Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Real Lives 2007

Real Lives is a game where you play as a person who can be born anywhere, in various socioeconomic or racial situations. In theory this is great, and helps widen your perspectives. In reality, you get born in Namibia and die a horrible death extremely quickly. There is a version of this game from 2010 but it hardly works and I'm not going to install a copy of Windows XP for people's enjoyments. Let's get started.

We were born in Orange, California. According to google this is next to Anaheim, CA, which is near Los Angeles, for you non-American goons. Our name is Isabel Luna. That's a special name. The odds of being born in the US are 1-32, so we're off to a good start.

We sit at the average income line in the United States. We make 86K a year. However, this game, intent on shaming you, shows that you are freaking loaded compared to the rest of the world. For bonus points, we don't speak English, we speak Spanish. We appear to be of Latino origin, and are Roman Catholics. The stats on the side will improve or degrade over time, depending on what happens to us. Let's advance the clock a few years.

A year in, and dad got cured of his peptic ulcer I didn't know he had! Congrats dad! Also my sister has measles :stonk:.

There was a big fire this year too, rip a lot of people! Also, we have a brother, Ernesto.

I am 3, and I have measles. God dammit Cristina! :mad:

I am now 6! We've begun school!

It's finally decision time thread! :siren::siren:I will stop the game for decisions (unless they are super mundane). This is a test run.

A-Increase our study time and make less friends/have less fun
OR
B-Not change our study time and have more friends and fun

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A
First Hispanic president here we come.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
B. With an intelligence of 16 we ain't really the book learnin' type.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A . I don't want to end up as a computer janitor or saleswoman at Sears or whatever. I want to be an astronaut!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
A, I'm sure our hard work will pay off and this will not be a horribly depressing reminder of how much being poor sucks.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'll start working the next part at 7. Expect bigger decisions to have way more time in between them.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

A few years pass and we are now 9.

:doh: I select "yes" again. Hopefully this will help little Isabela learn a little bit more. In the meanwhile, I just keep selecting "yes" every year to studying more.

Half a decade passes, and we meet a boy. Jose Sanchez is apparently very alluring!

For comparison, these are our stats. While we get older, let's give a breakdown on these stats. Most are self explanatory, but I'll explain a few.

Appearance is rating your physical appearance. Supposedly, higher appearance can help you land folks out of our league. Isabela is...apparently not the prettiest girl at the ball. Conscience is how we feel. Random events can increase or drop them, and it tends to be intrinsically related to happiness. Wisdom just increases with age, and is linked to conscience. I consider this a minor exchange, since we're only 14, and that's no time to stop the game.

Isabela takes a chance on Jose! How will young love-Oh. Poor Isabela. This happens four more times this year and no guys bite. Isabela is not having a great time.

Not much has happened, Isabela's mom, Elena got diabetes when Isabela turned 17, and Isabela graduated from HS when she was 18. Good for her :D

Welp. Isabela doesn't have too much in the brains department no matter how hard we tried. This is not good. I didn't cap a screenshot, but Isabela got peer pressured into smoking and drinking shortly after failing to get accepted into college. This is going to be a happy LP.

Wow Isabela, what a catch! Now that we are 18, we have a tough decision to make. I will let quite a few votes go, and I want arguing!

Apply for college again. This is an expensive option, but maybe through intensive studying, we can make it into college and change our course. If we repeatedly fail we could bankrupt our family.
Belay college and go for vocational school. A cheaper option, and maybe we could learn some good skills for certain jobs if we get accepted in properly.
Cop out and enter the job force. Should we do this, we're basically doomed for the rest of the LP, but we are getting our family money that they need. Maybe if we pick this option we could rearm and reload for a college push later in life.

Here are our stats at age 18

if you have any questions, feel free to ask

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A one time and then B

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Belay college; Isabel isn't very bright but she's strong and athletic so vocational might get her a decent skilled labor job. Besides, she already smokes like a chimney and drinks like a fish.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mcclay posted:

A one time and then B

This.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Last call. I'll have another post tomorrow.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
B

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
B

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
B

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

B wins.

:doh: I've set Isabel to study as much as possible. In the mean time we've accepted the highest paying job there is.

Manufacturing laborer. We're making 12K a year for our family, which bolsters our income, but eventually we will have to move out.

Our boyfriend Ramiro evidently isn't doing too hot either.

Oh no.

We're 20 years old. Despite his academic probation and his drug use, we still really love him.

Accept the marriage
Belie and reject the marriage

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
B. I don't want to end up as the sad girlfriend in a Spike Lee movie. :smith:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Literally had so many nights playing this "game" in high school with my stupid friends. I'll never forget the tale of "Ding Dong" which was a real, auto generated name. He was the most handsome man in all of China, became a super model, and then died alone and sad on Madagascar from Malaria after his wife divorced him.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I'm assuming there were a zillion other fires that you just didn't make mention of, because Southern Californians call Summer "Fire Season" for good reason.

And hey! I'm from Riverside, which is right next to Orange County! My favorite thing to do when visiting was just drive by all of the genetically tested on orange groves because I love fruit trees.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Charlett posted:

I'm assuming there were a zillion other fires that you just didn't make mention of, because Southern Californians call Summer "Fire Season" for good reason.

And hey! I'm from Riverside, which is right next to Orange County! My favorite thing to do when visiting was just drive by all of the genetically tested on orange groves because I love fruit trees.

Actually there hasn't, the only things I've neglected to copy paste have been the "oh hey this is what its like to live in the US" facts. One time I was born in Bangladesh and had literally 18 floods in 18 years.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Last call.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 13, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

A, true love cannot be denied

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
A, because I'm morbidly curious as to how bad this can get.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
B, as I want all the best for our Isabel.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

B.

Never get married.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A, because I want to feel happy that I at least did not marry a drug user.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I'm voting A myself just for being polarizing's sake.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

A wins.

Well good for us, we're engaged, and now married to Ramiro!

We move out on our own, we live, at best, below the poverty line. If Ramiro can pull through, we might have a chance.

Well that's loving depressing. Poor Ernesto. Our family does not live a great life.

By age 21 we managed to kick our habit after 3 years. We should consider ourselves lucky. We still drink quite a bit though.

We are now qualified enough to work as a sales person. This is a thousand dollars more than we made earlier. Granted, that's not saying much, but any more money can help. Hopefully Ramiro can graduate on time.

Oh my God, Ramiro. :doh:

Age 22, and our life gets more depressing. Pull through mama :(

Yay, same year! Must have been caught early.

:toot: We did it, goons! Ramiro is a college grad with a degree in chemistry.

:stare: Oh...okay then! Sweet!

:mad: The game didn't even tell me that Isabel was pregnant! Can I get some warning on this poo poo please?

Since this child is of miracle birth, I might as well name him Jesus.

:woop: yay! Ramiro did it!

Okay...it was a start! C'mon Ramiro!

:colbert: Being 27 sucks.

Being 27 sucks even more. C'mon mama!

We lost our mom at age 28. She was only 59. :(

Ernesto couldn't handle his mothers death and committed suicide. Our little brother has died.

The only bright side at 28 was our husband Ramiro making it through grad school. He is now a fully licensed chemist.

At age 30, our house is robbed.

We only had 60,000 dollars to our name. Now we only have 10K. Despite it all, Ramiro's rear end won't get a job.
I didn’t cap a screenshot since I went on autopilot, but once again we had a child and it didn’t give me any options. We named him Alejandro.

Following the threads advice, I tried again after Isabel had spent nearly 12 years studying. It has paid off. We’re in college! What degree should we pick?

Pick whatever you want guys. We did it!

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 13, 2016

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Pick whatever you want guys. We did it!

Let's do something useful with our life.

Any of those: French, German, Music, Religion, Art, History, Literature

Edit: To fit our skillset better: Physics, Engineering, Mathematics.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 13, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Can we get a shot of our stats? It might be helpful for deciding on a field.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Grizzwold posted:

Can we get a shot of our stats? It might be helpful for deciding on a field.

:doh:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know you don't need to timg the small screenshots, right?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Cool, thanks. Given that we're not too brainy I'm gonna go with either of Art or Music.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Accounting

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
What's our health currently? Last time you posted it we were only 20 and were already down to 42 health. Now with diabetes, I don't think we're long for this world.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Religion

Also wow that's a rough couple of years.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
she's more artsy than anything so my vote goes to Art

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

After supporting Ramiro through his college courses he can support us while we pursuit art!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 14, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

What's our health currently? Last time you posted it we were only 20 and were already down to 42 health. Now with diabetes, I don't think we're long for this world.

67 health. Former smoker is a big drag on health but since we have some money and healthcare we might be alright

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Wow, she's still surprisingly happy despite all the poo poo going down in her life.

But maybe because she's very excited about starting her degree in ART!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'd say Art too.

Pleasantly surprised that Ramiro held it together long enough to graduate AND give up drugs. I knew true love was the key to happiness!

• Locked thread