Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Welcome to Australia!

In a world where the free market rules, you are a brave adventurer bootstrapping your way to survival.

LORDS OF THIS BLIGHTED WASTELAND

The Liberal Party

+2 INT, -4 WIS, +2 CHA
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against journalists

The Liberal Party were swept into power last year by giving Rupert Murdoch a furtive handjob convincing the public there was a :siren: BUDGET EMERGENCY :siren: that could only be solved by selling off everything that made the government money, getting rid of anything with the word "environment" in it, torturing foreigners in offshore concentration camps and cutting any government services that benefit poor people. Recently purchased billions of dollars worth of shoddy fighter jets, which is okay because something something previous government waste something something international stage. Have already broken almost every election promise they made, but are adamant that none of them count because what they're actually doing is [SAME_THING_REWORDED].

Don't worry though, once healthcare is hosed and nobody has any money it'll be time to rebuild Australia!

by 2020-ish

The Labor Party

+2 DEX, +2 WIS, -4 CHA
Small: +1 size bonus to Armor Class and attack rolls, +4 size bonus on Hide checks

Though many have desperately searched for their phylactery, the shambling corpse of the ALP Right continues to drive the Labor Party. Opposition Leader Bill Shorten seized power after the Labor Party's election strategy of "try to be like the guy who left the Church because he couldn't get into this "compassion" thing, only more racist" mysteriously failed to work, and is trying a bold new strategy of preparing and casting greater invisibility daily in the hope that Abbott shoots himself or something.

The Greens

+2 WIS, +2 CHA, -2 CON
Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells

The protest vote everyone loves to make and the only actual progressive party in Australia. Most of the thread is hoping they get enough Senate seats to poo poo in Abbott's breakfast before he shits in theirs. Both major parties really, really wish they would gently caress off.

Palmer United Party

+2 CON, -2 CHA
Stonecunning: +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice mining taxes
Spell-like abilities: lesser confusion (DC 12) 1/day

The personal party of Clive Palmer, who is convinced that his party listens to the Australian people and will give them what they truly want - things that sound a lot like things Clive wants. Clive spent a lot of gold pieces on getting into Parliament so he could abolish the carbon tax for personal gain, but also thinks refugees should be treated like actual people instead of being forced into filthy prison camps while Scott Morrison dry-humps their children. Slightly confusing.

Some Other Losers

There are some other minor parties but they're either poo poo or trying to game the system so they can get hosed.

. . .

We have an IRC! Check out #auspol on SynIRC for the latest news in this ongoing campaign against the poors and young people.

Also, this:

NuclearSpy posted:

:siren: Page 1 shameless plugs! :siren:

AusPol Wiki - A wiki that attempts to educate as well as opinionate. I try to archive anything I come across in here and elsewhere online for later reference. Includes such favourites as:
Tony's Mandate - The massively long (and depressing) list of news articles about the Abbott Government
The Tony Abbott Files - A page that I have started to revisit to keep track of all the 'Abbottisms' that are now beginning to pop up
How evil is Campbell Newman? - The man that inspired the archiving in the first place, Queensland Premier Campbell Newman and his trail of destruction
100+ days in Government - A categorised version of Tony's Mandate which works better as a shareable link

South Australian Young Greens Social Group - A Facebook group that (forums user) Kim Jong Ill and myself have set up which helps keep Adelgoons (and non-goons) up to date with events etc. I highly encourage lurkers from Adelaide to sign up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Baron Von Face posted:

I was informed last week I'll be retrenched on June 30.:suicide: This budget and the general 'gently caress poor people' sentiment is really messing with my zen/hope-for-the-future thing.

Keep posting peeps, knowing I'm not the only person who thinks we've jumped in a hand basket to hell is pretty comforting :shobon:

If possible get as much evidence as possible so you can get a qualification from TAFE cheaply. Demonstrated experience can knock down a Cert IV business administration to $2-300. It looks good saying I worked at X and gained a piece of paper. Start job hunting now, brush up our resume, they're are people who can do it professionally for you, council also does resume workshops. If you are a member of a union they can support you through this and make sure you're getting everything you are qualified for: eg free training, new suit, etc.

At the very least use this time to prepare, pay any outstanding bills, and start saving some cash. A budget helps if you're not already using one. Throw some cash into your super so you get up to $500 from the government for free.

You're not alone, you have a little notice and hopefully you can make this as smooth as possible

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to May, fuckers.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
At least we get a rad Banner for The End Of The Age Of Prosperity

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I approve of this OP.

:ussr:

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
gently caress Tony Abbott and gently caress This Country.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

1) Join the Greens. You'll get experience in the political process for a good cause for $10 a year membership.
2) Join a union. You need protection and support while you work, and that's what the union provides. If you're not sure of something, or are being mistreated at work the union will provide legal support. There is also training for leadership roles, public speaking, marketing and other useful life skills. Membership costs about $10 a week, depending on the union and your circumstances. Tell us your job and we can point you to your union!
3) Get involved with your community. Whether it's sports or surf life saving or the local community club you'll find it satisfying and a learning experience. Bonus if you get involved in politics you can say I'm an active x!

http://greens.org.au
http://www.actu.org.au
https://www.ourcommunity.com.au

BCR fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 1, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in colour dim I mark'd
Over a portal's lofty arch inscrib'd:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
“The Commission acknowledges that there is no ‘right’ level of funding that should be provided to the ABC and the SBS, or ‘right’ level of services that should be provided by the public broadcasters,” the report says.

“However, it considers that both organisations have the ability to improve their efficiency and better target expenditure than may currently be the case.

“Media convergence, especially the availability and access of text, audio and video media via the internet, is increasingly eliminating the traditional arguments for public broadcasting.

“It could be argued that the need for government intervention or support has now been superseded by technology and commercial imperatives.”

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I am okay with being Elven.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
Summary of the Commission of Audit findings:
• more money for us
• gently caress you

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Julia Trillard posted:

Summary of the Commission of Audit findings:
• gently caress you

You might as well just cut the first part. It's all gently caress you, all the way down.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The OP needs some pictures of F-35s.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

I hope I live to see Tony Abbott & his cabinet executed for crimes against humanity.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

"I feel like I've had a baby"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Yeah Bro posted:

I hope I live to see Tony Abbott & his cabinet executed for crimes against humanity.

Probably not that but if you eat well and exercise and are white and not poor you might live to see a non-specific national apology and a speech blaming Rudd :buddy:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Haters Objector posted:

________________________/
"I feel like I've had a baby"

I don't have Photoshop, so sue me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Great OP! Too bad about the whole country going to poo poo, though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in colour dim I mark'd
Over a portal's lofty arch inscrib'd:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

Needs a new stanza about the gently caress'd

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ground floor. Current reaction to Australian politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJe2ztE41s

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
This has hands down been the most stupid loving thing I can imagine and I just rolled into lava 4 times in the same place in Dark Souls 2, so it is PRETTY GODDAMNED STUPID.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Since when are the Liberals naturally charismatic?

Abbott's smug sense of self-assuredness falls apart everytime he has to go slightly off the script.

Otherwise genius from the true D&D.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Cassa posted:

Since I knew it would annoy someone :unsmigghh:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Good OP, poo poo country. Let's see what happens next.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vmOGalpxA

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Ettin posted:

Since I knew it would annoy someone :unsmigghh:

Your mother plays FATAL. :argh:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
We are so hosed.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Murodese posted:

This has hands down been the most stupid loving thing I can imagine and I just rolled into lava 4 times in the same place in Dark Souls 2, so it is PRETTY GODDAMNED STUPID.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cassa posted:

Whoa whoa let's not get carried away here.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cassa posted:

Abbott's smug sense of self-assuredness falls apart everytime he has to go slightly off the script.

Otherwise genius from the true D&D.

I'm really curious about the parallel universe where Turnbull kept the leadership and was elected PM, because he comes across as generally likeable to a lot more people that Abbott. On the one hand he'd probably be able to get more of these things through by having more charisma than Abbott (by way of not being a lizard in a man suit) but on the other hand we'd have things like action on climate change.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cassa posted:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cassa posted:

I wonder what Pyne rolls for his sexual appeal stats.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We've seen Turnbull as Coalition leader, there's not that much to guess about.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Really I think if there's an RPG Auspol would be interested in it's Eclipse Phase. Multiple space governments with different political leanings, social democrats and anarchists are explicitly way better than the capitalists and libertarians, smash the state :getin:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Remember to apply your +homosexuality bonus if you're an elf/-homosexuality if you're an orc.

Wait, FATAL didn't have orcs, what was it that got the -homosexuality bonus? I may never know.

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

Happy International Workers' Day, which is also my birthday, comrades!

Regarding the Australia First/Golden Dawn march on in Brisbane tomorrow - I would usually be back in Brizzy for my birthday but work got in the way, so my 5-foot-nothing mum who lives down the road from the Greek Club will take my place in the throwing bricks at fascists thing. I also alerted the West End Community Association and the Brisbane Aboriginal Sovereign Embassy (in Musgrave Park, right ocross the road from the Greek Club), so those twelve dudes who turn up are gonna be really embarrassed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/coalition-braces-backlash-audit-potential-victims

Coalition braces for angry backlash from potential cutback victims

Pensioners, students, low-income families, disabled people, the sick and public servants face 'sudden policy shocks'

Lenore Taylor, political editor
theguardian.com, Thursday 1 May 2014 18.55 AEST

Joe Hockey Joe Hockey says the audit report is 'not the budget'. Photograph: Alan Porritt/AAP

The Coalition is bracing for a significant political backlash as it refuses to rule out most of the highly contentious recommendations in the Commission of Audit report despite the fears being raised among pensioners, students, low-income families, disabled people, the sick and public servants.

And the head of the commission, Business Council of Australia president Tony Shepherd, has questioned the rationale for the government’s plan to impose an immediate tax hike for higher income earners to “share” the budget pain – saying there was not really a short-term “budget emergency” but rather a serious longer term structural problem with the nation’s finances.

Shepherd said the audit commission had deliberately avoided big immediate spending cuts that could hurt consumer and business confidence and “sudden policy shocks” that would make it harder to convince the community of the need for fundamental change.

The government has all but confirmed it is considering a temporary tax increase for higher earners, despite deep concerns in its own ranks and the fact that a tax increase would constitute a clear broken promise.

“There is a need for an immediate special effort … to strengthen our starting position as we move to reduce the deficit ... so the decisions we are considering is how to make sure the immediate special effort is spread fairly across the whole community,” the finance minister, Mathias Cormann, said.

Shepherd said the government was “saying they need to act now to get out of deficit quickly and to get the money to invest in infrastructure to speed the economic recovery.

“It’s a political judgment really, and I agree with the need for infrastructure spending, but economically you have to be careful you don’t hit confidence.”

A longer term way to spread the budget “pain” to the wealthy would be to wind back some of the $30bn in superannuation concession paid each year. The commission said that as a tax measure this was beyond its brief to look at government spending, but added “many superannuation tax concessions disproportionately benefit higher income earners, when compared to taxation at marginal tax rates under the progressive income tax system” and suggested they be examined by the government’s tax review.

The treasurer, Joe Hockey, insisted the report was “not the budget” and not all of the commission’s recommended cuts would be adopted, and many would be referred off to other government reviews of taxation and federal-state relations. But he refused to rule out any recommendations other than the suggestion that the government reconsider its long term goal for increasing defence spending and the recommendation to include the full value of the family home in the means test for the aged pension. In an interview on the ABC’s 7.30, Cormann would not rule out the commission’s recommendation that high income earners should be forced to take out private health insurance for basic medical services – a step that would effectively end Australia’s system of universal health care.

Meanwhile, the public service union warned the commission was under-estimating its calculation that its recommendations for abolishing and merging government agencies would cost 15,000 jobs, saying the real figure would be closer to 25,000.

Disability groups reacted angrily to the call for a slower roll out of the national disability insurance scheme and the Australian Council of Social Service said the report’s recommendations threatened Australia’s social safety net and failed the “fairness test”.

“It is fair and reasonable to expect that governments to ensure that when any of us get sick we can get treatment; that when we lose our job, there’s a safety net to see us through the tough times; and that all children get a chance to a decent education,” ACOSS chief Cassandra Goldie said.

“These reasonable expectations are under challenge by proposals to create a two-tiered system in health and education that will result in decent services for those who can afford to pay and a second rate system for those who can’t. For this reason we reject the proposal of a GP co-payment that will severely impact people on the lowest incomes and those with chronic illness. It would lead to reduced visits to doctors and greater pressure on the hospital system.”

The Labor party and the Greens seized on the report to accuse the government of hitting the poor and cutting services for working families.

The Greens say the commission’s terms of reference were “rigged” to get the recommendations the government wanted, that it was a report “by business, for business”. The Greens have called Shepherd before a Senate inquiry Friday morning to “explain himself”.

And Clive Palmer said his Palmer United Party would not support any of the suggested changes to the aged pension.

Hockey said it was “kind of ridiculous” for the government to be required to keep every election promise when it had inherited a budget which Labor had falsely promised would return to surplus.

“All this talk about broken promises, of course we will endeavour to keep our promises … but please, this idea that everything we said is going to be held against us ... given what has moved on us is kind of ridiculous,” he said.

And he said the report proved that there was an urgent task to repair the budget and avoid deficits and increasing national debt into the next decade.

He said the Coalition had "inherited a mess", with $123bn in projected deficits over four years.

"The challenge now is to get on with the job of fixing the mess, and we will," he said.

"...The fact is that unless structural reform is undertaken Australians will have a lesser quality of life in the future than they have today,’’ he said.

“I have no doubt that there'll be many issues that are highly contentious and somewhat difficult for various stakeholders and some in the community to accept. But there is an overwhelming challenge here and that is to ensure that the budget is structurally fit for the future.”

We made promises based on Labor's lies! Labor is at fault! *ignores the Greens bringing up the rear and attacking the wounded animals*

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
A march in Brisbane full of racists, nationalists, and fascists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ben Eltham:

quote:

Commission of Audit: a recipe for a poorer, nastier and more brutish Australia
The prescriptions advocated by the Audit are stock-standard 1980s-era neoliberalism: privatise government assets, abolish government agencies, charge citizens more

Ben Eltham
theguardian.com, Thursday 1 May 2014 16.06 AEST

We always knew the Commission of Audit would produce a small government, low spending, neoliberal report.

Why? Because that’s what the government set it up to do.

The Commission of Audit was announced as a supposedly independent body. But the people doing the auditing are mostly rusted-on, hardline conservatives. Tony Shepherd, a former chairman of Transfield, is also the former boss of big business lobby group, the Business Council of Australia. Peter Boxall is a former chief of staff to Peter Costello. Howard government minister Amanda Vanstone is there too. This is a political body, set up to do a very political job.

The giveaway is there in black and white, in the Audit’s terms of reference. These give it “a broad remit to examine the scope for efficiency and productivity improvements across all areas of Commonwealth expenditure, and to make recommendations to achieve savings sufficient to deliver a surplus of 1% of GDP prior to 2023-24.” Top of the list: to “ensure taxpayers are receiving value-for-money from each dollar spent” and “eliminate wasteful spending.”

Framing an exercise like this as delivering value for money and cutting waste ensures that the debate is all about government spending. There is no acknowledgement that the real cause of the current deficit is a shortfall in revenues, not a blow-out in expenditures. Nor is there any mention of the fact that the Commonwealth’s spending is low by OECD standards, and in fact is broadly consistent with spending levels in the later years of the Howard government.

The Audit ignores all this. “We have spent beyond our means for too long,” it complains, bemoaning the “sixth consecutive budget deficit.”

It’s as though that minor event known as the global financial crisis never happened. This is truly the “autistic” economics that a group of French university students protested about in June 2000.

The prescriptions advocated by the Audit are stock-standard 1980s-era neoliberalism. Privatise government assets. Cut red tape. Abolish or amalgamate government agencies. Charge citizens more for government services, like visits to the doctor. Slash government benefits, especially for the most vulnerable. Make students pay more for their education. Reduce foreign aid. Abolish national protections, like a national minimum wage. Halt Commonwealth support for the homeless.

This is a recipe for a poorer, nastier and more brutish Australia. If implemented, it would mark the beginning of the end of the Australian fair go.

By far the most radical proposal is to junk a century of federal-state relations and return huge swathes of the Commonwealth’s functions to the states. This is cloud cuckoo stuff. The states are struggling to fund the services and functions they currently provide. It is absurd to believe a tiny state like Tasmania can provide the kind of advanced public services that all citizens demand. Australians should not be condemned to lower standards of living and poorer public services just because they live in a small state.

The idea to give the states a 10% income tax tells you all you need to know. Despite a mania for reducing complexity, the Commission of Audit wants to cut federal tax rates, only to increase them again with an extra income tax for the states. At the same time as it complains about duplication, the Audit wants to take single, federal programs and devolve them to eight separate states and territories. Go figure.

We don’t need to ask ourselves what Australia would look like if this radical plan were implemented. Just look across the Pacific. The United States has a small federal government as a share of GDP, and devolves many public services to its states. It has a vestigial or non-existent social safety net. It has low taxes and many social services are privatised. In other words, it is exactly the sort of country the Commission of Audit would like to see Australia become.

How is the small government, market-is-best ideology working for the US? America has endemic intergenerational poverty, massive inequality, crumbling infrastructure and lower life expectancy that Australia. America’s public finances are much worse than Australia’s, with huge deficits and a growing public debt. Its economy has grown much more slowly than Australia’s over the past decade; its middle classes have actually shrunk since the mid-1970s.

You’d have to be a certain sort of person to want this future for Australia. You’d have to be driven by ideology, not evidence. You’d have to have internalised a certain type of economic theory that tells you that markets are always better, and that governments are always worse. You’d have no fear of cuts to government benefits or services, because your large personal fortune ensures you can always pay the best for everything.

Needless to say, no one who worked on this Audit was a homeless person, a worker on minimum wage, or someone with a permanent disability. Instead, an unrepresentative and partisan group has used shoddy arithmetic and junk economics in an attempt to destroy a century of Australian social welfare.

Laura Tingle:

quote:

Philosophical blueprint takes us back to 1901
Laura Tingle
Political editor

Tony Shepherd has observed that in looking for guidance on how to overhaul government spending, his National Commission of Audit had gone back to the Constitution.

He could have equally said the commission wants to take us back to 1901 and the original envisioning of how the federation would work.

That is not necessarily a bad thing, just a very different world to the one we now know. It is a world where the federal government was little more than a post box and the states were the primary collectors of income taxation and the primary deliverer of services like health and education.

But in the context of 2014, it is a world which – if the Coalition chooses to travel there – offers the spectre of an almost certain new divide and contest in Australian politics between the federalist Coalition and an almost certainly centralist Labor Party, not to mention the rise of a more hotly contested intra-state political competition.

Hell, in an echo of the 1907 Harvester Judgment that established much of Australia’s subsequent political discourse, there is even a recommendation on a process for cutting the minimum wage.

We already know there is much in the commission of audit’s report that will never, ever be implemented. The government has already told us so.

But when you read the report, it is obvious how much the “vibe of the thing” has influenced the public utterances of the Prime Minister, Treasurer and cabinet ministers about where they want to take public policy during their tenure in office.

Major speeches by Tony Abbott, Joe Hockey, Health Minister Peter Dutton, as well as two offshore speeches by Education Minister Christopher Pyne and Foreign Minister Julie Bishop all read from the commission’s song sheet.

So you should read the commission’s report as the philosophical blueprint of the government, albeit with assumptions that many of its recommendations may ultimately be implemented in spirit rather than in the detail.

If the Prime Minister is serious about pursuing the commission’s federalist vision, the sheer complexity of the task could consume the government for much of its time in office, even though it has already signalled it will have a white paper process to consider federalism questions later this year.

The commission’s proposals to undo the current system of “fiscal equalisation” – in which wealthier states support states doing it tougher – may have some superficial appeal to donor states, particularly Western Australia. But just imagine the nightmare of trying to get an agreement from all the states on rewriting the whole system.

That is even before we get to questions of a double layered income tax structure in which the federal government collects its own income tax, then an income tax surcharge (different for each state) for the next level of government.

In the meantime, the questions raised by the report are the ones about the medium-term outlook for the budget and, of course, what it tells us about what will be in the budget.

The striking thing about the commission’s projections is just how slowly it predicts a fall in government spending, despite all its proposals for radical change. Consider this: the first Howard budget knocked spending as a percentage of GDP down by 1 percentage point in a year.

The audit’s projections foreshadow a 2 percentage point fall occurring over 10 years – and half of this is predicted to occur in the next two to three years as a result of decisions already taken by the former government. And that is despite estimating its savings proposals could improve the budget bottom line by $60 billion to $70 billion a year.

It is despite recommending, in the medium term, increases in the pension age, comprehensive new pension means tests, forcing young unemployed people to move after 12 months, and renegotiating hospital funding. The commission says the federal budget can get back to balance in 2018-19 and surplus by 2019-20 under its proposals. However, that surplus is based on revenue figures way above what itself advocates.

It has the budget going into the black, with revenue hitting 25 per cent of GDP – even though it argues the cap should be 24 per cent.

More dangerously for the Coalition, it also does not seek to start giving back “bracket creep” and maintaining revenue at a capped rate until 2019-20.

The government has already been throwing out burley in the form of promises of personal tax cuts in four years to appease voters outraged by the proposed short-term “debt tax”.

The spectre of either side of politics being able to resist the urge to give tax cuts for more than five years seems unlikely at best. If so, that means a surplus remains a long way off.

In the next fortnight, considerable energy will be exerted on speculating which measures will be taken up in the budget. And there is plenty of radical change to government spending in the report that is likely to find its way into the budget: from shunting high to middle income earners out of Medicare to much speculated changes to the age pension, Medicare co-payments and abolition of family tax benefits.

There is the political embarrassment for Abbott of yet another rebuff on his paid parental leave scheme (which the commission politely makes clear is a dud), and a recommendation to get rid of the controversial election campaign funding of $16 million to the Cadbury factory in Tasmania.

The upside, presumably, is that some of the recommendations are so “out there” the government will be able to let them run for the next week or so, in the hope voters will be relieved they are not in the budget.

But after the debacle of increased taxes, voters might not be in any mood for that message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So if I'm following this correctly, we're either up for the great depression or the american civil war?

• Locked thread