Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Just like the specie they share a nickname with, the golden generation of Ivory Coast is on it's last legs.

They failed to win anything of note when Didier DROGBA, Kolo Toure and Didier Zokora were in their prime years so it's foolish to think they'll do anything of note this World Cup.
The teams in Group C looks very even (Japan, Greece and Colombia) and it wouldn't be too surprising if the Ivory Coast only manages to take 3rd in it.

GOALKEEPER - Boubacar Barry (Lokeren)
The weakest point of the Ivory Coast squad is, like with many african squads, the goal keeper. You won't win any titles with Boubacar Barry in goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIjOlgLy2_s

RIGHT BACK - Serge Aurier (Toulouse)
Emmanuel Eboue has not been selected and it looks like future Arsenal player, and by extension, future ballon d'Or candidate, Serge Aurier will be storming up and down the right side.

CENTRAL DEFENCE Kolo Toure (Liverpool), Didier Zokora (Trabzonspor)
The central defence will be a solid duo of used car dealers, Kolo Toure and Dider Zokora.

(Kolo Toure pictured in the shower of an unknown woman. It's unclear if she knows who he is)

Idk much about Didier Zokora, except someone once called him a bad word and then that player got brutally rekted, which is good in my opinoin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcnfUup3JLY

LEFT BACK Arthur Boka (Transfering to Malaga I think)
Left back will be played by Arthur Boka, who according to wikipedia is known for his "lightning pace even though he is a man of very small build". Solid research like that makes writing this guide an absolute joy.

The average official age of the defence is 32 years, the rumored and more likely average age is 36 years

MIDFIELD Cheick Tiote (Newcastle), Serey Die(Basel), Yaya Toure(Manchester City)
The midfield is where the Ivory Coast really shines.

First up we got tough lad Cheick Tiote who can hit a ball really hard and average a yellow card every second match.

As evidenced by his cranium structure, he was destined to either play football or model those dinosaurs that headbutt eachother. loving hell, what a big rear end fat head.

Serey Die is the guy who'll be playing alongside Tiote in the "deeper" midfield role. He plays for Basel which is in Switzerland or maybe Belgium, either way, if he was any good he would probably play for a bigger club like Manchester United.

Picture by my buddy EmmRow

These two playing in a deeper midfield role opens up for the one and only

:siren:

The beginnings
code:
Touré joined the ASEC Mimosas youth academy in 1996 on the recommendation of
his long-time mentor Patrick van Reijendam. A prominent figure in the ASEC academy
was Jean-Marc Guillou. In 2001 Guillou invested heavily in a Belgian club, Beveren,
with the aim of using the team to showcase Ivorian players in a European league.[8]
Touré moved to Beveren in 2001, one of many ASEC players to do so in this period; by
2003 he was one of 14 Ivorians in the Beveren squad.

In the summer of 2003, Touré had a trial with Arsenal
Lucky for Toure he did the right think and turned down Arsenal.

code:
After playing for a ton of poo poo clubs, Yaya Toure caught the eye of FC
Barcelona. The fact that a a club like the dirty racist Cules would consider signing
a black player is a testament to how great of a player Yaya Toure is.

Yaya Toure did brilliantly for FC Barcelona but as a coloured person you'll always
have the odds against you in Barcelona. Guardiola started playing Busquets ahead of
Yaya Toure. Yaya Toure would have none of that and straight up demanded a transfer
away from Barcelona and ended up joining Manchester City
At Manchester City, everything looked great until the fucktards forgot his birthday. Even though most of the Manchester City fans remember the days they played in League Two - and they're definitely just happy to be in the Premier League, they still worry about losing their Black Saviour.

ATTACK Gervinho (Roma), Didier DROGBA(Galatsaray), Kalou (Lille)
The charge on the right(or maybe left wing, idk) will be lead by Giraffe-Human hybrid Gervinho. Gervinho has had a solid year with the proud Romans and there's even rumours about him and his hair joining Monaco for a stupid sum of money.

Gervinho is often ridiculed by his haircut, but he saves a ton of curtains haha

loving Kalou will be playing on the other wing. You can be certain that the phrase "loving Kalou" will be a global twitter trend whenever Ivory Coast plays.

Although Didier DROGBA is officially 36 years old he still got it. He has lost a lot of pace but he won't have to outrun anyone. As a strong lad with a good first touch, he'll just wait for the tricky wingers to beat their man and cross it to him.

Word bro.

Their other attackers include all the FIFA 14 favourites such as DROGBA-clone Wildfied Bony, fast lad Seydou Doumbia and Ivory Coasts answer to Stephen Merchant, Lacina Traore.

code:
                   Boubacar Barry
Serge Aurier - Kolo Toure - Didier Zokora - Arthur Boka
            Cheik Tiote ------ Serey Die
   Gervinho  -------- Yaya Toure --------- Kalou
                    Didier DROGBA
*gets out the ol' book of cliches*
Ivory Coast's worst enemy has always been themselves. This has not changed and it seems too late for the golden generation to win anything - the future also looks very bleak after the World Cup. DROGBA won't live forever and Kolo Toure has a ton of used cars to sell.

THE 5 PLAYERS TO WATCH ACCORDING TO canada.com
Didier DROGBA, Yaya Toure, Gervinho, Didier Zokora, Serge Aurier

code:
Full provisional squad
Goalkeepers: Boubacar Barry (Lokeren/BEL), Sayouba Mande (Stabaek/NOR), Sylvain Gbohouo (Sewe San Pedro/CIV), Ali Badra Sangare (ASEC Mimosas/CIV)

Defenders: Kolo Toure (Liverpool/ENG), Arthur Boka (Stuttgart/GER), Jean-Daniel Akpa Akpro (Toulouse/FRA), Serge Aurier (Toulouse/FRA), Ousmane Viera Diarrassouba (Caykur Rizespor/TUR), Didier Zokora
(Trabzonspor/TUR), Constant Djakpa (Frankfurt/GER), Brice Dja Djedje (Marseille/FRA), Benjamin Angoua Brou (Valenciennes/FRA), Bamba Souleymane (Trabzonspor/TUR)

Midfielders: Ismael Diomande (St Etienne/FRA), Max Gradel (St Etienne/FRA), Yaya Toure (Manchester City/ENG), Ismael Cheick Tiote (Newcastle/ENG), Geoffroy Serey Die (Basel/SUI), Didier Ya Konan
(Hanover/GER)

Forwards: Didier Drogba (Galatasaray/TUR), Gervinho (Roma/ITA), Salomon Kalou (Lille/FRA), Wilfried Bony (Swansea/ENG), Giovanni Sio (Basel/SUI), Mathis Bolly (Duesseldorf/GER), Seydou Doumbia (CSKA
Moscow/RUS), Lacina Traore (Everton/ENG)

Hegay fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.
Big fan of this OP - lots of lols to be had at the expense of a bunch of characters in the Cote D'Ivorie squad. 10/10

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm a little upset that Big Sam never signed Lacina Traore, the biggest of Big Men to play for West Ham. It's ok though because we've got Big Andy now, and Big Lacina gets to go to the World Cup and play for the happiest elephant team. Seriously, look how happy the elephant on the crest is. So happy.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

To our new and beloved World Cup posters, this is the lanky Lacina fellow

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I think they will do well. I like them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Was Yaya Banana ivorian because he had an awesome name. Also Tiote has got good at avoiding yellow cards now he only gets them every 3rd game

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Jose posted:

Was Yaya Banana ivorian because he had an awesome name. Also Tiote has got good at avoiding yellow cards now he only gets them every 3rd game

WOW, mods???

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
great op, op

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A quick google lets me know he's cameroonian

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tetsman posted:

great op, op

Thank you tetsman, will you be doing a "Les Bleus" thread?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Theyre taking part in the FIFA Retiree World Cup because there all old

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
all these Irish players got one hell of a tan

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Hegay posted:

Thank you tetsman, will you be doing a "Les Bleus" thread?

I'm on it

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
im gay

for drogba

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I thought Hegay was Spanish

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

poty posted:

I thought Hegay was Spanish

Lol no, I got a Spanish dad but I don't live there thank god

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
hegav's lovely country couldnt make it to the WC so hes stuck making threads about the cool countries that did hahah

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

hegav's lovely country couldnt make it to the WC so hes stuck making threads about the cool countries that did hahah

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
hell,

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

what THE gently caress, ivory coast is not a cool country

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Yaya Toure has got a "minor injury" and is probably sipping on some cold horse placenta at the moment. He should be able to join up with the team in a weeks time.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
all the Good Players are getting injured before the wc, ronaldo, falcao, suarez, now yaya...seems like its time for the USMNT to shine

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Some GIFs worthy of this beast team

Yaya, he's like a frigging freight train, takes him a while to reach top speed but good luck stopping him

Didier DROGBA making a fool out of Champions League champions Real Madrid

Cheick TIOTE, feel the friggin passion

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ivory coast is my fave and i'm pleased they didn't get the group of death for a 3rd time running.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ivory coast is my fave and i'm pleased they didn't get the group of death for a 3rd time running.

Hello, OP here. After doing some more research I'm warming up to them. Sabri Lamouchi will lead them to glory.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hegay posted:

Lol no, I got a Spanish dad but I don't live there thank god

My Spanish dad...

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Reminder that Ivory Coast will be playing Bosnia in 2 days, so get whatever the opposite of bananas is, ready

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I wonder how much run Bony will get in this WC.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

thompson posted:

I wonder how much run Bony will get in this WC.

Probably depends on whether Drogba gets broken because they're pretty similar players and even if Bony is better I don't think Lamouchi has the balls to bench him

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-defender-kolo-toure-7197364

Kolo Toure got malaria

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

That's at least twice he's had it now. He took forever to recover from it the last time he had it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Isn't malaria one of those things that once you've had it, it just comes back every so often? Or am I thinking of spider bites

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Good excuse to get on some gear?? I dunno but IIRC he had problems with "weight loss" drugs before

bignose
Mar 21, 2006
fucked up
Arthur Boka is an absolute garbageman and helped almost relegate Stuttgart, hope they got better people in defense

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Hegay posted:

Idk much about Didier Zokora, except someone once called him a bad word and then that player got brutally rekted, which is good in my opinoin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcnfUup3JLY

The guy holds a mean grudge - Zokora butchered Emre again a year later just to make sure he'd got his point across: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYL6W5yyRBE

Is Turkish football normally that brutal, or does everyone including the referees and the Turkish Constitutional Court judges just hate Emre?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Great news for our beloved Ivory Coast, Kolo Toure will be on the plane to Brazil proving once again that malaria is not dangerous and Bill Gates is wasting his money.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The final 23

Goalkeepers: Boubacar Barry (Lokeren), Sylvain Gbohouo (Sewe Sport), Sayouba Mande (Stabaek).
Defenders: Serge Aurier (Toulouse), Jean-Daniel Akpa-Akpro (Toulouse), Didier Zokora (Trabzonspor), Kolo Toure (Liverpool), Sol Bamba (Trabzonspor), Arthur Boka (Stuttgart), Constant Djakpa (Frankfurt), Ousmane Diarrassouba (Caykur Rizespor).
Midfielders: Cheik Tiote (Newcastle), Die Serey (Basle), Ismael Diomande (St Etienne), Didier Ya Konan (Hannover), Yaya Toure (Manchester City), Max Gradel (St Etienne).
Forwards: Didier Drogba (Galatasaray), Wilfried Bony (Swansea), Gervinho (Roma), Salomon Kalou (Lille), Giovanni Sio (Basle), Mathis Bolly (Fortuna Dusseldorf).

Lacina Traore(lanky tall fellow, Ivory Coast have plenty of em), Seydou Doumbia(really fast dude, Ivory Coast could probably have used him since Drogba and Bony are real similar and who the gently caress is Mathis Bolly???), Badra Ali, Brou Angoua and Brice Dja Djedje

Also wiki tells me that Seydou Doumbia was top scorer in the Russian League? And he's real sick in FIFA 14.. what a loss, rip bruh

seems good to me

e: Seydou Doumbia has not taken the news well and have chosen to retire from international football at the age of 26.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 4, 2014

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Lacina Traoré's omission is heightism, pure and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tiote owns a lot and Drogba literally stopped a civil war so I'd like the Ivory Coast to do well

• Locked thread