Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

It's been a while since we finished the mental and physical thrashing that was the 20 years of Sonic LP, but since we obviously haven't learned our lesson we're proud to present our Let's Play of Sonic Lost World.

The Videos
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 1
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 2
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 3
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 4
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 5
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 6
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 7
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 8
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 9
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 10

The Game
Sonic, one the dude with 'tude, has seen some mellowing out over the last few years. Maybe the most-obviously-for-kids mainline Sonic game in... ever, Sonic Lost World is a jumble of both the classically mediocre dialog between Sonic, Tails and Doctor Robotnik Eggman and the whole new level of corny introduced by the bottom of the barrel nonsense that is The Deadly Six (props to Sonic Team for distilling these characters down to literally their most essential and obvious features). Scratch and Grounder are rolling in their graves.

Controlled by Eggman's Magic Conch these six new baddies provide lots of opportunity for fun new boss battles. Let's see how they gently caress it up.

The LPers
Kyle (19letterslong) Role: Driver
Keith (somethingdumb) Role: Navigator

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Have you not a care for your own sanity?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I really hoped that this game would be good, but it just looks so mediocre. Like it looks playable enough but why make a weird Mario Galaxy thing out of Sonic?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Can't wait to see how "for realsies" this game is.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

From what I can tell, the dialogue is just the most groan-worthy thing. It's just super cheesy like they ripped everything straight out of a poorly produced cartoon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Sega and Nintendo Hug Each Other to the Grave - Let's Play Sonic Lost World

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really like how the levels look. If all I saw was just the level itself, without sonic, this would look like a game I would want to play.

Also that title screen music is really good

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So the deadly. six... They're moddled after sins right?

Is Eggman Pride? Or is that the secret super sonic final boss?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I know it's the first time you're playing this, but you must work on your ABS.
Always Be Spindashing.

I've only played the (TERRIBLE) 3DS version so I'm curious as to how this is gonna go.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ninjewtsu posted:

I really like how the levels look. If all I saw was just the level itself, without sonic, this would look like a game I would want to play.

Also that title screen music is really good

I'm kind of iffy on it really. The whole visual style of this game seems to be an awkward balance of retro pandering and the more modern style of recent Sonic games. It's a lot more cartoony than it was before, which is definitely saying a lot. The Deadly Six (god that name sucks) look so drat out of place, too.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Great.

Gensuki posted:

So the deadly. six... They're moddled after sins right?

Is Eggman Pride? Or is that the secret super sonic final boss?
It's possible but if so, they did a terrible job.

Stink Terios posted:

I know it's the first time you're playing this, but you must work on your ABS.
Always Be Spindashing.

I've only played the (TERRIBLE) 3DS version so I'm curious as to how this is gonna go.

The spindash is really bad and basically useless.

I'm kind of iffy on it really. The whole visual style of this game seems to be an awkward balance of retro pandering and the more modern style of recent Sonic games. It's a lot more cartoony than it was before, which is definitely saying a lot. The Deadly Six (god that name sucks) look so drat out of place, too.
They don't mesh with each other or any of the surroundings or sonic or eggman. Terrible terrible terrible.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 28, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We gobba go back.

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

They don't mesh with each other or any of the surroundings or sonic or eggman. Terrible terrible terrible.

Also they're basically the villains from Space Jam so you're really not gonna like them.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So we have the Deadly Six from Planet Hex, I'm going to go out on a limb that there is something of a number 6 theme here guys. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really not digging that outer-cylinder level. That poo poo was weird when Mario did it, but when you run as fast as a Sonic, it's even worse.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

The spindash is really bad and basically useless.

You can spindash forever as long as you don't hit anything, and it's faster than running. So that's how you speedrun this game.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

So far it looks bad, but not as bad as 06. Can't stand those demon guys though, that is some awful voice acting and character design.

e: words

Portals fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 1, 2014

samimalsam
Sep 29, 2004
Ugh, this game. I play tested this thing for a week. By the end of the first day, I knew it was poo poo, but everyone else in the room was all, "No way, this is a fun game." By the end of day 2, everyone minus one person had been swayed to my side with extreme prejudice. I'm looking forward to seeing if they made any of the numerous changes I/we heavily suggested.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010
On the latest 8-4 Play podcast, they had Ethan Einhorn from Sega on and they had a short bit where they talked about why Sonic was exclusively coming out on Nintendo platforms. I think the general reasoning was something along the lines of Sonic having always sold much better on Nintendo consoles even when they were multi-platform games. I suppose the idea was to double-down on their strongest platform and spend less on development on less successful platforms for Sonic games.

The 2D levels look pretty inoffensive so far, but the 3D levels look kind of terrible so far. I'm only basing it on one of those levels so far, but they look rough and not particularly fun or interesting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno man I'm really digging the "3D levels that are obviously 2D inspired" look. I'm not a big fan of the look of old games or anything, and "retro" certainly wasn't in my mind so much as just "hey that's a creative way to lay out a level."

The deadly 6 look and sound awful though.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Amppelix posted:

You can spindash forever as long as you don't hit anything, and it's faster than running. So that's how you speedrun this game.
That's... useful i guess? I mean, there's so few times that you need to run long distances without jumping.

Portals posted:

So far it looks bad, but not as bad as 06. Can't stand those demon guys though, at is some awful voice acting and character design.
It's DEFINITELY no where near Sonic 06. This is a functional game, for sure, it's just bland as hell. Which means it isn't even funny, like S06.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This game has the most abrupt and rushed intro ever. It's like "ACTION ADVENTURE IN THE CLOUDS OH poo poo THERE'S A PLANET HERE" boom, game starts.

Since I have a Wii U, I could get this game. But...maybe I'll just get Sonic Colors instead...

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Sonic Lost World is an example of a game that really needs a sequel to shine. The control scheme is weird as hell but when it clicks it's really quite nice. The level design is all over the place and there's some really weird difficulty spikes. It's kinda like Unleashed but the good parts are not as good and the bad parts are not as bad. It just lacks... polish.

Music is excellent as always though.

Amppelix posted:

You can spindash forever if you hold the spindash button, release it to start spinning, and then press and hold the spindash button again. I might have missed a tutorial but the game never tells you this. It's non-intuitive as hell.

Other things that might be good to know:
There are actually three homing attacks when in the air. There's the kick on X/Y, as Kyle mentioned, there's the homing attack on A and then there's the "doublejump" or flip on B. Note that when there's no enemy around, A will also do the flip. There's no indication that when an enemy's around, A and B will do different things. What were they even thinking? :bang:

The circles that indicate that the Homing Attack is locked on also show the strength of the A homing attack (and therefore how much damage it will do). A fully charged homing attack will 2HKO almost all bosses in this game. You WILL need to know the circle thing to beat a boss later on.

Tutorials have to be clicked on through the gamepad and are location-based, thus making them really easy to miss.

And there's only one good member of the Deadly Six. ~SIIIIIGH~ :allears:

midwat
May 6, 2007

"Oh, yeah. 'Ooh, ahh.' That's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."

-Dr. Ian Malcolm

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's weird growing up as a kid when the only two consoles anyone cared about were made by Nintendo and Sega, to now have both companies on their way out of the console game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You don't have to use the touchscreen for the wisps, it's just the regular control method.

Orry
Apr 5, 2011

Waterfall of Salt posted:

"doublejump" or flip on B. Note that when there's no enemy around, A will also do the flip.

This is how the boss damaged him the first couple times, because when double-jumping Sonic uncurls and becomes vulnerable.

That said I did enjoy this game. It isn't amazing or anything, and definitely nowhere near as good as Generations but there is fun to be had. It's sort of weird, because this is a Sonic game with a run button, but it's also one of the few platformer games that I found holding the run button at all times to be the wrong thing to do. Most of the fun comes from exploring the levels trying to figure out how to get the red rings, the levels being rather short and not that complicated.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

To add to the exclusivity agreement discussion in the video, yes, Nintendo would be paying Sega for the right to have Sonic games only on the Wii U. Otherwise it's not financially smart for Sega.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Oh cool the threads up.

My main issue with the game is that the level design feels like it keeps stopping me and it kinda breaks the flow of the level. Generations was great because you could learn a level and just boost through it, jumping over everything and it was pretty drat sick. Lost world just feels too slow and clunky. Looks alright though.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Keith posted:

Maybe you get to roll in a ball later.
You will regret these words.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ughhhh I didn't know this game had the dumb wisp gimmick crap. It just got like 20% less awesome for me. And it was already almost in the negatives! :smith:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 1, 2014

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

It's funny how the Wisps are the best part of Colors and the worst part of this game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It doesn't even make narrative sense for the Wisps to be here. They were there in Colors because Eggman was harvesting resources from their world. They're in the Lost Hex because :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Oh cool the threads up.

My main issue with the game is that the level design feels like it keeps stopping me and it kinda breaks the flow of the level. Generations was great because you could learn a level and just boost through it, jumping over everything and it was pretty drat sick. Lost world just feels too slow and clunky. Looks alright though.
Yeah, so far it seems like the controls are clunky and the level design is a bit wrong for a Sonic game. The comparisons to Super Mario Galaxy are correct.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

samimalsam posted:

By the end of day 2, everyone minus one person had been swayed to my side with extreme prejudice. I'm looking forward to seeing if they made any of the numerous changes I/we heavily suggested.

Out of curiosity, was it a level or a feature that was the breaking point for you/other people?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
While this was certainly not my favorite game of the series (especially before the patch that allowed you to actually get lives for rings), I like that they did try something new and hope that they continue to refine it for any sequel. There's some real potential, but it can be easy to overlook with the cheesy dialogue and frustrating level designs.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
To go off what was said in the video, I think that the exclusivity deal goes like "Sega of Japan makes its next three games Nintendo exclusive while Sega of America goes off and does its own thing".

Sonic Boom is Sega of America's product, so it's probably not going to be Nintendo exclusive?

Also, jeez, just the way that Sonic moves in this game seems really slippery in a bad way. Are the controls as floaty as they look?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

A Meatslab posted:

To go off what was said in the video, I think that the exclusivity deal goes like "Sega of Japan makes its next three games Nintendo exclusive while Sega of America goes off and does its own thing".

Sonic Boom is Sega of America's product, so it's probably not going to be Nintendo exclusive?

Actually my understanding is that the opposite is true, in that Sonic Boom is currently only known to be in development for Nintendo consoles, whereas the next Sonic game looks to currently be in development for Wii U, Xbox One & PS4, assuming this is anything to go by.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I personally enjoyed Lost World myself despite the weak reception. It's definitely not as good as Colors or Generations by any means, and the game does throw in it's fair share of bullshit design later on (mostly in the form on arduously placed red rings, though there's also that loving snowball level :argh:), but overall I found the amount of variety from level to level combined with the aesthetic were generally strong enough that I was still able really enjoy it for the majority of my playthrough, aforementioned sections excepted. I didn't play it until after the lives patch though, so take that as you will. :shrug:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

FlamingLiberal posted:

To add to the exclusivity agreement discussion in the video, yes, Nintendo would be paying Sega for the right to have Sonic games only on the Wii U. Otherwise it's not financially smart for Sega.

We understand that they would have to be, but we were really wondering why and how that could possibly be beneficial to either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The main problem with this game's controls can pretty much be summed up when Kyle is explaining the how run button works early on in the video: He tilts Sonic just a little and he steers like a drat car right out of control and Kyle is like "wuuohh uwaooh god" trying to keep him straight. That's basically the gist of it.

The run button is a pretty nice boon in a game like this but that definitely doesn't help how crazy slippery Sonic is when you're not running straight forward.

• Locked thread