Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In 2010, a documentary film came out called Catfish. In it, a guy named Nev Schulman had become romantically involved with a girl named Megan online...or so he thought. He had also become friends with Megan's family over Facebook, including her mother Angela and Angela's husband Vince. He tracks down the person he thought he'd been carrying on a relationship with only to find out that the person he'd been talking to was actually Megan's mother, Angela, a middle-aged married woman with two mentally challenged kids that she takes care of full-time, who claimed to have cancer and just wanted something to do. We later find out that she never actually had cancer and Megan was not a real person. Basically, just about everything Angela had told Nev was a lie.

What is a "catfish", you ask? Well:

Wikipedia posted:

Vince, talking with Nev, tells a story. He says that when live cod were shipped to Asia from North America, the fish's inactivity in their tanks resulted in only mushy flesh reaching the destination; but fishermen found that putting catfish in the tanks with the cod kept them active, and thus ensured the quality of the fish. Vince talks of how there are people in everyone's lives who keep us active, always on our toes and always thinking. It is implied that he believes Angela to be such a person.
Essentially, a "catfish" in the context of the film/show is someone who leads someone else on for some purpose.

So in 2012, following the success of the film, Nev and his filmmaker partner Max Joseph decided to reach out to people across the country who were in relationships either online or over the phone but had never met the other person and believed they might be getting "catfished". Hence, Catfish: The TV Show was born.

In order to track down the "catfish" in an episode of the show, Nev and Max will use various tactics such as looking up phone numbers/addresses online, using reverse Google image search, talking to friends/family members, etc. And a lot of the time, the catfish will be someone the person knows, like a friend, family member, former friend or ex-girlfriend/boyfriend.

To give you an idea of how crazy the show can get, here's what happened on last night's episode: This girl Carmen writes in to the show, as she is concerned that her cousin Antwane is being catfished by a guy named Tony he met through a gay phone chat line. Antwane and Tony have been talking to each other for 3 years but have never met. Antwane barely knows anything about Tony: not his last name, not what he looks like, not where he lives, etc. Nev and Max do some research and discover that Tony might be in jail. But since they aren't completely sure, they decide to check out 3 different addresses that came up in their research. 2 of the addresses have residents but the residents do not know who Tony is. The 3rd and final address is an abandoned, padlocked house in a terrible part of town. After finishing looking around at the 3rd house and feeling discouraged about their search, out of nowhere Carmen blurts out "I'm Tony." As it turns out, Antwane had said some bad poo poo about her years ago and so Carmen, vowing revenge, created the Tony persona and decided to get Antwane on Catfish so she could reveal herself to him on national television. She has different voices she uses, so Antwane never caught on that it was her. At the end of the episode, Antwane, feeling betrayed, decides to no longer maintain any type of contact with his cousin Carmen.

You can watch that full episode right here on MTV's website.

So if that sounds :psyboom: enough for you and you want to start watching the show, it airs Wednesday nights on MTV at 10/9c. And after each episode airs, there's a live show which Nev and Max, the catfished and the catfish themselves all attend and talk about the episode.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I actually really enjoy this poo poo, it's horrible watching people be crushed by the truth, and hilarious seeing how people who have fallen "In love" online quickly lose all those feelings when they discover their online partner is a big fat ham beast rather than a sexy lil farm girl or something.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

How/why did you manage to post straight from wikipedia but not mention the part telling you it's complete bullshit? The "documentary" was fake and the show is mostly made up bullshit. You're watching MTV's version of Jerry Springer basically.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Midnight City posted:

How/why did you manage to post straight from wikipedia but not mention the part telling you it's complete bullshit? The "documentary" was fake and the show is mostly made up bullshit. You're watching MTV's version of Jerry Springer basically.

Well I guess you were also too lazy to post from wiki so here:

quote:

In February 2013, Hollywood.com published a detailed report on how episodes for the series are produced.[7] In almost every instance, the catfish (the person whose identity is "unknown") is the first one to make contact with MTV. For legal reasons, all persons involved on the series sign contracts agreeing to appear on camera prior to the episode even entering production. However, much of Nev and Max's research into them is apparently genuine, as Nev has not personally talked to them before filming begins. Often the catfish and catfishee had already stopped communicating, but agree to resume their relationship for the sake of being able to appear on the show.

I can see where that could be described as "fake" in a sense but it's not scripted and these are things that actually happened to people, regardless of how it happened.

The show is entertaining not because it's 100% "real", it's just entertaining on its own. I don't think anyone watches an MTV "real world" type show expecting it to be a literal filming of gospel truth. :jerkbag:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, I hadn't heard about the catfish contacting MTV first. That's kind of disappointing, but I guess it's to be expected. And yeah, that doesn't make the show any less entertaining. I've always known that the events in the show can't happen exactly as they're presented, but I still watch it and it's still hilarious to me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

A key factor in enjoying any "reality" show is understanding that "reality" has very little to do with any of it.

SNL did a parody of the show which pretty much encapsulates every episode:
https://screen.yahoo.com/catfish-000000939.html

(did you know Yahoo had a Youtube knockoff? Neither did I)

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 16, 2014

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
This is a glorious trainwreck and I am glad that it is back.

What astounds me is that people are so blinded that they don't do the "sniff test" to see if something is too good to be true. No one has heard of Google? No one has tried to image search? Don't those pictures seem to look like models- nah, this hot chick really thinks my nerdy rear end is adorable!

Bring it on... cannot wait.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One of the craziest episodes of all was the Jess & Artis episode, in which this guy Artis, who already had a girlfriend, was supposedly conducting a relationship with this girl Jess, but it turned out to actually be a guy named Justin. Justin is this vigilante who takes it upon himself to make sure guys don't gently caress around in their relationships because his girlfriend had been cheated on and he wanted to ensure that that didn't happen to anyone else.

Here's the reveal where Nev, Max and Artis all meet "Jess" (who turns out to be Justin) for the first time, and it's some real bizarre poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XicfY8iHzuE

Apparently it came out after the show aired that Justin is actually an aspiring actor and the whole thing was staged, and now Justin and Artis are friends and planning on working together on something.

raditts posted:

A key factor in enjoying any "reality" show is understanding that "reality" has very little to do with any of it.

SNL did a parody of the show which pretty much encapsulates every episode:
https://screen.yahoo.com/catfish-000000939.html

(did you know Yahoo had a Youtube knockoff? Neither did I)
Ahahahaha, this owns and is pretty spot on, actually :golfclap:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 16, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

One of the craziest episodes of all was the Jess & Artis episode, in which this guy Artis, who already had a girlfriend, was supposedly conducting a relationship with this girl Jess, but it turned out to actually be a guy named Justin. Justin is this vigilante who takes it upon himself to make sure guys don't gently caress around in their relationships because his girlfriend had been cheated on and he wanted to ensure that that didn't happen to anyone else.

Here's the reveal where Nev, Max and Artis all meet "Jess" (who turns out to be Justin) for the first time, and it's some real bizarre poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XicfY8iHzuE

Apparently it came out after the show aired that Justin is actually an aspiring actor and the whole thing was staged, and now Justin and Artis are friends and planning on working together on something.

He has a bright career ahead of him playing "creepy neckbeard" roles I guess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight's new episode: Antoinette and T-Lights (hahaha, that name :wtc:).

Like somebody's picture on Instagram > fall in love with them.
Sending them Emjois through texts = being in love.

Yeah, this is gonna be ratchet as gently caress. Also that "aspiring rapper constantly in the studio" line has been used before by another catfish on this show.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always like how they wrote into the show so try obviously have doubts about the validity of the person but they refuse to believe any of the contradictory research that Nev finds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do they rerun it because no loving way I'm skipping the Americans. Oh I guess it'll be up on the website anyhow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Do they rerun it because no loving way I'm skipping the Americans. Oh I guess it'll be up on the website anyhow.
They're re-running it at 11 Central (midnight Eastern). And they usually re-run these at various times throughout the next week after they air. And yeah, it'll be up on the site too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

They're re-running it at 11 Central (midnight Eastern). And they usually re-run these at various times throughout the next week after they air. And yeah, it'll be up on the site too.

Good, because from that picture this looks like it's gonna be a classic. :munch:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Good, because from that picture this looks like it's gonna be a classic. :munch:
I thought it would be too, but honestly it was pretty disappointing :smith: Not even close to being as insane as the last episode.

The next episode looks loving crazy from the preview though :suspense:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I love this show but I think it's because I've been catfished so many times.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is Nev going to have some kind of minor psychotic break in every episode this season? I had a good laugh at him chucking the guy's phone into the harbor but I really wonder how much of the show is genuine.

e: Extra :laffo: at them playing a "sample" of something they recorded there followed by Max whipping out his phone and seeing who really recorded it on Shazam.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 29, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

raditts posted:

Is Nev going to have some kind of minor psychotic break in every episode this season? I had a good laugh at him chucking the guy's phone into the harbor but I really wonder how much of the show is genuine.

e: Extra :laffo: at them playing a "sample" of something they recorded there followed by Max whipping out his phone and seeing who really recorded it on Shazam.

It was a great episode. I was saying to my friend, I think the misattributed music may have struck a nerve with Nev, reminding him of his own Catfish situation. Haha.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 29, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, that kept getting weirder and weirder once they got to the "studio".

I loved when Nev casually tossed that dude's phone into the water. "That's a cool case. Can I see that?" Then the guy hands him the phone, and Nev, while smiling, just flips it into the water and says "Now how does it feel to lose something? :smug: " Hahahahaha

e: Jesus, that preview for next week. "Sammy made her up, then gave her cancer, then killed her.....for attention." :lol:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 29, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

e: Jesus, that preview for next week. "Sammy made her up, then gave her cancer, then killed her.....for attention." :lol:

For a second, when it cut to that adorable segment with the kid at the end, I was worried that next week's episode was going to be about a kid getting Catfished, somehow. :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So tonight's episode...this girl, after interacting with her favorite celebrities on Twitter, created a fake person in order to get double the amount of interactions, and she even went so far as to film her own cousin's funeral to make it look like the character she had created had died from cancer :psyduck:

e: The guy in next week's episode looks like a serious goon hahaha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 5, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was completely unlike any other episode and pretty awesome honestly.

Also, I love Nev and Max, they're just charming dudes and the amount of crazy they put up with is really impressive.

Reminder the episodes go up on MTV the next day:

http://www.mtv.com/shows/catfish/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

quote:

On tonight’s episode John has only spoken to Kelsey online. Wondering who Kelsey is he asks Nev and Max to help him out, to see if Kelsey is who she says she is. Will John get what he’s expecting or will he be left disappointed?
I think in the promo last week, they were saying that this catfish didn't want to be found and they were getting led to fake addresses, so like the Antwane and Tony episode, except hopefully Kelsey won't be John's cousin :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never wanted to slap the gently caress out of someone on a TV show this badly before. Jesus tapdancing Christ, what a fucknugget.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I have never wanted to slap the gently caress out of someone on a TV show this badly before. Jesus tapdancing Christ, what a fucknugget.
Yeah he looked like this guy I know and don't particularly like which made it even worse.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They telegraphed who the guy would be pretty hard this episode, but god drat what a pathetic douchebag. The looks on John's face when the guy had to explain what he'd done to his "girlfriend" halfway across the planet were hilarious.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ah, the classic case of a gross loser who somehow thinks he's way smarter than he actually is.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Puppet master lol

"I'm the Joker"

haha I wish they clowned that dude more

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This bow wow episode is insane.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 13, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've only see one or two episodes but I curious, does this show ever have a happy ending? It seems like if the show "Catfish" is doing a story on you you should be bracing for impact. Like if you take yourself seriously as a political person and The Daily Show calls you for an interview. Are the people all just deluded like the Daily Show victims who are convinced they are going to be the ones who this works out for? Or is it just all a case of people looking to get on tv, making stuff up, or who know their story is doomed and just want to finish it with fireworks?

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

STAC Goat posted:

I've only see one or two episodes but I curious, does this show ever have a happy ending? It seems like if the show "Catfish" is doing a story on you you should be bracing for impact. Like if you take yourself seriously as a political person and The Daily Show calls you for an interview. Are the people all just deluded like the Daily Show victims who are convinced they are going to be the ones who this works out for? Or is it just all a case of people looking to get on tv, making stuff up, or who know their story is doomed and just want to finish it with fireworks?

There was one episode where this girl had been talking to a guy online for eight years. By the time she realized she loved him she had a kid and he kept being evasive about meeting. In a surprise twist, he was exactly who he said he was, the reason he was so hesitant to meet was that he had loved her for some time and wanted his life to be in perfect order before they met.

But that's really the only time I recall it ending on a really happy note.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

The Antoinette and T-Lights ended with the dude being who he was supposed to be.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's been a few times where the two people have ended up meeting and continued a relationship of some kind, but more often than not the catfished will feel resentment for the catfish or get over it but still not want to have any sort of relationship with that person.

DrManiac posted:

The Antoinette and T-Lights ended with the dude being who he was supposed to be.
Even in the Antoinette and T-Lights episode, the dude was who he was supposed to be but they ended up not continuing their relationship after the show because they lived too far apart or whatever.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Even in the Antoinette and T-Lights episode, the dude was who he was supposed to be but they ended up not continuing their relationship after the show because they lived too far apart or whatever.

I also had the sneaky suspicion that the married brother was the one talking to her all that time and little bro was just covering for him. It would explain the super awkwardness between them and him immediately dropping her after the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's been a few times where the two people have ended up meeting and continued a relationship of some kind, but more often than not the catfished will feel resentment for the catfish or get over it but still not want to have any sort of relationship with that person.

Well I assume these cases aren't just a matter of "I'm actually fat" or "I have bad teeth". That would be pretty shallow and if you're "in love" with someone and reject them because they're physically imperfect that's pretty superficial. I got the impression that the show deals with cases more like the movie's, where its a bigger lie and the person isn't at all who they said they were and there's really no hope for a relationship, at least not like the romantic one they had.

I don't know. I guess I could never see myself spending years in an online relationship without taking the next logical step of meeting. The most I've ever done was a couple of weeks or months of talking with a friend of a friend before we met up. So I guess maybe I just can't imagine if I did spend years in a relationship like that without ever meeting someone that I wouldn't be already assuming the worst and just cut my losses. I find myself wondering what these people expect when they're being filmed by the tv show "Catfish".

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
The creepy nerd dude from the most recent episode is still in a relationship with the faroese girl he created an internet persona to stalk her and divert competition with. So, that's happy?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thecolorpurple posted:

The creepy nerd dude from the most recent episode is still in a relationship with the faroese girl he created an internet persona to stalk her and divert competition with. So, that's happy?

Her weird little island country must be completely devoid of dudes because otherwise what the Hell, girlfriend. SEVER!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

DrManiac posted:

I also had the sneaky suspicion that the married brother was the one talking to her all that time and little bro was just covering for him. It would explain the super awkwardness between them and him immediately dropping her after the show.

I felt the same way.

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described

Pillowpants posted:

I felt the same way.

Same here. I think the brother was even looking all nervous and sheepishly at her as well after the concert, but I can't recall exactly and I don't feel like looking it up online to check. Plus he was the "social media manager" so uh, yeah. It was soooo him. What's-his-face seemed like he was way too busy to be carrying on that kind of relationship/time investment with all of his recording and performing. The brother on the other hand...

God I love this show. Between Max and Nev being charming/silly and hilarious, the trainwreck quotient, and the guys flipping out almost every episode this season, it's my reality tv guilty pleasure. Like others have said, I give no fucks how much it's staged, I just love me some entertaining vicarious drama.

I really enjoyed the latest episode with the goony as gently caress puppetmaster, and how they Skyped in Ellie. I can't believe she's still in a relationship with that dork, though he could have been lying since they didn't talk to her afterward. Part of me was hoping for a John and Ellie magical romance after the reveal, but that might have been too unbelievable even for this show. Ahem.

thexerox123, thanks for posting the phone-chucking .gif!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Carrot Wheel posted:

I really enjoyed the latest episode with the goony as gently caress puppetmaster, and how they Skyped in Ellie. I can't believe she's still in a relationship with that dork, though he could have been lying since they didn't talk to her afterward. Part of me was hoping for a John and Ellie magical romance after the reveal, but that might have been too unbelievable even for this show. Ahem.

thexerox123, thanks for posting the phone-chucking .gif!

Ellie didn't seem like she really cared (the smile never really left her face) about the hosed up creepy stuff Adam did. I'd imagine someone awkward enough to be in a group like like would latch on to anything they got even if it's a greasy nerd.

I think the part I like least in the show is the day after the confrontation where it's pretty clear the catfish(er?) had been coached to appear more sympathetic. That's when the dumb rear end sob stories come out. Like, the nerd linger when from "I had cyber sex with you for years yet I'm the mastermind somehow :troll:" to "I did it because I in looove". Just let me hate the unrepentant shithead.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 14, 2014

• Locked thread