Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

The Hero doesn't take long to find more trouble to get into. After he killed of Ad Avis he heads to Tarna with Rakeesh.

http://manuals.legendsofglory.com/FECC3.pdf - Check this for any extra info you may want on this game.

As always you can choose from three classes: Fighter / Wizard / Thief.

In this game playing as the thief will not get you much. The Wizard and Paladin seem to be the way to go.

How do you get the Paladin? Well...from QFG II.

However since there were problems with the import system you can make any imported character into one....so there you go.

Once the game begins there are a few things you need to do before you are sent to the Simbani Village. The hero has to stop a war from starting between two tribes because the Liontaurs are gonna join in as well...causing a nasty war that will kill many. Raja Sah Tarna wants to go to war and the death of those in a peace keeping group further enrages him. It is our job to find the missing items and stop the war.

Since we are playing as a Paladin we cannot get the new spells (Lighting Ball, Juggling Lights, Summon Staff), but we can get Paladin Powers:

Flaming Sword - This turns your sword into the Magic Sword, the most powerful weapon in the known universe. VERY useful.
Healing - This uses your SP to heal wounds. It's not the most useful ability I've seen.
Sense Danger - This tells the Paladin if anything dangerous is nearby. It can be used as a last word of warning before going into something risky.
Honor Shield -This ability reduces the amount of damage you take. Unfortunately, it takes a SHITLOAD of Honor to gain, so it's not very useful. (Not a big deal if you use the meat bug)

First few days:

After arriving and talking to Rakeesh's wife it is time to get some work done. First head to the inn and make sure to check the board and meet the welcome women. You need to do this to ensure an event happens later...you might also see a silly clown eating as well.

Head down to the bazaar and over to the money exchanger. Chase the thief and witness his trial.

Now go back to the Money changer and get some money.

Now you need to buy (points) Always bargain for these items

Leather Merchant:
A waterskin (buy like 4)
5 zebra skins

Weaponsmith

Fine Dagger
Fine Spear

Junk Dealer / Honey seller
Tinderbox
Honey

Beadlady/Fisherman
Beads
Fish

Katta
Give letter to Katta
Tell about Shapier
Get leopard carving

Meatseller
bargain to 1 common and buy 99 (for use later)

Clothing seller
1 fine robe

Salim
Poison / Health / Magic pills (if needed)
tell about Julanar
try and buy dispel potion to learn what is needed to make it.

Next time:

We explore the Savannah.

Videos:
Part 1 - The City of Tarna
Part 2 - The savannah and beyond
Part 3 - Return to Tarna and be Judged
Part 4 - The Leopard Women
Part 5 - When Demons Attack

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Map Of the Savannah and Jungle

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Quest For Glory III is the least-good of the Quest For Glory series, but I still love it.

There are a few different ways to stop Harami in Tarna's marketplace, and depending on your solution, you might wind up in trouble with the Council yourself!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Snorb posted:

Quest For Glory III is the least-good of the Quest For Glory series, but I still love it.

There are a few different ways to stop Harami in Tarna's marketplace, and depending on your solution, you might wind up in trouble with the Council yourself!

QFG III has always been my favorite of the series despite its issues. The setting was just ridiculously cool to 13-14 year old me.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
This game seemed a bit harder than most to get the events done, it seemed hard to have enough time. Mind you, the fifth game is the worst in that matter, but it feels a step back from the previous game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I have what I'm fully willing to admit is an unreasonable love for QfG3, mostly because I spent hours and hours playing it back before I got the full Anthology. I'll admit that 4 is the best, hands down, but 3 will always be second in my heart.

grandalt posted:

This game seemed a bit harder than most to get the events done, it seemed hard to have enough time. Mind you, the fifth game is the worst in that matter, but it feels a step back from the previous game.

There's a great big gap in which you can do whatever you want after Rakeesh first takes you to the Simbani village. 3 and 1 are the least time-dependent games in the series.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Snorb posted:

Right, if you calm him (wizard) or throw dagger (thief) you can get in trouble...you can also knock over fruit from the stand.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

QFG III has always been my favorite of the series despite its issues. The setting was just ridiculously cool to 13-14 year old me.

There is nothing wrong with that. There are no "bad" Quest for Glory games.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Saxcat20 posted:

There is nothing wrong with that. There are no "bad" Quest for Glory games.

Which is why I called QFG3 the "least good" game! =p (In case anyone's wondering, I rank them II > IV > V > I > III, only because Quest For Glory II doesn't have an irritating habit of crashing when trying to do plot-critical things like "walk across the fifth screen in the game" like Quest For Glory IV does.)

My only real significant issues with III are playing a thief sucks compared to I, II, and IV (to the point where they even point it out in the manual) and you really have to work on not becoming a Paladin. (I blew it by constantly flirting with Jaana at the inn.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I have what I'm fully willing to admit is an unreasonable love for QfG3, mostly because I spent hours and hours playing it back before I got the full Anthology. I'll admit that 4 is the best, hands down, but 3 will always be second in my heart.

There's a great big gap in which you can do whatever you want after Rakeesh first takes you to the Simbani village. 3 and 1 are the least time-dependent games in the series.

I've only just reached 3, and haven't gotten past the first city limits yet (first day). Out of the first two, I'm having a hard time deciding which is best (played the VGA versions). 1 feels like the most complete game, whereas 2 was more of a challenge.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Video 2 is here!

In this episode the Hero:

Gets fruit from vine
takes opal given from Meerbat
Protects Rakeesh during fight with Raja in throne-room

Once we travel to tribe and watch the cutscene the hero then has a ton he can do.

-Practice spear throwing
Practice on Wresting Bridge
Play game with Chief's son
get dinosaur horn that you will need later
Head to pool of peace
fill multiple water skins
go to world tree on third screen
talk to guardian and get gem
use water at top of tree of world get fruit

I also started looking for several other items (flower and manu the monkey stuck in trap) then the game crashed.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
I loved everything about this game, thank you for LPing it :)

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Glad you enjoy the LP it will continue shortly. I'm currently moving into my new home and its taking awhile to set everything up.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Part 3 is up after a long absence. Sorry...I was moving.

Anyway in this episode we:

Fight a Leopardman, Wyvern and Ant for points

Talk to the Storyteller by the cage in the Simbani Tribe to learn the story of the stolen spear.

Talk the the Simbani Chief about all topics...and check out the Drum in the back. This will give you points, but don't piss him off! You don't want to lose honor!

Practice on the wrestling Bridge with Uhura and beat her.

Listen to the storyteller for points before going back to Tarna.

Ask Yesufu to be your friend before going back to Tarna (should be there the morning after the story)

Once back in Tarna go to the order and find out if you are one with yourself (just make sure to answer how your character would answer)

We are now a bringer of light....

Stay tuned for Part 4!

Thanks for watching!

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Welcome back. Are you planning on going all the way through QfG IV and V as well?

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Yes. I've done a QFG IV LP but I'm going to do it again with my better equipment. V will be done as well. Looking forward to it more than I expected.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Welcome to Part 4 of my Quest for Glory LP.

Click here for Part 4

We begin still in Tarna awaiting night time. Once night falls, we can find our next big quest.

Remember this guy? We chased him at the start of the game and watched him lose his honor. Apparently it was a big deal and now he is starving to death.

Now, you need to give him food at least once and talk to him about everything in order to befriend him, but as a Paladin you can take full advantage of this situation.

If you took 99 meat from the Kalib vendor you can give it all to him now for big PP points and gain almost all of your Paladin abilities at once. I only had 60 but I did gain the danger sense. Next I will gain the honor shield with cuts damage, but the flaming sword is so powerful it isn't really a big deal.

*added* You can offer him money over and over for honor/PP and he will decline, yet you will get PP points...however you need to give food for the actual game points. (first time)

After dealing with Harami you can go talk to Rakeesh and his wife about all topics and further the plot...however one thing you need to do is find the survivor of the peace talks and try and get some info out of him...he is pretty much gone mentally, but you can get some info out of him before he breaks.

The next day go give all the ingredients to Salim for the dispel potion, but remember it takes a day for him to make them. If you need to fight monsters or buy anything for the rest of the game, now is the time.

The next day go and purchase (this game doesn't give them for free) the dispel potions and head back to the Simbani Village. They should have a prisoner that you can give the potions to. Do this and SURPRISE you've got a leopardWOMEN. She hates you and you have to give her some beads, the carving and a fine dagger in order to befriend her in any way.

Then go talk to The Chief and enter the warrior initiation. You must have a dinosaur horn in order to participate. If you don't go kill one now.

Once this initiation begins do the following:

Challenge 1: Ring in the Tree
The first challenge takes place at a tree. A ring is hanging over a large pit by the tree. The objective is to get the ring in three moves or less.

Yesufu will use two moves to knock down the ring, then use one to jump inside the pit and grab it. When your turn comes up, grab the vine from by the tree, tie it to one of the spears, then toss in at the ring. You'll nab it.

Challenge 2: The Circle of Thorns
The second challenge takes place at a ring of thorns. A golden ring lies inside. The objective is to nab the ring.

Yesufu will try to break through with a spear. You, however, should take the path of least resistance. Push the log into the thorns, then climb over it and grab the ring.

While running back to the village, Yesufu will get his foot caught in a trap. Help him out, and you'll begin to run back to the village.

Challenge 3: Spear Throwing
The objective is simple: throw the spears at the target. It's basically the pratice all over again; however, Yesufu is MUCH better at throwing than Uhura. Just use some skill to win.

Challenge 4: Moving Target
It's spear throwing again. Only this time, the target's moving!

Challenge 5: Wrestling Bridge
The Wrestling Bridge is the last challenge. You have to knock your opponent down three times.

After all this, either you or Yesufu will be named winner. If you won, ask for the Drum. If Yesufu won, he'll give the Drum to you for helping him out of the trap. Now we need to get our new bride...but we will do that...NEXT TIME!

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 11, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You can actually get honor and paladin points even cheaper by offering the thief money. He won't accept any because money is useless to him, but your stats will keep going up regardless.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

You are correct, I actually forgot about that! Thanks for mentioning it! I'll add it to the previous post!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I can't really remember 3 all that well, but it makes me excited for the simple fact that this means 4 is right around the corner! That was the best in the series anyway.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

4 indeed is the best. By Far.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Alright the final part is up! Thanks for being patient and watching!

The Final Part!

We start this episode and give our new "wife" 3 items: Beads, Knife and Katta carving. Then you release her...oops...she runs off. Then you need to follow her into the jungle.

Head out into the jungle. Wander around aimlessly until you get the message that you're being watched. Shout out to whoever's watching you, and the Leopardwoman will show up and introduce herself as Johari. Talk to her about everything. If you're a Fighter, Paladin, or Thief, show her the Drum. If you're a Wizard, say good-bye, open the present (if you haven't already) to get Juggling Lights, then walk around until Johari shows up again. Talk to her about everything (ESPECIALLY MAGIC), and she'll walk away after giving you the Lightning Ball spell. Walk around again, and she'll show up. Tell about Peace, and you'll finally be able to continue.

After some chatting, you'll reach the Leopardman Village. Tell Johari about Romance, then tell about Shapier. You'll finally get laid- well, just a kiss, anyway. But for the Hero...that is pretty good!

You'll be taken to meet the Leopardman Chief. After some guff, give him the Drum. Tell about either the Spear or Peace, and he'll give the Spear of Death over in exchange. Now they will discuss peace and you will automatically go back to Tarna....

In Tarna...things go bad...just watch the video...needless to say things go bad.

You can't go to Tarna or the Simbani Village now, so head on over to the Jungle. When you get there, you should run into our little monkey friend, Manu! He'll offer to take you to the Monkey Village. Accept.

After a long trip, you'll reach the village. It lies high in the treetops, so you have to get up there. Fighters have to try to climb the tree (and fail miserably), then talk to Manu about the Swingline until he lowers one. Use it to climb up, then take it. Paladins should do the same, but you can't take the Swingline. Wizards can just use Levitate. Thieves can either climb the tree or use the Grapnel.

Little monkeys will dance around, but only Manu has the power to talk. Ask about the Lost City, and he'll panic. Try asking, pleading, arguing, and begging until he finally agrees, along with the other monkeys, to show you a way across. Now you can access those ancient ruins!

You'll be taken to the waterfall. All the monkeys will jump across except Manu, who'll stay to help you. Fighters should tell Manu about the rope bridge, then use the Swingline to get across. Paladins have to take the vine nearby, then do the same thing. Wizards have to grab the vine, use it on thereselves, tell Manu about Levitate, then cast it to cross. Thieves can just use the Grapnel.

You'll be journeying through the jungle again; only this time, an evil Demon Worm will show up! Your monkey friends will all run off...kill the worm and get the points...the Monkey's will call you their hero and we can move on again.

Examine it to get a close picture, then insert the Fire Opal into the eye socket. You can now enter.

Inside, you'll immediately meet Frick and Frack.

Just walk towards them. Frack will run off to tell the others, leaving you to fight Frick. He's really easy, if you ask me. After that, just bust open the door.

Inside, you'll find Reeshaka! Rakeesh's daughter is alive! Unfortunately, a demon will possess her. Use a Dispel Potion to break the spell. At that point, Rakeesh, Uhura, Yesufu, Johari, and Harami will arrive. After healing Reeshaka, Rakeesh will divide the group: two will fight the demons, while five will go on to battle the Wizard. Unfortunately, Harami decides against fighting demons, but Manu shows up to fill the missing space. If you're a Fighter, Yesufu will give you the Spear of Death.

The next room has five mirrors. You, Yesufu, Reeshaka, Johari, and Manu will each go to a different mirror, where a demon Doppleganger version will battle you. You cannot win the battle, no matter what, so just survive. Eventually, Harami will show up and stab the Doppleganger in the back, giving you time to face the Demon Wizard. What happens next is determined by your class.

The Demon Wizard will meet you, then explain the whole crooked plot. He stole the Drum and the Spear, and he wants the war in order to destroy Tarna! When he creates the Gargoyle, kill it, then try to cross over. You'll get stuck. Save, then throw your sword at him. He'll pull it out, but get struck by lightning. Cross over and use the Shield on the orb to knock it through the gate, closing it forever.

I will say that I'll not spoil the ending...but it is TERRIBLE.

However we are ready to move on to the best game in the series...QFG IV Shadows of Darkness!

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

I loved this game so much and then the ending came and I was SO MAD.
Thank you for the LP!

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Noisycat posted:

I loved this game so much and then the ending came and I was SO MAD.
Thank you for the LP!

I know...I wondered for some time what exactly I had done wrong to get that ending...then I realized...it was just that bad because it was just to lead right into QFG IV...

Thanks for watching.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, this game was actually not supposed to exist, but they were plotting out the narrative and realized that the themes and character arc for Shadows needed a bit more growth from the Hero from where he left off in Shapeir, so they threw together the story for QFG 3. So while they did a bang-up job with it, it's still a bit short and mainly serves to move the story along to where you wind up in...the next installment.

Really looking forward to this one!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Saxcat20 posted:

I know...I wondered for some time what exactly I had done wrong to get that ending...then I realized...it was just that bad because it was just to lead right into QFG IV...

Thanks for watching.

I think the ending was softened for me because I didn't play the games until QFG Anthology, so it wasn't a cliffhanger for me, I just went right into QFG IV.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
QFG III was my favorite QFG. Like Bobbin, I acknowledge its not the best QFG, but I think its fair to have a favorite game or movie while also acknowledging its not one of the greatest.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

QFG III was my favorite QFG. Like Bobbin, I acknowledge its not the best QFG, but I think its fair to have a favorite game or movie while also acknowledging its not one of the greatest.

agreed

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, this game was actually not supposed to exist, but they were plotting out the narrative and realized that the themes and character arc for Shadows needed a bit more growth from the Hero from where he left off in Shapeir, so they threw together the story for QFG 3. So while they did a bang-up job with it, it's still a bit short and mainly serves to move the story along to where you wind up in...the next installment.

Really looking forward to this one!

I'm glad they waited. Shadows is just so good despite the crippling bugs when it first came out. my windows version never worked right.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

ProfessorBooty posted:

As a dedicated thief, QFG3 was absolutely my least favorite as a kid. Then I went back and played as a magic user, and hey presto, it's way up there close to my favorite! I wish they'd have included juuuuuust a little more content, because there's the seed of a lot of very interesting stuff here - the safari as opposed to a smaller area of exploration (which even managed to be different than the vast, tractless desert in QFG2), the lost civilizations, the outright magical warfare... there's a lot to love!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Bacter posted:

As a dedicated thief, QFG3 was absolutely my least favorite as a kid. Then I went back and played as a magic user, and hey presto, it's way up there close to my favorite! I wish they'd have included juuuuuust a little more content, because there's the seed of a lot of very interesting stuff here - the safari as opposed to a smaller area of exploration (which even managed to be different than the vast, tractless desert in QFG2), the lost civilizations, the outright magical warfare... there's a lot to love!

I had the opposite problem; I went through QFG3 as a fighter first, and I had a blast. (Thank God I didn't import my thief from QFG2!)

And "there's a lot to love" sums up the whole drat series.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

I remember just being so drat happy that Julanar would finally be freed, and by the awesome hippy guy too.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Bacter posted:

I agree I was a dedicated thief (with magic abilities) as a kid and that made QFGIII a letdown, but as a paladin or wizard it is much better. It is good being in a series that most games are really good, lol.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Snorb posted:

And "there's a lot to love" sums up the whole drat series.

It really does.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Noisycat posted:

I remember just being so drat happy that Julanar would finally be freed, and by the awesome hippy guy too.

Yes and then seeing them together in QFG V made me happy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Saxcat20 posted:

I agree I was a dedicated thief (with magic abilities) as a kid and that made QFGIII a letdown, but as a paladin or wizard it is much better. It is good being in a series that most games are really good, lol.

I suppose it's just desserts considering thieves usually have the most extensive class-based stuff in the other four games.

In 1 fighters only get the Weapon Master duel and magic-users can play a minigame (which anyone with Magic can play), 2 probably has the best balance between the three (although again anyone with Magic can join WIT), 4's got lots of Paladin stuff but Fighters get shafted and the Wizard thing is lame, and in 5 I can't think of any Fighter/Paladin/Wizard-exclusive content except that some of the love interests can be picky. I think even most of the puzzles with alternate solutions can be solved by anyone with the right skill set.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I never even bothered with 5. The initial game reviews were pretty harsh on it. Is QFG 5 worth it, in retrospect? I think I might have it via the GOG QFG anthology.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Just imagine that it's not a QFG game, and you'll enjoy it. Expect a QFG game, and it 's tears and ashes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bacter posted:

Just imagine that it's not a QFG game, and you'll enjoy it. Expect a QFG game, and it 's tears and ashes.

I wouldn't go that far. It's more like the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I wouldn't go that far. It's more like the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

I always liked it, they tried, but Sierra had so much trouble with 3D gaming.

• Locked thread