Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Videos

Episode 01 - Enter the World of Survival Horror

Episode 02 - Cancelled Parties

Episode 03 - Speedruns

Episode 04 - Escalation

Episode 05 - Inventory Management

Episode 06 - "Friends"

Episode 07 - Multiple Personality Disorder

Episode 08 - Room of Death

Episode 09 - Divination

Episode 10 - Fixing Space

Episode 11 - Sewage Quality

Episode 12 - Trouble in the Kennels

Episode 13 - Halloween Costume Ideas

Episode 14 - Technical Difficulties

Episode 14.5 - Silent Evil

Episode 15 - Dying A Lot

Episode 16 - Employees Only

Episode 17 - Challenege Accepted

Episode 18 - 2X Puzzle Combo

Episode 19 - Not An Employee

Episode 20 - Leon Finale

FINAL Episode - Your Mother's About to Explode

Super Bonus - Dress Up Time

Super Bonus - The Mercenaries

In 1998 Capcom released one of their most anticipated sequels: Resident Evil 2. With a $5 million advertising budget the launch was an unparalleled success, selling over 380,000 copies in its opening weekend and grossing $19 million (accounting for inflation that amounts to about $26 million today). Over 15 years later those numbers might not sound very impressive to people who are used to games hitting over a million copies sold overnight, but back then it was actually enough to break the previous record held by Final Fantasy VII and it surpassed the revenue of every Hollywood movie with the notable exception of Titanic.

Today Resident Evil 2 still remains one of the most revered entries in the series, touted by many as the best in survival horror. With the disturbing ambiance and wonderfully creepy soundtrack it's kind of hard to argue its praises. One of the big changes Resident Evil 2 introduced was the "Zapping System", which enabled certain actions players did as one protagonist to affect the subsequent playthrough as the other. This gave the feeling that both scenarios were happening simultaneously and were two halves of the same coin, rather than the "what if" feeling between Chris and Jill in the first Resident Evil. Resident Evil 2 was released as a 2 disc game, but rather than the Final Fantasy method of "play disc 1 and then put in disc 2 at the appropriate time", Resident Evil 2 split their discs between the two playable characters. Leon gets one disc, while Claire gets the other. After beating the game as Leon you can convert your save from "LeonA" to "ClaireB" and play through as Claire, seeing the story from her perspective. The really interesting part is that the game changes significantly depending on whose disc you play first. This essentially means, for the completionists out there, you can play this game four times and get new content each time. Without further ado, allow me to introduce the cast of Resident Evil 2.

Leon Scott Kennedy

Leon is a new recruit, fresh out of the police academy. He requested assignment to the Raccoon City Police Department due to the mysterious murders in the Arklay Mountains near the city (the very same murders that prompted Raccoon City police to dispatch the S.T.A.R.S. unit, leading to the events of the first game). On the day he was supposed to start as an officer of Raccoon City Leon apparently overslept, causing him to arrive well after nightfall. When he does arrive, he finds Raccoon city has become a far more dangerous place than he could have ever imagined.

Claire Redfield

Claire is the younger sister of Chris Redfield, one of the two protagonists of the first Resident Evil. Claire was very close to Chris, and even received training under him in hand to hand combat as well as firearm handling. In the months following the events of Resident Evil, Chris has mysteriously gone missing. Claire has taken it upon herself to find her missing brother and travels to Raccoon City, home of Chris' S.T.A.R.S. unit looking for answers.

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 01 - Enter the World of Survival Horror

Hello everyone, and welcome to my let's play of Resident Evil 2! As always, my good buddy Alden will be joining me as my LP co-pilot. First thing's first I would like to explain a little bit about the format of this LP. Both Alden and I love this game and we wanted to do something a little different than the typical "let's do Leon's A scenario and then run through Claire's B scenario". Instead, we will be cutting back and forth between Leon A and Claire B as they are happening simultaneously. Sometimes the transition will occur between episodes, and sometimes it will happen in the middle of an episode. Rather than try and force the transitions to fit an episode length we decided to cut where it felt most natural for the story. We will try as best we can to keep Leon and Claire on equal footing as far as story progress goes. One other thing I should mention, Alden will be playing as Leon, while I will take control of Claire. For the purposes of this LP we will be running the Leon A / Claire B playthrough. In addition there are secret unlockables that require specific conditions to be met before unlocking them. We will be covering these unlockables after we have cleared the main story and we will showcase them in their own episodes.

That about covers it, I hope you guys enjoy!

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
This game takes me back. I only ever played the N64 version of it, but this was my introduction to survival horror. A lot of elements show their age, and there were a lot of things that made sense in a video game context but are moderately preposterous to one extent or another, but I remember this game fondly. Looking forward to the LP!

Edit: Dunno if it's just my browser wigging out on Youtube, but the subtitles picked up a black bar obscuring the center of the text completely maybe 5-10 minutes into the video.

Pops fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 18, 2014

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Pops posted:

Dunno if it's just my browser wigging out on Youtube, but the subtitles picked up a black bar obscuring the center of the text completely maybe 5-10 minutes into the video.

That's really weird, it seems to only happen if you have it full screened. I can only assume it's something on YouTube's end. If I can't figure out how to get that to go away I'll just go back and render the subtitles directly into the video. For now if you want to read the text it should work if you're not in full screen.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hey it's my introduction to the wonderful, crazy world of Resident Evil :allears:

I, too, played this first on the N64 (I also own that cart as well as the PSN version) but I noticed something interesting in the prologue. You can hear the audio cutting off and I wonder if that is something that they just couldn't get to work right on the PS version, since I recall that never being an issue on the N64. Of course I could always go plug that brick in and find out for sure :v:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 02 - Cancelled Parties

In this episode we start to see one of the things I really love about the Resident Evil series. There are all these documents that you can pick up as you progress through the game and some of them do have notes on how to complete puzzles or find a hidden pickup, but for the most part they just contain lore about the characters and the world. I really appreciate this kind of attention to detail and I especially love when games don't beat the player over the head with the story. When games decide to tell a story by leaving little pieces around the world and letting the player put it together it makes the player more involved, instead of just "Put the controller down and watch this prerendered cutscene!" It is a storytelling technique that takes advantage of video games as an interactive medium and I wish more games would do that.

One note about the NPC we encounter at the very beginning of the episode:

His name is Sgt. Marvin Branagh and he was about to be Leon's boss. In the original design for Resident Evil 2 he was going to be a major supporting character and be wounded (presumably by something other than a zombie bite) in the leg.

Also in regards to the S.T.A.R.S. photograph, we're not entirely sure who the person in the back left actually is. He did not have a name when RE2 was first released, but since then Kevin Dooley has been retconned as the pilot for Bravo team, with Edward Dewey being the co-pilot. As far as we can tell it makes the most sense for the person in the photograph to be Kevin Dooley.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 03 - Speedruns

I should mention that there are bonuses you can unlock by beating the game with an A ranking. The following things affect your ranking:

- saving (using an ink ribbon)
- using first aid sprays
- using special weapons
- clear time

There is supposedly a very small amount of wiggle room for the A rank, but the best way to ensure an A rank is to clear the game without using ink ribbons, first aid sprays, special weapons, and with a clear time under 2 1/2 hours. We will be showcasing these bonus unlocks in a separate video, but in recording this our clear time was well over the limit. We will go back and get the A ranks off camera (possibly streaming the speedruns).

There has been a lot of speculation over the mythical "S" rank in Resident Evil 2, and I'm far from an expert, but here is what I've been able to discern from scouring the internet. In the NA/EU releases of the PSX version of Resident Evil 2 there is no "S" Rank, rather in the Japanese version the conditions for "S" Rank are the same as the NA/EU conditions for "A" Rank. In the Japanese version of the game there is no "E" Rank, meaning that their scale just got shifted up one (Or rather, I guess the NA/EU scale got shifted down). I have seen people claim that you can get an "S" Rank by clearing the game under 1 1/2 hours using only the knife and only 1 green herb, but as near as I can tell that's just a baseless rumor.

Yet another point of contention is what exactly is classified as a "special weapon". Some people claim it is any weapon with an inventory size of 2 or higher, while some people also say you cannot use weapon upgrades.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I believe that the actual factual limits are that for an A rank you must always be under the 2 1/2 hour limit, but you are allowed 1 save and possibly the use of 1 First Aid Spray as well. I know for a fact you are allowed at least 1 save because I have a LeonA save file with only 1 save and the result screen gave me an A rank (I think I clocked in at 2h 15m, not very polished) and I have a ClaireA save where I finished the game with a time of almost 6 hours (I left the game running and forgot that the "pause" does not actually pause the timer) and I still got a B rank.

Iirc there are only certain weapons that count as "special" weapons and we will see them as we get there in the game and there are, of course, the "reward" weapons that you get for A ranks. Using those weapons immediately restricts you from getting an A rank and then I think it also depends on how often you use them.

General rule of thumb if you are going for an A rank: only save once or not at all and I bid you good luck, do not use a First Aid Spray EVER (ClaireA players this does include using Sherry's first aid spray, which sucks because gently caress her segment), and do not use any special weapons (although for a fresh playthrough this pretty much just means don't use the Mac-10), and of course complete the game in under 2 1/2 hours. Really the A rank isn't too difficult to get if you've been playing the game since 1998 :v:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
That does line up with what I've read, from what I understand the ranks are based on a point system. If you are between 270-300 points you get an A rank. You get 100 points for using 0 saves, another 100 for using 0 first aid sprays, and another 100 for beating it under 2.5 hours. Using a save will dock you 5 points, while using a first aid spray will dock you 10, which still puts you over 270. Supposedly (again, this is just from research online, not personal testing) you also get docked 10 points for every hour you are over 2.5 hours. Theoretically you can actually save / first aid a number of times and still stay within the A rank, but running back to save often can put a hurting on your time.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 04 - Escalation

One thing that is really difficult to get right in game design is the escalation of the player's strength in relation to the enemies, which I think the Resident Evil games (for the most part) are pretty good at. It is very important in a game that has player growth that the player feel like they are getting stronger, but at the same time if the challenges they face don't grow as well then the game becomes stagnant and boring. If the enemies grow in strength too much then the player feels like they are not making any headway, not to mention the overall balance of the game gets skewed and the game becomes too difficult. Balance is one of those things that can make or break an experience and is so crucial to get right, but it can also eat up a lot of time. It's one of those things that contributes to the saying that the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

One thing that I like about Resident Evil, and other survival horror games is that once you get good at the games you will find yourself just breezing through the games and a flawless run just looks so polished. I was watching a couple speed runs of LeonA and ClaireA and man the risks people take, I am by no means a master but their ability to know just when to take ahit and how to dodge attacks it is so cool to watch :)

Of course tank controls are all part of the challenge

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

Victory.
Is the policy of dodging the zombies instead of putting them down a time-saving thing? I don't remember ever really running into ammo management problems, and I generally didn't leave many standing after I got to the police station.

...Well, handgun ammo, anyway. The higher-end stuff I generally saved for special occasions. They throw enough handgun ammo at you in the station to make clearing out most of the zombies a reasonable plan, especially given how cramped some of the corridors can get.

Also, re: zombies can't climb stairs? Not in the game engine's mechanics, certainly, but they had to get to the second story of the RPD station somehow, after all.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Pops posted:

Is the policy of dodging the zombies instead of putting them down a time-saving thing? I don't remember ever really running into ammo management problems, and I generally didn't leave many standing after I got to the police station.

...Well, handgun ammo, anyway. The higher-end stuff I generally saved for special occasions. They throw enough handgun ammo at you in the station to make clearing out most of the zombies a reasonable plan, especially given how cramped some of the corridors can get.

Also, re: zombies can't climb stairs? Not in the game engine's mechanics, certainly, but they had to get to the second story of the RPD station somehow, after all.

They could climb stairs in RE3, and that engine was based of off of this one. I guess the devs didn't realise they could've pulled it off at the time.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Pops posted:

I think Alden may have been exaggerating when he was saying how scarce ammo is in this game, but it is definitely a factor if you're trying to get a good time. Learning how to dodge zombies instead of putting them down is one of those little things that can bump you up from B rank to A rank.

As far as the zombies climbing stairs, while it is technically possible that all the zombies on the second story were human when they got there and then turned, that's just a silly assumption to make and I'm certain it was just an engine thing. Given that they do it in RE3 I can definitely see it having been the kind of thing that was just on the "wish list" during development that got left on the cutting room floor, especially considering that they scrapped the game and restarted a decent ways into development.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Pops posted:

It's not a policy so much as an exercise in item management. For both Claire and Leon you can finish the game swimming in ammunition for your handguns and your higher end weapons if you forgo shooting every zombie and licker you come across. Of course there are also extra stashes of ammunition that you can discover that will make the end game even easier because while enemies at the end of the game are stronger than what we are seeing in the precinct they are still either spread out enough that you can easily get by them without taking too much damage or you have saved enough special weapons ammo that you can take them down with impunity :v:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 05 - Inventory Management

It's interesting how often putting limitations on the player can turn into a core gameplay mechanic, sometimes it just ends in frustration, but I think the Resident Evil series does a good job of it. Having to choose which weapons to bring with you and sometimes being ill prepared for a situation lends itself well to the survival horror setting. Not being able to just shove everything into your magical bag of holding leads to interesting choices, which is something you always want to strive for in game design.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
I agree that the painted backgrounds are what give the early RE games a lot of their charm and atmosphere, which is something I missed in the later games and also in other series that upgraded in the same way.

Also, in that corridor with the barricaded windows near the interrogation rooms, is that 'REDRUM' painted on the wood planks?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Rasler posted:

I agree that the painted backgrounds are what give the early RE games a lot of their charm and atmosphere, which is something I missed in the later games and also in other series that upgraded in the same way.

Also, in that corridor with the barricaded windows near the interrogation rooms, is that 'REDRUM' painted on the wood planks?

Hah, wow I never noticed that but it totally looks like it does.

Also, thanks to SnarfTheHoovySlayer for sending me this, but we actually have a video showing how to dodge the licker in the infamous licker hallway! The trick is to walk slowly so as not to alert him, then run past while he's dropping down from the ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncImEZ-P068

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 06 - "Friends"

We're starting to get to the point where things are actually happening in the story! Obviously I won't say too much, but we get to meet some more members of the supporting cast. Some are more important than others, but in a game with such a limited cast pretty much anyone with dialogue is worth noting (some exceptions being Kendo and Branagh).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Something that I've always found amusing is that Marvin goes from normal looking to Zombie in a matter of seconds, he turned almost as fast as the zombies in Resident Evil 6.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Got to say, it never occured to me to keep blue herbs independent from the other herbs. It would have saved me a lot of trouble in RE1.

I still have to finish that game.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Hmm, will you be showing off the unlockable weapons and costumes as well?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

Got to say, it never occured to me to keep blue herbs independent from the other herbs. It would have saved me a lot of trouble in RE1.

I still have to finish that game.

blue herbs will detox you if you've been bitten by Yawn or any of the other poisonous monsters (usually spiders) but in RE2 the only monsters that can poison you are either a) really easy to avoid getting hit by 99.9% of the time or b) only comes up in the B file if you decided to be a douche in your A file. Of course in RE2 we will see that there are blue herbs scattered around and are only there for if you are poisoned, meaning that you should find every individual blue herb you can and mix it with your red and green herbs because the Mixed Herb is more powerful than First Aid Spray. I can't recall if this is actually true but I remember reading somewhere that not only will a RBG Mixed Herb heal you from 1% health to 100% but it will also make you invulnerable for like...a few seconds. Like I said, not sure if that's true but when I was at the final boss they didn't attack me for a few seconds after using those herbs and they were standing right next to me so it's not like I had run away.

Moral of the story: always mix your green herbs with red herbs and then try your damnedest to save those for the blue herbs and then save said Mixed Herbs to be used against bosses

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Aces High posted:

Of course in RE2 we will see that there are blue herbs scattered around and are only there for if you are poisoned, meaning that you should find every individual blue herb you can and mix it with your red and green herbs because the Mixed Herb is more powerful than First Aid Spray. I can't recall if this is actually true but I remember reading somewhere that not only will a RBG Mixed Herb heal you from 1% health to 100% but it will also make you invulnerable for like...a few seconds. Like I said, not sure if that's true but when I was at the final boss they didn't attack me for a few seconds after using those herbs and they were standing right next to me so it's not like I had run away.

Green/Blue/Red mixes are a full heal the same way Green/Red, Green x3, and First Aid Sprays are. The "Invincibility" thing seems to be one of those mistakes people make because enemy damage is technically random to some extent, along with characters having different "HP" levels (For instance, RE1 Chris can take far more hits than Jill before dropping). So you might pop a GBR mix and then get slammed for something that usually messes you up, only to still be in the Fine condition by a few HP due to random variables or you're playing Leon or something. There's also the fact that very few attacks do enough damage to drop you from Fine to Yellow Caution in one hit guaranteed, and they're either found in the mini-games (due to a difficulty spike) or they're on late game enemies and bosses.

(The stand out enemy example for RE2 is of course the Enhanced Licker, which can and will do enough damage to wreck you in one hit with one of its more common attacks. In the minigames, especially Extreme Battle on Difficulty 3, it can and will kill you in one hit from full health)

Later games in the series (mainly Outbreak, though I think RE4 and 5 also do it) reduce the effectiveness of herbs in comparison to First Aid Sprays, which are always full heals. As far as I know, there's no way to get Invincibility, temporary or otherwise, outside of cheating or RE: Operation Raccoon City's Super-Soldier skill.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Gideon020 posted:

Hmm, will you be showing off the unlockable weapons and costumes as well?

Yes we will! After the main story is completed we will run through and get A ranks to showcase the unlockables. We will also show off what you can get by not picking up anything before you get to the police station.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 07 - Multiple Personality Disorder

We touch on this briefly in the episode, but I would like to point out how much I enjoy the sound design in Resident Evil 2. Code Veronica has an even better example of this, but the music (specifically the safe room music) is really great at establishing tone. For the most part, unless a cutscene is playing, there really isn't a lot of music in this game, so when they do use music to establish tone I think that gives it more impact. The safe room music is designed to be somewhat calming, but it still has a bit of a creepy vibe to it that puts you on edge.

In general I think it's really easy to put sound design on the back burner and while it is certainly common practice to wait until about 3/4 of the way into development to start the final sound design, I really can't stress enough how important sound is to the overall experience. Even throwing in some quick placeholder sounds can help establish player feedback, and in the end feedback is key. Well placed music tracks can be the final piece that ties the tone and feel of your game together.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 08 - Room of Death

We finally get to meet Chief Irons in today's episode! If you couldn't tell from the incriminating fax we got earlier, he is not a nice person. We also get some insight into how a police station full of trained professionals was overrun by what are, by and large, shambling corpses. It's nice that they added in that bit of detail and again it's told through these little memos that we pick up every now and then. We don't get a 10 minute cutscene of everything going to hell, but instead we get to learn what happened as Claire and Leon are learning everything.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Christ that transition as you went into his room scared the poo poo out of me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It's nice that this LP is going on at the same time as the Chronicles LP because I can say that with all of the things that were done right in the "re-imagining" of this game, the quick cameo Chief Irons has establishes his character pretty well :)

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

Victory.
I think the grenade launcher is the weapon that does the ammo trick you're thinking of: if you load any particular type of grenade to it, the entire stack of that grenade type is 'loaded' as a single magazine. So, if you have that (otherwise empty) M79 and, say, fifty grenade rounds in your inventory, you can load the launcher and your inventory will show the GL with a blue '50' next to it, taking up only one slot.

Assuming my memory hasn't failed me, there are only two not-quite-safe rooms in the game, and we've already seen them both. The first is that lobby room, which only has an item box, that (I think) Claire had to clear of zombies. The other is that mechanical shed that Leon tried to explore, downstairs and around the corner from the helipad, that spawned a couple zombies when he opened the door to the street. That one only had a typewriter in it. Neither had the 'safe room' music, and each had an item box OR a typewriter, but not both. All things considered, then, I'd say they're not really safe rooms.

Ada's Browning Hi-Power, incidentally, is the same model that Claire carries. It's not particularly powerful these days, but when it came out, most military and police issued revolvers. Having thirteen shots was an impressive change in firepower at the time. I can go into more detail on the guns if you'd like, because boy does the RE series love it some flashy guns.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The funny thing is that Leon has a H&K VP70, even better is that he finds the accessories for it and you have to wonder why the hell the RPD, which appears to use the BHP as their standard issue firearm (and the STARS unit has customized Beretta 92FSs because Umbrella is swimming in money), has those gun parts just lying around.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The novel for Resident Evil 2 by SD Perry mentioned that Leon's gun was a gift from his Uncle, The novel also made Chief Irons into an insane rapist who wanted to torture and skin Claire alive, so there's that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I thought he had a Desert Eagle the whole time in her book, it's been a really long time since I read it so I can't remember the exact details. Although the Chief Irons stuff really doesn't sound too different from what the files, his later cutscenes and other games make him out to be.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
You're right, in the book, Leon uses a Desert Eagle. And the Chief is still pretty spot on in terms of... yeah. Still an interesting read, but its been a long-rear end time since I read the books too. Can't remember more than that.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I wanna say there's a file in some game (possibly Outbreak File 2 or Darkside Chronicles) that says the RPD basically is in the process of upgrading to the H&K VP70. However, I fully admit this might actually be coming from a fanfic or the Resident Evil novels. And yeah, Leon uses the .50AE version of the Desert Eagle in the novel.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

Victory.
The RPD would be kind of a late adopter, then, and have made an unusual pick if their issue weapon is the VP-70. Though, on balance I guess that's hardly the strangest thing about the RPD.

The Heckler & Koch VP-70 is kind of an oddball weapon. It has decent accuracy*, and eighteen rounds in the magazine is higher than most current handguns. It's reliable, though not remarkably so. H&K designed it to work with a removable stock, making it look like a really short submachine gun, and the military/police version can fire three-round bursts if the stock is equipped. The civilian version can mount the stock as well, but no 3RB. It was the first polymer-framed handgun, but the way it was designed (and its lighter weight) made its recoil surprisingly high. H&K never quite found the market for it that they'd hoped, and stopped production in 1989.

The stock we'll get allows the 3RB. The stock is also supposed to function as a holster, but that feature never seems to make it into games - even when inventory management is essential.

*Accurate as far as the gun's rifling and such go. It had a ridiculously heavy trigger pull, at eighteen pounds. For comparison, most other service pistols have a pull somewhere between two and ten pounds. Beyond being a hell of a grip exerciser, having to pull that hard means the shooter's aim is more likely to wander around. Combined with the high recoil, that means most shooters will likely not be great with it, especially if they have to fire quickly.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 09 - Divination

We get to see one of the big events that you can do as Leon that will affect Claire's playthrough in today's episode (ironically after we've already seen the effect it had on Claire). We're also going to be finding out more about Chief Irons, though it's interesting that we do so in Leon's playthrough. I really like how you get a little insight into this character from both sides of the story, even if you're not playing as the character that encounters him directly.

Also, funny thing you guys mentioning that Leon uses the Desert Eagle in the novel because we pick it up in today's episode!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I couldn't remember how far along we had gotten but since the books are their own thing I figured it would be safe to talk about how Leon got out of his jeep with his Deagle (yes, I went there) cocked and locked in the first(?) chapter.

To this day it amazes me how many people actually read those books, I remember reading them because a) I was VERY into Resident Evil b) they were brand new and c) I was 12 (I also read Battlefield Earth at that age too, just for context)

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Does the "2 hours" rule only count if you are bitten? Because the Itchy-tasty guy kept a journal for at least a week, but he was likely exposed to the airborne virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

Victory.
That locked drawer you keep passing near the STARS office contains the handgun upgrade, not a first aid spray. Fun fact: upgrading a weapon gives you a full reload.

I took the two-hour time frame to mean how long it takes to rise as a zombie after dying from the infection. After infection (by bite, injection, inhalation, whatever) the victim gradually gets sicker - and crazier, like Itchy Tasty - until they finally kick. Then, two hours after that, they rise as a zombie.

I think you guys are right about how most people would do much worse than they expect in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Like you said, it's hard to predict how someone will do in a stressful situation until they're in it, and most people haven't been in anything close. I'd say vets with combat experience, SWAT officers, riot police, and the like have faced situations about as stressful as a zombie outbreak, but they're - what - ten percent of the population? So of every ten people who talk big about how well they'd do, nine of them have no data to back it up.

That doesn't mean they're automatically hosed when the dead walk, of course, but their chances are not nearly as good as they probably think.

• Locked thread