Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA

Come and watch Elon Musk talk about how he wants SpaceX to get to Mars over the next decade.

The SpaceX Mars Architecture Discussion starts in 5 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1YxNYiyALg (stream)

The better dicsussion and questions & answers will be over at the spaceflight thread in the SAL subforum. Or join us in #spaceflight on irc.synirc.net

e:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
That Tesla + Solar City merger is going to go just fine and all the Wall Street analyst chicken littles are just unambitious stodges.

"Uhh gonna sue Elon this can't be allowed to happen!" cry about it more. Dude is the only billionaire doing some super cool space stuff.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Can't wait for us to colonize new planets, but due to realistic distances in space, our divergent evolution will result in new distinct species of humanity which can then war with each other among the stars...

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I can't wait for humans to meet alien life and then brutally subjugate it. Be like some Klingon warrior code assholes being dicks to us and we'll just smile and obliterate all your worlds with cloaked nukes and von Neumann machines and strip mine the remains.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

"Hello?" Elon Musk sat in his leather executive chair talking into his solar powered smartphone. His girlfriend was on the line again and it sounded like she was upset.
"Did you change your facebook status to "single" without breaking up with me?" she said.
Elon Musk sighed, "Listen this thing isn't working out, i think we need to take a break, permanently."
Elon Musk's girlfriend became audibly agitated, "But things were going so well!? Why?"
Elon Musk put on his expensive Ray-Ban sunglasses, and leaned back in his leather executive office chair, which cost over $1000 and had adjustable lumbar support.
"Sorry babe, I only want to gently caress guys in space and get pounded by Astronauts now. On mars."

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I for one am glad a guy is doing big dumb ambitious technology things with his piles of money.

The fact that silicon valley types are also enjoying it is a small price to pay.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Strategic Tea posted:

The fact that silicon valley types are also enjoying it is a small price to pay.

They hate it and poo poo talk Tesla and its shareholders all the time as just having faith rather than any solid investment rationale. It's pretty great.

Maybe because he's like "I wanna go to Mars" while they're all "I wanna disrupt bicycles."

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I am rooting for NASA's insane asteroid capture mission.

Elon Musk has some cool ideas and tons of money, but SpaceX is all over the place and getting too big for their britches. They should focus on one thing and do that thing really good. Like NASA and Mars robots.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Roylicious posted:

They hate it and poo poo talk Tesla and its shareholders all the time as just having faith rather than any solid investment rationale. It's pretty great.

Maybe because he's like "I wanna go to Mars" while they're all "I wanna disrupt bicycles."

:laffo: even better

We have a three point plan to democratise yogurt shopping by connecting users and content (yogurt) creators. What do you have rocket scientists?

e: Also "for the first time the rocket's performance will exceed the actual size of the rocket"

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

shoophobo posted:

Elon Musk has some cool ideas and tons of money, but SpaceX is all over the place and getting too big for their britches. They should focus on one thing and do that thing really good. Like NASA and Mars robots.

On the other hand, SpaceX is profitable right now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm very excited for this.

Step 1) Steal underpants.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 27, 2016

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Lol we're going to die on this rock. Which, honestly is a good thing. The rest of the universe hasn't done anything to deserve being contaminated by humans.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

skeletonotherkin posted:

Lol we're going to die on this rock. Which, honestly is a good thing. The rest of the universe hasn't done anything to deserve being contaminated by humans.

All the stars are Terran.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Libelous Slander posted:

Can't wait for us to colonize new planets, but due to realistic distances in space, our divergent evolution will result in new distinct species of humanity which can then war with each other among the stars...

I know this is unreasonably optimistic, but I hope we learn how to fully excise peaceful economic/cultural soft power instead of violence by the time we get far enough and diverge. Warfare has considerably dropped since 1945, at least, which is what makes me hopeful.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Roylicious posted:

Pfft, profit is for chumps, I'm gonna mainline everyone's web search data and become an information broker :downs: *is shot by james bond*

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Warfare has considerably dropped since 1945, at least, which is what makes me hopeful.

Pretty much only because we know we'd obliterate each other in nuclear fire if something like WW2 were to ever happen again.

Those blue aliens? The Navi or whatever? We're gonna rain asteroids down onto their world and afterwards we'll pretend like we didn't know they were there and it was all a big tragic mistake (while strip mining the planet).

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Elon Musk has so far fielded questions such as:

- Want to do a FunnyOrDie video about sending Michael Cera to Mars? We have millions of views on YouTube.
- Can I give you a kiss?
- Do you want to go to Mars?
- I brought a book for you, can I throw it on the stage?
- I went to Burning Man and it was a shithole, is Mars going to be a shithole?

Honor Stud For Rent
Sep 27, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't get enough of that Elon's musk. :razz:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
If you bang a dude alien is it gay? What if the alien ladies have the penis? I read a documentary called Space Tits and I don't know what's what in space. Does Mr. Musk have a plan for that?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: Elon is open to suggestions for the name of the first shuttle that goes to Mars :siren:

You know what to do goons.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Also he likes Kerbal Space Program which is a good game.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Roylicious posted:

Pretty much only because we know we'd obliterate each other in nuclear fire if something like WW2 were to ever happen again.

Those blue aliens? The Navi or whatever? We're gonna rain asteroids down onto their world and afterwards we'll pretend like we didn't know they were there and it was all a big tragic mistake (while strip mining the planet).

Dude I dunno. It genuinely seems like most people would be abhorred of that kind of behavior these days. I know it's the "wiser" and safer route to assume we're always terrible Hobbes-style, but I just got that hope, man.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Jive posted:

Elon Musk has so far fielded questions such as:

- Want to do a FunnyOrDie video about sending Michael Cera to Mars? We have millions of views on YouTube.
- Can I give you a kiss?
- Do you want to go to Mars?
- I brought a book for you, can I throw it on the stage?
- I went to Burning Man and it was a shithole, is Mars going to be a shithole?

Adding one to this list:

- I've got a 30 ton electric bus outside, would you mind checking it out after this is over?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Dude I dunno. It genuinely seems like most people would be abhorred of that kind of behavior these days. I know it's the "wiser" and safer route to assume we're always terrible Hobbes-style, but I just got that hope, man.

We would be but we'd do it anyway and that's the true horror of humans. The aliens won't know what hit 'em.

I mean really we're in the process of wiping out pretty much any particularly cool/interesting animal you care to name in the name of dick powder and iPhones. If some alien life is in between us and AI fuckmachines then bro it's all over for them one way or another.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There is no logical reason to subjicate an alien race or even land on their planets for resources.

All resources that we need are more abundant in the asteroid belt or rings around other planets.

We need to leave the planets with life alone or else we get hosed by those Black Monoliths from 2001

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[sees someone who cant land his tiny rocket in a tight space & it randomly explodes with little provocation] This is the guy I would gently caress extremely.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Fried Watermelon posted:

There is no logical reason to subjicate an alien race or even land on their planets for resources.

All resources that we need are more abundant in the asteroid belt or rings around other planets.

We need to leave the planets with life alone or else we get hosed by those Black Monoliths from 2001

Humans are not rational actors.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I believe the #1 motivation for colonizing Mars is not necessarily to act as a stepping stone to colonizing other worlds (maybe far, far into the future) but more to act as a Human Disaster Recovery program when we inevitably annihilate all signs of life on Earth.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a man is dead because he used tesla's autopilot exactly as intended and advertised lmao

Chinese Stakeout
Apr 21, 2010
Elon Musk: truly a howard hughes for the modern age

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

a man is dead because he used tesla's autopilot exactly as intended and advertised lmao

He died for the greater good

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Jim Lovell, Astronaut - Gemini 7, 12 Apollo 8, 13 posted:

"...we live in a world where man has walked on the moon. It wasn't a miracle, we just decided to go."

Humans are :justpost: when it comes to exploring. We do it just because why not.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Fried Watermelon posted:

I just assumed we'd annihilate each other with relativistic asteroids out of a fear that the other party would annihilate us.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Roylicious posted:

i didn't realise tech companies still did anything as prosaic as make any money ever

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Actually he had his hands off the wheel and wasn't paying attention while watching a DVD.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Roylicious posted:

Actually he had his hands off the wheel and wasn't paying attention while watching a DVD.

Engineers playing jenga on the freeway on twitter, a marketing lady on NPR joking about how you can read a book while driving, etc etc etc

adding a disclaimer that "don't actually do any of this awesome poo poo you will definitely be able to do, make sure to always keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road even though you totally won't need to" doesn't mean poo poo

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I don't think Tesla's position has ever been anything but 'you still need to be paying attention' regardless of what some people on Twitter did and I feel like given the fact that driving is a super dangerous activity anyway harping on this one fatality as proof of anything is a bit silly and premature considering the government agencies haven't even concluded their investigation yet.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon posted:

yeah yeah we heard it all before in 1491

Chinese Stakeout
Apr 21, 2010
I feel like sitting in a car carefully watching for mistakes as an AI drives it is actually more stressful and taxing than just driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
unironically seize the assets of every rich person and give them to elon monks

• Locked thread