Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I have to speak on a panel in front of between one and three hundred people tomorrow. i'm part of a group of four people reading a ten page narrative that i did a lot of the primary research for (and wrote the first draft of), which will serve as an introduction to the other panelists who will be taking questions. luckily i'm not gonna be speaking extemporaneously at all, which is good, because i'd probably just drop dead now if that were the case

anyway i'm absolutely petrified with anxiety, does anyone have some useful tips to keep me from breaking down completely? i've lectured college classes before, led 50 person study sessions, etc etc but this is entirely different and i am fuckin' scared as hell. please help me goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

exactly 0

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'm sure there are some GBS posters who are eminent and important figures in their fields

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just rehearse. As long as you got it down pat before you walk into the room it will relieve lot of anxiety. Also, gently caress those motherfuckers. You're speaking to them., they aren't speaking to you. You start off better than them.

Maybe try and get your hands on some propranolol too.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
More like good public REEKERS!!!!!!

e: what sort of mind-altering substances do you have access to? alcohol is not the worst, but you can do better if you can get better.

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 3, 2016

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ork of Fiction posted:

More like good public REEKERS!!!!!!

e: what sort of mind-altering substances do you have access to? alcohol is not the worst, but you can do better if you can get better.

i've got a big bag of kratom extract

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Me irl at Goodwill :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZ-5kq89eU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Frog Act posted:

i've got a big bag of kratom extract

You get nauseous off it?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Just rehearse. As long as you got it down pat before you walk into the room it will relieve lot of anxiety. Also, gently caress those motherfuckers. You're speaking to them., they aren't speaking to you. You start off better than them.

Maybe try and get your hands on some propranolol too.

Yeah this, just practice and you'll be fine. Don't go over it in your head, set up your laptop and get your laser pointer/clicker, and walk around your room pointing at your computer screen and speak out loud making eye contact with the wall like a retard

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ork of Fiction posted:

You get nauseous off it?

nah i have an outrageous tolerance, i'll probbaly eat like 2-3 grams in the morning to level me out, i'm thinking

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
I tried to imagine the audience in their underwear one time, but then I got steaming mad in front of everyone thinking about my boss' 6 pack abs and massive bugle.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I think the best thing you can do is to keep in mind that your audience is there because they WANT to hear what you have to say; they're not there to rag on you. About the only time the latter is true is stand-up comedy. You know your subject; you're an authority on it; your audience is not. They're not there to critique you on the quality of your delivery. They're there for the content.

Anyway that's what works for me, and I've given dozens of public presentations. Good luck, you'll do fine.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Time yourself, too, and figure out what pace you should be going at, figure out what time should roughly correspond to each slide

You're gonna be slower when you actually present so make sure you're a few minutes faster than the time limit when you practice

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i used to be real bad at it until i had a boss who just made me do presentations all the time until i stopped being scared of it because it was just a regular thing. thats probably not helpful in your current situation though sorry

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Plan it through, talk it through at least once. If you've got your own script its more like youre taking the audience along instead of speaking TO the audience. Idk if that makes sense but it works for me.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
Just fuckin' fake confidence. They won't know you're nervous unless you show them. Establish eye contact early with a few people throughout different parts of the room. You'll find probably them nodding and being supportive. Since you're just reading, you don't have to worry about forgetting what to say, just be careful not to go too fast. Pause for punctuation, etc. Also, don't stare at thr other three who are reading while you wait for your turn, watch the audience while you listen.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I have Hitleresque levels of public speaking talent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make eye contact and use inflection in your voice. Don't read directly off a paper, use notecards or whatever to list key talking points and go from there. Practice, too.

Don't think you'll really need more than that.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Also, a little dissociative takes the edge off nicely w/o making you too stoned to remember things.

e: seriously, going into a public speaking gig w/o drugs is like trying to be a pro athlete w/o drugs.
ee: 'oh i'm just going to ride this bike 100 miles w/o using steriods or injecting my own red blood cells back into my body, lol.'

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 3, 2016

PizzaThief
Sep 22, 2006

Traveling through time AND space?
If a sentence is broken over two pages, write the next few words in the bottom margin and a little stet where you pick up on the next page. This will allow you a steady flow, as opposed to a broken and awkward pause.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
If I don't pass out, poo poo/piss myself or vomit I consider my speaking performances a success FYI.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PizzaThief posted:

If a sentence is broken over two pages, write the next few words in the bottom margin and a little stet where you pick up on the next page. This will allow you a steady flow, as opposed to a broken and awkward pause.

Wouldn't it be more awkward to read an entire speech of a sheet of paper?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Practice your talk over and over until the event. A beer before can help relax your nerves.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Acres of Quakers posted:

Just fuckin' fake confidence. They won't know you're nervous unless you show them. Establish eye contact early with a few people throughout different parts of the room. You'll find probably them nodding and being supportive. Since you're just reading, you don't have to worry about forgetting what to say, just be careful not to go too fast. Pause for punctuation, etc. Also, don't stare at thr other three who are reading while you wait for your turn, watch the audience while you listen.

cool, thanks, i was kinda wondering where to look (i had been told to focus on one audience member, but a few sounds better)

PizzaThief posted:

excellent idea, thanks, i do have one segment that rolls over onto another page in the middle of a critical and incisive quote from my original research, so i'll make sure not to disrupt the flow there

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Walk in and absolutely don't give a poo poo about what anybody in the audience thinks of you because in general you're the expert on the topic upon which you're speaking.

From an academic standpoint, even if someone is intimately familiar with your topic, there's good odds that 95% of it is novel to them.

Also, pretend like you're speaking to a single person, with a slightly (SLIGHTLY) slower cadence than a conversational tone and better enunciation. Not too slow and pronounced, though, or people will think you're disabled.

source: I've been a teacher for about 7 years now plus I presented my MS Bio thesis research to a room of ~200 people at one point (which has had ZERO bearing on my current occupation)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I turn bright red and start sweating and then usually piss myself or pass out or both.

So I'm maybe 5/10 as far as goons go?

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Lock eyes with one person in the crowd during the course of your speech.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Redmanred posted:

Lock eyes with one person in the crowd during the course of your speech.

Then follow them out to the parking lot after.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
There are four things that it really helps me to remember when giving these kinds of things.

1. Reherse.

2. SLOW DOWN AND ENNUNCIATE (along with not rehersing, not doing this is the biggest cause of ummms, uhhhhhs, likes, and so on)

3. Put your hands in one place and mostly leave them there (can you tell I am a natural podium spaz yet?)

4. You and everyone you will be speaking to are gonna die for real someday soonish regardless of whether or not you utterly nail your speech. At that point any shame you might bring upon yourself or your house is loving moot anyway. So unclench that sphincter a little. NOT TOO MUCH THO. Ha ha.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Practice and you'll be fine. The moments before getting called up are always worse than actually doing it.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Know your subject and speak "conversationally" with your audience. If you happen to get something wrong during your speech, don't panic, because you're not going to be called out on it. I'm not saying be inaccurate, but it's not worth freaking out mid speech over a minor mistake.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Please don't read your slides.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I am, but I had to do it as a pastors kid at a really young age. Best advice, no one in the audience gives a poo poo; think about how many speeches and talks you can even remember. You aren't running for office, just talk into the mic and you're set, no one will care about that one word you said or whatever.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imma successful standup comic

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

canpakes posted:

Imma successful standup comic

Condolences.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Start off with a joke about something light but also nonexistent so you don't offend anyone. I suggest the Holocaust

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Drink a bunch before the event so that you don't give a gently caress.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Start off with a joke about something light but also nonexistent so you don't offend anyone. I suggest the Holocaust

the whole thing is about gay rights so i bet this would be a pretty good icebreaker really, maybe i could wear a pink triangle for laffs

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im also the only straight person on the stage, which isn't a problem or anything, but is an interesting inversino of usual proportions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I am a leader of men

• Locked thread