Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In0ZxpzetMk

Welcome, to THE FUTURE

here is a video made by Philco-Ford in 1967, explaining what 1999 would look like.
They got some things right, and some wrong. mostly it was how the things would be.

Watch Jr. do his homework electronically
Mr. Everyman husband work on the Mars colonisation project
or Housewife make lunch! instantly! (she was told to make a cheeseburger with fries and a cold beer, but makes "cold roast beef" wtf??)

its a fun video of retro futurism, take a look, and post your take on THE FUTURE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW-4LU79qbU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
housewife can shop online! but, only the husband can approve and pay at his console. she better not spend all the money on shoes!! haha!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
LBJ's Great Society turned out pretty good

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7v_6uGlWQ

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
lol now they're watching a puerto rican play drums.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'll watch right after Law and Order SVU is over, Joe Biden is guest starring tonight.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
H. G. Wells in 1936 thought the next century would look like this. Space travel was foreseen to involve being shot out of a big rear end gun so things aren't as rad as they thought they'd be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atwfWEKz00U

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avHo0-qU8xo
From the AT&T Archives (filled with great stuff imo) its "Seeing the Digital Future (1961)"

kindermord posted:

H. G. Wells in 1936 thought the next century would look like this. Space travel was foreseen to involve being shot out of a big rear end gun so things aren't as rad as they thought they'd be.

I'll definitely watch this.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
DATA PHONE!
MACHINE TALKING TO OTHER MACHINES!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Please have the DATA PHONE mail me some Hustler magazines please.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Please have the DATA PHONE mail me some Hustler magazines please.

OK. i need to get my punch cards in order first.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I really dig mid century modern furniture.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

kindermord posted:

This is legit really cool, the special effects are super advanced for 1936. also engineered zombies

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

criscodisco posted:

I'll watch right after Law and Order SVU is over, Joe Biden is guest starring tonight.

Obviously.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
most of these "tomorrowland" things get like 90% right. except cell phones, no one predicted cell phones for some reason. these old AT&T ads are almost entirely correct:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

most of these "tomorrowland" things get like 90% right. except cell phones, no one predicted cell phones for some reason. these old AT&T ads are almost entirely correct:

Whoa. Nice.
I feel like at&t didn't want to admit that their thousands of phone booths and miles of copper wire would become obsolete so quickly to fiber and wireless broadband

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzpdd4pWvM&t=78s

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

shoophobo posted:

Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avHo0-qU8xo
From the AT&T Archives (filled with great stuff imo) its "Seeing the Digital Future (1961)"
I really, really did not expect there to be a video named "Seeing the Digital Future" from the year 1961.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, the 1993 AT&T ads were amazing for how closely they predicted Skype, GoogleBooks, online education, having your personal data electronically held in an ID card, etc.

Really the single most wrong guess is that people would be skyping home to check on their kid... from a phone booth. Aside from that really close, and partially correct for how they anticipated being able to just drive through a marked lane and your car would pay for the toll (correct) but in their version you have to pull out your credit card and swipe it through your dashboard while still driving at 60mph.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

shoophobo posted:

Whoa. Nice.
I feel like at&t didn't want to admit that their thousands of phone booths and miles of copper wire would become obsolete so quickly to fiber and wireless broadband

loving drat

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't forget, AT&T WAS telecommunications.

They patented the basis of fiber optic in the 1890s and helped launch the first intercontinental communications satellite in the 60s. Cross oceanic phone communication still wasn't possible without fiber optic in the 70s despite us fuckin laying down a telegram cable between Britain and USA in 1850something

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Don't forget, AT&T WAS telecommunications.

They patented the basis of fiber optic in the 1890s and helped launch the first intercontinental communications satellite in the 60s. Cross oceanic phone communication still wasn't possible without fiber optic in the 70s despite us fuckin laying down a telegram cable between Britain and USA in 1850something

But, gently caress corporations, amirite millennials? :v:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I wish my apartment was made of modular hexagons, I could really use a weight room/medical bay

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VendaGoat posted:

Well we broke them up and still got cell phones and internet soo

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Even Marx said you must go through the industrialization of Capitalism to reach Communism so ?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Even Marx said you must go through the industrialization of Capitalism to reach Communism so ?

Get me a loving coffee and shut up.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VendaGoat posted:

Imagine the first trans Atlantic message between the president and the queen, that didn't take ten days but 16 hours

Monumental. Historic. Until some fuckin moron (reputately british) hosed the cable up by over charging it.

You see, American engineers believed the best method of maintaining the connection was low voltage that checked for spikes. Some chav disagreed and aimed to keep high voltage on the wire until the cable broke down in less than a month.

The first successful trans Atlantic cable took three attempts to lay down. It kept breaking and scrubbing 12-15 day voyages. The cable was fuckin insulated with tar.

After the chav ruined the cable in like 1864, it took loving 12 years for the company that laid it to get funding to do it again. To do it right. They laid shorter cables in the Mediterranean and stuff and figured out the specific tar / iron mixe to make it last longer.

loving 12 years!!!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Now we can just launch satellites into earth orbit with the lowest bidding private company, and it takes like a year to work everything out and then explode the ship on the launch pad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Yeah, the 1993 AT&T ads were amazing for how closely they predicted Skype, GoogleBooks, online education, having your personal data electronically held in an ID card, etc.

Really the single most wrong guess is that people would be skyping home to check on their kid... from a phone booth. Aside from that really close, and partially correct for how they anticipated being able to just drive through a marked lane and your car would pay for the toll (correct) but in their version you have to pull out your credit card and swipe it through your dashboard while still driving at 60mph.

i like the part where they figured out wireless internet, but the best thing they could think to do with it was send a FAX from the beach. also the lovely 90s style ipad. they didnt come up with that one their own though, that was star trek TNG

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Imagine the first trans Atlantic message between the president and the queen, that didn't take ten days but 16 hours

Monumental. Historic. Until some fuckin moron (reputately british) hosed the cable up by over charging it.

You see, American engineers believed the best method of maintaining the connection was low voltage that checked for spikes. Some chav disagreed and aimed to keep high voltage on the wire until the cable broke down in less than a month.

The first successful trans Atlantic cable took three attempts to lay down. It kept breaking and scrubbing 12-15 day voyages. The cable was fuckin insulated with tar.

After the chav ruined the cable in like 1864, it took loving 12 years for the company that laid it to get funding to do it again. To do it right. They laid shorter cables in the Mediterranean and stuff and figured out the specific tar / iron mixe to make it last longer.

loving 12 years!!!

im trans atlantic

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I can forgive them not figuring out that the future would actually be a technological hell of endless meme shitposting and that the generation responsible for this video would eventually horde all wealth unto themselves and begin starving the planet, I mean I can get that they didn't think their Logans-run sense of aesthetic would go out of fashion~

But none of them figured out that somebody would attach a wire to a loving typewriter and create a keyboard, huh?

Computers are still dumb as gently caress mind you, every smartphone comes with 'Voice Recognition' on par with a mentally disabled elderly grandparent. I'm sure the people in 1967 wouldn't be impressed if you asked a computer a simple question like 'Nearest Coffee Shop', and the computer went 'Yes, searching for nearest poopy plops, there are 24 poopy plops in a 10 mile radius.'

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 2, 2016

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ape Fist posted:

Computers are still dumb as gently caress mind you, every smartphone comes with 'Voice Recognition' on par with a mentally disabled elderly grandparent. I'm sure the people in 1967 wouldn't be impressed if you asked a computer a simple question like 'Nearest Coffee Shop', and the computer went 'Yes, searching for nearest poopy plops, there are 24 poopy plops in a 10 mile radius.'

you're holding it wrong

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

I can forgive them not figuring out that the future would actually be a technological hell of endless meme shitposting and that the generation responsible for this video would eventually horde all wealth unto themselves and begin starving the planet, I mean I can get that they didn't think their Logans-run sense of aesthetic would go out of fashion~

I imagine if they had any idea, nuclear war would have been a real thing.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
we are not colonizing mars, elon musk is a horrible person, none of you will ever know what it is like to be in space (horribly boring and inconvenient)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Ape Fist posted:

My experience (Android, I imagine iOS is the same) is it works pretty much perfectly in both languages I've used it, English and Finnish. You gotta talk to it normally, if you try to make your MAXIMALLY-CLEAR-ROBOT-IMPRESSION it won't get you.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Now we can just launch satellites into earth orbit with the lowest bidding private company, and it takes like a year to work everything out and then explode the ship on the launch pad.
All the previous rockets were built by private companies too, just under NASA contract and they also exploded sometimes. :ssh:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

"A society rich in leisure and taken-for-granted comfort"

Nailed it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

"A society rich in leisure and taken-for-granted comfort"

Nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SY1gEgjtc4

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

laffo the future family don't even despise each other and themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
It's 1999, and a pill exists that allows full grown men to make love to each other.
It's 1999, and as simple as using a typewriter, your goodly wife can find a black man and summon him to her bed from across town.
It's 1999 and society dresses like the Solid Gold dancers.

• Locked thread