Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'm asking the important etymological questions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
who is your daddy and what does he do

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
ask epistemological questions too

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
can we ever really know if schwarzeneger means black friend of the family

can we??

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
ITS NOT A TUMOR.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
It means "black egg" close thread

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
it means black negro, op

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
govenator
"i'll be back"

ololololol

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Schwarzenegger is a German surname that means person from Schwarzenegg, which is both a town in Switzerland and a place in Land Salzburg in Austria. "Schwarzen" means "black," and "egg" (from the same root as the German word "ecke" for "corner") refers to a ridge, e.g., Eggli (long ridge), Eggiman (lives on a ridge), and Eggler (farms on a ridge).[1] Notable people with the surname include:

Arnold Schwarzenegger (born 1947), Austrian-American former bodybuilder, film actor, and politician
Gustav Schwarzenegger (1907–1972), Austrian police chief, once married to Aurelia Jadrný (1922–1998), father of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Katherine Schwarzenegger (born 1989), American author, daughter of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Patrick Schwarzenegger (born 1993), American entrepreneur, actor and model, son of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Christian Schwarzenegger (born 1959), Swiss legal scientist and professor of criminal law at University of Zurich, related to Arnold Schwarzenegger

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
also arnold is german for gay

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Belgian posted:

also arnold is german for gay

im arnold

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sabel posted:

Schwarzenegger is a German surname that means person from Schwarzenegg, which is both a town in Switzerland and a place in Land Salzburg in Austria. "Schwarzen" means "black," and "egg" (from the same root as the German word "ecke" for "corner") refers to a ridge, e.g., Eggli (long ridge), Eggiman (lives on a ridge), and Eggler (farms on a ridge).[1] Notable people with the surname include:

Arnold Schwarzenegger (born 1947), Austrian-American former bodybuilder, film actor, and politician
Gustav Schwarzenegger (1907–1972), Austrian police chief, once married to Aurelia Jadrný (1922–1998), father of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Katherine Schwarzenegger (born 1989), American author, daughter of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Patrick Schwarzenegger (born 1993), American entrepreneur, actor and model, son of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Christian Schwarzenegger (born 1959), Swiss legal scientist and professor of criminal law at University of Zurich, related to Arnold Schwarzenegger
Hmm, I always thought it meant "black Egger" (Egger being someone who operates a harrow (Egge in German), which is a specialized type of plow.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Sabel posted:

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

y'know, i learned something 2day

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Missing a g there, chief.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Fandyien posted:

i'm asking the important etymological questions here.

serious post: i asked this question before and supposedly its roots actually came from "blacksmith", it just sounds super similar to "black rear end"

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Sabel posted:

Missing a g there, chief.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i dont believe u guhys

Nog
May 15, 2006

Schwarzenegger, not Schwarzeneggar.

Morphological analysis is Schwarz-en-egg-er. Egg is an Upper-German (i.e. Southern) variant of Ecke = corner, cognate to English edge. Here it carries an older meaning: a mountain-peak, -edge or -slope. An Egger is someone who lives there. Schwarz means black, schwarzen is an accusative or dative form, though the inflected form might be just schwarze in which case -n- is a kind of "glue" letter without meaning; both analyses are possible, you can't tell and it doesn't matter.

Hence, a Schwarzenegger is someone who lives on a black mountain-peak, -edge or -slope.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

ripped0ff posted:

Schwarzenegger, not Schwarzeneggar.

Morphological analysis is Schwarz-en-egg-er. Egg is an Upper-German (i.e. Southern) variant of Ecke = corner, cognate to English edge. Here it carries an older meaning: a mountain-peak, -edge or -slope. An Egger is someone who lives there. Schwarz means black, schwarzen is an accusative or dative form, though the inflected form might be just schwarze in which case -n- is a kind of "glue" letter without meaning; both analyses are possible, you can't tell and it doesn't matter.

Hence, a Schwarzenegger is someone who lives on a black mountain-peak, -edge or -slope.

arnold black negro

Nog
May 15, 2006

i know i'm ruining the fun, but arnold is a hero of mine

i want to get super ripped on steroids, make millions, get to bang a hot kennedy, cheat on her with no real consequences, and become a state governor

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

google remembers your old searches and uses them to aid the translation, and it seems you're a big fan of his even though his name is kinda racist when you think about it

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I love you butplug marry me.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

ripped0ff posted:

i want to get super ripped on steroids, make millions, get to bang a hot kennedy, cheat on her with no real consequences, and become a state governor

he's definite proof that a black negro can achieve the american dream

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I hope the mods kill this thread last (I'm lying)

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
i hope someone kills u

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ripped0ff posted:

what a retarded hero

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
No, it's 'negger' like a PUA

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

there's no fag to english translation on google

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Google's TTS thing is great.
https://translate.google.com/?sourc...ead%2C%20kiddo.
Click speaker.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

A+

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
literally read this entire thread in an arnold voice.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Fandyien posted:

what a retarded hero

yes, this is another reason to idolize him, he overcame his crippling mental handicaps and learned to read and write

a true inspiration to us all

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Tailored Sauce posted:

literally read this entire thread in an arnold voice.

Arnold loving Schwarzy posted:

Everybody, behave and stop bickering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlxoyw_8I7I

• Locked thread