more than 5 or 6. Less is more.

There's a reason why most militaries have fire teams and squads. They didn't just pick a number and go with it, there's psychology behind keeping groups small. Humans just work better that way. Call it milsperg if you like but it gets the job done. I cannot stress this enough, the game will go smoother if you keep your squads small, but occasional 10-man goon herds can be pulled off if everyone follows good coms discipline.

4. Learn how to spot targets

When you see an enemy player, call it out. However, do it in a way that is informative. Use landmarks, cardinal directions, and rough distances to let people know where the target is.

Examples of good ways to spot a target:

"Player north side of the airfield, between the two hangars"

"Guy just ran into the supermarket on the west side of Cherno"

"He's in the long brown barn on the south side of town"

"Guy in the treeline north of us, about 200 meters"

Examples of bad ways to spot a target:

"I see a guy in the trees."

"Player running down the street towards me"

"I see a sniper on the hill"

"Player over there, by the two rocks? The rock that looks like a dog."

Again, all of this comes with experience. After you play for a while, everyone knows what long barns are. Everyone learns what firestations are. Everyone learns what the layout of the airfields are like. "South barracks" becomes a specific place. You will pick this up as you gain experience, but the best thing to keep in mind when communicating is to be as precise and objective as possible. You are the only one who can see from your perspective. A player 5 meters to the left of you may not be able to see what you're looking at, therefore use cardinal directions, specific landmarks, and rough distances. Most of all, keep it brief. If someone asks you to clarify, and you're panicked about getting shot, just relax and try again to describe it better. You'll hear vets sarcastically snap at you if you are calling targets like an idiot, but that's because we've all gotten proficient at spotting and it's frustrating to have to keep repeating things when time is precious. Don't sweat it, just keep practicing and don't take it personally of Sawchuck calls you an idiot.

5. Don't be a dick

DayZ is a tense game, a lot of its avid players will say no other game gives them the same rush as the PvP action in DayZ. So in addition to Goons being Goons, some people get really pissy when they die or when people gently caress up. Don't berate newbies, don't get angry if you die. You will die, you will lose all your loot, there will be completely bullshit moments where you glitch through a ladder and lose that pristine equipment to the DayZ engine. It happens.

6. No not believin' in yourself

DayZ is hard, and as the counter to rule 5: sometimes you feel dumb for making newbie mistakes or because you can't shoot a target. The map is large and it's hard to memorize all the weird town names. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't feel bad when you screw the pooch. You'll get better.

But ahuj9, I don't like all this milsperg bullshit. I just want to run around and have fun!

We have posters pop up and say this in the thread on occasion and I have two responses to this. 1: We don't use "tango actual niner" comms, we just follow the loose and easy rules above to keep comms organized. 2: You can play how you like, but in order to stay organized and survive you need a basic structure to comms.

Do you want an example of what happens when you suck at comms and situational awareness when you try to play as a group? Here's a video from literally hitler himself infiltrating a Reddit Elite SnypaWulf 420 clan. While you watch him wreck their squad single-handedly from a concealed position, listen to the panic and disorganization in their group:

Nice piece of fish posted:

:siren: Drop what you're loving doing and watch this poo poo, RIGHT NOW :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx5SsVx2XZc

Holy loving poo poo Umdre, movie of the year 10/10. I have no words.

HOW TO NOT PLAY THE GAME.MOV

Where's the old thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549597

This is broke as gently caress, I just want to play a working DayZ

Yeah, it is broken as gently caress. Sorry you read all this above. It was fun for a while, but since it's taking forever to fix it's not going to be good for a few months. In the meantime we're playing Overpoch.

Purchase ARMA II Combined Ops, download and install them, then launch ARMA II and ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead once each, individually: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4638/

Then follow these instructions:

Baby Cakes fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Rocket really must have a hard on for making games unplayable. This is all you need to watch to see what it's like to play the SA right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HrJilElR6w

Even that DayzDB link almost all the messages you get overlap with hunger and thirst so you just end up having to carry a billion drinks and food. Even then you're just going to die of being slightly tired, from breaking into a 30 second light jog.

Szcwczuk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 17, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Eat the rotten apple.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Baby Cakes posted:

Is it worth $30 right now?

I thought about it this way:
-The price is supposedly going to go up
-It probably won't go on sale for a long time
-I've paid more in advance for preorders, and this gives you an actual game
-$30? That's only like 6 starbucks coffees :smug:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Szcwczuk posted:

Even that DayzDB link almost all the messages you get overlap with hunger and thirst so you just end up having to carry a billion drinks and food. Even then you're just going to die of being slightly tired, from breaking into a 30 second light jog.

Yeah the exhaustion system is bullshit atm.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

Szcwczuk posted:

Rocket really must have a hard on for making games unplayable. This is all you need to watch to see what it's like to play the SA right now.

We'll see what happens now that Rocket has the standalone he's been coddling for years. Hopefully the DayZ dev team has enough drive to suffocate his bad ideas and get the fixes and balances in that need to be done to make the game fun and enjoyable.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Baby Cakes posted:

We'll see what happens now that Rocket has the standalone he's been coddling for years. Hopefully the DayZ dev team has enough drive to suffocate his bad ideas and get the fixes and balances in that need to be done to make the game fun and enjoyable.

We can all rest easy hes currently working on vomiting, I'm glad his priority's are still totally mismanaged. It's not a good idea to add new content when the poo poo you have now is super broken. What really gets to me is the fact that he had been saying, for the better part of a year now that "I can't release standalone until it's up to my standards" I just didn't think his standards would be so low.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Szcwczuk posted:

The problem isn't the system, but that you start out hungry, thirsty and tired. When you are full on all parameters, you don't really have to think about it.

Also it's an alpha.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hey well, at least we won't have people running around with ESP and aimbots ruining the game for the law-abiding goons right? :supaburn:

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

Szcwczuk posted:

We can all rest easy hes currently working on vomiting, I'm glad his priority's are still totally mismanaged. It's not a good idea to add new content when the poo poo you have now is super broken. What really gets to me is the fact that he had been saying, for the better part of a year now that "I can't release standalone until it's up to my standards" I just didn't think his standards would be so low.

Probably has something to do with BI saying "release the loving game already".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Trump posted:

The problem isn't the system, but that you start out hungry, thirsty and tired. When you are full on all parameters, you don't really have to think about it.

Also it's an alpha.

An alpha for a game that has kinda sorta been in alpha for a few years via a mod. I think the complaint is that the new systems basically suck and he is wasting time trying to make them work when he should have been squashing bugs and getting the game running on the stand alone engine in the first place.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

Szcwczuk posted:

Haha, wonderful. I mean, it was a bit odd before that you could spawn and run at full speed straight to Castle Zub without slowing for food, drink, or rest. But it's like Rocket in my experience to swing to wild extremes when he perceives a problem. Next, in response to the feedback, he'll make it so survivors are so efficient at surviving that beans have the energy density of plutonium and you'll only need one can to run your character for 150 years ± 50 years.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The default mouse settings are friggin' insane. :psyduck:

Is it really impossible to disable mouse acceleration?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

ToastyPotato posted:

An alpha for a game that has kinda sorta been in alpha for a few years via a mod. I think the complaint is that the new systems basically suck and he is wasting time trying to make them work when he should have been squashing bugs and getting the game running on the stand alone engine in the first place.

Yeah this is exactly it. I've had people combat logging on me and sinking their bodies after I kill them, these thing have all been more or less fixed in the mod a poo poo load of the issues were seeing in the stand alone game have been fixed many moons ago by the mod team or by other branches like DayZero.

alr
May 14, 2009
I can't disable mouse acceleration either, and coming back to this from Arma 3 really highlights how awful the movement and aiming in Arma 2 felt. I haven't really followed news for the stand alone version too closely, are there any plans to update the movement and lighting to Arma 3 levels sometime down the road?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd be fine if Rocket just left to do his dumb ultra-realistic climbing game and left everyone else to make a fun DayZ standalone, instead of prototyping the climbing game within DayZ.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

alr posted:

I can't disable mouse acceleration either, and coming back to this from Arma 3 really highlights how awful the movement and aiming in Arma 2 felt. I haven't really followed news for the stand alone version too closely, are there any plans to update the movement and lighting to Arma 3 levels sometime down the road?

I'm not sure about the movement, but Rocket mentioned on Reddit that the mouse acceleration is something they are going to fix soon. http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t1ige/dayz_mouse_acceleration/ce3e9pl

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Expect to lose your character at random when logging in to servers.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'd play this if I was sure I could run it. In the mod version I remember getting a good FPS but there was awful input delay.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Logged off with a backpack full of medical supplies, fuel, and batteries... logged back on to a 5x5 grid of empty squares, instead! Don't get too attached to things you keep in your backpack. Same old DayZ.:v:

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Orv posted:

I'd be fine if Rocket just left to do his dumb ultra-realistic climbing game and left everyone else to make a fun DayZ standalone, instead of prototyping the climbing game within DayZ.

I hope they change the food/drink system. If a day is going to last 24 hours, my character doesn't need to eat and drink every 10 minutes.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Rocket said about a half hour ago there will be a placeholder system in the next update.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t38ik/suggestion_for_supplemental_information_starving/

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

A placeholder replacing the placeholder?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have a can of sardines in my inventory and I can't seem to make my useless character eat them. I've tried dragging them onto my face, equipping them in my hands etc. Nothing seems to work.

HeyChochachos!
Dec 8, 2005
Ray Smuckles: He gets things done.
Open them shits. Need a can opener though, axe is too dull.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Gunder posted:

I have a can of sardines in my inventory and I can't seem to make my useless character eat them. I've tried dragging them onto my face, equipping them in my hands etc. Nothing seems to work.

You just right click on them to open the can, if you can't do that then you need to find the rarest thing in the game.......a can opener.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I suspected that might be the case. Is there any point in carrying around books and pens, or are they just junk?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Put this in the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBcu49O4Xyk

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The last time I played this game (the mod anyway) there were millions of zombies everywhere. I didn't see one single zombie during a two hour playthrough today. Have they been toned down a bit?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I think this is a must buy at this price point if you have any interest in the genre. As mentioned, in time we will have other modders turning this into the game we all want, no matter what flavor of dayz you prefer. Op dat.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Gunder posted:

The last time I played this game (the mod anyway) there were millions of zombies everywhere. I didn't see one single zombie during a two hour playthrough today. Have they been toned down a bit?

There aren't a lot to begin with and they don't respawn until the server resets.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gunder posted:

Zombies are way, way down while they "confirm server performance".

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Gunder posted:

People have been saying there is a bug where they are spawning underground. I've heard some zombie noises nearby but they aren't anywhere to be seen. I've only played an hour or so, and I only saw 1 zombie.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The central loot server is deffinitely bugged, I just ran around for 45 minutes on one of the european servers without finding a single loot item, noot even junk items or a rotten fruit. Of course I'm now lying unconcious in Novy after having switched servers (and still not finding anything).

I wonder if it's at all possible to wake up from an exhaustion induced loss of consciousness.

The fact that items only respawn when the server restarts is also a poor design choice. I'm betting that people will monitor server restarts and flock to servers after restarts to pick the high-loot areas and clean, regardless it seems unnecesarily punishing for newspawns to be forced to dash in-land just cause they spawned 3 hours or so after restart, loot can be regenerated in a random manner, just don't make it as exploitable as it was in the mod.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
How does this compare to Rust? They both look quite similar but I only want to try one death simulator

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Are all the servers operating off the same clock or something? I've just joined several servers in Europe/the US and it was dark in all of them... seems pretty ridiculous to set your day/night cycle so it forces a big chunk of your playerbase to piss about with torches and/or their gamma settings to be able to play

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Yeah sadly it's going to be night time on every server for like another 12 hours.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

So primetime US where I'd wager a majority of its players are will be in darkness? Why are all servers synced to New Zealand time?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Because Rocket, that's why. Fuckin' jerk.

I'm going to go ahead and preemptively buy this poo poo, because I actually want to play the standalone later and I know they're gonna up the price the minute this is remotely playable. But I'm not going to do it with my happy face on. No siree bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aga Mbadi
Jun 14, 2011

guggs posted:

People have been saying there is a bug where they are spawning underground. I've heard some zombie noises nearby but they aren't anywhere to be seen. I've only played an hour or so, and I only saw 1 zombie.

That's actually just the sound glitching out, causing you to hear zombies that are miles away as if they were right behind you.