Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
It's better than nothing: Let's Play Mighty No. 9
Alternate thread title: Four Million Dollars and Four Years Later: Let's Play Mighty Number 9!

What is this game?
Well person who has lived under a rock for the last five years. This game is the spiritual successor to Mega Man Classic, much like Foosball is the spiritual successor to Football.
But still this game is getting a lot of hate, most of it is actually well deserved. I'm here to tell you though this game is just aggressively mediocre. Which is the sad part, you'd think due to all the delays they'd have spent all that time and money (4million) polishing up this product. But no, it looks like a fan made title that 3 people took 6 months to make. There's plenty wrong with this game and you'll see EVERYTHING.

Gamergate
There's been a lot of controversy with this game, and honestly if anyone brings up gamergate, it will not be tolerated in this thread. I don't care if you're for/against it. I don't really want this thread to be the shitlord's pissing contest between nerds. We're here to make fun of the game not start a shitpost war.

Backers/Kickstarters
Man! What kind of idiot would have possibly backed this kind of project... Me... I did, 175 dollars worth too you shithead. I've accepted this loss of both my innocence and money. Don't need to rub it in. We should instead be thoughtful and realize that sometimes kickstarters aren't really what we thought they were. That we shouldn't really get swept up in the hype. If someone promises something it doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get exactly what they've stated or what we expect.

Format
This is meant to be a FUN AND CASUAL Let's Play with random Co-commentators. We'll talk about this game as well as kickstarters that the co-commentators are looking forward to or have already come out. It's best to give these things exposure that they deserve after all. Just try to take everything with a bit of salt.

With this being a casual let's play, trying to get co-commentators, it won't be updated on a regular schedule. Heck just finding people wanting to comment over this will be a challenge but we'll do with what we got.

Pre-Released ingame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M

Videos
Part One: It is the Present Year

Part Two: BUUUUURRRNN! With Wayne

Part Three: PEW PEW PEW With The Lesbiathan

Part Four: OUR DESTINY With Logical Fallacy

Part Five: Taking him down With Combat Lobster

Part Six: Another Preditor With NGDBSS
Ray's Pre Battle Cutscene

Part Seven: A Cut Above the Rest With Heavy Sigh

Part Eight: Are you in Zzzzain? With Evil Mastermind

Part Nine: Robot Abe Lincoln With KalonZombie

Part Ten: Fair and Balanced News With Derek Barona

Part Eleven: Jump Jump Ju-grabbing-holding With The Great Joe

Part Twelve: There's no clever comment for this level With Feather

Part gently caress this loving game With Scruffo

Zain fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Zain posted:

Kickstarter Spotlight

Heart Forth, Alicia

The Original Kickstarter Page.

Funds made: $232,365 pledged of $60,000 goal

This one seemed to have come out of nowhere. With virtually no Pedigree to speak of the game really did crush its funding goal. It promises to bring life into the Metroidvania style gameplay with "Huge expansive worlds of Zelda," and "An epic story like Xenogears". Very bold claims for sure, but judging from some of the videos and storylines they've posted, doesn't seem too far off. It's also sporting very colorful and beautiful pixel graphics which is always a huge plus for me. This game is definitely showing promise and with weekly streams and updates it looks like this can go places.

Zain posted:

Prey for the Gods

Prey for the Gods Facebook
Prey for the Gods Kickstarter
16 days to go
Funds raised $255,910 pledged of $300,000 goal

Just as we covered in the Might No 4 video, this game is heavily inspired by Shadows of the Colossus. Probably the first thing that really stood out for me was the musical score they had in the trailer. God it's so enchanting and melodic. They're calling it an "Action Survival" game, which I guess means we're going to have to do more than just hunt "the very gods you worship". Honestly this sounds like an extremely ambitious project to say the least. The founding goal seems modest considering everything they're doing. From having a vast open world, to completely dynamic weather; it honestly seems like this developer LOVES this idea.

Much like most indie developers No Matter Studios is a new gaming studio. They are comprised of three veteran game developers with approximately 30+ years of combined experience.

Those names include:
Brian Parnell- Who was an artist on the Titans Quest Series and had a hand in Dawn of War: Soulstorm

Tim Wiese- Honestly I can't find much on him outside of "He used to do environmental art and is now a programmer too."

Hung-Chien Liao- Another programmer who is "Very busy". Again not much is known about him, but I guess he's had a hand in the industry too.

The Pedigree seems good, and what they've shown in the game is absolutely outstanding.

Fanart and other stuff.

Y-Hat posted:

Speaking of money, I'm just gonna leave this here.

Grimwit posted:

Zain, I feel your disappointment and hope this Let's Play will give you time to heal.

Here, I drew you a picture to cheer you up.

monster on a stick posted:

That's more like it!

Zain fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 20, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hoo boy, this is gonna be something all right. Looking forward to seeing how bad it gets, because the previews I saw make it look incredibly unflattering.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"It is the present year" is already one of the worst opening lines of any game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Artix posted:

Hoo boy, this is gonna be something all right. Looking forward to seeing how bad it gets, because the previews I saw make it look incredibly unflattering.

Once you see the level design and the boss design... Actually Mighty No 1 is probably one of the worst offenders of bad design.

gschmidl posted:

"It is the present year" is already one of the worst opening lines of any game.

Right? Holy poo poo you could have not hired a writer that graduated from the 4th grade?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Zain posted:

Once you see the level design and the boss design... Actually Mighty No 1 is probably one of the worst offenders of bad design.

You mistyped Mighty No 7 there. I have this on my PS3...and 40$ in it...oh my loving god. One's stage is less offensive to me than seven's...fuuuuuuck that stage. gently caress 8's stage too. 8's stage, as far as I can tell, only has a checkpoint...before you actually fight him. Good luck getting there because of those WONDERFUL instant-death wires he places all over after a while.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Some of the character models move in really gangly ways, as if this game was a claymation production made by some lesser studio. It's...distracting.

My suspicion on this game is that, like a number of other projects we've seen mentioned on this forum, the whole endeavor really could have used editorial oversight that was both willing and able to critique it in necessary ways. It's not the outright dumpster fire that you'd see in White Knight Chronicles, Other M, or (holy poo poo this puts other dumpster fires to shame) 3rd Birthday. But still, we can all make some guesses as to how this could have been better if only someone were there to say so.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I know it's not really the point, but the first thing that stands out to me is that the voice work is really loving lovely.

edit: actually the news anchor is pretty good.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The main character is horribly over-designed and looks a complete mess on-screen.

That is all.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I hold that Avi is the best character and will not be dissuaded from this opinion.

Other than that, I don't have a strong opinion on this game either way. I paid 40 bucks and I want my drat soundtrack, but other than that I'm sorta just glad it was finally loving released and now we can move on with our lives.

I'll volunteer for it if you need a guest at some point, Zain.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The knock-off Roll is named Call? That's great. Everything about this looks really bummy. Just visually it's not impressive. Gameplay wise it doesn't look that bad though. Maybe I have to play it to get it. Of all games in the series, it reminds me of Megaman ZX.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, this intro stage. Do they really keep blabbing all over the stages with that voice-acting that would even embarrass a 90s anime dub?

VVV: :vince:

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 26, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Geemer posted:

Wow, this intro stage. Do they really keep blabbing all over the stages with that voice-acting that would even embarrass a 90s anime dub?

All over the stages. They pretty much tried to take all of the anime found in later MM series like Legends and Battle Network and cram it all straight into MM1.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Having played the game to completion, it's alright. I was hoping for Mega Man X / Mega Man 2, we got Mega Man 5.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don't know if this game is the absolute worst from just the look I got here. I'm also watching a Let's Play of X7 and that is what I call a bad Megaman game.

Though Call's voice acting is oof. If it was purposefully robotic, that would be one think, but Beck doesn't talk like that.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
What happened to all the money

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
At least the plush toy is a serviceable plush toy. And the T-shirts are wearable. A few weeks ago, I was wearing one at Kroger and the guy at the butcher counter asked me how the game was. I said I'd tell him after it came out. I'm afraid to go back to Kroger now.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The lack of animations for the characters during cutscenes is really awkward and reminds me of something that would be produced during the PS1 era. I mean, seriously, what the hell happened to those $4 million? Hookers and blow?

I don't see Comcept surviving after this, or Inafune's career. Not with that backlash.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The character models look like the Wii avatars.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
My only experience with this game is what you have done but I already know that this is a bad game and I am looking forward to zzzzeeing you in pain, so much burning pain that you'll have to apply cold to your bruises :v:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 26, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This looks... bad. I mean, it takes a special kind of mindset to try to make a tribute to Megaman and completely miss how its art style works because of its simplicity. Overly elaborate designs just make it look stupid.

CherryDyne? Sounds like they specialize in sexbots.

edit: Credit where credit's due, Call definitely sounds like a robot. Not sure if intentional.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 26, 2016

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Nice to see this. I just finished this game and honestly it was just kind of a "meh". They definitely could have done better with Beck and Calls designs. Also I have to ask why didn't they do still drawn images for the pre-level talking. Doing the conversations in game and using the in game models for the menus just showed how bad the models they were using were. Also who else was creeped out by most of the characters mouths not moving. This game feels like it has no polish, like it should have been better at least in the presentation department. Honestly this game feels like it would have done much better with some one to reign in on some of the ideas or you know make sure there was some quality control.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I just want to know what was going through their brains that made them think that not animating the character's mouths would look... acceptable? Like, you don't need luxurious lip sync, you can just have a flappy two-frame mouth, you know, like NES games from many years ago. Or a flappy mouth with another frame for "oh" sounds and then it looks even better, right? The mouths are black spots, or lines. There's no conceivable reason why it would take longer than ten minutes. So who was it that said "no, don't make the mouths change, make them motionless - that looks good"? What did they do instead? I'm so excited that this piece of poo poo game finally came out!!

edit: ^^ Yeah, exactly, it looks so stupid it's almost unpleasant. It made me laugh the first time I saw it because who, who would have done this? Even games made by children end up with less unnatural ways of conveying speech.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hopeandjoy posted:

I don't know if this game is the absolute worst from just the look I got here. I'm also watching a Let's Play of X7 and that is what I call a bad Megaman game.

Though Call's voice acting is oof. If it was purposefully robotic, that would be one think, but Beck doesn't talk like that.

That would be because they are different types of Robots. Beck is more advanced and Human then Call.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
BEHOLD, THE END RESULT OF ALMOST 4 MILLION DOLLARS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'd heard it was horrible, but what the hell did I just watch?! :psyduck:

How is it that mediocre with that much of a budget?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

quote:

... I haven't beaten this game yet...

lol there's no rush to make a LP just so you can get the soapbox to poo poo on a bad game

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during one of production meetings for this game. Especially the one where they decided to prioritize voice acting over character animations.

Also I wouldn't mind jumping in on some co-commentary. I think the topic of Kickstarter games and how they turn out to be interesting.

You can find my contact information at the co-commentation station.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Credit where credit's due, Call definitely sounds like a robot. Not sure if intentional.

It most definitely is. Call is an older AI type, while Beck and the other Mighty Numbers are highly experimental AIs capable of thinking for themselves. As a result all the Mighty Numbers have a personality (for better or worse) while Call is basically "Beep boop will do things exactly within my parameters".

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

lol there's no rush to make a LP just so you can get the soapbox to poo poo on a bad game

Actually, I'm the one responsible. An LP of this was not in the plans until I told Zain to make an LP of this. At least to my knowledge.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

As in I haven't done the final stage. But hey, you know me. I totally just rush out LPs. Here's actually a hint. 90% of the games I've Lets Played. I've never beaten before let's playing them.

Besides it's about as much as this game deserves.

Zain fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 27, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Zain posted:

Besides it's about as much as this game deserves.

It's about as much as we got from Inafuking. 10$ says he pocketed at least 3 million and half-assed the game as best he could.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Its a shame I actually liked that they were heading in a more Megaman Zeroy direction with the gameplay but in the end it seems like they just ended up a worse version of Gunvolt with the dash not being as interesting a mechanic as Gunvolt's electricity.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
This game may be mediocre but it does have some good ideas in it somewhere.
I will admit I was disappointed with the lack of animation. especially with the Cherrydyne ceo cutscene, it kinda reminded me of Megaman Powered Up. But the t.v. cutscene in that was fully animated which is more than I can say about the one here. If anything Megaman Powered Up is a better game than this.
I have no idea where you got the laser from because I sure as hell didn't have that in my run of this game.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Yea its kind of funny how despite the drop in power Powered Up still manages to win in the visuals department I guess it just goes to show how important aesthetics and actual effort are to a game's looks.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I watched a play trough of this game and the "dash at the boss to hurt it" mechanic is one of the most stupidest design decisions in this game in my opinion. Looking forward to co-commentator shenanigans.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I guess for those that have already played or seen the game, or not that's cool too! Report in on which Mighty Number you'd like to comment on. 2 has already been claimed but that means 1 and 3-8 are still open.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
I might be playing devil's advocate initially in this post but I'm not, at worst I'm going "It's meh".
So one of the developers things that has lead to Keiji Meme-fune's existence is a thing I've seen where we lost the ability to transform into enemies due to "budget constraints" which yes, is quite bullshit but after I realized what that means I got less mad about it being cut. Apparently Beck was originally going to have the ability to steal mook powers...you know...like Axl- or what he probably meant to make it up as: the Zero Hand from Mega Man Zero 4 because that was a successful execution in his mind- but because Beck transforms we all know it's Axl.

On one hand I feel like it's a better idea to cut that out and focus on the game, because what probably caused a ton of delays is trying to just JAM IN everything in Mega Man that has been taken positively rather than Keep It Simple Stupid and getting the game out.

On the other hand it didn't actually lead to focusing more on development and making it less jank, and instead went into him trying to make more side projects before he even had an actual game loving produced and thought he could coast on namesake alone.

In short, even if "Better than Nothing" was misquoted (which it probably only was because Japanese homophones which means it couldn't have been that far off cause he still wasn't apologizing), cutting out a feature that was unnecessary anyways for budget, which you then threw at other poo poo when your main project wasn't done, is the dumbest level of development I can think of.

....In other news Shovel Knight is still good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TCat posted:

I might be playing devil's advocate initially in this post but I'm not, at worst I'm going "It's meh".

This. It's an indie game currently valued at $20 on Steam. Get it on a Steam sale. It's there, it's adequate. It's not worth 4 mil, but it doesn't kill babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

TCat posted:

In short, even if "Better than Nothing" was misquoted (which it probably only was because Japanese homophones which means it couldn't have been that far off cause he still wasn't apologizing), cutting out a feature that was unnecessary anyways for budget, which you then threw at other poo poo when your main project wasn't done, is the dumbest level of development I can think of.

That was actually just an aside thrown in by the translator, because for some reason he likes to translate and add his own comments seemlessly.

• Locked thread