Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

((( My Steam ID in case you have suggestions/questions: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Palpek/ )))
((( Use IsThereAnyDeal to track your Steam wishlist on all the sites everywhere forever. )))

:gaben: Welcome to the Steam (and other distribution platforms) Summer Sale 2015 Thread. If the leaks are right it should start on June 11th. It's the biggest sale event in digital distribution by far. Oh yeah, right after Christmas Sale.

Pro-click: http://store.steampowered.com/ or better use http://gabegaming.com/

This post is sponsored by smiling Hatred guy.

Too Lazy to Stop is a god-tier poster and made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMYH9bHcY
:captainpop:

Infinitum stepped up and made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ptyz7k9F2k
:captainpop:

DAILY DEAL = FLASH DEAL = COMMUNITY DEAL It won't get cheaper if the slot the deal sits in changes, stop asking about that (unless it's a pricing error :v:).

:siren: Join our #steamgoons IRC channel to get hype! :siren:

:gaben: Other distribution services:

Anyway, gently caress Steam Sale because there are better deals on (always ctrl+f to make sure the deal offers a Steam key):

• Amazon.com has a fantastic Digital PC Downloads section that has been destroying Steam over and over. If Steam is somehow cheaper they often price-match. Put in a fake US address to buy outside US, also this doesn't work for everybody.
    :siren: Amazon Summer Sale has already started!!! :siren:

• Greenman Gaming sometimes just has the best deals and often offers a discount code that additionally shaves 15-25% off the sale price. If you can't see the code on the main page search their blog for it.

• Nuuvem is a relatively fresh Russian Brazilian site but has already made a splash. Some of their deals are insane and don't worry - they're legit and goon-approved. Be aware though they may not accept a card from your region for no apparent reason, use VPN in that case, they don't care.

• Gamers Gate offers some cool daily deals but nothing too epic UNTIL they gently caress up the prices. $20 for Bethesda's whole catalogue anyone?

• Humble Bundle has opened a full-fledged store. Always remember to check their regular and weekly bundles while you're there so that you can shovel some garbage you'll never play into your backlog.

• Bundle Stars has also opened a store. They have some good deals on often obscure titles that aren't a highlight anywhere else. They also have bundles, duh.

• Gamefly offers standard deals but then there's this ONE game that is absolutely cheaper than anywhere else.

• Indie Royale may be that-bundle-that-used-to-be-great-but-now-sucks but they also launched the Daily Royale site that has cool fresh deals every day.

• Groupees always has 2-3 bundles going on at the same time. Better check them before you drop money on an obscure indie game.

• Indie Gala has a store. It sucks. But hey, sometimes it doesn't!

:gaben: Actually Steam sucks so much that I don't even need Steam keys:

• Good Old Games also offers new games now. It's one of the only truly DRM-free services out there if that's important to you. GOG owns but they're also horrible corporate monsters lately or something.
    :siren: GOG Summer Sale has already started!!! :siren:

• Yeah, yeah I know - Origin. But it DOES have big sales now as it turns out brands aren't cheapened by those that much. It offers EA's big popular games that are not available on Steam: Battlefield, Fifa, Mass Effect 3, NFS, SimCity, Titanfall and other crap.

• Ubisoft Store offers Ubisoft games. Be sure to use the same Uplay account on Steam games that require it. Otherwise you'll end up with 2 stupid accounts that can't be merged. Remember that you're NOT getting Steam keys!

:gaben: Just kidding, I still love Steam! Sale window: June 11th, 2015 to ??? (+ maybe an encore weekend).

Types of deals:
  • Daily Deals - The standard way of Steam to offer deals during these sales. You have 24 hours to get a game, then another 24 hours extended in the background. Makes it much easier to make up your mind where to spend your hard earned cash.
  • Flash Deals - The new way of getting your money - each game gets a short period of being on sale, and it might or might not show up multiple times during the entire sale.
  • “Community Choice” Deals - A new vote starts every day where you choose 1 of 3 proposed games and the most voted one will become a deal. It will almost always be the most popular game and not the one people actually want to buy, figures.
  • Deals swap over at 10am Pacific Time. Also more often than not, you should see an "Offer ends in" timer to give you an idea for how much longer you can get the game at a certain sale price.
  • There will most likely be an encore of the most popular deals at the end of the sale

homeless snail posted:

It's kind of pointless to ask people to make steam sale predictions.

:gaben: Rules of sale:

• If the game you want isn't a daily/flash deal - wait for it to become one or buy it on the last day. "Aw hell I just bought Skyrim for $30 and now it's a daily for $10 " is something we read in the sale threads on every single page.
  • Put a set amount of money to your Steam wallet AND NO MORE*. You don't want your card being knocked back when you try and buy that Nancy Drew game you've been waiting for with 5 minutes on the sale clock.
    *Unless you are from and area that gets screwed by regional pricing a lot (eg. Australia). Put that sweet cash in your paypal, and you'll be sending off cash to one of our many regional gifters in no time, with no fuss! Some censored games are region restricted from gifting though (Wolfenstein: TNO).
  • Consider buying games as gifts into your inventory instead of your library and only open them when you intend to play them. When you finally wake up from the shopping spree you'll wonder why the hell you bought all those games but if they're gifts you'll be able to trade/sell them. Believe me we have all been there.
  • Organize 2 or 4 packs where possible. It can often save you and your fellow goons a good sum of cash.
  • There are usually tons of games discounted 75%+ that aren't mentioned on the main page. Go hunting.
  • Steam does refunds now! This unprecedented feature is only available to you for 2 weeks after purchase and if you haven't played the title for more than 2 hours. However you still have to deal with Steam Support to get these so don't realy on this by default.

:gaben: Wow, this year's metagame is Mysterious Cards (wow, just like last year):

They're Steam cards - there are 10 regular and 10 foil types. You get them for completing game badges. You can buy them and sell them on the market if you want for gazillion dollars. Their price will peak shortly after the sale starts and then immediately drop. Whatever.[/list]

:gaben: Tips & Tricks:
  • Did you know we have an official Steam Goons IRC channel? If you want to talk about games, deals, find gifters, give out games or just chill out - come on over. We're active throughout the year. Just don't be a dickhead and don't beg for games.
  • Steam Sale Tracker will make it easier to track Steam deals.
  • IsThereAnyDeal will e-mail you about deals on games from your wishlist when they specifically set price points. It scans ALL distribution sites for those. This is an amazing service that will also make you spend all your money.
  • Use Cheap Shark to find good deals and Steam Prices to find out where it's the cheapest!
  • Augment your Steam! Install Enhanced Steam: for Chrome, for Mozilla.
  • If you want to see regional prices as a handy table on the right install Steam Regional Price Checker.
  • If you're looking for the main Steam thread, it's here. If you want to trade games, go here. If you want to trade Steam Cards, go here. If you're feeling generous and want to give away games, go here.
  • "This might be a stupid question, but how do you get to the regular store screen?" -You can't. Big sales traditionally take over regular Steam until they're over.

:gaben:Recommendations

:gaben: Goon Gifters

:siren: New regional locks on gifting introduced on Steam last year may apply. :siren: Make sure the game you want to get gifted can be redeemed in your region!!!

Sometimes there's just a better deal in another region. That's when you contact fellow goons that are willing to gift you a game after you paypal them the money.

If you're going to be contacting one of the gifters in this section, it's probably a good idea to at least be in the SA Goons group, so we know you're not just a random pubbie trying to do a lovely trade. If you want to join the group, go post in this thread - don't request an invite in this one!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SGCWhWBjYc

Gabe, bring back :coal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGxA48HQ1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IX8aMiCJQ0

:gaben: http://gaben.tv/

:gaben: http://gaben.amigocraft.net/

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Thread has been started as there are just a few days left until the sale starts, the Summer Sale mysterious cards are already selling on the market and Amazon already pulled the trigger and started their sale.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Someone please remake the thread without links to other sketchy european sites thanks.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
While Steam does refunds now, do not buy a game just to check it out if you're not comfortable with Valve basically holding your money for however long it takes for them to get around to granting you a refund. Just because they now have an automated system, it doesn't mean you will get your money back within an hour. I'm still waiting on a refund of a game that falls within their no-questions-asked refund policy (it's now the second day).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, the downside of refunds is that you still have to go through Steam Support which is as bad as always so treat this option as the last resort.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Palpek posted:

Yeah, the downside of refunds is that you still have to go through Steam Support which is as bad as always so treat this option as the last resort.

At least it's a bit of protection from impulse purchasing and then buyer regret. And bad ports.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Reminder that Valve doesn't consider it abuse of refund system if you ask for a refund because the game suddenly got cheaper because of sale.

But since it can take ages for the refund to go thro, you might want to consider buying the game into your inventory while you wait for Valve to remove it from your library.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Bully: Scholarship edition is only $3.00 on Amazon. A great game, and a steal at $3. (Activates on Steam)

LA Noire is $6.00. Pretty great for the first playthrough, replay-ability isn't really a thing because the cases are the same, but it's a great the first go around. (Activates on Steam)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Puistokemisti pointed out to me that regional gifting restrictions may apply to some games: link. I added a warning to the gifting section - make sure the game you want to get gifted can be redeemed in your region!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
For the OP:

http://gaben.amigocraft.net/

And the only way to view the Steam page:

http://gabegaming.com/

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Put this link in the OP: Steam Sales Tracker

It's a list of every game on Steam with a reduced price. It'll be useful for finding games on sale that aren't listed on the main sale page.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Done and done.

Also now is a good time to sell your cards as their prices have risen as people try to complete badges to get mysterious cards. Use this to your advantage. Card prices will go down again shortly after the sale starts.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

I kept thinking a scary face would pop up to frighten me.
-
Any ideas on what the main event will be?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
  • Always check the Humble Store when you see a game on sale; they'll often have the same price, and you'll get a steam key anyway
  • If a price looks too good, it probably is and you should grab it ASAP before they fix the price

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Palpek posted:

Done and done.

Also now is a good time to sell your cards as their prices have risen as people try to complete badges to get mysterious cards. Use this to your advantage. Card prices will go down again shortly after the sale starts.

Also if you want to be able to sell the Mysterious cards the second the sale starts you need to craft badges immediately. They'll skyrocket in price once the sale starts and given the new "7 day waiting period" to sell crafted/purchased items its going to gently caress with the market hard.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Last few sales there's been major game releases so look forward to some surprises.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm sure no-one here needs reminding but make sure your wishlist is up to date so you're not getting constant emails during the sale for deals on poo poo you don't want any more. Worthwhile running through your explore queue a bit as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

First we're gonna make

portal 2

and then we're gonna make

dota 2

portal 2

dota 2

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Last few sales have been kind of meh since all the new poo poo from the past year or so hasn't been discounted yet, or there just hasn't been anything interesting (and obviously I already own everything else). This summer might be one of the good ones though since there's a lot of interesting indie titles like Sunless Sea and Invisible Inc. out of EA and I'm expecting something like a 33% discount on games like Far Cry 4.

Edit: Last summer sale my wishlist was something like 30 titles. Now it's 90.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 5, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure why I'd want to complete sets of other games when I can buy all 5 counter-strike global offensive cards for 30 cents.

Then again why am I wasting money buying trading cards. Oh well, I can shrug it off thanks to buying and selling pixel guns. I need a real job.

e: Oh, you have a maximum of five badge crafts per game and then it caps out. Oh well.

e2: Well, 2 1s, 2 3s, 2 5s, 3 6s and an 8 for me. Guess it's trading time for me later.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 5, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

GOG's Summer Sale has been underway for a couple of days as well.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
A friendly reminder that gog.com has also started their summer sale, and unlike some previous years they seem to be discounting a fair amount. Based on the past few steam sales, gog may have better discounts than steam will for some things. So check there too, I guess.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So with the 7 day waiting period, won't there be a significant shortage of available mystery cards not long after the sale starts?
Like most of their "sale mini-games" this doesn't sound well thought out.

Sure, those initial cards will skyrocket, but wouldn't selling unlimited cards for ~$0.20 during the 10 days instead of a limited number be better?

VVV Well, I just crafted a bunch of badges, and the Mystery Cards, Backgounds, and Emotes that came out are all locked out until Wednesday. All the cards that dropped while playing/idling are immediately sellable though VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 5, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the 7 day restriction around purchased items and crafted items that use items that are restricted? So if you bought the cards last week you could wait to craft them until the sale starts, and they'll immediately be sellable.

I hope they so something cool with gems. Worst case the gems don't seem to lose value much, the floor seems pretty set just because of booster pricing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My plan is to buy all the games at full price now, refund them, and then I'll have even more money when the sale actually starts! :shepspends:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

gimmie a good discount on Shadow of Morder please

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lord Lambeth posted:

Bundlestars is way ahead of you. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-bundle/

$20 for the GOTY version (so all the dlc you probably don't want but oh well).

edit: It's just two codes. the Game code and then the "goty upgrade" code.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 5, 2015

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I have to think that will be coming, and I cannot recommend that game enough if you like rhythym-based combat, and assassins creed-style climbing even slightly.
Also highly recommended:
Dying Light
The Talos Principle (try the demo)

Those 3 games blew me away with how much fun I had with them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Early Xmas Summer Sale

Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai code (standalone expansion don't need the base game)

QYPQ7-3YM54-76VZA

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

Darkhold posted:

Early Xmas Summer Sale

Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai code (standalone expansion don't need the base game)

QYPQ7-3YM54-76VZA

Took this, thanks!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yo, I'm an American dude who can help out non American dudes with gifts.

Steamcommunity.com/id/BigBoswell

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

My plan is to buy all the games at full price now, refund them, and then I'll have even more money when the sale actually starts! :shepspends:

What.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad I got assassins creed rogue for $12 on Amazon.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im gonna buy a lot of pinball tables

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Since the card thread is archived I'll say this here.

I've got a bunch of the cards from the 2013 summer sale that I want to get rid of.

:siren:First come first serve!:siren:(Can't trade the Mysterious Card til the 9th sorry)

I'm not asking for anything in exchange, but if you really want to you can.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 6, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Awesome! posted:

and kragger just got me started with the balance of the force pack! thanks! im gonna lose so much time to that starfighter table

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Awesome! posted:

You and me both. Have you tried the Epic Quest table yet? It looks real goofy but I found it to be competent, complex and addictive. I haven't tried any of the Star Wars tables yet, and I'm in a weird state where I'm cycling through the tables I own trying to top my high scores. I should probably settle and focus heavily on a table, but Beatnik-Filmstar (whose SA name I don't remember) gifted me some tables and now I'm spoiled for choice. Pingoons are the best goons.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

only tried the demo. it didnt really grab me but ill try it again. i only had the portal and sorcerers lair tables before now. i actually like sorcerers lair more than i thought i would based on it being the freebie. portal is really good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Marvel Infinity War table is really good. Very unique stuff happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i love infinity war and was excited to see that table. definitely on the buy list along with doctor strange and captain america

• Locked thread