Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
on"

No jokes here

Important people are hiding their money illegally and also this money is being used to do bad things around the world

Entire story just end up :siren:Pro-click ---> http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/en/

Scale of the leak.

quote:

The 12 heads of state are:

Mauricio Macri, president or Argentina.

Bidzina Ivanishvill. ex PM of Georgia

Sigmundur something something, PM of Iceland.

Ayad H. Allawi, ex PM of Iraq.

Ali Abu-Ragheb, ex PM of Jordan.

Hamad Jasim J.M. Al-Thani, ex PM of Qatar.

Sheik Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar.

HRH Prince Salman, King of Saudi Arabia

Ahmad Al-Nirghani, ex-president of Sudan

Sultan Al-Nahyan, president of the UAE.

Pavlo Lazarenko, ex-PM of Ukraine.

Petro Poroshenko, president of Ukraine.

Update of /u/AsshatVik

Mohammed VI of Morocco might also be involved. Mossack Fonseca created the company to which his personal yatch is registered.

Family members of Ilham Aliyev, president of Azerbajan also used Fonseca to manage mining and real estate investments.

8 High echelon communist party members of People's Republic of China also used their services. Xi Jinping is amongst them, who's linked to two businesses in the British Virgin Islands.

5 minutes youtube video explaining it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6XnH_OnpO0

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah ok op but what can I do with this information.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
someone leaked the Panema Papers are you loving serious holy crap

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I want an offshore shell company now that I know it's this cheap and easy.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
this. changes. EVERYTHING.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The biggest leak in my house just went live, and it's about something you will never guess

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just read about this, was blown away

by how German Media just gave away the story to other news agencies

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What celebrities were involved and will have ruined their careers?

What kind of documents were leaked anyway? Emails? Were they all on one gigantic breached server or something?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Just read about this, was blown away

by how German Media just gave away the story to other news agencies

If the Germans had won WWII we'd be in a Deux Exian utopic future by now

Also we'd be able to read Rilke

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is potentially interesting, but who cares until names and details are provided? thats gonna take a while.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Iceland's PM got surprised by questions about it today and looked like a big guilty fukboi as he slinked away

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/iceland-pm-calls-snap-election-offshore-revelations

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

that is potentially interesting, but who cares until names and details are provided? thats gonna take a while.

Literally one click away from the front page you lazy illiterate oaf

Clicking any portrait leads you to a page that looks like this

which features allegations, responses (if any), a graphical web showing connections, etc

raton fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 4, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Jackie Chan and football star Messi are two celebrities involved

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What celebrities were involved and will have ruined their careers?

What kind of documents were leaked anyway? Emails? Were they all on one gigantic breached server or something?

So far a soccer player who is apparently already mired in financial scandal and Jackie Chan

They just have numbers and names right now, no emails. Jackie Chan owns 6 companies.

Aug 4, 2010

wonder what the life of the guy who leaked all these documents is like, probably something like a real life The Net (1995) staring Sandra Bullock

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Iceland has jailed over 30 bankers recently, I woner what will happen to the PM now

quote:

Iceland’s prime minister, one of several major politicians with alleged links to secret “shell” companies, was expected to face calls for a snap election, Britain’s Guardian reported.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Can somebody sum up why this is a big deal for me because I don't know anything.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That's a really bad drawing of David Cameron. Why is his face so square?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dog buttz posted:

Can somebody sum up why this is a big deal for me because I don't know anything.

Conclusive documentation showing how the ruling elite of a huge number of second tier countries hosed over the poor and often their own citizens so they could gently caress white whores in NY and Paris and eat human flesh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some time ago the Icelandic government received an invitation to buy some records about tax evasion by Icelandic businesses and individuals. They were very hesitant but kept stressing that tax evasion was a really bad and immoral thing that they cared deeply about but eventually decided not to buy the files saying that it wouldn't be right to buy what was probably stolen data which led to rumors about them having something to hide.

Turns out that was completly right. The finance minister and the minister of the interior also have their own off-shore tax evasion companies.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
OP please put this link in the OP so that stupid loving goons don't keep coming in here going HURR HURR IDGI

https://panamapapers.icij.org/video/

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Iceland's PM got surprised by questions about it today and looked like a big guilty fukboi as he slinked away

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/iceland-pm-calls-snap-election-offshore-revelations

That is classic. He gets up and starts walking around the room he's so goddamn nervous.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

That's.... random. What's next, Michael Cain owns JNCO jeans of Ireland? Vanilla Ice was behind the Coleco Chameleon?

Supposedly the leak was so big that they haven't been able to even pour through it yet. I can't wait to see what gets uncovered the next few days. :munch:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dog buttz posted:

If you think it's important to know that people you already thought were corrupt shitheads have money that isn't being properly taxed at home (with the implication that it will be properly taxed at home despite the major accountancy firms like EY, PWC, KPMG, and Deloitte having a complete stranglehold over the western auditing system and its regulation), you can now know, at least as far as one specific firm goes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess i was hoping for someone relevant to the us. like, who could possibly give a gently caress about putin's friends being involved? the man himself was smart enough to use intermediaries, and im guessing that will be true for any other big names.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That's.... random. What's next, Michael Cain owns JNCO jeans of Ireland? Vanilla Ice was behind the Coleco Chameleon?

Supposedly the leak was so big that they haven't been able to even pour through it yet. I can't wait to see what gets uncovered the next few days. :munch:

400 journalists have been working on this for the past 12 months.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

That's a really bad drawing of David Cameron. Why is his face so square?

The ex prime minister of Iran looks like Ron Paul in his drawing.

Also why wasn't Jackie Chan part of that drawing.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
This is incredibly underwhelming.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
op good job making a news thread with no jokes that is actually interesting even though all you did was just link something

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

400 journalists have been working on this for the past 12 months.

Was everything gone through already? What format were these files given to the journalists in? 2tb isn't that gigantic, but if that's text only that's gotta be a billion emails to go through.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
I don't care OP

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the movie about this is going to be pretty good

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
is this "breaking news" literally "high ranking officials are corrupt and make money at the expense of 3rd world countries"?

s0j
May 17, 2003

get fucked, round-eye
holy poo poo it turns out countries in central asia and africa are non-functioning kleptocracies thanks for this eye opening piece of journalism op

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

i guess i was hoping for someone relevant to the us. like, who could possibly give a gently caress about putin's friends being involved? the man himself was smart enough to use intermediaries, and im guessing that will be true for any other big names.

Jesus Christ

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
No American politicians on there? Pshhhhh... don't care.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
we did it reddit

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

PBS Newshour posted:

op good job making a news thread with no jokes that is actually interesting even though all you did was just link something

Thanks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

s0j posted:

holy poo poo it turns out countries in central asia and africa are non-functioning kleptocracies thanks for this eye opening piece of journalism op

Also Jackie Chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Was not expecting so much orphan rape and pedophilia in that.

• Locked thread