Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a fragile ego

let's talk about books here, ill recommend some
-kafka on the shore (haruki murakami)
-infinite jest (david foster wallace)
-of mice and men (john steinbeck)

you should recommend some books too, friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogi

Here is my current reading list, OP:

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami (I have about 1/8 left).

Trainspotting - Irving Welsh

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 - Hunter S. Thompson (I got halfway througu but had to put this on the backburner for a bit, it was too depressing).

Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi

Mr. Arkadin - Orson Welles (!!!)

I'm also reading through Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, it's surprisingly good.

As a side story, I think one of my favoritw book related memories was finishing Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diaries while perched on a rock on a sunny afternoon somewhere on the California coastline. I finished just as the sun went down. It was beautiful.

tao of lmao

lots of Cool books but only one Good one

pogi

Vendor Trash posted:

lots of Cool books but only one Good one

Bwee
I was really disappointed with wind-up bird chronicle

pogi

Bwee posted:

It's getting pretty close to the end and not much has happened yet.

Bwee
the scene where the guy gets flayed is intense

pogi

If we're talking Murakami, I will say that I liked Norwegian Wood quite a bit.

pogi

Bwee posted:

the scene where the guy gets flayed is intense

I liked the main guy's reaction to his wife's letter. "Welp. Looks like my wife had freaknasty sex with some random." *shrugs shoulders, chugs beer*

Bwee
he likes cutty sark

shabbat goy

William Gaddis posted:

remember the kobo Abe book about the guy who lives in the underground bunker and is really into bugs that spin around in circles in their own feces

I lol'ed at this post a while ago and got around to reading this book. It's good.

(Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe)

pogi

In Norwegian Wood, I thought the scene where the main guy and the second girl sip on beer and play guitar while it's raining ash from a nearby housefire was one of the most beautiful, romantic things I've ever read

bacalou

neuromancer by william gibson

cats cradle by kurt vonnegut

ham_sanitizer

professional swine bather
indignation by Phillip Roth is very cool

ham_sanitizer

professional swine bather

crust munch posted:

neuromancer by william gibson

cats cradle by kurt vonnegut

excellent choices

joke_explainer

I don't think Neuromancer is the best book ever written or anything, but I do think it has absolutely astounding pacing.

I love the foreword in the new printing 20th anniv edition neuromancer that is like 'now there is a new mystery for new readers to solve: why they don't have cell phones in Chiba city'

bacalou

joke_explainer posted:

I don't think Neuromancer is the best book ever written or anything, but I do think it has absolutely astounding pacing.

I love the foreword in the new printing 20th anniv edition neuromancer that is like 'now there is a new mystery for new readers to solve: why they don't have cell phones in Chiba city'

always assumed case was part of an illegal sneakernet that ran off of radio-free hardware to move whatever to wherever because the internet was basically an open book to artifical intelligence and military software. chiba is a self-contained darknet, a city of ghosts which exist only to accelerate human progress through the black market.

nothing more popular than an anonymous phone terminal in a city of anonymous people

Ace of Baes
Born to Run
Run or Die
Eat and Run
The Marathon Monks of Mount Hiei
War and Peace
House of Leaves
Becoming a Supple Leopard

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ace of Baes
not a book but Issac Asimovs short stories

----------------

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ulysses by a gentleman called james Joyce :grin:

Bwee
The wonderful story of Henry sugar

Ace of Baes
On Capital - Karl Marx
Hegemony and Survival- Noam Chomsky
Failed States- Noam Chomsky
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith

----------------

bwatts

the brothers karamazov by fyodor dostoyevsky
inspector by nikolai gogol
the war diaries of vasily grossman

bwatts

soon im going to read today i wrote nothing: the selected works of daniil kharms, apparently its a good collection of his stories. i'm looking forward to it

Pizzatime

the very cool book is ubik

Wertjoe

Bwee posted:

I really liked it actually. Maybe it's because it was the first Murakami book I read? The main character's general malaise about everything seemed more like a statement about society. He was just another normal person intruding into the abnormal part of the world and he just wasn't able to react in a way other than "Try to continue being normal, drink a beer, sit in a well, put the door back."

I havent read it in a while though so maybe I should re read it to see if my interpretation is still valid.

Bwee
No you're right I think it's a spirit of the times thing, the whole "normal guy reacts blandly to weird stuff" thing is fairly common in literature/film/tv/etc now but i'm sure main guy's shtick was more interesting and novel in 1994

Tebulot

im hip now bois

Neuropath is right up there on my list.

Blindsight, by Peter Watts is my absolute favourite book though.

Also good:

Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson
Lord of Light of Roger Zelazny (Really cool, human settles planet, the original crew of the colonisation ship use technology to make themselves immortal and take on the powers and personalities of the Hindu gods to control the planet)
Dark Tower series from King
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (Biopunk set in the future in Thailand, again, really cool)

Tebulot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 8, 2015

dogcrash truther
neuromancer kinda sucks, sorry

Bwee
this is a relaly unique book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._%28Dorst_novel%29

bacalou

dogcrash truther posted:

neuromancer kinda sucks, sorry

gonna back that up with anything

dogcrash truther
all of its female characters are bullshit

dogcrash truther
if youc ant write believable characters of both sexes, gently caress you

eig

im reading the david duchonvy HOLY COW book but i think its kinda dumb!!! cows cant write books!!!!

Afro Doug

one of my favorites is 2666 by roberto bolaņo, even though it gets insanely tedious in some parts

dogcrash truther

eig posted:

im reading the david duchonvy HOLY COW book but i think its kinda dumb!!! cows cant write books!!!!

woah, hello

dogcrash truther
is this thread for "cool"? books only, or good books

bacalou

dogcrash truther: "hi I'm dct I don't like strong female protagonists"

eig

what is a "cool" book vs a good book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther

crust munch posted:

dogcrash truther: "hi I'm dct I don't like strong female protagonists"