Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

This thread is for anything about any simulator. The games we love to play so we can simulate working (or being a goat) in our spare time.

Where are the simulator threads for <game>

Eurotruck Simulator 2
Sims 3 Megathread (Sims 4 included)
Sim racing
Flight sim megathread
Sim City 4
Spintires

What sims can be discussed

Look if it has simulator in the name or the game is a sim it's fair game for this thread.

So why does this thread exist

So we have a place to talk about Farm Simulator and it's awesome physics.

What is farm simulator about?

You can plough, cultivate, sow seeds and spray fertiliser. You can buy combine harvesters, a selection of tractors and trucks. Along with various other types of heavy machinery. You can even own chickens, sheep, cows and produce renewable energy for profit.

All of this is in an open world map where you can do whatever you like. Even chop down any tree on the map in Farm Sim 15 (just released on 30 October 2014).

What makes farm simulator great?

If you want you can mow lawns or spray poo poo everywhere. Seriously the cows produce two types of poo poo: liquid and solid. How many games simulate that much poo poo from one animal?

Alright which version are we talking about and which one should I buy?

The new version is Farm Simulator 15 which has a new graphics engine, vehicles and equipment actually get dirtier as you use them. They just added woodcutting. Have a look at the woodcutting video. The second link it to the actual real vehicle used. Yes most of the vehicles are real licensed brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_8POY6gHeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2SwTK6p72U

In the new version there is a limited selection of vehicles compared with Farm Simulator 2013 Titanium Edition with all DLC. The new version will get a lot of dlc over the next two years. It's often best to buy when it's on sale on steam.

The following screenshot is from Farm Sim 15. A picture of my well used starting tractor which needs a wash.

Is there multiplayer?

Yes there is. It's better with more people although there's enough automation so you can manage a very large farming operation playing solo.

Mods?

There is a huge modding community. In fact a lot of the mods that are community created inspire new official content for the game. You can find mods via the Farming Simulator site.

I don't believe any of this!

Let the following video convince you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
I played Farm Sim 15 last night for a few hours and it was a fun time. If you thought Euro Truck Sim 2 was Zen, try plowing a field in real time.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Since we've moved this over to the proper thread;

I'd be interested in virtual farming/tree killing with goons

I played for 3 hours last night with a random pubbie, and it was ok, but didn't have enough 'tism

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Loving FS15, graphics is a big improvement and for me it's running butter smooth for me. It's a bit lacklustre in the vehicle / equipment side but with the modding community that Farming Sim has it won't be long before we have plenty of mods to choose from. I use https://www.fs-uk.com for mods and most mods are self installing.

Just collected all 100 gold coins dotted around the map and found you get storage silos at your farm fully filled as a reward, I was expecting an unlocked vehicle.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Obsidius posted:

Loving FS15, graphics is a big improvement and for me it's running butter smooth for me. It's a bit lacklustre in the vehicle / equipment side but with the modding community that Farming Sim has it won't be long before we have plenty of mods to choose from. I use https://www.fs-uk.com for mods and most mods are self installing.

Just collected all 100 gold coins dotted around the map and found you get storage silos at your farm fully filled as a reward, I was expecting an unlocked vehicle.

Apparently either mods are being converted to '15 already, or the mod makers are just that quick at new content

I saw one server running a 'log position' mod last night, probably to fix the logs doing the funky chicken

If there is enough interest I could see a goon-run dedicated server

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Sappo569 posted:

Apparently either mods are being converted to '15 already, or the mod makers are just that quick at new content

I saw one server running a 'log position' mod last night, probably to fix the logs doing the funky chicken

If there is enough interest I could see a goon-run dedicated server

Yeah, some mods are easily converted and just a matter of changing a small piece of code (or at least that was my take on it, I know nothing about code / modding) while other mods require a lot of work to convert over.

And yeah I'd be down for farming with Goons although due to work weekends are my only real free time for that.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Obsidius posted:

I'll go through and do some updates to the op, I need to get some farming done. I've been kind of busy with real life so I still haven't found a coin yet. The reward seems pretty cool though.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'll be home around midnight (5 1/2 hours from now)

Not sure I'd make the best host, my upload is pretty abysmal, maybe OP can have a mumble channel created on the LLJK server?

Easier to coodinate

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Oh man, I wish there was a demo available, I'd really like to see how close the controls are on the harvester/forwarder compared to the real thing. It also might be a passable option for training crane operations, as I really don't feel like driving to school to use their simulators.

Also laughing at how the chainsaw works, nobody does it like that IRL :v:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have been doing a bit of logging with the red trailer with the crane and a chainsaw, and I have to say that the crane controls take some getting used to, but it is pretty fun. That being said, I am in violation of so many common sense rules and guidelines for proper chainsaw use it isn't even funny.

My process tends to be chop down the tree, chase after it as it rolls away, delimb it, try and cut it in half, pick it up with the crane, measure it against the trailer length, cut it while it is still being held in the air by the crane, then load it haphazardly. I can't wait to get the feller buncher.

I also learned that you can make the train at the lumber mill drive away and return, and that it will actually hit your tractor. Managed to put my logger into the mill pond and had to reload. When I did reload, I switched to the same tractor only to find it flying through the air above a field.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Made a temp CTS channel under Misc - Farming Autist 15

Farming Simulator 15 : Official Goon Server

Goon Acres -- 216.155.138.178:11123

password: lljk

Currently 4 slots, we will see how popular this turns out to be

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 2, 2014

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Got my hands on this game, and my first impression is... disappointing. I was expecting more than just models with extra polygons and a slight change in textures. :( This is basically just FS2013 with a prettier UI.
Then again, I should have realized that this game follows the sports games formula: use the same engine, add new stuff, do some gameplay tweaks, sell at full price and watch the money roll in.

[edit] It's still a fun game though, and logging is now my go-to choice when all my tractors are in use and I have nothing else to do for awhile. And it seems to pay off pretty well!

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 2, 2014

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Made a temp CTS channel under Misc - Farming Autist 15

Farming Simulator 15 : Official Goon Server

Goon Acres -- 216.155.138.178:11123

password: lljk

Currently 4 slots, we will see how popular this turns out to be

Played on this tonight. How does money work? Only admins have control of it?

Sold some stuff but didn't get any cash.

Also anyone else having the issue with hired hands on large fields and they're basically complete retards and don't seed properly?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I bring you Spintires in nutshell:

http://gifyoutube.com/gif/yE34QO

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

thegoat posted:

Played on this tonight. How does money work? Only admins have control of it?

Sold some stuff but didn't get any cash.

Also anyone else having the issue with hired hands on large fields and they're basically complete retards and don't seed properly?

Money we were trying to figure out

Basically it can be handled two ways:

One account - Which it is set on now, so all the money goes into the 'administrator' account

Separate accounts - Each player when logged in earns a cut of the profits, when they log out their funds get dumped into the admin account

We tried both, and now that I see your point I will have to turn separate accounts back on, otherwise when I'm not around no one will have any money!

Still learning the ins and outs of this thing :P

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

Sormus posted:

I bring you Spintires in nutshell:

http://gifyoutube.com/gif/yE34QO

Ha, lovely! I shamelessly crossposted this to the Spintires thread, seems to have a good reception there :v:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So instructions for using the Farming Sim server

Passwords are in the mumble channel (Farming Autist 15)

Login as per normal, if you're the only one playing then you need to login as admin... which is the account that handles all the money

Press U and enter the admin password, then Press U again and turn everything on (for some reason it defaults everything to off when the admin leaves)

Ensure there is always an admin logged in while playing and money will work fine

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Awesome. I enjoy the game and playing multi-player.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I cut a tree down because it was in the way and I kept hitting my header on it. Then we tried to grind it, that didn't work, but we all tried to help, at once.

So I just did this.

Right now, at least in multiplayer, what sucks about logging is that it's mostly client side. So I chop down a tree, and limb it...Sappo still sees all the foliage. If he makes a cut, all my foliage comes back.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 4, 2014

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When you're too lazy to make multiple trips, make a land train. Pain in the rear end to hook together though. Don't try to go uphill.

Malrubius demanded I take his picture during his ascent.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

When you're too lazy to make multiple trips, make a land train. Pain in the rear end to hook together though. Don't try to go uphill.

Guarantee that will look much more impressive later tonight, might need the tracked tractor to pull it

And we should have had Mal wash them before the photo op :coal:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

thegoat posted:

Awesome. I enjoy the game and playing multi-player.

You should probably hop in mumble then

I'm trying to connect now but I think YOU BROKE EVERYTHING

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I was in mumble the other day when I played but nobody else was. Was hopping on this morning to check out what you guys had done. Never did connect! Synchronized data for awhile and lost connection.

What did it break?! How?!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

thegoat posted:

I was in mumble the other day when I played but nobody else was. Was hopping on this morning to check out what you guys had done. Never did connect! Synchronized data for awhile and lost connection.

What did it break?! How?!

It was probably just the server being a jerk

I reset it and now all is well

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Excellent. I would hate to think I ruined any of the progress being made!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am become death, destroyer of trees.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Last night we bought a beet harvester, and it disappeared...I just logged in and well we have two now.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Last night we bought a beet harvester, and it disappeared...I just logged in and well we have two now.

:eng99:

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Oh boy, more bugs and/or features! The character has superhuman powers, as he can stop in midair when you time your jump and aim correctly with the chainsaw. Makes cutting down branches from higher up easier :v:
And maybe because of that, I had a log that acted like it still had the rest of the tree still left. Found that out when I was crossing a bridge and the invisible part of the log got stuck on the bridge. After trying to cut it, I now have an invisible log blocking the road :haw:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

OP can you add the simulation game Nintendo Christmas by M n' F?

TIA

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

JointHorse posted:

Oh boy, more bugs and/or features! The character has superhuman powers, as he can stop in midair when you time your jump and aim correctly with the chainsaw. Makes cutting down branches from higher up easier :v:
And maybe because of that, I had a log that acted like it still had the rest of the tree still left. Found that out when I was crossing a bridge and the invisible part of the log got stuck on the bridge. After trying to cut it, I now have an invisible log blocking the road :haw:

The trees will give you endless amounts of bugs and weird-rear end physics errors.

My current favorite is using the Scorpion-Tree-Murderomatic to grab a tree, wherein it spins around in the cutter head so the 'end' is pointing at the cab of my Scorpion.

Each cut somehow defies gravity and a bunch of other laws, pushing the tractor further off balance as the cut logs try to rocket out the other side

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bow before us lesser farmers!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sappo569 posted:

Bow before us lesser farmers!

How's the semi working out?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The semi is always my preferred method of hauling around grain etc. Super fast

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

How's the semi working out?

Good I only did one trip with it, thing does 55km/h with a fully loaded trailer :rice:

Sadly I don't have the time to devote 15 hours a day this weekend :dance:

PS. Notice the weights I left sitting next to the pressure washer .... Mal!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'll try to get some time in tomorrow, what's the focus now?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I'll try to get some time in tomorrow, what's the focus now?

I guess buy one of everything super expensive

A literal fleet of beet harvesters stretching across the horizon

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Thinking of picking this up and playing with Goons, but have spent literally 10minutes playing at a mates and have zero clue what I'm doing. Should I gently caress around myself before I bother your guys server or is it cool to just jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Spiteski posted:

Thinking of picking this up and playing with Goons, but have spent literally 10minutes playing at a mates and have zero clue what I'm doing. Should I gently caress around myself before I bother your guys server or is it cool to just jump in.

Jump in I say, It's not like you can really do any irreparable damage to anything.

The only issue is the lack of 'starter' equipment, you'll be entering a server where we are reaching the best of the best equipment, you might want to at least do the tutorial missions first to see how things are supposed to work without the million dollar gadgets

After you learn the basics (cultivating,seeding,fertilizing,harvesting,$$$) it's all just economy of scale. Bigger and faster equipment to do the same steps but better

• Locked thread