Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

quote:

Microscope works different than some other role-playing games you might have played, so let's abandon some preconceptions:
  • You won't have your own character.
  • You won't play the game in chronological order. You may know all about the future, but be surprised by the past.
  • You'll build the story from the outside in. You'll decide the big picture, the grand scheme of history, and then burrow down and carve out the details.
It's "fractal gaming".

So think big, you have a massive chunk of history to play around in.

---

Welcome to Microscope! This game is presented by me in two parts: one, as a teacher to people who are unfamiliar with the modes of play this game presents; the other as a player, participating in a shared narrative that will hopefully present some interesting ideas.

The author of Microscope, Ben Robbins, has asked in the book when teaching the game to bring to your attention the following because it's really important:

Ben Robbins posted:

"All of us participating in this game have equal creative power. At times we'll have different roles and authority, but we're all equal participants and authors."
It may sound like I'm running the game because I'm the going to be explaining a lot about the rules, particularly for those new to the game or those following along, and I may interrupt and jump in to clarify how the game is played. But, I don't have any more authority than anyone else when it comes to actually playing the game, because there is no GM.

Now that we know what the game is about, we can get started.

---

quote:

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Setting up the Game

To start a new game, we will follow the four steps outlined below to set some initial parameters:
  1. Determine the big picture - a brief, one sentence overview of the history that we will create and experience.
  2. Establish the bookends of history - the absolute start and absolute end of where we intend to explore
  3. Define the palette of narrative ingredients: what should be in the game? What should be BANNED from the game?
  4. Begin the first pass of Microscope!
---

Explanation of Play

One we have finished the first four steps of setup, we'll be ready to start a proper session of play. Arriving at this point, we should already know more about our history than we did when we determined the big picture, and as we play we'll find out more and more.

The basic structure of the game is that we will keep going around in player order adding to the tableau of history, making either a Period, an Event, or a Scene. For each rotation, there will be one player called the LENS, and that player will pick the FOCUS that everything following players create must relate to.

Example: If the FOCUS is a city, each player (including the LENS) is going to get to add something that somehow relates to that specific city. It's a topic to keep us all on the same page.

If you make a Period or Event, just describe what happens as though we're seeing it from a bird's eye view. When it's your turn, you're in charge, and the rest of the players (and spectators!) will be eagerly waiting to see what you have to say.

Example: It is my turn, and the FOCUS is a specific city. I create a Period where the city is flourishing in an age of prosperity. However, the next player creates an Event within the new period I just made, which levels the city in a terrible calamity.

If you make a Scene, we all pick characters and play to find out what really happened during that moment of history. Scenes are special; they invite other players to come participate directly with you to answer a Question.

Example: On a player's turn, they raise a Scene that takes place during the aforementioned calamity. They pose a question to the group: "Was the calamity caused by people?" They then set the scene, and players act using characters to find out the answer to the Question.

---

Getting into the Microscope Mindset

History does not turn out the way a single person intended in Microscope; there will be things that people create that go nowhere, or events that nobody else likes. However, what other players add to the tableau of history may surprise you; likewise, your own additions will probably surprise them as well.

You may find that you do not have any ideas that seem particularly appealing, or end up fairly dry when it's your turn. This is fine; even though you may play something that you personally don't feel happy with, there is a good chance other players may see something in the idea and refine it through play that will ultimately validate your 'boring' idea.

Caveats about Microscope

You may find as a new player you have a lot of really great ideas and you can't wait to tell people about them. However, it's strongly encouraged to treat Microscope like poker - you want to keep your cool ideas close to your chest until you're ready to use them in actual play. If everybody else knows what you intend ahead of time, it takes out some of the mystique and maybe some of what makes the idea interesting in the first place.

Unlimited Power in Limited Context

Remember that when it's your turn, if you are playing an Event or Period, that is something you have complete control over. Nobody else can change that point of history, but they can ask for clarification. You also cannot ask for feedback from other players in any way - this is purely your creation. It may be shaped and informed from other player's work, or it may go in a new direction. Understanding your restrictions and working with maximum effect in that area is something new players will want to address and subsequently embrace.

About Introducing Advanced Rules

To begin, the rules for creating histories are enough to create an entire timeline full of interesting bits and bobs. There are special cases in the book that are presented that have to do with steering specifically a Scene (Pushing your alternative ideas to a vote), or taking an enduring concept, object, person, or place and carrying it forward to remain in the spotlight (exploring the Legacy of something). These will be covered when appropriate during play, but they are presented in the rulebook with examples.

---

Guidelines About Events and Periods
  • Try to avoid being vague. The gallery is allowed to ask for clarification when a player is describing something. This is not considered a veto; nobody is allowed to veto a creation unless it breaks the rules. However, it is important that everybody is able to clearly visualize what happens in the history, so people can build off of it later. If you're stuck, describe what someone would see from a bird's eye view of the action, like in a long panning shot or montage in a movie.
  • If you describe the start of a situation but not its conclusion, remember that this ties into the above - clearly define the conclusion.
  • Do not collaborate or make polls.
  • Do not allow other players to give you suggestions. Do not give other players suggestions.
  • When it is your turn, it's your turn, nobody else's. You make what you want to make with absolute authority.
Guidelines About Scenes
  • The primary purpose of a scene is to answer the Question posed when the scene has begun. As soon as the Question has been answered, play stops even if it is in the middle of action. If desired, the next person can use their turn to come up with a new Scene with a new Question that immediately follows the one that just ended.
  • In a five player environment sometimes it is more appropriate to have people pass on being in a scene, or to represent something in the background rather than a principal character. Someone can also choose to represent Time in the scene.
  • Limit things to your character's perspective, but reveal new details about the world through their eyes. Example: a guard may feel a tremor in the ground and think nothing of it, though this could be a moleman invasion preparing to attack. In this example, the player who represents the guard should only reveal the tremors and the guard's emotions surrounding it - they are unaware of a moleman attack.

---

Schedule of Play

Serving as a table of contents and a reminder to the order of play, I have created the order as noted in the second post. It will be updated as time goes on with bookmarks, and eventually compiled into a Google Doc for archived reading.

As part of teaching the game, I will go first to show how this works, so I will also be the first Lens and I'll pick the first Focus for our history.

After the end of the first pass, it is time to take a step back and review the history that has been constructed thus far. Is there a desire to explore further? If so, we can do a second pass, perhaps even a third pass. Do people think that everything is good the way it is? If so, there's no reason to force a continuation of play.

---

Liner Notes From the Author of Microscope

Ben Robbins posted:

Part of the heart and soul of Microscope is to have each person contribute their own unique ideas, and then see how those ideas intertwine and grow on each other. If we plan things out as a group or in small pockets of players - that is, if we collaborate rather than discover and experience - the magic of the game's design is lost. The game will work, but it won't be nearly as interesting.

Resist the urge to coach, criticize, or make suggestions to other players. Helping explain rules is great, but suggesting creative content is a faux pas. People may add things that you don't like or don't agree with - that's okay! The game is designed to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Turn 0: Game Setup
0.1: The Big Picture
0.2: Bookends
0.3: Palette
0.4: First Pass

Organized Play document

Turn 1: aldantefax is now the [LENS] - the [FOCUS] is Kovak Anur, the First Lucid
Turn 1a: aldantefax [Scene] - Kovak Anur's Elucidation
Turn 1b: Comrade Gorbash's turn
Turn 1c: Mors Rattus' turn
Turn 1d: FewtureMD's turn
Turn 1e: Quorum's turn
Turn 1f: [LENS] finishes the [FOCUS]
Turn 1g: Choose a new legacy, then explore one of the legacies: Quorum creates an Event or dictated Scene that relates to one of the Legacies

Turn 2: Comrade Gorbash is now the [LENS] - the [FOCUS] is ???
Turn 2a: Comrade Gorbash's turn
Turn 2b: Mors Rattus' turn
Turn 2c: FewtureMD's turn
Turn 2d: Quorum's turn
Turn 2e: aldantefax's turn
Turn 2f: [LENS] finishes the [FOCUS]
Turn 2g: Choose a new legacy, then explore one of the legacies: aldantefax creates an Event or dictated Scene that relates to one of the Legacies

Turn 3: Mors Rattus is now the [LENS] - the [FOCUS] is ???
Turn 3a: Mors Rattus' turn
Turn 3b: FewtureMD's turn
Turn 3c: Quorum's turn
Turn 3d: aldantefax's turn
Turn 3e: Comrade Gorbash's turn
Turn 3f: [LENS] finishes the [FOCUS]
Turn 3g: Choose a new legacy, then explore one of the legacies: Comrade Gorbash creates an Event or dictated Scene that relates to one of the Legacies

Turn 4: FewtureMD is now the [LENS] - the [FOCUS] is ???
Turn 4a: FewtureMD's turn
Turn 4b: Quorum's turn
Turn 4c: aldantefax's turn
Turn 4d: Comrade Gorbash's turn
Turn 4e: Mors Rattus' turn
Turn 4f: [LENS] finishes the [FOCUS]
Turn 4g: Choose a new legacy, then explore one of the legacies: Mors Rattus creates an Event or dictated Scene that relates to one of the Legacies

Turn 5: Quorum is now the [LENS] - the [FOCUS] is ???
Turn 5a: Quorum's turn
Turn 5b: aldantefax's turn
Turn 5c: Comrade Gorbash's turn
Turn 5d: Mors Rattus' turn
Turn 5e: FewtureMD's turn
Turn 5f: [LENS] finishes the [FOCUS]
Turn 5g: Choose a new legacy, then explore one of the legacies: FewtureMD creates an Event or dictated Scene that relates to one of the Legacies

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 29, 2015

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
0.1 - The Big Picture

In any order, people can throw out ideas here that is one line. It should be a single sentence that summarizes what happens but leaves out all the details. It is okay to collaborate and find an idea that everybody is happy with. This will help to make sure you're on the same page about the kind of game everybody wants to play. Note, however, that this is one of the only times that it is okay to collaborate. Once we've settled on a big picture we can move on to the next step.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, here's my first effort:

quote:

A world is shaped by the ability to negotiate and make pacts of power with other beings, as trades and exchanges of magical power shape all levels of life.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
That seems interesting! We're off to a good start. I'll try throwing a few out:

Magic gives birth to a new sport.

Mankind achieves apotheosis to challenge the old gods.

People struggle to rebuild after the Apocalypse.

Atlantis rises and falls.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Mankind destroys itself using magic.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Mighty empires, built with magic, rise and fall-- each containing the seeds of its own demise.

Society struggles to deal with a powerful form of magic which changes its nature and manner of expression once every nine generations.

Accurate divination magic shapes literally every decision, down to the most mundane, in an entire culture... but it contains a fatal flaw, leading to apocalypse.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Quorum posted:

Accurate divination magic shapes literally every decision, down to the most mundane, in an entire culture... but it contains a fatal flaw, leading to apocalypse.

Dear, sweet god, no. We want something that'll be fun to play afterwards! (In fact, when Palette comes up, I think I'll be using my option to ban any ability to see the future via magic.)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It's an interesting seed to think about though - I would imagine that if you had a society like that where divination magic had 100% accuracy you would end up with a very rigid society with people who have decision paralysis (why would you make a choice to do anything when your crystal ball tells you that something is 100% predestined already)?

Divination does not necessarily preclude foresight though - maybe it only lets you see into the past with unerring accuracy, but people still have to put the pieces together. Simple crimes and matters of arbitration would become important, and plans could become very grand in time scale in order to execute. Banning future sight would make it interesting indeed if we went with this seed!

Let's see what ideas Gorbash might have cooking whenever he gets around to it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
• The first great conqueror unites the fractious kingdoms under one banner.

• After the extinction of the dragons and the fall of their empires, their former slaves forge new nations in the rubble of a lost age.

• A world where music is a form of magic, leading to groups and idols vying for top billing in literal battles of the bands.

• A magical ship that travels between worlds crashes on a primitive, hostile world, and the survivors struggle to build a new civilization.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Let's talk about some of the ideas we have on the table right now and then decide on one. I see that there are a number of "big civilization rises/falls" as the prevailing idea. In fact, many of these ideas can come together in Events and Periods under one large history. To broaden the scope, then, would be something like this:

"The rise and fall of great empires."

In the interest of moving things forward we should probably commit to a big picture idea before the weekend's out if possible, Monday at the absolute latest. Since we have the US holidays coming up I'd like to get some rounds ahead of it so people get a feel for doing this over PBP!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Comrade Gorbash posted:

• After the extinction of the dragons and the fall of their empires, their former slaves forge new nations in the rubble of a lost age.

Dragon empires I can definitely live with; the motif of ancient-lost-empire with culture and technology now forgotten is a trope in fantasy, and it might actually fit if all that culture and advanced magic was because dragons.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I'm down with a post-dragon world as well, especially it it could lead to all sorts of interesting discoveries of lost magitech.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
dragopcalypse is good in my book

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hm. My one caveat is 'I like dragons, so I'm not sure I want to say they are all totally extinct.' But I think that that's solvable - maybe there's gradations of dragon, so the ones that had the empire are extinct, but maybe lesser relations - like the ape to the dragons' human - are still around.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Hm. My one caveat is 'I like dragons, so I'm not sure I want to say they are all totally extinct.' But I think that that's solvable - maybe there's gradations of dragon, so the ones that had the empire are extinct, but maybe lesser relations - like the ape to the dragons' human - are still around.

I agree, dragons are pretty cool and a culture that used to be ruled by them would probably have some pretty interesting mythologies and relationships with surviving "lesser" dragons.

TBH I wouldn't mind playing some during the dragon empire, either, so covering the decline and fall might be interesting.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I like the idea of there being lesser dragon and dragonkin still around. Drakes and wyverns and the like. Just not True Dragons after their empires fall.

Bookends seems like the next step. I say start with the beginning of the last Dragon Emperor's reign, and the ending is when the last immediate successor state is defunct. How long that covers could vary a lot, so we'd have plenty of room to play around with.

From the death of Phillip II (starting the reign of Alexander, the last Argead king and only real ruler of the empire he created) to fall of the last diadochi kingdoms was around 300 years. For Rome, it could be either about 1000 years from the last Western Emperor until the fall of Constantinople, or even 1450 years until the collapse of the Ottoman Empire if you consider the Byzantine Empire to be a continuation of Rome.

EDIT: I may have jumped the gun on this part, but I'll leave it up as part of my thought process. One thing I was thinking about - the technological level post Dragon Empire. Making it medieval seems boring. Maybe rather than being an analogue of Rome, it matches more with ancient Assyria so it's more of a classical era tech and social style? Or maybe it's later on, more Renaissance or even early industrial?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I suspect it might not end up having a direct analogue to an Earth time period, but rather a mix of them - but I do like the idea of Dragon Rome and the fallout of the collapse of Dragon Rome, so I'm all for what we have so far.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Before we move on, let's first confirm the big picture:

After the extinction of the dragons and the fall of their empires, their former slaves forge new nations in the rubble of a lost age.

This is definitely a fine example of a big picture and doable. If everybody is on board with this, then as Gorbash begun to make references to, we can determine the start and end periods of history.

0.2 - Bookends of History

History can extend infinitely in any direction, but for the purposes of Microscope we will need to establish an absolute beginning and absolute ending period of history. These give us the constraints within we can explore. Note than an uncountable amount of time can be between these two periods; for example, in the case of the current Big Picture, the starting period does not have to start after the extinction of the dragons, or the fall of their empires. Likewise, the ending period does not have to be that the slaves have forged their new nations.

I like the bookend period of starting some time when the Dragon Empire is in decline - it could during the final reign, or it could be whenever the first signs that the downfall of the Dragon Empire was going to take place. I would imagine since the outcome is ruination it would be a Dark period. "The Dragon Empire begins to decline from its height."

Also, I am a fan of cyclical history, so the successor empires crumbling or in decline as the other bookend period would also be Dark. "The nations of the Free Peoples crumble."

---

From this point forward, the basic building blocks of Microscope each will have a TONE of light or dark. This generally means the overall outcome being positive or negative of the Event, Period, or Scene, and this includes the Bookend Periods. As a group, we should determine what the bookend periods are, what their TONE is, and then fill them in. Time itself does not necessarily mean much in a Microscope game (it can always be massaged later when doing an extended treatment for other gaming purposes). Rather than thinking of the length of time, consider the actual focal points of history. A span of a thousand years could go by with nothing happening, or an entire period could focus on only 24 hours of time. Similar to what I put forth above, come up with some periods of your own that you'd like to use as bookends; or, if you'd like to support these ones, that's okay too.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

To clarify my bookend idea, I'll express it this way:

From the start of the last Dragon Emperor's reign, until the last successor nation is dissolved.

I'm phrasing it that way because it doesn't tie us to doing a cycle of collapse to collapse. The end of the successor nation could be a positive/peaceful thing if we decided we wanted it to be.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, I think that's what we're deciding now. Do we want a cycle of collapse, or an end to humanity's ties to Dragon Rome? I could go either way.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Cycle of collapses sounds too depressing for my tastes. Humanity moving beyond its painful past sounds like a way better bookend.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm cool with that - would the opening period of a Dragon Empire in decline be a Light or a Dark period?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Probably a Dark period, though having it be Light that leads into the decline could be interesting.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Valid point, but I was looking specifically for player feedback on this one (unless mcclay is a parachute account of one of the players!) - if you're spectating and have some feedback, I invite you to go post in the original recruitment thread here for your reference.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I like the idea of having the beginning of decline be a Dark period; after all, the Dragon Empire brought stability along with whatever tyranny it exhibited, and any fall of an empire tends to bring chaos, if only for a while.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm leaning dark as well, for the same reasons. Also, even if the end involves good things happening, the lead up to the fall is likely pretty rough. Think Star Wars (at least, the old canon) - the Empire is toppled by some plucky Rebels and gets replaced with more humane regimes, but that struggle to bring the Empire down is pretty brutal and dark.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Don't forget the wild thrashings as the dying Empire tries to maintain what little legitimacy it has left. Dark indeed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm good for Dark for the empire's decline and Light for the final cutting of ties to draconic culture.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm with Mors.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm good for Dark for the empire's decline and Light for the final cutting of ties to draconic culture.

+1

Plus, even a Light period can contain Dark notes and vice versa, so we can fine-tune things as we get to them.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

It seems like we've reached a consensus then

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Sounds good. To summarize, then, we will use the following for our Bookend Periods:

Start - The Dragon Empire declines with its final ruler. (Dark)

End - The Free Nations sever ties with their forebears, ushering a new age. (Light)

I figure calling the successor nations "Free Nations" makes sense but that can be adjusted if something more evocative is appropriate.

0.3 - Palette

The palette is the special spice that makes the game of Microscope a little more interesting. This is where you can say, in unequivocal terms, what you do want in the game, and what you DON'T want in the game. Things you would like to see but the setting does not imply (space travel? guns?) may not actually see use if nobody bites, but things that are placed into the "don't want" category are effectively banned from play and should not be circumvented (aliens? resurrection? humans?). These ingredients will have a fairly important impact on actual play when we get around to it.

At this point in the game, interaction begins to narrow down. Players can go in any order, and each of us will add something to the palette, one pick on the "Yes" or "No" side of it. These are open to discussion, but once they are agreed upon, further muddling with them will not be an option. You have been warned! This is to ensure everybody starts and stays on the same page throughout play.

Yes palette - these are ideas, concepts, or specific things that are not implied by the Big Picture or the Bookend Periods; something that other players would not expect, but you want to throw in as something that can potentially see treatment. Something in the Yes column cannot be banned. Even if something from this palette seems like it might be incongruous to the history, because everybody agreed to it, it still stands and we can work backwards to make it fit. Important note: things in the Yes palette are not automatically in play. Someone must actually do something with it in order to introduce it.

No palette - these are the opposite of the above - ideas, concepts, or specific things that players DO expect to be in the history, but you don't want it to be included. An example would be in a game where there is the expectation of magic, healing magic is placed in the 'no' category, which would have some serious ramifications for the setting. This must be respected at all times in play. This is a self-imposed restriction for the group, so be sure that there is consensus and some open-mindness about this.

Palette definitions continue until someone passes. At that point, this phase of setup immediately stops. This ensures no one player has more than one item in the palette more than the person who passed.

Since I've already written up all these words I'll throw in the following:

No - Resurrection/reincarnation spells. This does not include a natural cycle of reincarnation (if that is something we want to explore), but clerics cannot Raise Dead or True Resurrect or anything like that, and no spellcaster can wish someone back to life. This makes things like the pursuit of longevity through lichdom or other means more appealing. Also, because it is only impacting spells, perhaps there are ancient forbidden ways to bring someone back from the dead, such as traveling to Hell to exchange one's life for another (popularized in the Silmarillion and in Greek mythology). There's no easy way to do it, though, and that's the point of this ban.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No: Future-telling. Magic can't foretell the future. It can discover facts about the past, though I'd prefer if it were hard to get, say, instant 'video' of an area compared to facts like 'someone was here' or 'this blood came from someone who looks like this', but it can never predict the future. People instead rely on fortune telling no more accurate than that of our own world.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Yes: Non-human intelligent races. It'd be interesting to explore how, say, Dwarves dealt with the Dragon Empire, and how they react to its decline and fall. Or maybe Goblin barbarians? That kind of thing.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Yes. Emotional/Mental manipulation magic. The Dragon Empire was notorious for its reliance on these sorts of magics to maintain their power over the other races. Going on after their collapse, leaders of nations will be constantly tempted by the 'easy out' of mind control and emotional dampening.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Interesting! That would make sense though considering we have implied already that the Dragon Empire used slaves pretty heavily. This would be fertile ground to tread over in the earlier periods of history (maybe the loosening of this magic allowed for slaves to break free and fight for emancipation or something).

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

No: Hidden or "last of the" true dragons after the Empire falls. They're well and truly gone. I want to avoid that fantasy cliche of having a group be said to have disappeared, only to pop up every time a new hero or villain is needed (eg. half the population of Krypton seems to have survived the planet blowing up).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
That does not include lesser dragons or mixed breeds (assuming that's a thing), right? Only true dragons which might be likened to deities, effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, just the true dragons.

Also it doesn't mean there can't be legends or claims of true dragons, just that they never pan out into a real example.

• Locked thread