Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thought Twitch/Google getting together was a done deal?

Originally speculated this morning by The Information, the Wall Street Journal now has confirmed that Twitch has been acquired by Amazon for "more than" $1 billion.

If someone has access to WSJ and wants to post the particulars, that would be great. I don't really use Twitch that much, but in terms of acquirers, Amazon seems to me like a better company than Google... but I guess that is an argument for this very thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Done deal.
http://www.twitch.tv/p/thankyou

quote:

SEATTLE—August 25, 2014—Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire Twitch Interactive, Inc., the leading live video platform for gamers. In July, more than 55 million unique visitors viewed more than 15 billion minutes of content on Twitch produced by more than 1 million broadcasters, including individual gamers, pro players, publishers, developers, media outlets, conventions and stadium-filling esports organizations.

"Broadcasting and watching gameplay is a global phenomenon and Twitch has built a platform that brings together tens of millions of people who watch billions of minutes of games each month – from The International, to breaking the world record for Mario, to gaming conferences like E3. And, amazingly, Twitch is only three years old," said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. "Like Twitch, we obsess over customers and like to think differently, and we look forward to learning from them and helping them move even faster to build new services for the gaming community."

"Amazon and Twitch optimize for our customers first and are both believers in the future of gaming," said Twitch CEO Emmett Shear. "Being part of Amazon will let us do even more for our community. We will be able to create tools and services faster than we could have independently. This change will mean great things for our community, and will let us bring Twitch to even more people around the world."

Twitch launched in June 2011 to focus exclusively on live video for gamers. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been approved by Twitch's shareholders, Amazon will acquire all of the outstanding shares of Twitch for approximately $970 million in cash, as adjusted for the assumption of options and other items. Subject to customary closing conditions, the acquisition is expected to close in the second half of 2014.

http://kotaku.com/reports-amazon-to-buy-twitch-for-over-1-billion-1626564744

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So, is this better or worse than google owning twitch.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

mabels big day posted:

Better, easily.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Neither, really. The damage has already been done. They've stated that they're not going to make any more changes to their copyright control system, which was obviously a ploy to attract some kind of buyer, Google or not. Twitch's whole strategy seems to be to clean themselves up and make themselves look like professional businessmen, and not just like a group of tech-savvy gamer geeks.

It's very likely that no changes are going to be made to Twitch as a result of this deal that haven't already been made.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

cat doter posted:

Better, easily.

Twitch is worst for twitch so I'd say it's a wash regardless.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mabels big day posted:

Better in the sense that it won't get altered as much as it likely would have with Google already having a livestreaming service with YouTube. Sure Amazon has streaming video, but not live streaming/broadcasting capabilities, so it's unlikely to severely gently caress with it in the near term.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Better in the sense that we know how Google would change things and people hated that. But it's actually worse since Amazon is going to do essentially all the changes that Google would and then some since they have even less experience with user provided video content. On top of that, they don't have any use for Twitch in their business so when the money pit problems become clear, Amazon is likely to gut and dump it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If Google bought Twitch I fully expected them to dissolve it and move everyone to Youtube or further integrate Google+, so Amazon buying them is a rare moment where I can say a corporate buyout was not the worst thing (in general though I consider corporate buyouts to be the worst thing)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I dunno, I am pretty anti-Amazon on general principles, but I'll have to wait and see how this turns out. I hope twitch does more stupid poo poo and their monopoly is broken, their service is already pretty terrible. Maybe one day hitbox or a better company will be able to compete... :smithcloud:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Google should just buy amazon. Google should just buy me.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Maybe the servers won't be poo poo like they have been since own3d died and they had no competition.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This means no possible Google+ integration so by default this is better.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Endorph posted:

Google should just buy amazon. Google should just buy me.

Google already owns you.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Better in the sense that we know how Google would change things and people hated that. But it's actually worse since Amazon is going to do essentially all the changes that Google would and then some since they have even less experience with user provided video content. On top of that, they don't have any use for Twitch in their business so when the money pit problems become clear, Amazon is likely to gut and dump it.

Seriously, what is their angle here? Ad revenue companies picking them up make sense but what the hell is Amazon going to do with this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Google already owns you.
they could at least send me a postcard

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Finally, an Amazon droid drops a real life Kappa to my door.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dizz posted:

Finally, an Amazon droid drops a real life Kappa to my door.

do you mean a kappa as in the mythical japanese creature, or in the "im gay - Cosmo 2012 Kappa" sense

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there somewhere I can read the history of twitch emoticons? For example, where Kappa and FrankerZ come from.

Also hitbox.tv is new to me. In what ways is it better or worse?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Is there somewhere I can read the history of twitch emoticons? For example, where Kappa and FrankerZ come from.

Also hitbox.tv is new to me. In what ways is it better or worse?

Kappa is an old twitch employee's face and FrankerZ is an employee's dog. Same with RalpherZ.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Raymn posted:

Seriously, what is their angle here? Ad revenue companies picking them up make sense but what the hell is Amazon going to do with this?

I imagine this to be on every stream page.

"Twitch gamer xXx720noSc0pEhEaDsHoTzxXx is playing Call of Duty: Advanced warfare. Click here to buy a copy and join in."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

http://www.twitchemotes.com/

You can click on the emotes for some backstory on each

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Silento posted:

do you mean a kappa as in the mythical japanese creature, or in the "im gay - Cosmo 2012 Kappa" sense

Both. :swoon:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Raymn posted:

They've invested heavily in building out an online video platform with exclusive content. Live streaming is a natural outgrowth of that.

(Likewise, Google's potential angle wasn't really about bringing the ad revenue in house or Google+ or anything like that; it was augmenting YouTube with a live streaming product that people actually used.)

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011
1 click buy wishlist links on everyone's stream page.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Incoherence posted:

They've invested heavily in building out an online video platform with exclusive content. Live streaming is a natural outgrowth of that.

Plus imagine browsing games at amazon and a little box is there that says,"Check out a live stream of this game?"

One of the biggest factors, i imagine, in purchasing from amazon is their review system. Which may now feature live footage of the product in question being played by a sick nasty gamerboi

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

If a streamer has an Amazon prime sub, they should get to stream as much music from primes selection as they want with no muting

Bad idea?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

stringball posted:

If a streamer has an Amazon prime sub, they should get to stream as much music from primes selection as they want with no muting

Bad idea?
Music licensing is complicated and I'd be very surprised if the contracts between Amazon and the labels are written in a way that allows this.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

stringball posted:

Bad idea?

Like the music from this stream? But it here!

They'll be able to use the streams as commercials for the games, music, capture equipment, consoles and computer parts.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Tsietisin posted:

I imagine this to be on every stream page.

"Twitch gamer xXx720noSc0pEhEaDsHoTzxXx is playing Call of Duty: Advanced warfare. Click here to buy a copy and join in."

"You're watching League of Legends. If you're interested, we have t-shirts, mouse pads, downloadable soundtrack files, and collectibles here."

I expect Twitch to end up integrating with Amazon in the same way as another of their affiliates, The Internet Movie Database. Small ads to the game or related games/merchandise off to the side and for the most part, being unobtrusive. Though a fellow I watch on Twitch suggested that they could try offering Twitch Turbo in conjunction with Amazon Prime. That wouldn't be bad. Overall, I see it as a good thing. Twitch was already being tight with copyrighted music, as an obvious act to make the service attractive to purchase. This is just a better choice of buyer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Incoherence posted:

Except it isn't a natural outgrowth of that. It superficially seems that way, but it's completely the opposite of what they're doing. Amazon's video services are built on licensing content and then selling it, Twitch is about taking content (harmlessly, in my any sane person's view, but the law doesn't distinguish) and pushing it out and maybe getting a few bucks back on ads. The closest thing Amazon has to Twitch is their Kindle publishing arm and the monetization there is obvious while with Twitch I don't have a clue what Amazon wants to get out of it. Selling things? It's about a thousand times cheaper to buy ads and for 90% of the streams Amazon can't sell the product anyway (they can get secondary cuts, but that's hard to justify spending the money on since Amazon already has that cut of the business).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Except it isn't a natural outgrowth of that. It superficially seems that way, but it's completely the opposite of what they're doing. Amazon's video services are built on licensing content and then selling it, Twitch is about taking content (harmlessly, in my any sane person's view, but the law doesn't distinguish) and pushing it out and maybe getting a few bucks back on ads. The closest thing Amazon has to Twitch is their Kindle publishing arm and the monetization there is obvious while with Twitch I don't have a clue what Amazon wants to get out of it. Selling things? It's about a thousand times cheaper to buy ads and for 90% of the streams Amazon can't sell the product anyway (they can get secondary cuts, but that's hard to justify spending the money on since Amazon already has that cut of the business).
This is a fairly restrictive view of what Amazon is and what it wants to be. For example, Amazon already has a cloud services business which has absolutely nothing to do with selling physical goods (aside from the fact that the cloud services were originally built for the software that powers the physical goods business).

The closest thing to this is actually Amazon's investment in exclusive TV shows, which makes them a media producer, not just a media distributor, and certainly not just the physical goods distributor they once were. Twitch is a media production platform, and you really can't see how that fits into a strategy to make Amazon into a media company?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
First off, I was worried for a bit this thread would get zero posts :v:

I think Amazon is probably a great fit because the company isn't really run like a business, but more like a non-profit. For Amazon's size and revenue, profit is rather low, and it often actually loses money. Yet investors keep buying in, and the amount of things they provide keeps increasing. There is a pretty good article on Slate that sort of goes into how the company operates. Choice quote:

quote:

I once characterized Amazon as a “charitable institution being run by elements of the investment community for the benefit of consumers.”

It is essentially how I've felt about the company for a long while: they really do provide an enormous amount of benefits and don't ever really seem to care that none of it drives profits. I don't think they will try and gently caress around with Twitch much, other than the natural and obligatory Amazon links for wish lists/games etc.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Amazon Twitch sounds like a disease

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

abagofcheetos posted:

they really do provide an enormous amount of benefits

Too bad the vast majority of their employees (oh right they're contracted out so not technically Amazon employees) see zilch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Incoherence posted:

This is a fairly restrictive view of what Amazon is and what it wants to be. For example, Amazon already has a cloud services business which has absolutely nothing to do with selling physical goods (aside from the fact that the cloud services were originally built for the software that powers the physical goods business).

Actually, I thought Amazon's cloud services were kind of weird, but they seem to use it as an outgrowth of their own server services.

Incoherence posted:

The closest thing to this is actually Amazon's investment in exclusive TV shows, which makes them a media producer, not just a media distributor, and certainly not just the physical goods distributor they once were. Twitch is a media production platform, and you really can't see how that fits into a strategy to make Amazon into a media company?

Twitch isn't a media production platform like that, though. That's like saying Amazon sells books, therefore they should buy Twitter. Why not? They're both text and pictures! It's superficially similar, but the business is radically different and runs counter to things.

Consider Amazon's various media production arms. They work just like traditional media acquisitions, only Amazon is essentially fronting more of the money. That is a natural outgrowth of a company that sells media.

Twitch is a fire hose of amateur-produced content that Amazon can't do anything with. They can't sell it since in almost every case it belongs to someone other than even the person creating the stream. They can't try to squeeze subscribers out of it because Twitch is supervulnerable to all of its content just moving somewhere else. And as big of a fish Twitch is in the world of streaming games, it's small potatoes outside of a very narrow group.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

abagofcheetos posted:

It is essentially how I've felt about the company for a long while: they really do provide an enormous amount of benefits and don't ever really seem to care that none of it drives profits.

Except for the fact amazon treats their employees like dirt. Oh, the warehouse is over 100 degrees? People are passing out? Keep filling the boxes, we will just park ambulances outside and pass out wet cloths.

Read up on amazon employee satisfaction in the warehouses. Hint: it isn't very positive. They most definitely care about bottom lines.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
also the book publisher thing going on atm

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Amazon is ran by a literal psychopath but on the consumer end of things it's not too terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Everything said is more than likely true (I'm no Amazonologist), but that doesn't mean they are a wildly profitable company. They are doing these things and still barely breaking even.

• Locked thread