Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/09/07/492974870/lets-talk-tiki-bars-harmless-fun-or-exploitation

quote:

Letting it go — that's something Type-A D.C. folks like me should probably do more often. But here's the thing: I'm drinking a piña colada out of a ceramic mug that's shaped like what's actually an important cultural symbol for the Hawaiians and the Maori and the Samoans. And that's something I should probably pause and consider for a minute, says Correa from the Smithsonian.

"What you're looking at — the carvings are either representations of gods, or they're representations of ancestors," he says. "So if we were to put that into a context that Americans would understand, it would be like going into a Christian-themed bar" with drinks served in glasses shaped like the Virgin Mary.

Pacific Islanders have, for the most part, ignored this whole trend, Correa says. "But seeing your ancient gods or your ancestors in a bar somewhere far from where you are — I think that can be hard."

Seeing his Hawaiian culture commodified and turned into kitsch can feel invalidating, he adds. "Really at the root of it, it's exploitation," he says. "It's ignoring the real lives, the real culture and the real problems that we do face."

please dont go to tiki bars, they are racist & exploitative.

j/k tiki bars are cool I wish I could remember to go to them more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There is a cool bar where I used to live that was in an old church, so that sounds a-ok to me

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I had a mix drink out of a tikicup at a Chinese restaurant last Sunday and it owned.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
bars are appropriating Irish culture

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I would love to drink a bloody mary out of a mug with the christmoms mug on it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ein cooler Typ posted:

You'd think they would pick a better one smdh

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A Christian themed bar with cups shaped like the virgin Mary would probably actually go over really well with Christians.

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
just because i drink at the biergarten doesn't make me a neo-nazi, i came to those conclusions well before i could drink.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

getting drunk is cool

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
the tears of a once-proud people drip into your Mai Tai making it salty and bitter.

shame on you white people.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Applewhite posted:

A Christian themed bar with cups shaped like the virgin Mary would probably actually go over really well with Christians.

hell yeah

The judgemental look on her face would really help me find the inner spiritual strength to drive home after my 5th long island

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
at this point it feels like cultures just exist to make money off of or get offended over.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

proof of concept posted:

getting drunk is cool

I would happily go to a Polish bar

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JiveHonky posted:

the tears of a once-proud people drip into your Mai Tai making it salty and bitter.

shame on you white people.

When did it stop being cool to humiliate the people you defeated? Time was you exterminated a rival tribe, you'd drink from the skulls of their ancestors and use their temples as public bathrooms. Now we can't even dress up as Ninja Turtles for Halloween without someone bleating that we've appropriated Japanese culture.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Applewhite posted:

When did it stop being cool to humiliate the people you defeated? Time was you exterminated a rival tribe, you'd drink from the skulls of their ancestors and use their temples as public bathrooms. Now we can't even dress up as Ninja Turtles for Halloween without someone bleating that we've appropriated Japanese culture.

And you can loving forget about singing Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

hth posted:

I would love to drink a bloody mary out of a mug with the christmoms mug on it

same

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Hmmm. I just think the tiki theme is lame as gently caress. Nothing to do with it being racist or whatever. It's just themed restaurants are dumb.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We need to get rid of cultural things and ethnic themed stuff because it's racist for cultures to have traits and celebrated things.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
tiki bars only improve when pool/beach side this is the facts.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
cucky pizzone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is Outback Steakhouse racist???
more at eleven...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piMqJ8hmgXM

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I can't wait until all offensiveness is finally destroyed.

*The year 2120, the entire planet's population lives in beige cubes and eats algae.*

Ahh, that's much better.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Yes. If I ever time travel to the 1960's I'll make sure not to go to any Tiki bars.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Tiki has been culturally appropriated to the point where we don't even consider it part of any specific culture, sorry it's too late to complain now, also I hope this happens to every aspect of every culture and would totally drink at a place where all the mugs were stained glass with generic looking saints on them or whatever

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

I can't wait until all offensiveness is finally destroyed.

*The year 2120, the entire planet's population lives in beige cubes and eats algae.*

Ahh, that's much better.

Alge would be like eating seaweed. Which is prominent in asian cultures. You would be appropriating it you racist pig.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

quote:

"So if we were to put that into a context that Americans would understand, it would be like going into a Christian-themed bar" with drinks served in glasses shaped like the Virgin Mary.

a good, cool idea then? Sounds great glad to have his endorsement

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Like what, Hawaii? Nobody picks good cultures for theme bars. See also: Planet Hollywood

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
We overthrew their government and annexed them and they're mad about the tiki bars?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Well now I think it'd be a fun idea to come up with a bunch of Christian themed novelty drinks. Maybe a series of shot glasses that resemble a nativity.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
the fact that the author assumes that the idea of a Christian-themed bar would be somehow shocking and offensive to the reader just demonstrates the kind of people this poo poo is written for

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Has the left tried allowing only concrete squares? It worked* in the USSR :downs:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AugmentedVision posted:

the fact that the author assumes that the idea of a Christian-themed bar would be somehow shocking and offensive to the reader just demonstrates the kind of people this poo poo is written for

Milquetoasts who have the emotional version of that brittle bone disease from Unbreakable?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Applewhite posted:

Milquetoasts who have the emotional version of that brittle bone disease from Unbreakable?

i was thinking "loving morons" but you narrowed it down nicely

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNqnQ-FmIIo

tiki bars are acutally cool and good

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Please don't appropriate the culture of Mr Glass

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Tiki has been culturally appropriated to the point where we don't even consider it part of any specific culture, sorry it's too late to complain now, also I hope this happens to every aspect of every culture and would totally drink at a place where all the mugs were stained glass with generic looking saints on them or whatever

I would try it but I would definitely have low expectations since I assume it would mostly be questionable wine cocktails instead of the time-tested innovations of hard-drinking mid-century degenerates that tiki bars feature

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

AugmentedVision posted:

This is hilarious to me on multiple levels.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Well if they don't want Americans to enjoy the trappings of their culture, they can go back in time 80 years and fight off the Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere themselves so that a bunch of young american guys didn't have to be exposed to this culture to then appropriate it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

The reader only has to be aware of the loving morons to get it, not actually be the type to be offended themselves.

• Locked thread