Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
can u?
i can spead my computer apart WIDE
i can open my computer up a little
Fart Tech(TM)
i can't open my computer at all to replace stuff
View Results

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
my computer allows you to upgrade it's memory, but now it has the max amount, so i'll never have to open it again

how about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
why didn't you just buy it with the max amount of RAM already installed?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yeah I ripped out the caps on the processor voltage regulator because everyone knows caps cause latency and I need max fps

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

gnrk posted:

why didn't you just buy it with the max amount of RAM already installed?

it was a returned item with the price marked down at Best Buy

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah I ripped out the caps on the processor voltage regulator because everyone knows caps cause latency and I need max fps

hey Bangers, long time no see :)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i put my part into the op's mom

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
argh... mods please edit poll: first one is supposed to say "spread" not "spead"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Cold on a Cob posted:

i put my part into the op's mom

my mom is a computer and she built me, but she said it was a mistake??? :confused:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
i gave away all my old computers becaue they use too much power and only have an expensive laptop and phone now, OP

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my ~*~*gaming desktop*~*~ is in the closet

something something gay joke? i dunno

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

hey Bangers, long time no see :)

hello! my computer wasn't working but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the caps it might have even been too fast!!!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i built a computer myself and also my home backup system is an hp microserver with easily accessible parts

both of them were fun experiences

computers are neat :)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i put a desktop together because i like doing it and everything in it has a 5yr or lifetime warranty

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
my powerful gaming rig opens itserlf willingly to my slimy paws

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hello! my computer wasn't working but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the caps it might have even been too fast!!!

glad ur back with a working computer! geesh!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i put a desktop together because i like doing it and everything in it has a 5yr or lifetime warranty

my mom was amazed that i "built" computers, but i think she literally thought i was building one from scratch

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i built a computer myself and also my home backup system is an hp microserver with easily accessible parts

both of them were fun experiences

computers are neat :)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

some people really like the "hobby" of taking a computer apart, seeing how it works, and putting new stuff in, which i can respect

computers work essentially the same as they did 50 years ago, they just have a lot more redundant parts that are way smaller. when you break it down, the way computers work are extremely simple

Smythe posted:

my powerful gaming rig opens itserlf willingly to my slimy paws

what games to you play? i only know some nintendo games now a days

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

u cant own a computar op

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
i just added more ram and a new hard drive to my computer last weekend actually, op :feelsgood:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i think modular/upgradeable computers are good in some circumstances and appliance-like computers are good in other circumstances :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

my mom was amazed that i "built" computers, but i think she literally thought i was building one from scratch

well most people probably think it's as involved as building something like a car

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes, i still use a baby AT motherboard where all the ports are cabled.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Don Lapre posted:

fic va-503+ was my first real mobo

bad motherfucker

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jonny 290 posted:

fic va-503+ was my first real mobo

bad motherfucker

Pretty sure I had I had the same one. Then got a fa2007 with 2 loving MB l2 cache.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i built a gaming desktop and then hardly ever played any games on it

now i own a mac

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
bitch my computer is still beige on the outside

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i hope beige cases make a comeback

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

same but dark brown and/or fake wood and/or real wood

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
yee

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

my computer has an CNR slot op

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i think modular/upgradeable computers are good in some circumstances and appliance-like computers are good in other circumstances :)

but how about phones? what if you want more storage? you should be able to take out a storage module to put in one that has larger storage OOOPS android does this :D

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Silver Alicorn posted:

well most people probably think it's as involved as building something like a car

to this day, i know ZERO about cars

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Phoenixan posted:

i built a gaming desktop and then hardly ever played any games on it

now i own a mac

that's cool!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Egan Yardley posted:

my computer has an CNR slot op

wtf is that?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
some Good Rigs itt...

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i post from a beaglebone black so while all the parts are right there where i can see them there's really nothing to replace
i mean i guess i can stick a microSD card in there or plug motor controllers into the gpios or whatever elsebut other than that there's zip

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Glorgnole posted:

i post from a beaglebone black so while all the parts are right there where i can see them there's really nothing to replace
i mean i guess i can stick a microSD card in there or plug motor controllers into the gpios or whatever elsebut other than that there's zip

you should mod it so you can connect any drive ever invented onto it

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

what was the absolute last, most powerful AT form factor motherboard ever produced because I can't find anything after early Slot 1/S370

they make i7 boards that still have isa slots for zany industrial reasons, so why can't i slam an iwhatever into my ibm at 5170 without destroying my hand with the metal nibble tool

asking for a friend

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Phoenixan posted:

i hope the luggable format makes a return. Like I want a portable desktop and idgaf about a battery or whatever, I aint computin in the forest. Get me a fast-rear end computer with two monitors and a sweet video card and a keyboard and trackpad in one tidy package and put a handle on that poo poo and I will fuckin buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i built my brother a "sleeper" pc, ie a beige case from a ten year old pc but with good parts inside then i slapped a bunch of stickers on it from all the computer parts

• Locked thread