Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
this one might be interesting. Capcom's developers have created a lot of interesting characters. If I ever see this book for less than $10 I may buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i see you are also a fan of the capcom titties

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Masters of Doom is real good and worth reading if you have any interest in 90s PC games or game history

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

i read the baldur's gate novelization(lol) when i was 10yo. dont remember anything about it though.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i read the doom novelization when i was in 5th grade and it talks about how the doom guy has to solve a puzzle by touching an erect demons dick on a statue, also how good swastikas are

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

books are for fags

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I heard you liked video games and books.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

books are for fags

I guess that makes you a librarian

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*Sees image of 10 year old girl half naked* This might be interesting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I guess that makes you a librarian

b-b-w-b-wb-w-b-waaaaawawa

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

this ones good for sure... Even disregarding the epic memes it created, it's still a grade A book I could read again and again...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wormskull posted:

*Sees image of 10 year old girl half naked* This might be interesting.

Wtf... That morrigan >_<

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I remember thinking the first, third, and fourth Halo books were pretty interesting for shootymans books.

Then they got way less good before they went and hired Karen Traviss :suicide:

How bad were the Mass Effect books? I only remember reading the one that came out before the first game, and how it was pretty "meh" when Saren wasn't being a loving sociopath.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

I remember thinking the first, third, and fourth Halo books were pretty interesting for shootymans books.

Then they got way less good before they went and hired Karen Traviss :suicide:

How bad were the Mass Effect books? I only remember reading the one that came out before the first game, and how it was pretty "meh" when Saren wasn't being a loving sociopath.

lmfao Karen Traviss. They got her to write the comics + novels for Gears of War and she shoehorned rape as much as possible into the canon, COG keeps rape concentration camps, locust rape berserkers all the time, etc.

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 8, 2014

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I bought the novelization of the seminal game "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest" at my local goodwill. Along with a used LP of Supertramp's "Breakfast in America"

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Famous TV Dad posted:

i read the baldur's gate novelization(lol) when i was 10yo. dont remember anything about it though.
I read the BG2 + ToB novelizations and they were legit the worst things I've ever read

Worse than my posts, even

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

I have this one and it owns.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

this one might be interesting. Capcom's developers have created a lot of interesting characters. If I ever see this book for less than $10 I may buy it.

I've thumbed through it. It's alright but the overview nature of it means it's not really satisfying if you're already vaguely familiar with most of Capcom's work. Like, think of all the characters in Mega Man and Street Fighter. You're getting like two representatives at most of each subseries here, and that might be optimistic. Probably better off overall buying the dedicated game/series art books, though they also tend to be more $$.

The Darkstalkers Tribute book is pretty cool. Of course there's a ludicrous number of Morrigan pieces, and a bunch of stuff you'll hate, but there are also a lot of awesome pieces. I think every character shows up in at least one work, including Marionette and Shadow (but not D. Maybe.)

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 8, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
the art book from the portrait of ruin collectors edition is baller

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
also the nintendo power final fantasy players guide is so good

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

i still have to finish this

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

I have this one and it owns.

that reminds of this thing that i found in a box of old belongings:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Tons of graphics, newly tightened up from volume 1

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

When I was 8 I read some paperback that was basically the plot of kid chameleon

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't really know many of them OP. I have read Masters of Doom however.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

that one book that has the Official Zelda Timeline in it.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Candy Crush Saga is engineered for addiction, but it won't let you play for long without seemingly turning you away. The game slams on the brakes and asks you to make a choice: pay money to keep trying to solve its addictive puzzles, or stop playing and come back later. You have used up a resource — 'lives' — that can only be replenished by waiting or by paying.

Around 70% of those who have reached the final stage of the game haven't spent any money. For most players, Candy Crush Saga is in part a waiting game. This limitation — known as an 'energy mechanic' — leaves many people feeling aggravated, irritated and even manipulated. It's common for people to make a comparison to drug dealers offering a first taste for free, and then charging money after chemical dependency has set in.

"The game has no shortage of critics in the traditional games world, who claim it's a cynical, manipulative cash-grabber of a product", wrote Stuart Dredge in The Guardian. "Candy Crush Saga's a sweet treat in some ways, but one with a disappointingly bitter aftertaste," concluded a review on Pocketgamer.

This is a story about moderation and excess. It is about fear and security, innocence and ecstasy, money and labour. It is about how we manage our base desires, and what happens when computers start managing them for us.

Different cultures respond well to different mechanics in free-to-play: for example, Americans hate it when players can pay money to gain an unambiguous advantage in a competitive game, but Chinese players accept it as a normal part of life. The success of games that employ energy mechanics in Europe and America could teach us something about our own societies. How does that success relate to broader cultural mores? And why is it so hated by gaming's design literati?

In a brilliant piece of satire about reviewing AAA titles, Leigh Alexander recently wrote that 'games are about feeling powerful, and you getting your way.' This moment of cutting sarcasm is there to reflect that games like Grand Theft Auto V exist within a culture of problematic masculinity, online abuse and consumerist entitlement. This is the culture that overwhelmingly defines what high-budget games are about, how they are made, and what they aspire towards.

What happens outside of the bubble of AAA gaming, if that violence and entitlement are less prominent? What if players don't assume that they can always get what they want? I will argue in this essay that a complicated tension between indulgence and restraint is at work in many casual games.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Abandon posted:

Candy Crush Saga is engineered for addiction, but it won't let you play for long without seemingly turning you away. The game slams on the brakes and asks you to make a choice: pay money to keep trying to solve its addictive puzzles, or stop playing and come back later. You have used up a resource — 'lives' — that can only be replenished by waiting or by paying.

Around 70% of those who have reached the final stage of the game haven't spent any money. For most players, Candy Crush Saga is in part a waiting game. This limitation — known as an 'energy mechanic' — leaves many people feeling aggravated, irritated and even manipulated. It's common for people to make a comparison to drug dealers offering a first taste for free, and then charging money after chemical dependency has set in.

"The game has no shortage of critics in the traditional games world, who claim it's a cynical, manipulative cash-grabber of a product", wrote Stuart Dredge in The Guardian. "Candy Crush Saga's a sweet treat in some ways, but one with a disappointingly bitter aftertaste," concluded a review on Pocketgamer.

This is a story about moderation and excess. It is about fear and security, innocence and ecstasy, money and labour. It is about how we manage our base desires, and what happens when computers start managing them for us.

Different cultures respond well to different mechanics in free-to-play: for example, Americans hate it when players can pay money to gain an unambiguous advantage in a competitive game, but Chinese players accept it as a normal part of life. The success of games that employ energy mechanics in Europe and America could teach us something about our own societies. How does that success relate to broader cultural mores? And why is it so hated by gaming's design literati?

In a brilliant piece of satire about reviewing AAA titles, Leigh Alexander recently wrote that 'games are about feeling powerful, and you getting your way.' This moment of cutting sarcasm is there to reflect that games like Grand Theft Auto V exist within a culture of problematic masculinity, online abuse and consumerist entitlement. This is the culture that overwhelmingly defines what high-budget games are about, how they are made, and what they aspire towards.

What happens outside of the bubble of AAA gaming, if that violence and entitlement are less prominent? What if players don't assume that they can always get what they want? I will argue in this essay that a complicated tension between indulgence and restraint is at work in many casual games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36Xadupn5c

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Game guides are poo poo but I didn't know that as a kid and the amazing art plus that I sucked way too much to complete this as a kid meant that I read this until it almost fell completely apart.

cute anime girl
Feb 14, 2014

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I collect special edition game guides. Here are a couple I own and love:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kylra posted:

no lie, i had three of these books as a kid

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

I still have mine. :>

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
i own all the doom novels because i bought them as they were coming out

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
also i had a prince of persia 1 and 2 guide book that read like a story and i took it to school every day

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

Game guides are poo poo but I didn't know that as a kid and the amazing art plus that I sucked way too much to complete this as a kid meant that I read this until it almost fell completely apart.

Players guides own

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Y-Hat posted:

They were the bee's knees when I was a kid. I only had 3 as well though.

I remember them being kind of difficult if you played them properly unspoilered. Like you had to explore side paths (or not explore them in one case as it would set you up for a game over later if I recall correctly).

Kylra fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 8, 2014

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

god yes I wanted Metroid 2 and Link's Awakening so bad reading this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

this book came out fairly recently and it owns. there's a whole lotta notes about the game's development and character design alongside all of the artwork, it's a really cool read if you are a fan of the game

Kylra posted:

those are some sweet kicks the princess is wearing

• Locked thread