Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hi! This is (another) thread about everyone's favorite/least favorite text griefing game, Infernomoo. It forked from the older Hellmoo a while ago and recently got a mostly new admin team that has actually been Doing Things. I copied some of the poo poo in this OP from the OP of the last Infernomoo thread, so thanks guy who made that thread.

quote:

InfernoMOO is a post-apocalyptic text based role-playing game. It is set after an atomic conflict has brought down the great civilizations of the 21st century. Enough time has passed that some towns and vestiges of society have returned, but not nearly enough to curb the inherent violence and conflict of a life lived without comfort or salvation. Corporations both ancient and new sit astride the few surviving cities like obscene, glittering spiders, wielding their power over their desert domains without question and without mercy. The fake smile, the furtive stare are the weapons of the city-dweller, forever dependent on their corporate masters for protection against the raiders and radioactive sands. Yet a few wander the wastes, living off the bones of the old world and whatever justice they can find at the end of their gun. Only time will tell who is stronger.

Wiki here: http://inferno.optiquest.org/wiki/Main_Page

Text game?

Infernomoo is a text only game that is played using either telnet or another client (I recommend MUSHclient) to do everything. There's no system requirements at all.

What's this about griefing?

Infernomoo is an open PVP game (with the slight limitation of the admins frowning on people picking on newbies) and fully supports murder, theft, scamming, and most other kinds of sociopathic behaviour. Provided you arn't using some kind of exploit, most things are fair game.

Sounds neat. How do I connect?

Pop open MUSHclient, go to the Connection menu, hit Quick Connect, and a box should pop up. Name the game whatever you want, then in TCP/IP put inferno.optiquest.org and in Port put 7777, which should take you to the login screen. You should be able to figure it out from there!

What sort of features does Infernomoo have?

This is a large, but by no means comprehensive list of features.

* Heavily customizeable characters that can be trained in 30+ different skills and enhanced with mutations, ranging from bigger muscles to bone claws to speaking to plants to becoming a horrible irradiated abomination!
* Improved character generation and gymming!
* Full Player VS Player combat
* Overhead mini-map, in technicolor!
* A large number of helpful admins who are available most of the time (really, we mean it this time)
* Well-developed player and NPC economy with crafting and shops
* Robbery! Pick the locks of people's apartments while they arn't home and run away with their poo poo before the cops get there!
* A chop shop, where you can quickly dispose of someone's plane (or boat) for some cash and XP.
* A variety of weapons, from makeshift clubs and massive swords, to guns, hand grenades and nuclear missiles (Watch out for that last one)
* Player-created corporations that you can join to hang out and chat with your friends, from anywhere in the game
* Parties that you can join to talk to your party friends, also from anywhere in the game
* Drugs (buy, sell, and use them)
* Pilotable aircraft (Renowned for the being the best text-based aircraft ever, now with hot air balloons!)
* A bunch of drivable motorcycles
* Sex (Whore yourself out to NPCs or players for cash, or just screw someone for quick healing after a fight)
* Pregnancy and abortion (And auto-abortion)
* Communicable diseases (Including STDs, Ebola, and other such life-threatening diseases)
* Many, many mental illnesses with various effects.
* Gambling (Poker face not included)
* Fishing (Bring your own beer. Has also been de-Necanthroped so FC isn't continually fished out!)
* Mining (Now with appropriate miners' helmets!)
* Hacking and cybernetic implants (Design your own house on the internet!)
* Scientologists (With machine guns)
* Terrorists (Some of which use giant hammers)
* Pirates (Now in the Sky variety!)
* Zombies (Also in four-arms variety)
* Ghosts (Not in zombie flavor)
* Vampires (Who have no rights)
* Ninjas (In scientologist form too)
* Darkness (And lights with which to brighten said darkness)
* NPC 'Hunters' to fight off any mean player menace! (Or vampires or abominations)
* Hundreds of achievements and journal entries for unique feats! Plus, you keep all of these if you decide to reroll, allowing you to start off with a bunch more XP and get a leg up.
* A dev team that actually gives a poo poo about balance
* A wide variety of jobs that reward you with cash and XP!

Oh god this game is complex what do I do :(

There's an ingame chat channel called newbienet. Feel free to ask any questions you have here-- players arn't allowed to be retards on this channel so most of the advice you get from people is probably going to be good. Previous versions of this thread linked to Vayra's newbie guide, but that's no longer entirely pertinent as there have been many changes and his version is for another fork! There's a basic tutorial which should at least get you started on the interface stuff.

Which corp is the goon corp?

All of them. Alternately, none of them. I would recommend against joining FEM, as it takes anyone with a pulse, with all the quality and utility that this implies. Other than that, ask around, or make your own corps!

(shop HVAC)

Didn't you say something about griefing?

Wherein I kill someone and they fliip the gently caress out

Wherein a player is the worst jack in the box prize, ever.

Wherein someone recieves a Nice Coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Join a random corp, get a hacking implant, hack FEM's cameras.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I've been missing HellMOO something fierce later. Going to check this out B)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
InfernoMOO has a lot of quality of life improvements over Hellmoo that make starting again a hell of a lot more bearable, I'm a few days in on a new character and I'm smashing trees and I'm almost ready to start stomping players properly. Come join us we need more people to help us fight the FEM menace.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Unguided posted:

Join a random corp, get a hacking implant, hack FEM's cameras.

Alternately, hack FEM's players (with something sharp), cut out their implants, sell them to other people.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm playing. I did the tutorial stuff, bought a knife and some armor (I apparently have some money but I'm not sure how to tell), got attacked by a dog and killed it with a little assistance from some kind of cop bot. Didn't know how to skin it or otherwise loot it. Went into a bar to get off the street so I could read the help topics without getting attacked again, found a quiet room and started reading. A girl came in, a guy teleported in, guy gave the girl a coffee enema. She seemed to appreciate it. The guy has a normal name sometimes and a rainbow colored name other times and I can't figure out what that's all about. I can't tell who's a PC and who's an NPC. I don't know where I can log out safely. A lot of places smell like pee. It's like living in some 12 year old's fever dream.

Pretty cool, looking forward to more.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Is registration down? Not getting the emails.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

-Troika- posted:

Alternately, hack FEM's players (with something sharp), cut out their implants, sell them to other people.

Would if they didn't one shot me.

Frog Assassin posted:

I'm playing. I did the tutorial stuff, bought a knife and some armor (I apparently have some money but I'm not sure how to tell), got attacked by a dog and killed it with a little assistance from some kind of cop bot. Didn't know how to skin it or otherwise loot it. Went into a bar to get off the street so I could read the help topics without getting attacked again, found a quiet room and started reading. A girl came in, a guy teleported in, guy gave the girl a coffee enema. She seemed to appreciate it. The guy has a normal name sometimes and a rainbow colored name other times and I can't figure out what that's all about. I can't tell who's a PC and who's an NPC. I don't know where I can log out safely. A lot of places smell like pee. It's like living in some 12 year old's fever dream.

Pretty cool, looking forward to more.

The ex command is your friend, it will tell you what special commands an object has. You can search the dog's corpse to see if it has items (dogs don't but human corpses usually do) and you can use the butcher command to chop it to pieces or use the cut command to remove a specific part.

You can also use the drag corpse command to move corpses around, drag a corpse to the recycling center and type in "process corpse with unit" to turn it into soylent. You'll also get experience the first time you do it.

CL is the safe place to log out, RE is the recycling center.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Admin drama happened and a couple of them quit, threatening to leak the password database.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
What drama

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Oh ffs. Does this kind of thing really need to happen whenever a hell/hate/infernomoo server starts getting attention?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
being admin/dev/whatever for hell is an occupational hazard

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"A couple" meaning "one". RIP Io.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
well in that case we could always stir poo poo and grief bay12ers

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Has robbery been nerfed on this server?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Oh, this game again. Is there a particular corp that you guys would recommend beyond "not FEM"? Or does it really matter?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

s0m3 guy posted:

being admin/dev/whatever for hell is an occupational hazard

It's a lot of fun :getin:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I played a little earlier and there were only ~10 people on. Is this normal or is that just because of this lovely timezone?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does the game still start out with a good ol' round of pedophilia?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Anatharon posted:

Does the game still start out with a good ol' round of pedophilia?

Naw, that got removed. The orphanage got replaced with a museum, and the crack mansion is the new newbie starting zone for all your NPC raping needs.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

-Troika- posted:

"A couple" meaning "one". RIP Io.

All I know is there was a bunch of shouting in chat and I had to change my password.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Has robbery been nerfed on this server?

Not as far as I can tell. Me and two people from my corp robbed some guy just the other day, in fact :)

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

a7m2 posted:

I played a little earlier and there were only ~10 people on. Is this normal or is that just because of this lovely timezone?

Just play regular hellmoo, at the very least, it has people playing it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The population on this particular shard isn't as high as Gilmoo, but it makes up for it with the populace being better people all around and also having better admins.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I suppose that I'll give this poo poo a try, gonna have my entire existence be dissolved in blinding and fiery pain!

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I'm in InfernoMOO and HellMOO as Mash for anybody who is playing either. I'm still in the NEWB corp because I completely forget the early game, but I do remember punching the poo poo out of things / shoving them down stairs.

The news in InfernoMOO said something about them splitting off (again)? Is that GilMOO or something?

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 20, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mash posted:

I'm in InfernoMOO and HellMOO as Mash for anybody who is playing either. I'm still in the NEWB corp because I completely forget the early game, but I do remember punching the poo poo out of things / shoving them down stairs.

The news in InfernoMOO said something about them splitting off (again)? Is that GilMOO or something?

Nah. Basically one of the admins became extremely useless and belligerent and managed to get trolled off of the other server by the very existence of one of the other admins. He took a copy of the DB with him, with all the player passwords in it (everyone had their poo poo reset to be safe though, and it's all encrypted anyways).

Gilmoo is the original server from which all other forks came from but due to some drama eventually a scrubbed version of the code and db were released, which led to first Hell: After the End (known more popularly as Madamoo), and later, Infernomoo. HATEmoo went to poo poo because the player base up and left en masse due to the guy running the thing becoming increasingly crazy and insane due to heavy consumption of drugs, funded by a player on the server (who also incidentially recieved carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, up to and including said owner of the server making changes specifically to benefit his obnoxious, blind rear end).

I forget who started Infernomoo but it's the third incarnation of the game and it's gone through a bunch of owners; the current one is a very chill dude and he's unlikely to go crazy.

Old Hellmoo, also known as Gilmoo (after the admin, Gilmore, who along with some other people was the original creator of hellcode) is generally a carebear server-- PVP is heavily limited, as is griefing, and it caters to people who love cybersex and hate PVP. HateMOO went down sometime after virtually the entire server up and left en masse due to the owner's bullshit. Inferno's been around a while but was virtually inactive until recently when some new admins joined the team and started getting poo poo done.

This is just a quick cliff's notes; I don't feel like going back through all the old drama in detail (and indeed I don't even know all of it) and I'm hoping to not have this thread get poo poo up by old moo drama. :shobon:

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
After playing for a few days I can say that InfernoMOO is cool and good like before Mada went insane on HATE.

If anyone who played back then is interested in picking it up again, this is just about the best thing you're going to get right now.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hahahahaha Broseidon turned me into a bag of weed and it broke the server completely to pieces to the point where a manual restart was required

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Out of genuine curiosity, how are people even still interested in this? :iiam:

It was kinda fun just because of how messed up everything was, but that got boring for me at least. On the occasion I happen to think of it, though, I kinda wonder about the massive pile of stuff I missed. It'd be interesting if there was an actually vaguely complete wiki to look at.

Also what happened to HATE?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 21, 2015

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm interested because I've never played it before, and I'd heard stories of HellMOO. It's fun to run around and explore something new, but I don't know how long it'll hold my interest. The playerbase is pitifully small, any creature besides crackheads kick my rear end, and I go from downing them in three hits to taking loving FOREVER to kill one with no rhyme or reason that I can see. Experience gain seems to either be a slow grind on mobs or taking jobs that are a ticket to a quick death. Even the delivery boy job, which sounds like a noob quest if there ever was one, got me killed once and stuck in combat desperately trying to flee a few other times.

I'm not trying to dog the game or anything, like I said I'm enjoying poking around. Just don't see it having much appeal beyond a week or two.

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
You need someone to show you the ropes or it will be really slow progress. I started playing this again today and enjoying myself so far

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, you need to find a trainer or player who can teach you levels of your weapon. It's also a good idea to get a couple points in your weapon's stats at the gym and grab mutations that give points in those stats.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

-Troika- posted:

cliff's notes;

Ahh, I see. I used to play HellMOO (I guess GilMOO) back in 2010 with some Space Station 13 friends. I don't remember what crew I was in, but I do remember running into lorde doome a few times, who was just as robust in HellMOO as he was in SS13.

Good times.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently a lot of people don't use tinfoil on their apartments now. :downs:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So, chud got nerfed (the senses bonus was hit with a rake), which has led to a lot of angry people careposting on chatnet about it.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I played Gilmoo back when Cairnosaurus was stalking the streets, forgotten most of how the game works though. Can't seem to check the wiki though, is it down or do I need to register somewhere or something?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RIP all the crafters who took Chud to min-max.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

Morbidmind posted:

I played Gilmoo back when Cairnosaurus was stalking the streets, forgotten most of how the game works though. Can't seem to check the wiki though, is it down or do I need to register somewhere or something?

Any and all goon-run wikis are long dead and gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Someone left a fishtank on the road so I scooped it up with a hoverpad and took it to my apartment.

• Locked thread