Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who are the people who comment on news stories
goku
gently caress you
crisis actor aficionados
schizophrenic shut-ins who piss in jugs
disinfo!1111 false flag!111
grover norquist's dominatrix
ghosts
a bunch of loving aliens messing with us
:iiam:
:jackbud::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:
View Results

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
this is something that has interested me in some time. comments posted in the comments sections of various news sites (yahoo, CNN, fox) are often very hyperbolic and unhinged; complaining about the president doing this or "obummer" doing that, other times complaining about minorities and immigrants.

they also respond to one another, which is kind of amusing.

this is what i'm talking about :

i screencapped that from the comments section of something relatively uncontroversial, namely funding for combating the zika virus and yet everyone is all pissbaby about it because obama did it.

what are your thoughts on these people, gbs? are they a bunch of loving shut-in hicks, misunderstood political philosophers, some hoary old motherfuckers getting their rocks off or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Poor souls who never found their credit cards to post on SA instead

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
the Dr easily and swiftly claims the 3rid post of this thread

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
they are the silent majority op

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Poor souls who never found their credit cards to post on SA instead

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
All of them are ken m

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

the great deceiver posted:

they are the silent majority op

This is the problem, they are pretty vocal online.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Do CNN still read the comments off their website on their news?

I saw CNN do that before. Just read the comments, like they'd used to ask people on the street, and then they'd talk about what it meant and why The Public feels this way.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

They're old people

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

And hoary

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Rene chang

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The real fun is in your local news affiliates' comment sections. Go check now for your area - Your neighbors are all abhorrent sociopaths.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ken M

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i miss reading "obongo". that one was unironically funny

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ken M is the best commenter and I wish they were all like him

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Part of me enjoys reading comment sections. As the OP said you will find the craziest most hysterical, completely unprovoked and unhinged nonsense there. It could be an article about gardening tools and some guy will start going on about how Obama and the Jews are destroying the world.

A few of them are foreign trolls(some that actually get paid to troll American websites and spread propaganda and conspiracies). Some are just regular trolls.

Most of them are your parents and grandparents. Who would probably never admit to posting in a comment section.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
stay at home mom at self employed

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are our brothers, our sisters, our mothers, our sons, our kinda hot stepsistes, our butchers, our bakers, our candlestick makers, our gay, our youth, our dead, our robots, our pizza. They are us op. :staredog:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

they are real americans, working day in/out to make this country function. how dare you.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lol

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
When our main local newspaper first opened its comments section about 6 years ago and didn't require any authentication, there was one person who commented non-stop on every article, complete with the random capitalization and illogical arguments you'd expect. They had a bizarre username, and quickly became infamous to a disturbingly large percentage of our population, who would joke about what this user thought on such-and-such a topic.

Then I noticed that whenever my boss in local government was mentioned in an article, the user would go on particularly psychotic rants, alleging all kinds of misconduct, but with a great deal of specificity and with some information not available to the general public. Slowly I started to put it together that this person was involved in a long-term case I was handling, who had been slowly going insane over the last decade. Their username was a combination of the two places they lived, and in comparing the emails I received from them to the website comments, everything matched up. I called them out on it, and it shut them up for awhile, and then the newspaper wised up and required FB authentication to comment. All comments slowed to a crawl initially, until people figured out how to create throwaway FB accounts. This person, though, was just like 'gently caress it' and started using their real name and went whole hog on the comments again and hasn't quit since.

They're living entirely off government subsidy and should probably be committed to a mental institution due to some sort of degenerative dementia (which you could track via the emails received by our division over the years). This is who posts in the comments section of news stories.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Lecher Rene Chang

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
More ken m please

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

He flowed like the water

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Red Suit posted:

More ken m please

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
My cousin does that so I'd say they're really stupid and angry people who want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Tommah posted:

Lecher Rene Chang

I am not a news site commenter so I cannot comment

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think unemployed racists are the folks the like to comment on news sites.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like ken m

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Oh I thought you meant physical news papers where you could reply to articles and they might publish your thoughts.

I was going to say lawyers and old people with opinions / experience.

NO you meant internet.

Those are deeply troubled nutjobs.

hazyrazor
Apr 10, 2006
Could out fury the president
normal ppl just acknowledge writing poo poo on the internet is for weirdos and losers

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lol

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Kuato easily claims last post

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

That Robot posted:

what are your thoughts on these people, gbs? are they a bunch of loving shut-in hicks, misunderstood political philosophers, some hoary old motherfuckers getting their rocks off or something else?

they're the people too dumb for /pol/, op

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

realbez posted:

I like ken m

This thread produced a gem from the most unlikely place.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

hazyrazor posted:

normal ppl just acknowledge writing poo poo on the internet is for weirdos and losers

A lot of the most incomprehensible messages are being made by normal people who have Internet access. People who don't spend much time talking online usually speak in fragmented sentences, all caps, etc.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Isn't Ken M. like a somewhat notorious troll who posts these kind of comments everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
i sure do love a good checkbox poll

• Locked thread