Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
bertha is a classic name that was used without any associated baggage until about the early part of the twentieth century

and then you guess what happened? it started to get associated with huge gasbag people and "big bertha"

there's like some arcade ball game i saw a few times at arcades with the most stereotypical huge lady drawn into the game cabinet

the object of the game was to get all the balls into big bertha's mouth

anyway, what caused this? its like a way more annoying yet far less stigmatizing version of what people named "isis" are dealing with now, except instead of being associated with lunatics, you're associated with being loving fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I got shouted down in the maternity ward when I tried to name my second daughter "Brunhilda" so I know exactly what you mean, OP.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They wouldn't let me name her "Marceline" either. (They=my wife, my mom, and the attending nurses).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Some people just hate super rad names I guess.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The Kaiser got his rear end beat in.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bertha_%28howitzer%29

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Marceline sounds kind of cool. Way better than Brunhilde.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

At first glance I agree it seems that way but actually Brunhilda is the superior name.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

wikipedia posted:

Big Bertha (German: Dicke Bertha)—literal translation "Fat (or heavy) Bertha"—is the name of a type of super-heavy howitzer developed by the armaments manufacturer Krupp in Germany on the eve of World War I.

:eyepop:

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The Great Big Bertha driver is okay. I tend to lose shots to the right with it, dunno why.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

At first glance I agree it seems that way but actually Brunhilda is the superior name.

Well have fun visiting your daughter and her wife at their commune.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
A rich southern heiress from somewhere near houston and back in the day was named Ima Hogg. She was actually pretty baller apparently and a lot of charitable associations have slapped her name on poo poo cuz of all the money she gave out. But goddamn that goes beyond a little bit of parental fuckery right into "why do you hate your daughter?" territory.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I think it's time for "Adolf" to come back too

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Well have fun visiting your daughter and her wife at their commune.

No way! Brunhilde isn't some lesbian communist name its a strong Teutonic name. She'd grow up to be a woman boxer or a roller derby chick.

Anyway we didn't end up naming her Brunhilde or Marceline or Xena or Diana Prince or even Samus Aran so I didn't get any names from my feminist role model list.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Gertrude is an A+ name too, shortened version is Gertie. Not much worse than contemporary Skyler/Jayden/Espin type names IMO

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Ruined by peewees big adventure

Oh wait that was large marge

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Sorry for ruining your mom's good name, OP.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Better give that name a wide bertha

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Probably a bastardized version of Behrtah, which is heroic as gently caress, and defends my Aryan heritage

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Too many clever people saying Bert...ha! turned them all into dykes so they never had another kid to name Bertha. Honest answer OP I took AP US History.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

My name is bertha and i dock a lot of semen

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

My name is brunhilda and i am

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Her name was bertha

Bertha butt

She was one of the butt sisters

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Dicke Bertha

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
President Obama was born in AMERICA. He is an AMERICAN CITIZEN.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Names like that are reserved for the children of asian immigrants these days. Seems like all them are choosing names for their kids from a baby-names book published in 1937.

"Our twins were born in this year 2016! What shall we name them?"
"I've got it honey; Eunice and Ferdinand!"

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
A girl called Bertha is destined to be a fatty boom boom

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why not Genniffehr or Skailhar

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Colonel Cancer posted:

Jennifer is normal. My sister is named Lovisa. That name is so aryan and germanic you american fuckers cant even pronounce it right. It turns into 'Leur-vitz-ah?'

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

There's a huge broken drill in Seattle called Bertha

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Marceline is the name you give to french orphans.

cnut
May 3, 2016

donkey salami posted:

Her name was bertha

Bertha butt

She was one of the butt sisters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV6paTXyCU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asRWwMyXUak

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My Grandpa tried to name my aunt Bertha, but got vetoed. Then he went from broke trying to name my mom Griselda. A few of my other aunts almost had dumb names too, I just don't remember them ATM

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Names like that are reserved for the children of asian immigrants these days. Seems like all them are choosing names for their kids from a baby-names book published in 1937.

"Our twins were born in this year 2016! What shall we name them?"
"I've got it honey; Eunice and Ferdinand!"

It's the truth! I always know when one of my wife's new friends is asian because she says "You should meet helen/janet/lucy". Ain't nobody our age with those kinds of names that ain't asian. There just ain't.

If I moved to China or something and picked a new name, I'd probably choose the Chinese equivalent of something dumb like "Roderick" because I didn't know better.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Colonel Cancer posted:

'gina fur

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

She's not doing too good these days OP:

(you mentioned it and it really needed to be posted)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Bundle of Keys posted:

Marceline is the name you give to french orphans.

lol

i like it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What happened to the name murgatroyd?

• Locked thread