Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smerdyakov

Dear BYOB,

I know that this is The Chill Zone™ but I'm becoming anxious and stressed about the amount of time I spend on the forums, which I strongly feel is the opposite of BYOB. It's crunch time and I need to spend time studying and really working in order to achieve my quite modest dreams. Can some kind admin please probate me for a random amount of time between three and six weeks?

Yours in friendship and posting,

:toot: Smerdyakov :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
why dont you just not post. if you dont have the self control to do that why would you have the self control to not spend $10 on a new account,

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Senior Management

you will maybe still be able to browse some parts of the forum and will probably just write your posts on sticky notes for later posting. Best of luck studying friend.

:jerry:

Ace of Baes
instead of probating him, a mod/ik should put in for a ban because it's unhealthy to not have the ability to just not use a website

----------------

Smerdyakov

7777777 posted:

why dont you just not post. if you dont have the self control to do that why would you have the self control to not spend $10 on a new account,

b/c my mom doesn't let me use her credit card anymore after I bought too many warhammer 40k figures off ebay.

Senior Management

Smerdyakov posted:

b/c my mom doesn't let me use her credit card anymore after I bought too many warhammer 40k figures off ebay.

Please describe your armies for me.

Senior Management

Smerdyakov posted:

well all know that we can just by a prepaid card or trade cash and a handjob to a friend for a credit card purchase.

Smerdyakov

Vynar posted:

Please describe your armies for me.

Orks were my main, and I had about 2500 points including 120 slugga boys, 60 gretchin (2nd edition plastics) 3 zzap guns and a dreadnaught made out of pewter I could never get glued together, plus a looted Leman Russ and a Warboss in power armor with a few nobs NOT in power armor. I had some wartracks that I painted really well, but they're honestly awful vehicles and not worth it.

Then I picked up 1500 points of space marines that were badly painted but mostly on bikes (not dark angels, don't ask!) Then I saw a 750ish point genestealer cult army for like 60 pounds plus 20 pounds shipping (pounds are apparently worth more than dollars fyi), but all the vehicles were non-GW plastic toys and they wouldn't let me use them in local tournaments. Still had a p. cool magus, though, along with a hybrid squad.

I can't say I had a bad childhood, but I wish I'd spent more time developing real skills and practical knowledge, like C++ and how to buy clothes in my size.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 19, 2015

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Vynar posted:

well all know that we can just by a prepaid card or trade cash and a handjob to a friend for a credit card purchase.

Hell you could probably send me any kind of canned meat and id hook u up

deep dish peat moss

I'll gladly trade potted meat product for avatar certs.

deep dish peat moss

Smerdyakov posted:

I can't say I had a bad childhood, but I wish I'd spent more time developing real skills and practical knowledge, like C++ and how to buy clothes in my size.

Hey stop caring about it because caring about this will never change anything. Everyone regrets their childhood don't be a fuckin bitch.

deep dish peat moss

CBT is very easy, easy and free and takes literally less time than feeling sorry about yourself. Mix it with some exercise and it will cure just about any depression

Commie NedFlanders

go sit down in front of a mirror and stare into your eyes for an hour

after an hour is completed, close this thread and don't post again for 10 days. don't visit the site.

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

deep dish peat moss

There's been some real cool research on depression lately too
http://discovermagazine.com/2014/julyaug/9-depressions-dance-with-inflammation
basically researchers are starting to find that it's a symptom of an actual physiological condition (allergic inflammation, more or less) rather than a psychological condition of its own. the depression appears to be a natural defense mechanism, like how you get really sluggish and your mood gets crappy when you're sick - your body wants to keep you down so you don't make it worse.

Cosmic Charlie

Funnypost Collabo posted:

CBT is very easy, easy and free and takes literally less time than feeling sorry about yourself. Mix it with some exercise and it will cure just about any depression

Hell canned tuna mustard and olives is a wholesome meal ask me how I know

Cosmic Charlie

What are we talking about?

deep dish peat moss

CBT is just a fancy way of saying smack yourself for thinking negative thoughts about yourself and then stop thinking them. It works really well.

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo

basically researchers are starting to find that it's a symptom of an actual physiological condition (allergic inflammation, more or less) rather than a psychological condition of its own. the depression appears to be a natural defense mechanism, like how you get really sluggish and your mood gets crappy when you're sick - your body wants to keep you down so you don't make it worse.

eat nopales for breakfast, supposed to be good for inflammation

<----- trust me, i look like a medical professional

ty bacalou!

deep dish peat moss

It was weird reading that and starting to understand all the weird effects Zyrtec has on my depression. If I stop taking it I get really whacked out for a few days, can't sleep more than an hour or two at a time because of unreal nightmares, etc. Partially because it's a corticosteroid as well, so a neurotransmitter. It does really hosed up things to me.

Smerdyakov

I'm already doing some of that stuff and I'm a big "mind over matter" person, but removing temptations is also a big help. I stopped playing video games about two weeks ago by uninstalling all of them and I haven't relapsed since, though I still spend too much time online. About half my video game time got converted into work time, but the other half of my video game time got poured into unspeakable, unnatural acts, like refreshing threads every 2 minutes and posting dozens of times a day.

Edit: Actually, I would probably prefer to be banned even if it means losing my snazzy new avatar. Whoever would like to exchange av vouchers for canned meat products, please post your forwarding fax information and my licensed agents will be in touch with you.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 19, 2015

deep dish peat moss

I don't like how much of depression treatment is about bettering yourself. I think it should be about realizing that whatever's wrong with you isn't nearly as big as you think it is instead.

Like yeah, you might not be achieving your goals, you might be upset at the way you've spent time in the past, whatever. That's true of all of us. You should try to change the way you feel about it instead of change it itself.

You don't have to focus on changing anything. Just cut yourself off every time you feel a negative thought creeping in and then go about your day. Success and being a cooler and better person will come from becoming more grounded in reality and getting a better perspective on life and your problems, not from making a significant effort to be a different person.

Smerdyakov

I don't like how much of depression treatment is about bettering yourself. I think it should be about realizing that whatever's wrong with you isn't nearly as big as you think it is instead.

Like yeah, you might not be achieving your goals, you might be upset at the way you've spent time in the past, whatever. That's true of all of us. You should try to change the way you feel about it instead of change it itself.

You don't have to focus on changing anything. Just cut yourself off every time you feel a negative thought creeping in and then go about your day. Success and being a cooler and better person will come from becoming more grounded in reality and getting a better perspective on life and your problems, not from making a significant effort to be a different person.

That's fair, but part of my problem is that I feel really good about myself when I spend all day playing Crusader Kings 2, even though that's not a viable option in the long term. I don't really have deep regrets about the past, I just want to contrast it with times in my life I've been more healthy and successful so I can identify virtuous/vicious cycles. I'm fortunate that I have access to a wide variety of mental health resources and that I have enough money saved to only have to work part time for the next 3-6 months.

deep dish peat moss

What's wrong with spending a day playing Crusader Kings 2, though?

deep dish peat moss

I never let myself feel bad about "wasting" a day. I've come close enough to dying to know that every day I'm alive is cool as gently caress no matter what I spend it doing.

Smerdyakov

What's wrong with spending a day playing Crusader Kings 2, though?

Nothing, it's a great game! The problem is that is not so much "a day" as "every day." Literally not being able to sleep because I'm thinking about how badass my Reformed Norse Kingdom of Jerusalem makes it hard to set limits or routines, because it was so goddamn cool. None of my other hobbies or obligations could compare to the delicious possibility of getting the mongols to convert to the norse faith. I was on the verge of making fan art for my own save files, which is the final level of madness. Compound this with late-game slowdown and it was taking me 12+ solid hours to get through less than fifty years. And yes, I already have 16 gigs of RAM!

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 19, 2015

deep dish peat moss

I just don't see anything wrong with that, I guess. Do what you love and the rest will come naturally. Don't get hung up on thinking that your life will be any better if you're a "better person" (e.g. spend less time playing video games, whatever). If you're happy where you're at, you'll be happy elsewhere. If you're unhappy where you're at, you'll be unhappy elsewhere.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't go out and improve yourself, because that's cool too, but just keep in mind that it's not the answer to whatever you have going on psychologically.

Stormyish

try posting about how you assaulted/molested/came on somebody
that usually gets you out of here

Commie NedFlanders

i don't like the push to materialize depression by saying it's a symptom of a physiological condition. there's certainly a physiological component to it but our immediate. psychology is defined as a scientific field of study, so the scientific method is used, which necessitates a materialistic theory of mind. I don't like this aspect of contemporary american psychology. it seems that in the fervor to be considered a science, psychology has thrown out what really matters in the end.

also that article is terribly written

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

deep dish peat moss

Honestly making fan art of your save games is pretty nerdy, but it's also a whole lot more dedication to something you enjoy than most people exhibit, and that's a cool and attractive quality to have.

deep dish peat moss

this post was too rude

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 19, 2015

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
If you get probed here, you're gonna go watch youtube or something, or read websites you also frequent, or post on meetsauce, poo poo like that. It will change nothing

----------------

Cosmic Charlie

I havent read any of this but

ZeroCount

Stormyish posted:

try posting about how you assaulted/molested/came on somebody
that usually gets you out of here

try to go for something a little grander, i dont think we have a war criminal yet

deep dish peat moss

I can't even have a civil discussion about the way I feel about psychology so I shouldn't be talking about it.

Stormyish

ZeroCount posted:

try to go for something a little grander, i dont think we have a war criminal yet

to be fair, we probably do have one

Ace of Baes
depression can be physiological and/or psychology, neither are mutually exclusive and psychological phenomena and physiological almost always effect each other, it's like entry level medical stuff...

----------------

Commie NedFlanders

I didn't actually read that article, sorry, I just searched for the study and that was the first thing that came up.

After spending several years in American Psychology I feel that the fervor to narrow it down to a science is literally the only thing that the field of Psychology has going for it. The rest of it is completely useless new-age schleck drivel which is never applicable. It's like Philosophy except instead of debating usefully-vague topics that can be applied to other methods of thought, everyone is just sitting around churning the same thoughts over and over. It disgusts me.

it's very useful don't get me wrong, there's tons of great research out there, but there's little in the way of larger theories to tie them together, it's just a bunch of functional theories. psychology as a science is where other sciences were a couple hundred years ago. we have tons of new technology and we're basically reaching out into the dark on this one so we really need to be encouraging new and revolutionary ideas. the scientific approach, while very useful, starts with gaping holes in our theory that fall apart when matched with our most basic and immediate experience with reality.

this is why psychoanalysis has fallen out of fashion in the US, which i think is a very bad thing. psych students across the country are basically taught that Freud was "p cool i guess he formed some funny stories out of the shadows in his unscientific cave" and psychoanalytic theory is pushed aside with an eye roll while they extract some saliva from an undergrad that they made anxious a few minutes earlier with a weird cartoon or whatever

psychoanalytic theory is immensely valuable but this attitude which pervades the field stifles good theory and good research.

also the APA Collabo'd with the CIA in having trained psychologists develop and implement torture programs and tried to shush it up so gently caress em

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Commie NedFlanders

i'm sorry funny post i'm not trying to attack you i just feel strongly about what's happening in psychology

i know a psychology professor who scoffs at psychoanalytic theory and is proudly ignorant about it

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

joke_explainer

Vynar posted:

you will maybe still be able to browse some parts of the forum and will probably just write your posts on sticky notes for later posting. Best of luck studying friend.

Marooned on a deserted island with a crate of sticky notes, my postcount still increases every day, the wind rustling through the thousands of post-its like so much white noise the posts end up being any way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smerdyakov

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i don't like the push to materialize depression by saying it's a symptom of a physiological condition. there's certainly a physiological component to it but our immediate. psychology is defined as a scientific field of study, so the scientific method is used, which necessitates a materialistic theory of mind. I don't like this aspect of contemporary american psychology. it seems that in the fervor to be considered a science, psychology has thrown out what really matters in the end.

I agree, Jack Lacan. The relationship between consciousness, internal biochemistry, and environment is still not well understood because it's inherently difficult to study and the current paradigm of the relevant scientific communities is focused on direct mass intervention in an apolitical way rather than looking at individual and social pathologies.

I think of psychoanalysis and "talking cure" therapy in general as sort of parallel to headaches and biofeedback techniques. You can teach yourself biofeedback techniques that can partially or fully aleviate the effects of mild to moderate headaches, or you can take a pill. But for really severe migraines, you probably need to take some kind of specific medication and/or go to a doctor, because there's an overriding biological cause that's beyond your control. For a lot of stuff like bipolar, borderline personality, light OCD, some types of depression, anxiety, etc. you can probably partially fix it yourself with cognitive therapy, psychoanalysis, or not being such a whiny little bitch, and pills can be helpful supplements but not 100% necessary. But for heavy poo poo like schizophrenia, alzheimer's, brain tumors etc. exterior intervention can really help and internal strategies can only be supplementary.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread