Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So you want to be a hero?

Welcome to this Let's Play of Quest For Glory! I'm going to attempt to run through all 5 games as a bit of a trip through nostalgia. These runs are going to be half-blind. I've beaten QFG 1,2 and 3 dozens of times, but I haven't played them for about 10 years. I'm not going to look at a walkthrough so we'll see how much I can remember or figure out if I get stuck.

The reason why I want to do this is because I've never beaten QFG4 or 5. That was because when those games were released, they had more bugs than a termite mound. Apparently the GOG version has these bugs fixed, so it's time to get off my rear end and actually finish the drat series for a change. Those games lean pretty heavily on events and characters from the first game, so I figured it was worth trying to run through the whole series.

I'll try to maintain a weekly schedule.

This is my first time running a Video LP. All feedback on how I can improve things is welcome :).

For the record, Bobbin did a great Screenshot LP of Quest For Glory. It's his usual high-standard of quality, so if you like what I'm doing, you should definitely check out his work.
http://lparchive.org/Quest-for-Glory-1-5/

Spoiler Policy: This game is more than 20 years old and has been LP'd before. Talk about whatever you like

Quest For Glory 1:
Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnx_4oU_yj4
This episode shows off the town of Spielburg and goes over some of the basic mechanics.

Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmvJWztL6Q
This episode shows everything that's in the forest, the first fights and our first break-in.

Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj7vNVkgmaI
Training, Erasmus and more thieving

Episode 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByvuEHw0Tk
The cave near Erana's Peace.

Episode 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtGBZiZrmg (Fixed!)
Baba Yaga and Spielburg at night.

Episode 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfnbREJx6Kw
Tying up loose ends

Last Episode of Hero's Quest 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIl1urtQOzY
Wrapping everything up.

Quest For Glory 2:
Episode 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gwXzgkohPw
All of Shapier

Episode 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fW1vq2CvcU
- Buying a Saurus
- The Desert
- Daily routine on uneventful days
- Theft?

H13 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah, this line of games. Nice. I have all these games, some of them floppy even. Never beat 5 myself. It being so different made it a lot harder for me to do. In fact the last time I tried it blew up on me, too old of a copy.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

grandalt posted:

Ah, this line of games. Nice. I have all these games, some of them floppy even. Never beat 5 myself. It being so different made it a lot harder for me to do. In fact the last time I tried it blew up on me, too old of a copy.

I remember enjoying 5, but I acknowledge it was because of rose-coloured glasses. After how dark 4 is, I was happy to be back in a colourful world, talking crap with all the old characters again. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up hating 5 when I get up to it.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Quest For Glory V is not bad at all. Unless you're going in as a certain class, anyway.

The only game in the series I never beat was IV; whether through lack of interest at the time, inability to figure out what to do with all the plot-related stuff I've been holding on to, or the bugs in the game actively stopping me from doing so I don't recall. The other games I've beaten as a Fighter (and II as a Thief.)

H13, are you going to play the VGA versions of I and II also, or just the EGA versions?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Snorb posted:

Quest For Glory V is not bad at all. Unless you're going in as a certain class, anyway.

The only game in the series I never beat was IV; whether through lack of interest at the time, inability to figure out what to do with all the plot-related stuff I've been holding on to, or the bugs in the game actively stopping me from doing so I don't recall. The other games I've beaten as a Fighter (and II as a Thief.)

H13, are you going to play the VGA versions of I and II also, or just the EGA versions?

Which class sucks for QFG V? I've only ever done it as a Paladin...

IV I couldn't beat because of all the bugs. When we get there, I'll be sure to point out all the bugs that happened. That game was the most soul-destroying game to me. Mostly because it has some of the best QFG moments in it (Tanya anybody?) but there were so many repeated crashes to the desktop that I couldn't deal with it :(

I'm going to try a speedrun of QFG1 VGA as a bonus video. I'm not going to do the fan remake of #2 because I'm not a fan of it.

Truth be told, I don't really like the remakes. I prefer the originals.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

H13 posted:

Mostly because it has some of the best QFG moments in it (Tanya anybody?)

QFG4 has all of the best QFG moments in it, and all of them are everything John Rhys-Davies narrates. Even the little incidentals like "That didn't do anything useful!" are just so damned atmospheric.

I remember having QFG1 first time around on the Amiga, and I was hooked. Unfortunately I was rubbish at the game so it took me about 2 months of in-game time to finish, when if you know what you're doing you can whistle through the plot in about a week.

Have you tried playing Heroine's Quest? I think it's still free on Steam.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Never played the QFG games, I played Police and Space quest through though, look forward to seeing the rest of the games. The Sierra humour and style never really ages.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

inflatablefish posted:

QFG4 has all of the best QFG moments in it, and all of them are everything John Rhys-Davies narrates. Even the little incidentals like "That didn't do anything useful!" are just so damned atmospheric.

I remember having QFG1 first time around on the Amiga, and I was hooked. Unfortunately I was rubbish at the game so it took me about 2 months of in-game time to finish, when if you know what you're doing you can whistle through the plot in about a week.

Have you tried playing Heroine's Quest? I think it's still free on Steam.

For the speedrun I have in mind, I reckon you could probably do it in 3 days of game-time. Don't quote me on it though! We'll have to see how we go :)

Never played Heroine's Quest. I'll have a look at it and it might be a bonus video sometime :)

Fanelien posted:

Never played the QFG games, I played Police and Space quest through though, look forward to seeing the rest of the games. The Sierra humour and style never really ages.

This game doesn't start off as particularly hilarious, but it gets so much worse later on. This has some of the worst of the worst Sierra jokes.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh hey! Glad to see this didn't just die on the vine after you put up your post in the sandcastle. I saw that the video had been taken down and wondered if you'd decided not to go forward with the LP.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well, I sure want to be a hero.

QfG5 has two major issues: first, the writing takes a noticeable hit compared to the previous incarnations, and second, practically half the content is guarded by time gates which effectively prevent you from doing and seeing everything unless you run around all of Silmaria throughout the entire first week and then between every single rite.

Still, I'm glad that the game exists. QfG5 is a lot like the third season of Star Trek the original series: the only reason it exists is because of fan demand and there's a step down in quality, but it's existence is redeemed by a few memorable moments we never would have seen if it wasn't around.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

Oh hey! Glad to see this didn't just die on the vine after you put up your post in the sandcastle. I saw that the video had been taken down and wondered if you'd decided not to go forward with the LP.

Cheers! I made a couple of changes, but the first game is good to go :)

quote:

Well, I sure want to be a hero.

QfG5 has two major issues: first, the writing takes a noticeable hit compared to the previous incarnations, and second, practically half the content is guarded by time gates which effectively prevent you from doing and seeing everything unless you run around all of Silmaria throughout the entire first week and then between every single rite.

Still, I'm glad that the game exists. QfG5 is a lot like the third season of Star Trek the original series: the only reason it exists is because of fan demand and there's a step down in quality, but it's existence is redeemed by a few memorable moments we never would have seen if it wasn't around.

Glad to see you here Bobbin :)

For the record, Bobbin did a great Screenshot LP of Quest For Glory. It's his usual high-standard of quality, so if you like what I'm doing, you should definitely check out his work.
http://lparchive.org/Quest-for-Glory-1-5/

I agree with what you say about QFG5. There is a ridiculous amount of fan service in there and considering that there's 4 years difference between the two, it does scream of: "We did this because the fans wanted us to." At the same time, I don't remember it being terrible, but definitely something only a fan of the series could love.

I remember with QFG5 that there were a lot of scenes that you can easily miss out on if you're not doing things in the right order, so I MIGHT look at a walkthrough for that, just to make sure we get all the good stuff. However, the game with the worst timing is QFG 2. By the time you've beaten the second elemental, you've pretty much done all the grinding that you need to, so you literally kill time until the next elemental turns up. The pacing of QFG2 I would argue is the worst, but it's still one of the better games in the series.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
This time make sure you get the eyes to pop out on the leopard girl, unlike lazy bobbin

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'll still stand by my opinion that 3 is worse than 5

Not that 3 is bad, it's actually fine.

My opinion is 4>2>1>5>3

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

QFG 3 is my favorite game in the series and I don't know exactly why.

Maybe because I liked the setting a lot. This entire series is goddamn gold, though.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Hurray! Quest for Glory LP!

That series has been one of my favorite. I mean, I say that a lot, but Quest for Glory is one of the few that actually wanted me to start doing an LP of it. It never really happened, mind you, but even now I still have that urge.

I've never played 5, even if I played and finished the buggy as hell 4 and 3. I think what I liked particularly about this series is really the choices you've got on how to handle situations. It's actually pretty impressive the amount of choices you DO have.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 6, 2015

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

mauman posted:

I'll still stand by my opinion that 3 is worse than 5

Not that 3 is bad, it's actually fine.

My opinion is 4>2>1>5>3

Night10194 posted:

QFG 3 is my favorite game in the series and I don't know exactly why.

Maybe because I liked the setting a lot. This entire series is goddamn gold, though.

QFG3 might be my favourite as well, but it's easy to see why it's so disliked. The story isn't as well-written as any of the others in the series and most of the game. Aside from 2 scenes, it doesn't really use the class system either.

They made QFG3 to bridge the gap between 2 and 4 as they felt the jump in character and setting was too harsh. But...QFG3 is a pretty bright and pleasant game so I don't think that worked either.

Despite all that...it's a drat enjoyable game.

Cosmic Afro posted:

I've never played 5, even if I played and finished the buggy as hell 4 and 3. I think what I liked particularly about this series is really the choices you've to on how to handle situations. It's actually pretty impressive the amount of choices you DO have.

I always felt like QFG stood head and shoulders above all the other quest games. I quite liked Police Quest and Space Quest, but could never get into King's Quest.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

H13 posted:

Which class sucks for QFG V? I've only ever done it as a Paladin...

The Paladin was the class that sucks. You pretty much play through QFG5 as a Fighter-But-With-Healing-Magic, except you're able to complete two quests non-Paladins can't. (You don't even get any alternate paladin-specific ways to complete the quests, it's all "fight to the death.")

And my opinion on the series is II > IV > V > I > III, but III being the last one there does not mean "Quest For Glory III was the worst Quest For Glory game." It means "Quest For Glory III was the least good Quest For Glory game." (And yes, there's a difference.)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Snorb posted:

The Paladin was the class that sucks. You pretty much play through QFG5 as a Fighter-But-With-Healing-Magic, except you're able to complete two quests non-Paladins can't. (You don't even get any alternate paladin-specific ways to complete the quests, it's all "fight to the death.")

And my opinion on the series is II > IV > V > I > III, but III being the last one there does not mean "Quest For Glory III was the worst Quest For Glory game." It means "Quest For Glory III was the least good Quest For Glory game." (And yes, there's a difference.)

The "Map" poo poo in 2 killed it for me. Can you explain WTF you are supposed to do even in the new remake with that? I know it was a copy protection thing at first, but even still WITH the map I had no idea what to do.

4 was the first game in the series I got as a kid and it blew my mind. I had played the Space Quest games, the first Police Quest, and Monkey Island, so I was used to absurdity in adventure games at the time. But to add in grinding skills and combat? I was in heaven! I then later tracked down the first and third games, and finally getting the fifth way late, but still have yet to even start the tournament/trials/whatever.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, as a heads up, for each game I'm going to do 1 KINDA "Raw" video which shows what it's like to play the game.

The next episode will have me getting lost in the forest a few times. I know watching somebody getting lost in a forest isn't the most entertaining thing, but it does give me an opportunity to talk about a few things.

I'm trying to capture what it's like to play these games. A big part of these games is getting lost and faffing about in the environment. To *always* edit it out wouldn't really be showing any of the QFG games justice.

However, after 1 video of: "See the environment? Isn't it cool? Are you sick of getting lost now? Yeah" I edit the gently caress out of the videos in the name of watchability :)

The first video of QFG 2 will be me struggling with that loving map and getting to the money changer. After that, you'll see the alleyways only for...one plot part ;). I will explain how to use the enclosed map though. GOG include it and when you print it in colour, it makes so much sense. I felt like a moron once I started using the colour version.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You guys know the map seller can provide you with perfectly valid (if slightly incoherent) directions to the money changer, right? The map isn't even copy protection if you just ask the obvious question.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You guys know the map seller can provide you with perfectly valid (if slightly incoherent) directions to the money changer, right? The map isn't even copy protection if you just ask the obvious question.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the 10 year old kid in me scream: "WHAT?!"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all!

Just a quick heads up. My Hard-Drive decided to kill itself. It looks like MOST of what's on it should be recoverable, but you'll have to wait one more day for the next update. It looks like it's just the boot sectors which are hosed so I should still be able to grab the next video and get it up on the weekend.

Hope your Friday night goes better than mine!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

H13 posted:

Hey all!

Just a quick heads up. My Hard-Drive decided to kill itself. It looks like MOST of what's on it should be recoverable, but you'll have to wait one more day for the next update. It looks like it's just the boot sectors which are hosed so I should still be able to grab the next video and get it up on the weekend.

Hope your Friday night goes better than mine!

And JAIDS claims another victim.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

And JAIDS claims another victim.

JAIDS?

UPDATE! I was able to restore the project files and all the movie files. All I need to do is re-convert the movie files and I should be able to export them and HOPEFULLY get Episode 2 up by tomorrow night :)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

H13 posted:

JAIDS?

UPDATE! I was able to restore the project files and all the movie files. All I need to do is re-convert the movie files and I should be able to export them and HOPEFULLY get Episode 2 up by tomorrow night :)

Jade Star is well known for losing computer after computer to the LP Curse, hence JAIDS.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Jade Star is well known for losing computer after computer to the LP Curse, hence JAIDS.

Well here's hoping that I got my AIDS cured after the first episode. Right?

Computer is completely up and running now, but the conversion is taking longer than I expected. I'll probably get things converted tonight, spend the day uploading the video to Youtube and will post the next update tomorrow night.

Thanks for your patience all! For the record: Microsoft support are actually pretty awesome.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

H13 posted:

For the record: Microsoft support are actually pretty awesome.

They've had a lot of practice.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

They've had a lot of practice.

Especially in regards to activating Windows by the sounds of things...

Episode is now getting rendered :). I'll upload it to Youtube tonight and hopefully punch it out tomorrow morning.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for your patience everybody!

Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmvJWztL6Q

This update is the longest of the first game. In each game I'm going to have 1 episode where I don't edit out all the faffing about and getting lost in the forest (that said, I do speed the footage up ;)). I'm trying to capture what it's like to play this game so for one episode, you'll see me getting lost in all of it's...erm...glory.

I get a lot done though. In this episode you will see:
- Everything that's in the forest
- First fights
- First break-in

Hope you enjoy! :)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I didn't notice anything that you clearly messed up, aside from a few things you didn't necessarily need to do that aren't going to hurt you in the long run. At least you didn't get the seed by cutting open the plant that had it - it works, but leads to a rather unique death scene later.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I didn't notice anything that you clearly messed up, aside from a few things you didn't necessarily need to do that aren't going to hurt you in the long run. At least you didn't get the seed by cutting open the plant that had it - it works, but leads to a rather unique death scene later.

The stuff up that I mentioned is actually a new discovery for me :). I didn't know it could happen and it's rather cool if inconvenient.

I'm actually keen to get feedback on that episode. While having 1 episode which shows the game "warts and all" is a decent idea, there's not much point if it's just painful to watch. Should I do episodes like that in the future or would people prefer it if I always chopped them up to make them more watchable?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
This LP would not be complete if the viewers didn't get the full Streets of Shapeir™ experience.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

This LP would not be complete if the viewers didn't get the full Streets of Shapeir™ experience.

That's exactly what I had in mind :). Truth be told, I"ve started playing QFGII and having a colour print-out of the map? It's actually pretty drat simple.

By the way, Bobbin said if you ask Ali for directions to the money changer, he tells you where to go. The directions you get would probably make perfect sense if you wrote them down, but otherwise they're incomprehensible.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

H13 posted:

The directions you get would probably make perfect sense if you wrote them down, but otherwise they're incomprehensible.

It's an old PC game, they're expecting you to write everything down.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

H13 posted:

I'm actually keen to get feedback on that episode. While having 1 episode which shows the game "warts and all" is a decent idea, there's not much point if it's just painful to watch. Should I do episodes like that in the future or would people prefer it if I always chopped them up to make them more watchable?

It's good to see the lay of the land somewhat, although I don't think an entire episode of not cutting out travel time will benefit some of the later games. The alleys in Shapeir have a couple of interesting things, but the trip to the money changer and back and then a look at the map will probably cover all the walking that's needed, aside from maybe the first trip to each new place. A dotted overlay on the map would be really neat, but is considerably more effort depending on what editing software you're using. The forests in Mordavia are similarly good to see for a bit but otherwise repetitive, and there's absolutely no point to showing travel in Tarna and Silmaria but once. You don't even NEED the dotted lines on a map for those.

H13 posted:

By the way, Bobbin said if you ask Ali for directions to the money changer, he tells you where to go. The directions you get would probably make perfect sense if you wrote them down, but otherwise they're incomprehensible.

That's Chico Marx for you. He talked about like that in the movies, too.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
You mention in the video that the flame spell isn't all that useful for combat. While that's generally true, as it turns out it wasn't really intended. Much like your stats and skills go up with use, your spells have individual levels and get better with usage. By and large, this is pretty irrelevant for most spells in the game. For example, I'm not sure it's possible to have Fetch ever fail to catch the seed from the spitting plants. For Flame Dart, however, raising your spell skill level makes it do more damage and makes the spell a lot more practical and useful. A Mage character who makes the effort to use the spell regularly in combat (rather than trying it a couple of times, seeing the relatively anemic damage, and ditching it) will have it pay off. A couple of other spells we haven't seen yet also benefit from extra spell skill, but not in a large or meaningful way.

In the later games that have time limits, it's a lot harder to manage raising spell skill levels and it doesn't really have an effect outside of combat magic - using Fetch as a puzzle solution always seems to work regardless of your skill level, so there's no reason (and no real opportunity) to grind it up.

This isn't true in the Mage's Maze, however - having high Spell Skill makes pretty much all your actions in the Mage's Maze minigame more effective in some way, and not only is it the Mage equivalent of the Goblin Training Ground, but it's the only practical way to grind up most of your spells.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Spells in combat are more cumbersome for Fighters anyway - I don't think the first game lets a fighter cast spells during combat at all (maybe the original version did, but the remake definitely didn't), and in the second game, you can only do it if you drop your shield before the fight starts, which means you can't block attacks and have to dodge. That's not a huge problem, but it's usually easier and faster for a fighter to stick with physical attacks. As a wizard or thief, building up your Magic in general and the attack spells specifically can be a big boost.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm not entirely sure if you can do it in QFG1, but you can bring up the SCI text parser during combat in QFG2 (mostly used for "cast flame dart," or "cast zap," or "run.")

The message you got for typing "look" during combat always made me laugh, even if I sucked at combat in the first two games.

Also regarding the map of Shapeir: I think I've actually memorized how to get to the moneychanger's booth just from doing it that many times.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

H13 posted:

That's exactly what I had in mind :). Truth be told, I"ve started playing QFGII and having a colour print-out of the map? It's actually pretty drat simple.

It's the first left followed by the first four rights and a left. The secret is that once you work out what he's saying the directions are very easy to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's the first left followed by the first four rights and a left. The secret is that once you work out what he's saying the directions are very easy to remember.

:pwn:

Lemme just check the map...

Huh. You CAN get there that way. I always went from the Fountain Plaza. That IS ridiculously easy. Well I'll be damned.

Also: Those who've bothered to grind the hell out of flame dart, does it ever actually become more powerful than stabbing things in the face?

• Locked thread