Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for June, 2014?
This poll is closed.
:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 33 31.13%
Daniel Bryan (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 8 7.55%
:hurr: John Cena (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 4 3.77%
:wiggle: Shinsuke Nakamura (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 7 6.60%
:colbert: Bad Luck Fake (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 7 6.60%
Adam Cole (FORMER ROH World Champion) 6 5.66%
:manning: Michael Elgin (ROH World Champion) 19 17.92%
Eric Young (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 3 2.83%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 7 6.60%
:kamina: Satoshi Kojima (FORMER NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 5 4.72%
:nixon: *Expletive Deleted* (Cursing Lack of Viable Options Champion) 7 6.60%
Total: 106 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, AJ Styles was just too sweet, and won a narrow but clear victory over the beloved Daniel Bryan whose post-Mania title reign was unmistakably hobbled by his injury and relative lack of personal appearances. With Bryan almost out of the picture is AJ set for a second month as PSP's choice for champion, or has one of the new or existing champions gained PSP's favor?

Remember, to be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently Punchsport Pagoda accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG or Dragon's Gate haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion don't defends their belts, but where the Champions don't even make an appearance/make a promo about their title.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone:

:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - This month AJ Styles spent his time in NJPW at the forefront of the now extraordinarily successful Bullet Club, which now hold most of the belts in the company. Tagging with the CHAOS turncoat that helped him gain the belt in the first place, AJ and Yujiro were able to defeat Okada and Ishii in a tag match roughly a week and a half before Yujiro won the NEVER title from Ishii. While he may not have had any singles matches or defended his belt (he's been wrestling the likes of Steen, Hero and Trent Baretta in the US for other promotions) he has been very visible and effective for his stable, probably the most dominant faction currently in pro-wrestling. But does the lack of defenses/singles matches cost him your vote?

Daniel Bryan (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Daniel Bryan did nothing this month. Injured and in a limbo where WWE wasn't sure if he would be ready in time for the PPV or not, an angle continued with Brie and Stephanie that was quickly put on hold when it became clear Bryan wouldn't be cleared in time. Stripped of the title very early in the month, Bryan has only made one appearance since to promise fans he would be back for HIS title/make fun of Bo Dallas. It would honestly be silly to vote for him.

:hurr: John Cena (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Love him or hate him you have to admit that John Cena is the greatest WWE Champion of all time! That's what Michael Cole said after Cena won the MITB Ladder match for the vacated titles, immediately enraging a lot of people. But while there WERE viable alternatives, there is no denying that Cena is an extraordinary safe pair of hands and not too surprising a reaction following Bryan's injury. Promising that he would give Bryan a title shot the moment he returned, Cena refused HHH's offer of playing ball and doing as he was told, and as a result will defend his belt for the first time at the next PPV in a fatal fourway against Orton and Kane AND Roman Reigns, who is one of those viable alternatives I mentioned. With Reigns' growing momentum and Seth Rollins holding the briefcase (and Brock Lesnar always somewhere just below the surface ready to strike) who knows how long those titles will stay in Cena's "safe hands".

:wiggle: Shinsuke Nakamura (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - The delightfully weird Shinsuke Nakamura was yet another victim of The Bullet Club's growing momentum this month. Losing his belt to the improving but still not particularly great Bad Luck Fale was a surprise, but maybe it means Nakamura now has a chance at that OTHER big belt in NJPW, currently held by Bullet Club figurehead AJ Styles.

:colbert: Bad Luck Fale (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Fale has been getting pushed recently, and though he still has plenty of room for improvement he has demonstrated those broad shoulders can seemingly take the pressure. Will the IC Title remain as prominent as it did under Nakamura and Tanahashi? Only time will tell, but Fale had a good start with a short but effective promo declaing he was taking his title home to Tonga and was issuing an open challenge to ANYBODY in the world who wanted a shot at him. Will Fale get your vote, or did beating Nakamura make him dead in your eyes?

Adam Cole (FORMER ROH World Champion) - After a lengthy title run where he greatly enjoyed heeling it up and beat every top guy that came after his belt, Cole finally ran up against an unbreakable opponent. Given his other promotions tend to only have televised matches/shows/do promos every couple of months or so, this might be your last chance to vote for Cole till the end of year voting.

:manning: Michael Elgin (ROH World Champion) - Unbreakable Michael Elgin has had many opportunities to win the ROH Title and always come up short, even while delivering MOTY performances. But there was no stopping him this time, and despite Cole throwing everything he could at him (including Maria!) Elgin finally won the big one. The match was yet another MOTYC for Elgin, perhaps only soured by the premature celebrations of the fans towards the very end of the match when they thought he had pinned Cole who had actually kicked out at two. But Elgin deserved the belt, deserved the adulation of the fans when he did win, and though you never know how long it will last, for now at least you can argue he truly is the Best in the World.

Eric Young (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Young promised to be a fighting champion and lived up to his word, taking on everybody who wanted a shot at his title. But it all proved too much after he successfully defended his belt in a well recieved Three Way Steel Cage match at Slammiversary against Bobby Lashley and Austin Aries. On the next Impact he once again faced Lashley, losing his belt though not his dedication to being a fighter. He has continued to work the main events and face off against Lashley and associates in the quest to get his title back from the evil authority figures who believe he isn't deserving of being champion.

:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Now known as Lashley, he is enjoying his first run as TNA World Heavyweight Champion. He has the look, and it isn't like other promotions (including WWE) haven't seen him as a main eventer in the past. You couldn't certainly do worse, though I suspect many would see Lashley being TNA Champion as a step-down from Eric Young. But maybe you disagree?

:kamina: Satoshi Kojima (FORMER NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Right at the start of the month, Kojima - who had been in America defending his belt - lost it to former Champion Ron Conway, who Kojima had beaten for the belt in the first place. That was all that Kojima did as NWA Champion during the month of June. Vote accordingly.

Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Conway's successful challenge for his former belt was the only action he took as NWA Champion for this month. If you have any extra information please post it in the thread and make a case for voting for him if you care. Otherwise there is only his match against Kojima to go from, sorry!

:nixon: *Expletive Deleted* (Cursing Lack of Viable Options Champion) - If somehow despite the ELEVEN different options available to you, you simply cannot choose a Champion to vote for; or if you don't care and just want to see results; or if you want to show your disapproval for thelack of any particular wrestler (please keep in mind what I say above re: PWG and Dragon's Gate!) then vote for this option. Or don't. It's up to you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Voted TNAsylum award winner AJ Styles

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Voted Cole because he's the only good champ to have a match this month.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

please correct the misspelling of future Champion of the Month Bad Luck Fale's name in the poll

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Voted Bad Luck Fale, fighting champion who even dared to call out legendary third generation superstar Curtis Axel

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gave it to Elgin over AJ because AJ didn't defend the belt or have any singles matches, while Elgin finally won the big one he'd been going after for so long.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

please correct the misspelling of future Champion of the Month Bad Luck Fale's name in the poll

Oh god loving dammit to hell and back. gently caress!

Only a mod can do it, so HulkaMatt if you see this can you fix it? Sorry.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Sorry Bad Luck, but I gotta go with Big Bob on this one

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Damnit, I wanted to vote for Shinsuke this month.

I guess it gotta be Elgin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

Damnit, I wanted to vote for Shinsuke this month.

I guess it gotta be Elgin.

Shinsuke is still a viable option to vote for if you liked him better than everybody else this month.

Until I did the poll I didn't quite grasp that EVERY championship apart from AJ's changed over the course of June.

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
Why is the best champ called Bad Luck Fake in the poll? This should be addressed immediately!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Bad Luck Fale, to counter the clear anti-Tongan (and thus anti-Meng) policies of Jerusalem.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Good job, Mike Elgin, you did it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Shinsuke is still a viable option to vote for if you liked him better than everybody else this month.

Until I did the poll I didn't quite grasp that EVERY championship apart from AJ's changed over the course of June.

I think voting for a guy who lost his belt without a sucessful defense is dumb 99% of the time. Can't vote for AJ either since he didn't defend his belt and KA's the main promo guy for Bullet Club.

Since I didn't get you the links like normal:

Nakamura vs. Fale for the IC title:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zzrmp_iwgp-intercontinental-championship-match-shinsuke-nakamura-c-vs-bad-luck-fale_sport

AJ Styles and Yujiro Takahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zzr7y_bullet-club-aj-styles-yujiro-takahashi-vs-chaos-kazuchika-okada-tomohiro-ishii_sport

This was AJ's big match of the month.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Super happy for Elgin. He's my favorite wrestler out there and, despite there being a good argument that they missed the boat on when they should've pulled the trigger/given him the belt, all the pieces fell in place and he won the belt while putting a lot of meaning into it.

He's definitely my champion of the month.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Going with EY on this one. Had some good to decent matches and I think his TNA Title run was cut criminally short.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Too-sweet me.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Sexy Elgin.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TOOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEEEEEEEEET

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
tout suite

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
brother aj is tooooo sweeeet for a poll like this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

YEAOH!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

If I know one thing, it's that Rob Conway wants me to look at him, and look I shall do.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voted for the bathturd.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's pretty close between Elgin and AJ at the moment, but the large number of potential voting options is probably spreading things thin, so I wouldn't be surprised to see whoever wins get far less votes than the winner usually does. There's still a couple of days to get your votes in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There is still (just) time to vote if you haven't yet.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Phew got the vote in just in time, too sweet me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Elgin put up a good effort, but AJ Styles was Too Sweet for a second time.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That had to be have been one of the worst showings for the WWE in a PSP poll.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'd be interested if there's ever been a lower total, but it isn't surprising. No one wants Cena as champ and Daniel's reign was just terrible, even though it wasn't his fault.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Though less people voted that usual, I imagine that the large number of options also caused the votes to be spread out thinner than usual.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

god drat 2010 was a horrible year

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oatgan posted:

god drat 2010 was a horrible year

2010 is when psp was at the peak of being inexplicably WWE Is The Only Thing That Matters.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

2010 is when psp was at the peak of being inexplicably WWE Is The Only Thing That Matters.

ROH was really good that year too, although I guess to be fair the Steen/Generico feud and the Kings dominating the tag division were more memorable than what Black and Strong were doing.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

John Cena posted:

TNA was complete garbage, ROH was booked by Adam Pearce for most of the year & nobody had access to live New Japan/Dragon Gate shows. Makes perfect sense.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I am so glad that Bully Ray will forever have a month of being the PSP Pro-Wrestling Champion.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

dsriggs posted:

nobody had access to live New Japan/Dragon Gate shows

Now it looks like we might be in the same situation again :smith:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
If I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a poo poo about a Japanese guy. I don't give a poo poo about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stallion Cabana posted:

I am so glad that Bully Ray will forever have a month of being the PSP Pro-Wrestling Champion.

He completely deserved it, too.

• Locked thread