Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

(Old thread here.)

4J's port of Mojang's Minecraft is no longer an xbox 360 exclusive! Console players can now enjoy Notch's mildly brain damaged baby on Sony consoles as well.

Release status:
PC: Out (and this is the thread for it)
Xbox 360: Out
Playstation 3: Out
Playstation Vita: TBA
Xbox One: TBA
Playstation 4: TBA
Ouya: I put this on the list as a joke but now that I think about it I'm pretty sure an Ouya port of Minecraft has been announced. So... TBA.

Also note that the iOS and Android games titled "Minecraft: Pocket Edition" are not the same port, and largely not worth checking out. For on-the-go mining and crafting, why not give SurvivalCraft (iOs|and) a try?

What the gently caress is Minecraft?
Hahahahaha, okay. Nobody's asking this. But just in case... Minecraft is 3D block-building game. You're placed in a randomly-generated worldmade of various types of blocks and given no objective. There are things to do (and even a boss to fight), but primarily your goal is to do whatever you feel like and build some cool things.

Minecraft has two modes of play: Survival and Creative. Creative mode is like being handed an infinite box of legos - you have an unlimited amount of every block and item in the game, including some that aren't normally available to mess around with in survival, and the ability to fly. Survival is the real meat of the game, though. In survival you start with nothing and must build your way up the tech tree manually, using only what you can find and craft yourself.

What's the difference between Minecraft on consoles and PC?
Let's be honest here: if you have a decent PC and want to play Minecraft, that's probably where you want to play it. The biggest difference between the PC and console versions is that the PC version has more content and gets updated more often. 4J has been updating the console version(s) steadily, and promises eventual feature parity with the PC version, but for now expect to be perpetually several major updates away from PC. Other differences include reworked controls and UI to play nice with consoles, improved multiplayer experience, smaller worlds (for less load on the console), and microtransactions (because everyone loves those, right?). 4J also promises console-exclusive features in the future, although details are still hazy on what those might be. oh, and you spawn with a map instead of empty-handed. Yay?

Woah, did I see you say "microtransactions?" Hold the phone, here.
Yep. Microtransactions. 4J offers a few different types of purchasable items for Minecraft, including Skin Packs, Texture Packs, and "Mash-up Packs" (which contain a texture pack, a skin pack, altered music and sound effects when using the texture pack, and a themed pre-built world). All of these are completely optional, do not segregate the playerbase, and have available trials to use them for free in a limited capacity. Sure, the PC players get all of this (and more) for free via modding, but the console environment is significantly less friendly toward modding and this is the best overall compromise for both parties.

Server List
Since the console versions of Minecraft operate on a P2P basis rather than traditional servers, people have been creating "servers" by simply starting a game and leaving it open to friends for long periods of time. Here's an up-to-date (to the best of my ability)list of who is currently running such servers.

360:
ramenpower
brothesula

PS3:
parkingtigersx

Minecraft Wiki
Here ya go. Note that there are tons of Minecraft wikis around, and that most of them (including this one) cover primarily the PC version of the game. That means that they may discuss items or blocks that don't exist yet on the consoles or refer to exploits that haven't cropped up yet.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Your first day/night in Minecraft
Minecraft is not a difficult game by any means, but because of the open-ended nature, people often find that when playing Survival mode for the first time the first few day cycles are particularly brutal. Here's what you need to know. In Minecraft, monsters spawn based on light level. This means that dark places are dangerous, which means that night time is bad news. When you first start playing, your priority should be to start punching trees for wood, then using that wood to build (in this order) a crafting table, a wooden axe to cut down more trees, and a home. Your first home should be extremely small and cramped with a one-block hole in the cieling or wall for observation. You should probably also block it in entirely rather than leaving a doorway. Retreat into your hovel when night comes and use your observation hole to tell when it is daytime again. The cramped quarters prevent monsters from spawning in your house even though it's dark. Waiting out night is going to be boring, but you should only need to do it once, since you can spend the following day searching for coal to create torches and the next night expanding your home or digging for ores in relative safety. As a new player, going out at night will lead to death, and dropping all of your possessions outside where you can't safely reach them may be overwhelming at first.

Common Gameplay Questions (in no particular order):

How do I tame a dog/wolf?
Find some bones (they drop from killed skeletons), and take them to a wolf. With a bone in your hand, press the displayed button to feed the bone to the wolf and tame him. Some wolves will take several bones to tame. You'll know you're successful when hearts pop up over the wolf's head and it starts to follow you around.

How do I tame a cat/ocelot?
Ocelots will run away from you in the wild, so the key is slow movement. Once you manage to get fairly close to one, hold out a raw fish (use a fishing rod in any body of water to get one) and stand still. The Ocelot will eventually wander over to you and beg for the fish. Give it to him and he will transform into a cat. This may occasionally take more than one fish.

How do I trap/tame/breed other animals?
Livestock animals will despawn if you get too far away from them, for the purpose of allowing new ones to spawn in other places. However, animals with less than 20 blocks total of potential space to move around in will never despawn. Therefor, keeping animals is a fairly simple matter of trapping them to a confined space. Make sure the borders of your cage are at least two blocks high or made of fences (despite being one block in height visually, fences claim the block above them if it's not already filled). You can lead animals around by approaching them with the appropriate food, and put them in "love mode" by feeding them. Animals in "love mode" will mate with another adult animal of the same species who is also in love mode, producing a baby. Sheep deserve special mention here, as they require grass to regrow wool. Sheep will also breed appropriately-colored children, and can be dyed permanantly so that they (and their children) will continue to produce colored wool.

Here's a handy list of what each animal likes to eat:
Cow - Wheat
Sheep - Wheat
Chicken - Wheat Seeds
Wolf/Dog - Raw Beef
Ocelot/Cat - Raw Fish
Mooshroom - Wheat

Help! Achievements/Trophies aren't unlocking!
In order to unlock achievements or trophies, you must be playing in Survival mode. Additionally, the save file you're playing on must never have been saved in Creative mode before. In short, no cheating!

What should I be doing?
Whatever you want! But more seriously, if you aren't sure what to do next, you should probably work on advancing your tech tree. Upgrade your wooden tools to stone tools, your stone tools to iron, and so forth. A good goal to work towards, if you need something to aim for, is to open a portal to the nether, which in the short term will require a diamond pickaxe with which to mine the required obsidian.

How do I build a Nether Portal?
You'll need at least 10 blocks of obsidian and a flint & steel. Build a frame that looks like one of the two below out of obsidian (the corners are optional), then light the center with the flint & steel.

code:
XXXX    xx 
X  X   x  x
X  X   x  x
x  x   x  x
XXXX    xx
How do I (do anything with redstone)?
Hoo boy. Try looking here.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 17, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's up on PSN, and now sitting on the loading screen on my PS3. Time to dig.

An important thing to note is that all the console versions have the same feature set in terms of game content. Also, that game content is about 12 months behind the PC version. At the time of this post, the PC is running version 1.7, but the 360 and PS3 are running a version that is pretty much equivalent to PC's 1.2 more or less. We're playing catch-up, and always will be, but 4J studios have been doing a fine job of porting so far. Just enjoy what you have, be patient, and all the Minecraft features will be yours in time.

No the console versions cannot connect or interact with the PC version in any way.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 17, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I plan on digging soon when I get home (God this traffic sucks).

For anyone playing on ps3, me and parking tigers will be setting up a server to help get most (if not all) of the trophies. We'll probably move to vita and ps3 eventually, so the ps3 is just for a quick fix and get whatever trophies we can.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I have almost enough iron to make the railway. Just need like another 10 ore blocks and it should be good to go. Laying down a foundation track right now.

I also spent the extra dollar to get the Xmas skin pack because goddamn if I'm going back to using the 8 default skins.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Parkingtigers posted:

I have almost enough iron to make the railway. Just need like another 10 ore blocks and it should be good to go. Laying down a foundation track right now.

I also spent the extra dollar to get the Xmas skin pack because goddamn if I'm going back to using the 8 default skins.

How much longer you playing? I'll probably hop in your game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm fading fast, but I'll get my second wind if you hop on. Message me when you are online and I'll send an invite.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm fading fast, but I'll get my second wind if you hop on. Message me when you are online and I'll send an invite.

Hold up for a few minutes more and I'll be on. Almost home but gotta download and install the game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Console specific wiki here:

http://minecraft360.wikia.com/wiki/Minecraft:_Xbox_360_Edition_Wiki

A couple of pages are worded pretty unhelpfully but it's pretty up to date with the latest 360 version.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

For 360, Samswing (GT: Brothusela) has been hosting a server on and off for months, so put that in the OP.

I spent a large chunk of today in his world working on an Enderman farm in the End. It's coming along quite well, aside from me dying something like 30 times while working on it. Should be done in another two or three days, and I'll have an enchanting table and a chest full of diamond tools and weapons nearby for people who want specific enchantments.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Thanks to some help from Ineffiable I have a save file setup for the PS3 railway trophy. Good to get that one out of the way as it's still annoying as hell. Anyone who needs it, just buzz ParkingtigersX on PSN and I'll invite you in for a ride.

We spent some time looking for seeds afterwards, because not all worlds are created equal. I think I have found my new permanent world. The seed is: Ni no Kuni

It spawns you on a beach, in a nice natural looking curve of the coast. You are right next to a small coastal village. To your right, the plains turn into a dark brooding coastal swamp. Straight ahead, across a river, is a snowy hill. To the left, in the distance, are tall jungle trees. There are also two of them, standing completely alone right at the water's edge that would make perfect watch towers. Having flown around in creative, I can promise you some great features and kickass terrain all over the world. I'm going to fortify, defend and expand this fishing village and use it as my base of operations.

No voice chat on PS3 yet, which is a downer as it's not the same game without some people to shoot the poo poo with, but that's probably coming later.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

And if anyone wants to play with me, psn ID is Ineffiablefx. I'll be starting a world that'll at least try to have decent setups to get most, if not, all of the trophies.

I'll be on practicality all weekend this weekend so of you wanna jump in, just friend me.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
I've had a game running on the xbox for over a month now(minds last week where I decided to blast through saints row 4) and I've had a lot of awesome goons building lots of awesome stuff. Up until January 1st I'll be running my xbox into the ground. Moving at the end of the month and I'm unsure how long until I set up Internet but hopefully there won't be too hiccups. Gt ramenpower.

glmartin92
Dec 13, 2013
I've noticed Minecraft servers are run by players too. Is there a "central server" for the main game when playing on the consoles or do you have to find a player run server?

Any more news on when its due out on xbone?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

glmartin92 posted:

I've noticed Minecraft servers are run by players too. Is there a "central server" for the main game when playing on the consoles or do you have to find a player run server?

Any more news on when its due out on xbone?

There's no server, really, it's a P2P game. People are hosting "servers" by just leaving their consoles on 24/7 and hosting a multiplayer game for people to jump into. There are no official servers, no server browser, and no matchmaking. Server hosts don't have many tools at their command or anything, either, just simple "kick, ban, become invisible" stuff. Also, only friends and friends-of-friends can join games (the latter being optionally disable-able), so you can't wander into random games, either. It's a pretty strict system, and I imagine a lot of it was governed my Microsoft because of their pretty strict player-created content rules. Mostly to avoid having children accidentally walk into a world filled with enormous 3D dongs and swastikas.

e: This is all info on the console version; the PC version does have proper servers, although those are all player-run as well.

As far as the bone release goes, we don't actually know anything other than that it's going to be released. The original plan for releases was PS4 and Vita, followed by PS3. The PS4 and Vita versions were delayed, while the PS3 version was apparently not, and the Xbox One version was announced after all of those versions had been. Minecraft made Microsoft a shitload of money in sales, so I have to assume they're doing whatever they can to get the new version out the door, but it sounds like that isn't 4J's priority at the moment.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Enderman farm in Brothusela's server is done. You can now go from level 0 to level 30 in less than 5 minutes, and there's a chest full of diamond items free for the taking, so now you can get whatever enchantment on whatever item you want at any time now.

I feel like I won Minecraft.

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:

Cannot Find Server posted:

The Enderman farm in Brothusela's server is done. You can now go from level 0 to level 30 in less than 5 minutes, and there's a chest full of diamond items free for the taking, so now you can get whatever enchantment on whatever item you want at any time now.

I feel like I won Minecraft.

You may as well have. I'll throw some pictures up later on but.. :stare:

it's really, really goddamned cool!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

How's the performance of the PS3 version to the 360 version?
I have it on Xbox so I'm in no rush to buy the new version (at least, not until it's guaranteed you get either the Vita or PS4 version with it), but I'm interested since I'm recommending it to a friend who only has a PS3.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

JazzFlight posted:

I have it on Xbox so I'm in no rush to buy the new version (at least, not until it's guaranteed you get either the Vita or PS4 version with it), but I'm interested since I'm recommending it to a friend who only has a PS3.

Apart from the lack of voice chat (presumably coming later) it's pretty much exactly the same. Seems ever so slightly worse on the framerate, but this is the launch version and Xbox has had 12 patches. On the flipside, the colours seem slightly less garish and it seems to save quickly. All in all, it's 4J, they deliver the goods, and this really is pretty much exactly the same as Xbox.

Seems to have the new music. Did they add that to Xbox in the last patch? I'm noticing new tunes (finally) and the Nether music was really nice.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

Release status:
Ouya: I put this on the list as a joke but now that I think about it I'm pretty sure an Ouya port of Minecraft has been announced. So... TBA.

I'm pretty sure 4J officially said somewhere that the PS4 and PS Vita versions will be out early 2014, but I can't find it right now. :shrug:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Release status:

Ouya support at this point is a joke within Mojang. Notch has said that since it is an android platform, MCPE would be the port it would get and as of Novemeber this year Mojang has decided to distance itself from the Ouya. :P

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Zedicus Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure 4J officially said somewhere that the PS4 and PS Vita versions will be out early 2014, but I can't find it right now. :shrug:

4J have said literally nothing ever about the Vita version. They did say recently the Xbone and PS4 versions are running, but still need work. This was the same day they said the PS3 version was almost done with bug testing. The mention that the other versions are early next year came from the Mojang announcement on the PSN blog that PS3 was being released. A deliberate pre-emptive message to let people know they are still coming, but not in December so please don't ask until next year.

My guess would be bugfix patch for PS3 to give it true parity with 360 (it's always a main features update patch, then a quick bugfix patch a week or two later). Then Xbone and PS4 simultaneously. Then the Vita version.

Enzer posted:

Ouya support at this point is a joke within Mojang. Notch has said that since it is an android platform, MCPE would be the port it would get

Dear god, haven't Ouya owners suffered enough?

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 20, 2013

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

JazzFlight posted:

They obviously rushed it out before Christmas so there's definitely some extra jank. I lost a near full set of iron armor to some kind of save glitch and it hard locked on me when I got killed by a creeper. It isn't terrible but they've still got a few bugs to iron out.

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007
I first experienced this game merely as an observer playing audience to my 10 year old Korean cousin on his Ipad. How amusing. 8-Bit Legos. What do I know. I wasn't really paying attention. Well, having just recently resurrected my PSN account and spending days catching up on BLOPS II and all it's infuriating glory, I needed a change of scenery from Nuketown.
I suppose it must have been the hee-larious new South Park episode, 'Informative Murder Porn', that peaked my interest. So on a whim I purchased this game for the sheer comedic value it would undoubtedly supply during my jobless, booze-fueled christmas vacation.
I have become addicted.
I dig. I dig so hard. Oh the joy of punching trees.
Desperate for figuring out what in the flup to do next, I scoured the internet for tips and advice on getting my string biz on so I could fish.
My mind has been mind-boggled into bogglity-boop.
I am so glad I don't have a girlfriend.

I will warn you. This is not a game for indecisive people, for I have sat in my chair mindlessly watching pigs hop around, bong-hit after bong-hit.
After noticing that I smelled a bit ripe from lack of showering, I sought the guidance of my young Korean cousin. He has shown me the craft and revealed that I smell like pizza feet. I now somewhat have a grasp on what has consumed my life for 3 days and nights.

My tale aside, here's what I've determined to be glitches.
-Animals can escape the farm fortresses I build them. "Life will find a way"
-Creepers appear in daytime and assist the animals by blowing the sandstone out of my Barn Fort.
-Audio seems to have equalization issues.

PSN: Dr_Assinine

Dr Assinine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 20, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Dr Assinine posted:

My tale aside, here's what I've determined to be glitches.
-Animals can escape the farm fortresses I build them. "Life will find a way"
-Creepers appear in daytime and assist the animals by blowing the sandstone out of my Barn Fort.
-Audio seems to have equalization issues.

PSN: Dr_Assinine

Creepers spawn at night/in darkness like every other hostile mob. They just don't despawn/die in sunlight, so they will still be around until about midday before despawning. At dawn the zombies and skeletons burn, the spiders become docile, but creepers will wait outside your house waiting to gently caress you up.

Sleep at dusk to prevent them even spawning, or build a wall/fence around your home and make sure there are no dark spots inside the perimeter where they can spawn. Watch out for rooftops, any single dark block is enough to let one in.

As for the animals, yeah they are escape artists. I like to use pits myself, two blocks deep. They'll glitch through fences, they'll bumrush gates, but the buggers can't climb.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What are the differences between the console versions and PC now? My nephew is into Minecraft 360 so I bought him the redstone handbook for Christmas but now I'm worried it won't match his experience. I haven't played 360 Minecraft since like a month after launch so I dunno.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Akuma posted:

What are the differences between the console versions and PC now? My nephew is into Minecraft 360 so I bought him the redstone handbook for Christmas but now I'm worried it won't match his experience. I haven't played 360 Minecraft since like a month after launch so I dunno.

The console versions are updated to about the equivalent of PC 1.2. There was a big update and overhaul to Redstone in PC 1.5, so some things may not match, but within 6 months we should probably catch up with that. If nothing else, that book will help him to understand the concepts of Redstone and he can still experiment with it. The fundamentals should be the same at least.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
I didn't even know that book existed. I mean, you could probably learn more from watching youtube but it would still look pretty boss sitting up on the bookshelf. I'm sure your nephew will like it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm rather enjoying Minecraft on PS3, I was lucky enough to start near a village, which I destroyed for supplies to build my Desert Mansion and I'm now in the process of dismantling a Nether Fortress to make my desert base the best base ever.

Its annoying when spiders or Endermen spawn on my roof though since they don't shut the gently caress up!

PSN: JudgeTesla for anyone who wants to join me in my mass excavation of the entire world.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
They released another patch for the PS3 that fixed the sound and a few other things. I started playing Minecraft right when 1.2.5 came out so the console version is a nostalgia bomb. I forgot how productive I can be when touching a zombie doesn't result in a loving five minute siege. My only disappointment with the PS3 version so far is that jungles murder your frame rate.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Ineffiable and I got our platinum trophy on Xmas Day. Thanks to my seed being another lucky choice, with the End Portal room being about 100 blocks away from my spawn village, I had everything else ready apart from Ender Pearls. We went on a quest up north to the desert and hunted those bastards to the point of extinction.

Got to say, that dragon fight was piss easy. Went in over prepared with potions and golden apples etc. Barely broke a sweat. Didn't even read that wall of text they call an ending. Have to say though, coming at the end of a long play session where we had to work bloody hard to gather the needed reaources, killing that dragon and getting our plat trophies was a bloody nice way to draw the day to a close.

Ineffiable is a cool dude to play Minecraft with. Just don't give him buckets.

Seems a little odd now I've killed that dragon. I'm back in the "do whatever you want" part of Minecraft, which is just too much of a blank page for me sometimes. Tonight I settled for a smaller project, building a drowning trap around my skeleton spawner. It's babby's first mob grinder, so I'm pretty much just copying the designs that everyone else has ever made. Kind of proud of it though, I put some redstone lamps in the ceiling, and somehow managed to run some wire down to a lever next to the viewing window so I can turn the spawner off and on. Pretty groovy.

The spawner is right near my spawn village too, it was half exposed in a cave right at the surface. I swear, this seed was built for speed-running a go at the dragon, everything you need is right at spawn. The spawner actually had two cave openings leading to it, so I put a smaller window on the water block side so I can view the skellies from there too. Will probably put an access ladder up to the redstone wiring just in case I ever want to change something.

Still need to find melon seeds, and still need to find a slime spawning area, so got some reasons to go questing. I managed to lose all my spawn village dudes, seems my attempt to light up and fence off the village was a bit too half-assed. Even the iron golem I made hosed off somewhere. Last I saw he was wandering the woods on the snowy side of the river, no idea if he is still in the world or what. Because the stronghold, nether portal and arrow factory are all still here, I want to go on with my plan to turn this into an actual settlement. Might see about trying to get two more villagers shipped in by minecart to repopulate it. If that works in this version of the game.

Man, the game feels lonely without a couple of dozen goons dropping in constantly. I am poo poo at building, anything halfway good I made was because I was inspired by the goons building epic stuff next door. Sure hope console Minecraft picks up again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah, I may have accidentally tripped and lost a bucket of lava at some point. Or two.

And several buckets of water all over mountains.

Here's hoping it picks up for vita or ps4 or some cross play. Looking forward to more adventures with you and goons, as long as I don't have to boot up the ps3.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The console version just has a very handy list of all the crap you can build and you don't have to manually plop stuff into a tiled window according to a precise formula to get what you want. Therefore, the console version is SUPERIOR! (Well, unless I guess you use a mod for that in the UI of PC Minecraft, but anyway…)

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
Which of the xbox mashup packs is worth grabbing? Which gave the nicer castle village building blocks, the natural pack or the skyrim pack?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
The Skyrim pack has a nice variety with the colored blocks emulating decorative walls, windows and everyday items like crates. But overall its a bit drab, which I like but might not be everybody's cup of tea. The nature pack has some great vivid textures but I find the repeating stone patterns to be a bit hard on the eyes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Looking for clarification on how best to keep animals in their pens - my chickens and sheep seem to be staying put, but cows don't seem to want to stick around. The thing in the OP about pen size - does it mean 20 squares total area, or 20 squares length/width? 20 total area seems like it'd be very crowded. I read somewhere if you have glass on one wall of the pen they can escape through that, is there any truth in that? Basically I'm asking for the easiest foolproof method to ensure they don't gently caress off.

Or are they still despawning once I'm miles underground and I'm stuffed regardless?

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

20 squares of movement total. You can make this less oppressive by having individual pens for one or two animals each, if you want. Also, double-height walls is all it should take to keep the animals in. Keep the area well-lit to prevent monsters from spawning there at night.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

So, anyone still playing this?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Very occasionally, but mostly offline splitscreen with the missus or on personal projects like the flat city I'm working on.

Unfortunately I'm too much of a control freak to let other people build in my worlds or to accept the conditions building in the world's of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
I'm playing this once in a while, on Xbox

GT is SpeKeD

• Locked thread