Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its 2014, where the gently caress is my icloud alac? who listens to compressed audio anymore?

sincerely kotex

ps if youre still listening to 256kbps this is the thread for u to come out of the closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
i only listen to spotify and audible

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

its 2014, where the gently caress is my icloud alac? who listens to compressed audio anymore?

sincerely kotex

ps if youre still listening to 256kbps this is the thread for u to come out of the closet

let me put this into perspective for you:

blu-ray, the highest quality consumer level format puts their video at around 25-50 megabits per second.

Audio gets barely 1.5mbps and there are 6+ channels of audio being compressed.

people see better than they hear

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

i only listen to spotify and audible
the 2014 equivalent of only listening to top40 radio stations through a crappy boombox

pagancow posted:

blu-ray, the highest quality consumer level format puts their video at around 25-50 megabits per second.

blu-ray is an outdated and bad format so

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

they will never sell 48+k to the masses.

they will never sell lossless audio anymore.

it's just going to keep getting worse and worse.

enjoy your lossy audio formats

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

also twenty dollar earbuds that are more easily heard by the person sitting next to you

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the 2014 equivalent of only listening to top40 radio stations through a crappy boombox

i even listen to it through my earpods and it sounds good to me so idgaf

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

you know how vinyl affectionately enjoy the crackles and pops of a worn record? I liisten to 24kbps audio for the same reasons

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

they call me tinny tim

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Egan Yardley posted:

you know how vinyl affectionately enjoy the crackles and pops of a worn record? I liisten to 24kbps audio for the same reasons

i listen to low bit rate techno so i can hear more sibilance on the hi hats

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
anything more than 16 bit 44.1 khz is literally a waste, there is no extra information being stored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
stream ur music thru roger wilco

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Egan Yardley posted:

listen on youtube at 144p

e: the windows movie maker template adds warmth!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

anything more than 16 bit 44.1 khz is literally a waste, there is no extra information being stored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

not true man. it depends on what was recorded and how it was recorded. try listening to a well recorded french horn at 96kHz 24 bit vs 44.1kHz 16 bit on good speakers/headphones

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol iTunes getting sued

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i didn't watch the whole thing, but that video doesn't seem to be about not having an audible difference between 44.1 vs 96, but about stair stepping and how that's not a representation of the final analogue waveform

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i didn't watch the whole thing, but that video doesn't seem to be about not having an audible difference between 44.1 vs 96, but about stair stepping and how that's not a representation of the final analogue waveform

keep watching because he talks about how it's possible to recreate an identical signal with 16/44.1 and why additional bits don't help

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

not true man. it depends on what was recorded and how it was recorded. try listening to a well recorded french horn at 96kHz 24 bit vs 44.1kHz 16 bit on good speakers/headphones

also i'd like to see a large group ABX test this

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

there is no audible difference.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Nyquist-Theorem

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I find these $1,200 speaker cables "dancable"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

isn't there some audiophile forum that bans people for mentioning AB and ABX testing?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

since installing these solid mahogany volume controllers my livingroom now has three wooden knobs

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

isn't there some audiophile forum that bans people for mentioning AB and ABX testing?

quote:

In summery ABX double-blind testing does not prove that everything sounds the same as real sonic differences are easily heard in casual listening. No, instead what ABX double-blind testing proves is that human subjects do not have the ability to compare three sonic events sequentially with any statistically significance, revealing a deficiency in short-term sonic memories of our species.

and furthermore

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

and furthermore

lmbo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

and furthermore

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

a well recorded french horn at 96kHz 24 bit vs 44.1kHz 16 bit on good speakers/headphones

also i don't mean to pile on you in particular but this statement is the easiest thing in the world to weasel out of

"well then it must not have been well recorded"

"well then you must not have good speakers/headphones"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

well here's a question: do you think it is ever important to record at 96kHz vs 44.1? because..

keep watching because he talks about how it's possible to recreate an identical signal with 16/44.1 and why additional bits don't help

depending on what you're recording, and how you are capturing the sound, and the amount of sounds that are playing out of one channel, i think you could have aliasing problems bouncing from 44.1 16 bit to 44.1 16 bit vs bouncing from 96 24 bit to 44.1 16 bit

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

also i don't mean to pile on you in particular but this statement is the easiest thing in the world to weasel out of

"well then it must not have been well recorded"

"well then you must not have good speakers/headphones"

also bad A/D and D/A converters

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

if i understood that video correctly, 16/44.1 is informationally identical to an input analog signal within the full range of human hearing

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i think you could have aliasing problems bouncing from 44.1 16 bit to 44.1 16 bit vs bouncing from 96 24 bit to 44.1 16 bit

i don't know enough about how audio editing works to answer this but hopefully someone does because that's an interesting question

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOwqyWdsWrE

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

i don't know enough about how audio editing works to answer this but hopefully someone does because that's an interesting question

same, but i should since i went to school for audio recording 11 years ago. i really don't think it's fair for me to debate too much about this unless i can quote the exact science, but i swear that can make a difference. has to do with fundamental frequencies or something. one sine wave at any frequency up to 20kHz for 44.1 vs 96... yeah probably no difference. but multiple sounds i believe there is IF it's captured at a higher sampling rate than 44.1

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
oh my god

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
since it's at least usable as a power strip i'd say it's less terrible than the "here's a literal bag of rocks you just kinda sit on your equipment ahtt makes it sound better we swear $500 please" thing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

and the best part ladies, i don't see a ring

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

i thought blu-rays had lossless audio on par with the studio masters or whatever that means.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if i understood that video correctly, 16/44.1 is informationally identical to an input analog signal within the full range of human hearing

16/48 is full range of young adult human hearing. It starts to decay in the high frequencies around age 34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

i thought blu-rays had lossless audio on par with the studio masters or whatever that means.

Blu-ray can do 24/192k PCM audio but only 6 channels of it.

• Locked thread